Nebraska License Plates

General discussion on all things Omaha.

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

StreetsOfOmaha
City Council

Post by StreetsOfOmaha »

Right, I'm sure they would. So let's just promote any old thing on our license plates. In fact, why stop there. Let's put the Arc de Triomphe front and center on our dollar bill, and in place of "In God We Trust" let's put "America is OK, but have you been to France?!"

I'm just playing devils advocate here. No need for the patriotic lot to go ape |expletive|.
"The right to have access to every building in the city by private motorcar in an age when everyone possesses such a vehicle is actually the right to destroy the city."
Lewis Mumford, The Highway and the City, 1963
byrdrules
Home Owners Association

Post by byrdrules »

Brad wrote:I guarantee you there are 500 Cubs fans in Omaha that would buy that in 2 seconds.
This is sad but quite true.

Go White Sox.

I would love nothing more than to buy a University of Iowa branded license plate here, but I know there's no way that would ever happen.
TitosBuritoBarn
Planning Board

Post by TitosBuritoBarn »

StreetsOfOmaha wrote:Right, I'm sure they would. So let's just promote any old thing on our license plates.
That's a lovely idea, but Texas has already beat us to the punch. They currently have 127 different specialty license plate choices including these:

http://www.myplates.com/

BRoss
IT Director

Post by BRoss »

It looks like license plates are turning into another advertising medium.

Just what we need...
StreetsOfOmaha
City Council

Post by StreetsOfOmaha »

This can't be too far behind:

"The right to have access to every building in the city by private motorcar in an age when everyone possesses such a vehicle is actually the right to destroy the city."
Lewis Mumford, The Highway and the City, 1963
BRoss
IT Director

Post by BRoss »

But Brawndo's got what plants crave.

So, wait a minute, what you're saying is you want us to put water on the crops. Water, like out the toilet?
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

'The Beef State' slogan may go on some Neb. plates
KETV wrote:The Nebraska Cattlemen want to return the slogan "The Beef State" to some state license plates. The group says all state plates carried the slogan from 1956 to 1965.
TitosBuritoBarn
Planning Board

That third one looks really cool.
"Video game violence is not a new problem. Who could forget in the wake of SimCity how children everywhere took up urban planning." - Stephen Colbert
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

I agree,  #3 is the best.
For the record  NEBUGEATER does not equal BUGEATER    !!!!!!!
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

My UP plates just arrived.  I need to go pick them up tomorrow.
mrsticka
Parks & Recreation

Idea For A Graphic Design For New License Plates In 2017

Post by mrsticka »

I hope no one minds if I do this. But I created my own custom design for Nebraska license plates.

On the left is Chimney Rock colored in light brown. The rest is in a peachy tone to illustrate them all being further away. There's an Old Western pioneer wagon being pulled by a horse, a windmill, Memorial Stadium and the Lincoln skyline. And "Nebraska" is in red because that's our team color. (Go Big Red.) The serial codes are shown in dark brown.

In 2017, the state will issue a new series of plates. But I doubt they'll adopt this design. I just made up some random codes. Of course, plates issued in Douglas, Lancaster and Sarpy certainly won't be county coded. No need to remind me of that.

lmdramos
Library Board

Re: Idea For A Graphic Design For New License Plates In 2017

Post by lmdramos »

Love the design but I know a lot of Omahans who would be upset that the license plate is all about Lincoln. Furthermore, your reasoning for making Nebraska red is certainly going to upset a lot of people also.
skinzfan23
City Council

Post by skinzfan23 »

Overall not bad, add it a section with the Omaha skyline and a little more color and its perfect.

By the way, we just recently got our Nebraska plates, how often does a new design come out for the state?
skinzfan23
City Council

Post by skinzfan23 »

I think I may have found the answer. It sounds like starting in 2005, the issuance of new plates is every 6 years instead of the previous 3 years.
bigredmed
Parks & Recreation

Post by bigredmed »

lmdramos wrote:Love the design but I know a lot of Omahans who would be upset that the license plate is all about Lincoln. Furthermore, your reasoning for making Nebraska red is certainly going to upset a lot of people also.

Agreed. The plate is nice, but the huskers = red, ergo Nebraska must only be portrayed in red is a bit threadbare.
mrsticka
Parks & Recreation

Post by mrsticka »

lmdramos wrote:Love the design but I know a lot of Omahans who would be upset that the license plate is all about Lincoln.
The plate is not ALL about Lincoln. Last time I checked, Chimney Rock was closer to Scottsbluff.
Furthermore, your reasoning for making Nebraska red is certainly going to upset a lot of people also.
Ummmmmmmm... I don't see how.
bigredmed wrote:Agreed.  The plate is nice, but the huskers = red, ergo Nebraska must only be portrayed in red is a bit threadbare.
I never said that it should ONLY be in red.

