Nebraska License Plates

General discussion on all things Omaha.

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

Zephyr
Human Relations

Post by Zephyr »

Aaron, thanks for the plug on "Cosmetropolis" (if anyone wants a copy, just pm me). Could I use some of your quotes in my intoduction, like the Leonardo DaVinci? I think that would spruce it up lots.
StreetsOfOmaha
City Council

Post by StreetsOfOmaha »

Absolutely, Eric. Go for it. DaVinci said it first. Not me ;) .
"The right to have access to every building in the city by private motorcar in an age when everyone possesses such a vehicle is actually the right to destroy the city."
Lewis Mumford, The Highway and the City, 1963
Zephyr
Human Relations

Post by Zephyr »

Thanks, buddy!
DMRyan
Human Relations

Post by DMRyan »

You know what guys, as a government employee in the planning sector no less, it's like this everywhere you go. Big Business runs the show in Des Moines as well and I'm sure many cities are the same. The City of Omaha could do more in the comprehensive downtown planning department, and a private group supported by BIG BUSINESS tax dollars should be doing a much better job of promoting downtown Omaha, but in light of budget constraints where real life city services are being reduced, the City's hands are tied.

This is kind of hard to describe, but all the enthusiasm and vision in the world on the Omaha planning staff payroll doesn't get you what you want. The reality of getting a development built sets in; the reality being conformance to zoning codes and all kinds of other strict rules, citizens protesting tax payer dollars being invested, and the cost and difficulty of obtaining financing that so many projects endure. Just like a cop must do on their job, you can't be so passionate about your job that you start taking things personal. The reality of planning is that you could put all your energy and enthusiasm into a project, only to see it go down in flames. You can't let that take much out of you and must continue to roll with the punches. Having this kind of passion also takes a lot of free time "off the clock". Being a non-judgemental representative of the city, this kind of work often can't be done by the average planner, abiding by proper ethics. The entire process is slow and government is only part of the equation.
projectman
Human Relations

Post by projectman »

Well spoken DM.
DMRyan
Human Relations

Post by DMRyan »

Thank you.

I'll take it one step further by agreeing that many in the government sector treat work somewhat apethetically and only do what is asked of them, not chosing to take on any more responsibility. However, instead of blaming the planning department, criticize the city council. They're the ones the appropriate the considerable amount of money that would be required to put together such a plan. The planning staff doesn't just sit down one day and draft a comp plan for downtown. There's a considerable expense in staff time, holding meetings to get the public involved, adding fancy graphics and printing the plan. Since the planning staff works at the discretion of the city council, if they jump, the planning department will ask how far.

It is still up to many entities in the very influential private sector to get the ball rolling though.
StreetsOfOmaha
City Council

Post by StreetsOfOmaha »

You're absolutely right on all counts, Ryan. And you've reafirmed my decision not to go into planning, but rather some form of private development. :)

You're right, I didn't even mention the city council, but I easily could have, along with the mayor's office, our state senators, governor....etc.

And whether the citizens are "putting up" with this lack of enthusiasm and routine monotony in city government, or actually CAUSING IT with their demands for low taxes or whatever the case may be, the burdon still rests on the people of the state.
"The right to have access to every building in the city by private motorcar in an age when everyone possesses such a vehicle is actually the right to destroy the city."
Zephyr
Human Relations

Post by Zephyr »

In Denver, I have actually been witness to a proactive planning department and Mayor. I mean sure, there's still the same government monotony and the people are still a little difficult to work with, but there's real drive, ambition, and motivation to lead the city into progressive change. The plans that Denver have put out recently and are currently working on are top-notch. I know Omaha can go above and beyond this, with the right leadership.
guy4omaha
Parks & Recreation

Post by guy4omaha »

StreetsOfOmaha wrote:I'm glad you asked, Guy4Omaha. I'll do my best to answer it. And Projectman, I certainly wouldn't include anyone from this board in the "simple-minded drones". I'm simply saying that they exist, and sadly I think they hold the majority.

I certainly know Omaha. To quote Leonardo DaVinci, "To know something is to love it. If you little know something you can love it only little or not at all." I know Omaha so well I can't help but love it. But with such knowledge and love of one's home also comes the ability to perceive its weeknesses. Only from someone who fully knows and loves something can criticism truly be valued. When I talk about the majority of people in Nebraska just not "getting it", I'm using that as a blanket term to describe many people in Nebraska's (absolutely including Omaha) reluctance, and possible inability, to think in a forward manner. Too many people in this state are willing to settle for the

