Nebraska License Plates

General discussion on all things Omaha.

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

Ryan Air
Home Owners Association

Re: Idea For A Graphic Design For New License Plates In 2017

Post by Ryan Air »

I like designing things... especially livery and plates. I am a nerd, I know- but I didn't start it, just sayin'
Here's my go at it:
Attachments
plate.ne.jpg
plate.ne.jpg (33.84 KiB) Viewed 4024 times
Busguy2010
County Board

Post by Busguy2010 »

You know, I'd probably vote for something like that. Fantastic blend of all the expected landmarks. I would just add sunset colors where the white is.
nativeomahan
County Board

Post by nativeomahan »

I just think all of the proposed plates look amateurish.
Returning from Mexico, the license plates there all look beautiful.
http://mexicoplates.moini.net
Ryan Air
Home Owners Association

Post by Ryan Air »

I am an amateur- the reason for a more simple design is as follows:
Law enforcement likes plates with no background design. White, silver etc... easy to read. They also like numbers toward the top in a nice contrast to the simple background and prefer the state name on the bottom. The simpler, the easier to read. After all, that is the purpose of the plate. Also, I was thinking the more simple the design, the cheaper to produce... but I don't know anything about that.

This is another design idea. Slight silver background, dark navy reflective plate number with the Capitol and State Seal. On top the State Motto "Equality before the law." Im getting better with font and scale.
Attachments
plate.jpg
plate.jpg (37.73 KiB) Viewed 3927 times
MadMartin8
Planning Board

Post by MadMartin8 »

Ryan Air wrote:I am an amateur- the reason for a more simple design is as follows:
Law enforcement likes plates with no background design. White, silver etc... easy to read. They also like numbers toward the top in a nice contrast to the simple background and prefer the state name on the bottom. The simpler, the easier to read. After all, that is the purpose of the plate. Also, I was thinking the more simple the design, the cheaper to produce... but I don't know anything about that.

This is another design idea. Slight silver background, dark navy reflective plate number with the Capitol and State Seal. On top the State Motto "Equality before the law." Im getting better with font and scale.
I like the idea, I would include a bit more background behind the numbering; perhaps the typical Nebraska-esque prairie scene. I'd also adjust the coloring on the numbering, it looks slightly purple. Then again that could just be my eyes.
No posts exist for this topic
Ryan Air
Home Owners Association

Post by Ryan Air »

MadMartin8 wrote:
Ryan Air wrote:I am an amateur- the reason for a more simple design is as follows:

I like the idea, I would include a bit more background behind the numbering; perhaps the typical Nebraska-esque prairie scene. I'd also adjust the coloring on the numbering, it looks slightly purple. Then again that could just be my eyes.
Not your eyes- I just looked at it on here using my iPhone and it looks purple. Now on my LED monitor it looks more blue, but not the correct blue, the translation of color from the program I used to the JPEG image apparently changed because of the hue or something? It is the same color as the seal- the seal in the JPEG looks off too.

I appreciate the suggestion about the background, but my design intention is simplicity and easy to read for law enforcement. I realize it looks plain, but I'm hoping an interesting font or something will make it appealing. I was sort of inspired by the California plate... I've always liked it and think its classy and easy to read.
Trips
Library Board

Post by Trips »

When did they start adding the additional designs? Last week was the first I noticed the $5 Military Honor plate and Sesquicentennial plate.

They are now up to 9 different designs.
Ryan Air
Home Owners Association

Post by Ryan Air »

Ok, last one for a while. Promise
Attachments
METRO COUNTY.jpg
METRO COUNTY.jpg (48.34 KiB) Viewed 3816 times
CASS COUNTY.jpg
CASS COUNTY.jpg (55.74 KiB) Viewed 3816 times
Ryan Air
Home Owners Association

Post by Ryan Air »

And in black
Attachments
metro county black.jpg
metro county black.jpg (40.57 KiB) Viewed 3806 times
cass county black.jpg
cass county black.jpg (54.46 KiB) Viewed 3806 times
GetUrban
Planning Board

Post by GetUrban »

I like the white, black, and red scheme. Other colors have typically looked dated too soon and don't look as good on all automobile colors. You're on the right track.