Code: Select all

mundane, the status quo, the monotonous
; attitudes that are all too prevailant in our state and local governments. And I absolutely think it's more of a problem here than in most places. We certainly are not the worst, but we are so far from even being average. Eric Miller (Zephyr) recently wrote a document called "Cosmetropolis". It's a vision for the Omaha metropolitan region over the next 20-some years. It is absolutely full of fabulous ideas and concepts that will enrich the lives of everyone in the Omaha region. However, he brought up one very good point, among others. We all know that Omaha has been making some pretty major strides in its attitudes toward urban growth and development. But what most people haven't stopped to realize is that it's almost ALL been privately persued. And good for those people and corporations that had the vision and courage to take it uppon themselves to better our city. But where is the leadership? Destination Midtown, North Downtown, OmahaByDesign...all privately persued. Of course, the city was dragged into it as an afterthought because everything needs city aproval. As Eric pointed out in "Cosmetropolis", Omaha doesn't even have a downtown plan. What major city doesn't have a downtown plan? Omaha's planning department is full of people with no more personality or vision than a broom. It's just their job. They go there, do their paper work, and head home. It just seems so common in the government offices of our state and our local city governments. And my point is, most people in the state are perfectly comfortable with sitting back and letting this static leadership remain. It's time to ask for more. More from our city and more from our state. Hooray for the private sector for getting things going, and reveiling to us what horrible leadership we enjoy here in the good life.
Thanks for responding Streets. I can relate with a lot of what you say regarding the city government not being progressive or proactive enough. We certainly are all witness to how Hal Daub's administration made a difference. A good mayor, city council and planning department can make a difference. However, they are not the real power brokers of change and momentum.

I worked in the Mayor's office and with the Mayor's Office of Economic Development. As such I had a lot of contact with the Planning Department as well. The biggest "eye-opener" I got at the time is how all of the public officials and administrators only get the power that the corporate machinery in town allows them to have. Hal Daub likely could not have got anywhere with his ideas if the corporate big shots had not agreed to go along. And if my experience of 20 years ago is indicative at all of the norm, then Hal was probably only the public spokesperson for the World-Herald, Kiewit, FNB, UP, etc.

The fact that most of our recent developments and progression have come from the private sector is the norm. Maybe that is your point of dismay. But my experience has been that City Hall cannot drive the corporate community unless it wants to give City Hall the appearance of leadership.

I would contend that Omaha is blessed with great corporate leadership. At least the last 10 years seems to indicate a real awakening. This came during a period of great economic expansion. The last several years have presented a quite different reality to contend with.

So if your comments of simple minded drones is directly mainly toward a lack of progressivism at City Hall I can see why you would feel that way. But hey, they have never been the real leaders anyway. Not in the sense that they are the ones with the power to get real projects done. If City Hall has power on the scale of 10, corporate power is at 1000. The simple minded drones at City Hall probably know this and learn to not get to excited or to dismayed because they realize it is largely out of their hands anyway.

Where I have trouble following your sentiment is why you seem to direct this frustration and simple minded drone label at the whole state. How does the fact that someone in Custer County Nebraska who may in fact appreciate things that appear to some as mundane and monotonous hold back Omaha? And as far as monotonous and mundane go, they are every bit as much in the eye of the beholder as beauty and sophistication.

I have known Omaha all my life as well and I love my city and have great hopes for her. Yet Omaha is not for everyone. The attributes of urbanism are not the only attributes worth appreciating. As the world becomes more and more urban, Nebraska and its rural cultures offer treasures that are becoming more and more unique and worthy of preservation as well.

Nebraska is really one of the more interesting states in the union. It is where urban meets rural meets wilderness. It is where eastern culture meets west. Eastern Nebraska looks to the east to places such as Chicago. Eastern Nebraska is about grain farmers. Western Nebraska looks to places such as Denver and Montana. Western Nebraska is about cowboys and ranchers. Eastern deciduous forests meet western ponderosa pines.

I don't think we are going to agree but I really do encourage you to find ways to celebrate the diversity and uniqueness of Nebraska and her cultures rather than let frustration rule. We have a tremendous opportunity to learn about different ways to look at life and appreciate things that may at first glance look simple, boring, mundane and monotonous.

I confess I am still not getting all of it. All things take time though.
My old signature got too old. So old it was getting almost as old me as me. Yeah, it was up there in years.
StreetsOfOmaha
City Council

Re: Nebraska License Plates

Post by StreetsOfOmaha »

Guy4Omaha, Thanks so much for that response to my comments. However, at times I couldn't tell if you were addressing me or someone who doesn't appreciate Omaha and Nebraska ;) .
Zephyr
Human Relations

Re: Nebraska License Plates

Post by Zephyr »

I guess I'd like to add (and speak on Aaron's behalf) that we're not envisioning something like a communist government for Omaha; but, merely saying that the city needs to take the lead on important plans, of which businesses would obviously have the prime interests in.
Coyote
City Council

New License Plates?

Post by Coyote »

Bill would allow more specialty plates
Lincoln Journal Star wrote:Nebraskans will be able to choose from a wider variety of specialty license plates if Sen. Mike Foley has his way.

* Child abuse prevention plates.

* Plates for the 10,000 volunteer firefighters across the state.

* Conservation plates.

* Fourteen varieties of military plates — Navy, Army, Air Force and more.
One of the major barricades — a plate production system that made it expensive to produce small numbers of specialty plates — is gone. The new digital printing system, used on plates since 2004, allows the state to change plate designs with much less expense, according to Beverly Neth, director of the Nebraska Department of Motor Vehicles. But any plan to expand specialty license plates still faces a major obstacle — a potential Ernie filibuster.
StreetsOfOmaha
City Council

Post by StreetsOfOmaha »

Wow, those are all pretty boring. I'd go for quality of design over quantity...:)
jsheets
Human Relations

Post by jsheets »

I'm a Husker grad myself, but even I see the need for Creighton, UNO, and UNK plates.... Hopefully those ideas were floated?
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

StreetsOfOmaha wrote:Wow, those are all pretty boring. I'd go for quality of design over quantity
Other states have an assortment of pretty cool Conservation plates.

StreetsOfOmaha
City Council

Post by StreetsOfOmaha »

I like the idea of 'conservation plates', but aren't all the one's you just listed various state symbols?

But yeah, there SOOOO needs to be at least UNO and Creighton licence plates. And what the heck, why not an Omaha plate showing the skyline? Come on.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

StreetsOfOmaha wrote:I like the idea of 'conservation plates', but aren't all the one's you just listed various state symbols?

But yeah, there SOOOO needs to be at least UNO and Creighton licence plates.
The Conservation plates are not necessarily state symbols. Ohio does have a cardinal license plate, but the one posted above was created in 1999 for the Wildlife Diversity Fund, and generated $650,000 for the bald eagles.

They also have them for Breast Cancer awareness, Cincinnati Bengals and Reds, Cleveland Browns and Indians, Ohio State and Ohio Unuversity, Bowling Green University... 24 Colleges or Universities, they have 80 total and used to have a 150 plate minimum before it got cancelled but now they are going to 5000 minimum.

Texas has 85 and a 3500 minimum or a $15,000 deposit to handle the cost. California has 8 with a 5000 minimum and only one school - UCLA.
ModestMouse
Home Owners Association

Post by ModestMouse »

Iowa has Iowa, Iowa State and UNI licence plates if I'm not mistaken.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

ModestMouse wrote:Iowa has Iowa, Iowa State and UNI licence plates if I'm not mistaken.
Yes but they are ugly. :roll: That is unless you really like their school colors.

Image Image Image
icejammer
County Board

Post by icejammer »

Good thing you qualified that Coyote! :wink: I would hope that with new technology they'll update those school plates. When they came out 17 years ago though, the design was pretty good for the technology available.
"Destiny is not a matter of chance, it is a matter of choice; it is not a thing to be waited for, it is a thing to be achieved."

--William Jennings Bryan
Asten
Human Relations

Post by Asten »

icejammer wrote:Good thing you qualified that Coyote! :wink: I would hope that with new technology they'll update those school plates. When they came out 17 years ago though, the design was pretty good for the technology available.
I'll give them credit for updating the ISU ones to the new logo (albiet a few years belatedly, though).

My brother lives in Dubuque, and he proclaims his non-iowanness by not having the normal plate. :lol:
custudent
Home Owners Association

Post by custudent »

Washington has vanity license plates for Gonzaga and I know several states have plates for Notre Dame, so the precedence for doing a vanity plate for a private school is out there. I'd get a CU one if they made it available. ;)
joeglow
Planning Board

Post by joeglow »

StreetsOfOmaha wrote:Wow, those are all pretty boring.
-Not to those that proudly served in the military.
StreetsOfOmaha
City Council

Post by StreetsOfOmaha »

joeglow wrote:
StreetsOfOmaha wrote:Wow, those are all pretty boring.
-Not to those that proudly served in the military.
Sorry, but you can't speak for other people. Only yourself.
the1wags
County Board

Nebraska License Plates

Post by the1wags »

Wow, who designs these things? They all suck IMO. I find numero uno the least objectionable.

http://www.omaha.com/index.php?u_page=2 ... d=10625935
Big E
City Council

Post by Big E »

#2 is by far the most legible.  It's really not even close.  It will also do the least to clash with the color and styling of whatever car it is on.

The only thing that's uglier than an emerald green car is an emerald green car with a blue, orange and red license plate on it.