Can you do an inverse of that with black background and white letters and building line work? It would have an old blueprint look, except in black & white.
He said "They are some big, ugly red brick buildings"
...and then they were gone.
bigredmed
Parks & Recreation

Post by bigredmed »

Sorry to be a pill, but can we please ditch the skyline ending in Chimney Rock? Honestly, its pretty "basic" and getting old. We have had several plates with this theme and I would almost prefer to have no pattern at all. My favorite plate was New Mexico's. Plain generic plate with a Zia between the numbers. Would be nice to do something like that here in Nebraska.
RNcyanide
Planning Board

Post by RNcyanide »

bigredmed wrote:Sorry to be a pill, but can we please ditch the skyline ending in Chimney Rock? Honestly, its pretty "basic" and getting old. We have had several plates with this theme and I would almost prefer to have no pattern at all. My favorite plate was New Mexico's. Plain generic plate with a Zia between the numbers. Would be nice to do something like that here in Nebraska.
In lieu of the Zia, it would probably be a covered wagon, an ear of corn, or a football. :roll:
When fortune smiles on something as violent and ugly as revenge, it seems proof like no other that not only does God exist, you're doing his will.

The Bride
bigredmed
Parks & Recreation

Post by bigredmed »

Simple and not basic.
Ryan Air
Home Owners Association

Post by Ryan Air »

GetUrban wrote:I like the white, black, and red scheme. Other colors have typically looked dated too soon and don't look as good on all automobile colors. You're on the right track.

Can you do an inverse of that with black background and white letters and building line work? It would have an old blueprint look, except in black & white.
Tired to do more of a "blueprint" look, but I could not get it to look right, you really could not tell what the picture was. This was as close as I could get
Attachments
black metro plate.jpg
black metro plate.jpg (50.38 KiB) Viewed 4275 times
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

That's sweet!
MadMartin8
Planning Board

Post by MadMartin8 »

Ryan Air wrote:
GetUrban wrote:I like the white, black, and red scheme. Other colors have typically looked dated too soon and don't look as good on all automobile colors. You're on the right track.

Tired to do more of a "blueprint" look, but I could not get it to look right, you really could not tell what the picture was. This was as close as I could get
Yep, that's a keeper there. I'd love to see that image, with the sunset colors.
GetUrban
Planning Board

Post by GetUrban »

Looks Good!

Don't mean to nitpick, but maybe you should lose the desert dome....looks too much like a boob..or add another :-) .....and substitute the Bob Kerrey Bridge. ...not sure the archway is worthy, design-wise. (sorry Kearney)

But if you're trying to be inclusive of well-known Nebraska things, maybe keep it as-is. I guess the Bob is half-way in Iowa too.
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

Looks like we will find out what the new design is on Tuesday ( Tomorrow)

http://www.omaha.com/news/nebraska/new- ... 52ba0.html
LINCOLN — Gov. Pete Ricketts will unveil the design for the new state license plate Tuesday.
The design will be used on license plates to be issued starting in January 2017. It will replace the current plates, which feature a goldenrod sprig and a meadowlark, the state flower and state bird respectively................................
For the record  NEBUGEATER does not equal BUGEATER    !!!!!!!
bfcmoose
New to the Neighborhood

Post by bfcmoose »

You beat me to posting it...

I am excited to see what it is. Can't get worse than it is today, so we got that going for us... which is nice.

Hopefully they show updated Husker Spirit plates as well, however I do like the current ones of those.
Trips
Library Board

Post by Trips »

I like the simple design but hate the 1867 - 2017 at the bottom. I will have these new 2017 plates for exactly one month of 2017. Then in 2023 I will have what looks like a really expired plate when traveling.