BTW, why no poll on this thread?
Stable genius.
DTO Luv
City Council

Post by DTO Luv »

All of those plates say "Nebraska: We Have Nothing Here"

If the black and white one had some kind of design it wouldn't be too bad. I wish they would have had those Omaha skyline ones a few years ago. Why the |expletive| doesn't NE offer different plate designs? Let me change that. Why is NE's only alternative plate option husker related?
DTO
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

I vote for number 1.

Why #4 the blue option, is even a choice is beyond me...

DTO, they were trying to pass a law where there were more options than Husker Plates.  Plates for Creighton, UNO, and other groups be made under that law if  you had "X" amount of people sign a petition or something!  I think a Mav Hockey plate would be great in Omaha.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Big E wrote:BTW, why no poll on this thread?
Done
almighty_tuna
City Council

Post by almighty_tuna »

At least it doesn't have chimney rock on it again.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

almighty_tuna wrote:At least it doesn't have chimney rock on it again.
OR COVERED WAGONS!
TitosBuritoBarn
Planning Board

Post by TitosBuritoBarn »

Ha, so it seems that our famous natural landmark, Chimney Rock, and our heritage with the Oregon Trail are "nothing" and that our 77,000 square mile state is best represented by a picture of a skyline to signify all two of our large cities.

Although I do think that a modern represtionation of the plate we used to have with the skyline on one side and Chimney Rock on the other would be a good idea.

I voted for the bird one. The black and white gradient was a close second, but it looks like a desgn an art student whipped up in five minutes and having the state name on there twice in the same size font looks weird. The one with the capial looks old fashioned and rural up close and the blue one looks ugly.
Last edited by TitosBuritoBarn on Mon May 04, 2009 4:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
almighty_tuna
City Council

Post by almighty_tuna »

TitosBuritoBarn wrote:Ha, so it seems that our famous natural landmark, Chimney Rock, and our heritage with the Oregon Trail are "nothing" and that our 77,000 square mile state is best represented by a picture of a skyline to signify all two of our large cities.
I disagree.  I don't think anyone is discounting the history and importance associated with Chimney Rock and the path to the west through Nebraska.  However I think many people are tired of our state representing itself via plates as barely out of the 19th century.
Big E
City Council

Post by Big E »

TitosBuritoBarn wrote:Ha, so it seems that our famous natural landmark, Chimney Rock, and our heritage with the Oregon Trail are "nothing" and that our 77,000 square mile state is best represented by a picture of a skyline to signify all two of our large cities.
Says the guy living in Council Bluffs.   :;):
Stable genius.
ShawJ
Parks & Recreation

Post by ShawJ »

They're all pretty bad. I will cry the most if #2 wins but will also cry if 3 & 4 win as well. 1 isn't great, but it's the best IMO.
SabrinaFaire
Home Owners Association

Post by SabrinaFaire »

Illinois' main plate has Abe Lincoln on it. Howz about Nebraska gets Gerald Ford? Eh? Eh? Johnny Carson? Henry Fonda?
Candleshoe
Human Relations

Post by Candleshoe »

from Maxim.com

TitosBuritoBarn
Planning Board

Post by TitosBuritoBarn »

SabrinaFaire wrote:Illinois' main plate has Abe Lincoln on it. Howz about Nebraska gets Gerald Ford? Eh? Eh? Johnny Carson? Henry Fonda?
Make it Marlon Brando with the slogan 'Nebraska: We'll make you offers you can't refuse' and a special Omaha plate with the 311 logo along with the slogan 'Omaha stylee' and its a deal!
GetUrban
Planning Board

Post by GetUrban »

I voted for 2 simply because it will look best on my silver and black cars. 1 looks the least like anything I've seen for Nebraska before, but I don't like the colors. But that's what you get with the Meadowlark and Goldenrod, I guess.

How about the Kerry Bridge on the new plate? That would be cool, even though technically we share it with Iowa. I doubt that would go over too well with all of the bridge naysayers, and Republicans.

Actually, I'd be happy with a black bar code on a white plate, or vice-versa.

Edit....Wait, I don't like how #2 has Nebraska.gov at top and Nebraska running down the left side.  I change my vote to #1 in Black & White.
Last edited by GetUrban on Mon May 04, 2009 10:08 pm, edited 2 times in total.
He said "They are some big, ugly red brick buildings"
...and then they were gone.
ShawJ
Parks & Recreation

Post by ShawJ »

#2 makes no sense to me. Why would you put NEBRASKA vertically and then NEBRASKA.org horizontally RIGHT next to it? Way too heavy on the top left side and too much Nebraska in a small area. Also, a black gradient for the background? At least the others have something in the background.