If they dropped the dates I would be fine with the simple looking plates.
TitosBuritoBarn
Planning Board

Post by TitosBuritoBarn »

I also like the simple design. I'm not sure about the colors, but I realize they're meant to match the state flag
"Video game violence is not a new problem. Who could forget in the wake of SimCity how children everywhere took up urban planning." - Stephen Colbert
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

here is the image
Attachments
56f1674945059.image.jpg
56f1674945059.image.jpg (45.15 KiB) Viewed 3739 times
For the record  NEBUGEATER does not equal BUGEATER    !!!!!!!
Trips
Library Board

Post by Trips »

If someone really wanted a Sesquicentennial plate they could have got this one.

Sale of the plates above benefit the Nebraska Sesquicentennial Commission and their events across the state.
skinzfan23
City Council

Post by skinzfan23 »

I think it looks horrible. So far I am not the minority according to the World Herald poll: Nearly 59% don't like it. 30% think it is ok. 11% like it.

I think it will look much better with some numbers on it though. I wonder why they didn't release a rendering of one with numbers on it, it would help to not make it so plain.
omaha79
Parks & Recreation

Post by omaha79 »

I really hope UNO finds a way to hit their 500 registered plate mark sometime soon. I've prepaid but have been told they have a ways to go.

The official state of Nebraska plates are hideous. atrocious.

and to people not familiar with "The Sewer," It looks like he's performing some sort of lewd sex act on those plates.

I guess some pencil pusher was given access to photoshop again.

Nebraska: Another swing and a miss on license plates.
ShawJ
Parks & Recreation

Post by ShawJ »

If I had my way, we'd go super simple. :D

Although it kind of looks like the Alaska and old Michigan license plates had a baby.
Screen shot 2016-03-22 at 12.23.46 PM.png
Screen shot 2016-03-22 at 12.23.46 PM.png (21.77 KiB) Viewed 3714 times
GetUrban
Planning Board

Post by GetUrban »

nebugeater wrote:here is the image
I like the simplicity and colors, although that image is misleading because there are no license numbers shown. What color will the numbers be? The sower will get lost behind the numbers.

One thing for sure...there will always be people who hate it, no matter what.
bigredmed
Parks & Recreation

Post by bigredmed »

I saw the new design reported on Facebook where there are a lot of Ricketts haters losing control of their autonomic nervous systems over the new plates. Don't really think they look that bad. Gets us out of the rut of the covered wagon, Chimney rock, skyline that we have been in for too long.

Frankly, I am glad I am a ham radio operator and get my special license plates. :banger:
skinzfan23
City Council

Post by skinzfan23 »

GetUrban wrote: What color will the numbers be? The sower will get lost behind the numbers.

One thing for sure...there will always be people who hate it, no matter what.
The numbers/letters will be black. I agree, I think the sower is going to be hard to see. You are also right in saying that no matter what design is picked, there is always going to be a group of people that hate it.
GetUrban
Planning Board

Post by GetUrban »

bigredmed wrote:I saw the new design reported on Facebook where there are a lot of Ricketts haters losing control of their autonomic nervous systems over the new plates. Don't really think they look that bad. Gets us out of the rut of the covered wagon, Chimney rock, skyline that we have been in for too long.

Frankly, I am glad I am a ham radio operator and get my special license plates. :banger:
In this current political climate, people are always looking for someone to blame. Good thing Obama wasn't involved....they wouldn't even consider it. The next governor should get to choose, since the election is coming up in 2018....let the people choose.

I agree...glad there is no covered wagon! I think I'll get Ernie's cougar plates anyway. :lol:
bigredmed
Parks & Recreation

Post by bigredmed »

GetUrban wrote: I agree...glad there is no covered wagon! I think I'll get Ernie's cougar plates anyway. :lol:
Are these intended to identify single women of a certain age? Ernie should market them that way. The state could make serious cash of the practical jokers out there.
TitosBuritoBarn
Planning Board

Post by TitosBuritoBarn »

While I do believe the current ones look like '70s patio furniture upholstery and need to go away, being away from the state now for nearly five years (or 12 depending on how you look at it), the obsession Nebraska has over having superior license plates is a little much. The State has tried everything to appease the masses and I think we all just have different opinions of what what looks good on a license plate. While this one is rather boring, many of the nation's most populous states have pretty boring license plates - particularly Texas. It's black and white with a star in the corner. How exciting. California is slightly more interesting as it employs the color red and a cursive font.

I don't think Nebraska can expect to make much of a statement about the state by its license plate design. Personally, Mississippi's lighthouse at sunset design they had earlier this decade was an awesome looking plate, but I'm pretty sure I wouldn't care if I never go there. While we argue over doing away with covered wagons and sowers, it's not like we're the only ones with something kind of silly. Kansas has part of their state seal on their plates, Ohio and North Carolina both have plates that state they partially invented airplanes, Maryland wants you to remember they were a key component of the War of 1812 (with a my least favorite plate design), California wants to remind you of the web address for the State Department of Motor Vehicles, and Wisconsin and Iowa both have the dreaded farm.
"Video game violence is not a new problem. Who could forget in the wake of SimCity how children everywhere took up urban planning." - Stephen Colbert
MadMartin8
Planning Board

Post by MadMartin8 »

nebugeater wrote:here is the image

That looks terrible.

Nebraska:

Born 1867, Died 2017?
mrsticka
Parks & Recreation

Post by mrsticka »

At this point, it seems to me that no matter what kind of design our license plates have, people just won't like it. They'll never be satisfied and start bellyaching to no end.
RNcyanide
Planning Board

Post by RNcyanide »

I think they're fine. I'm not over the moon about it, but they picked a nice heritage symbol of the state without resorting covered wagons passing Chimney Rock. Nothing could be as bad as our state quarter depicting people leaving nebraska.
When fortune smiles on something as violent and ugly as revenge, it seems proof like no other that not only does God exist, you're doing his will.

The Bride
MadMartin8
Planning Board

Post by MadMartin8 »

mrsticka wrote:At this point, it seems to me that no matter what kind of design our license plates have, people just won't like it. They'll never be satisfied and start bellyaching to no end.
I liked the ones we are replacing, and I liked the ones with the Sunset colors.

These? Not so much.
mrsticka
Parks & Recreation

Post by mrsticka »

MadMartin8 wrote:
mrsticka wrote:At this point, it seems to me that no matter what kind of design our license plates have, people just won't like it. They'll never be satisfied and start bellyaching to no end.
I liked the ones we are replacing, and I liked the ones with the Sunset colors.

These? Not so much.
My comment wasn't directed at you just so you know. I read comments on the Journal Star's Facebook page and most of the comments were complaints. They felt the new plates were/are a bad representation of the state.
S33
County Board

Post by S33 »

Sort of looks like he's choking a goose in his pants.

Overall, I'm indifferent on the design. Doesn't look very inspiring, could look worse. Maybe inductive of how creative the state is, in general.
Socialism is a philosophy of failure, the creed of ignorance, and the gospel of envy, its inherent virtue is the equal sharing of misery. - Winston Churchill
nativeomahan
County Board

Post by nativeomahan »

One of my Facebook friends wondered which 5th grader designed the new plate. I told him to take the comment back, as 5th graders don't take well to insults, and know how to kick.
mrsticka
Parks & Recreation

Post by mrsticka »

nativeomahan wrote:One of my Facebook friends wondered which 5th grader designed the new plate. I told him to take the comment back, as 5th graders don't take well to insults, and know how to kick.
Good comeback. I don't know who designed the plates, but I'm pretty sure it wasn't a 5th grader.