Don't kill a guy for being creative. Geez.
BRoss
IT Director

Post by BRoss »

I think it's a great start...but you can't include Lincoln to that extent without Omaha unless you only include the capital building. Now the color of "Nebraska" certainly doesn't have to be portrayed as "Husker red", but could certainly be that way implicitly. I think maybe Chimney Rock, along with a horse and covered wagon, the capital building, the Woodsman tower, the First National building and maybe the BK Pedestrian Bridge would be a great representation of Nebraska
mrsticka
Parks & Recreation

Post by mrsticka »

HR Paperstacks wrote:I think it's a great start...but you can't include Lincoln to that extent without Omaha unless you only include the capital building. Now the color of "Nebraska" certainly doesn't have to be portrayed as "Husker red", but could certainly be that way implicitly. I think maybe Chimney Rock, along with a horse and covered wagon, the capital building, the Woodsman tower, the First National building and maybe the BK Pedestrian Bridge would be a great representation of Nebraska
I see your point. But unfortunately, there's no room for all that. But I could try and make some.

Here you go. I made a new design. Memorial Stadium is gone and the Lincoln skyline is in its former spot and is a darker color, but still lighter than Chimney Rock. At the request of some people, I added the Omaha skyline, which now sits in the spot where the Lincoln skyline used to be.

Hopefully, this one will be more to their liking.

ShawJ
Parks & Recreation

Post by ShawJ »

This article pretty much sums up how I feel about license plate designs these days.

http://www.slate.com/blogs/the_eye/2014 ... _ugly.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
GetUrban
Planning Board

Post by GetUrban »

That design would probably happen, if something similar hadn't already happened in the 90's and again in the early 00's...

They moved the windmill to the "rural" side of the Platte later....

And then watered it down a bit...

I'm with ShawJ though....the early plates were cool! I wish we could go back to something simple and understated like those. That's one thing people never seem to be happy with. Maybe we should all just have plates with nothing more than bar codes or QR codes that could be scanned.
He said "They are some big, ugly red brick buildings"
...and then they were gone.
lisanstan
Library Board

Post by lisanstan »

We moved to Nebraska in 2005. I loved the sunset colored license plate that had the yellow, orange, red gradients. Unfortunately, they changed the plates and I never got to enjoy those bright happy plates. The current plate is so insipid and boring.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

lisanstan wrote:We moved to Nebraska in 2005. I loved the sunset colored license plate that had the yellow, orange, red gradients. Unfortunately, they changed the plates and I never got to enjoy those bright happy plates. The current plate is so insipid and boring.

I agree, the orange and black were great!
mrsticka
Parks & Recreation

Post by mrsticka »

GetUrban wrote:That design would probably happen, if something similar hadn't already happened in the 90's and again in the early 00's...

They moved the windmill to the "rural" side of the Platte later....

And then watered it down a bit...

I'm with ShawJ though....the early plates were cool! I wish we could go back to something simple and understated like those. That's one thing people never seem to be happy with. Maybe we should all just have plates with nothing more than bar codes or QR codes that could be scanned.
I remember those designs pretty well. They all contained the Lincoln skyline. Omaha was not on it. Were Omaha residents upset by that then, as some people have complained they would be?
koberaptor
Home Owners Association

Post by koberaptor »

wish they would replace the chimney rock with this:

bigredmed
Parks & Recreation

Post by bigredmed »

I wish we could leave this paradigm of license plates entirely. With all respect to the OP, it is a little like shuffling deck chairs.

Nebraskans have won as many Nobel prizes as Japan. How about we start a license plate art celebrating that? A Nebraskan invented high speed photography and strobe lights that are used in every cell phone camera in the world. A Nebraskan invented the Gene theory that is the basis of molecular medicine.

Frankly, I would love anything that doesn't just appease the panhandle with chimney rock and the Omaha urbanists with a skyscraper. They are called plates not panders.
GetUrban
Planning Board

Post by GetUrban »

mrsticka wrote:I remember those designs pretty well.  They all contained the Lincoln skyline.  Omaha was not on it.  Were Omaha residents upset by that then, as some people have complained they would be?
Oh, I thought you weren't aware of the previous designs and had coincidentally re-created the same basic Chimney Rock/Nebraska topography/eastern-urban profile concept. On the original designs, I believe the rectangular building on the far right was meant to represent the Woodman Tower in Omaha. The 1st National tower didn't exist until after 2002.

Anyway, if you want to do a literal representation of the Lincoln & Omaha skylines and other Nebraska landmarks, might as well use actual photos utilizing today's printing technology. Personally, I prefer a new idea.....something more simple, abstract and symbolic of Nebraska, whatever that may be.

How about "NICE" or "The Good Life" in the background?
schumatt
Home Owners Association

Post by schumatt »

Personally, I think the 2005-2010 plate was one of the best designs we've had for a while. Simple graphics, no garish colors. I could do without the covered wagon, but whatever.

Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

I'm really happy with my Nebraska Plates! :;):

mrsticka
Parks & Recreation

Post by mrsticka »

GetUrban wrote:
mrsticka wrote:I remember those designs pretty well.  They all contained the Lincoln skyline.  Omaha was not on it.  Were Omaha residents upset by that then, as some people have complained they would be?
Oh, I thought you weren't aware of the previous designs and had coincidentally re-created the same basic Chimney Rock/Nebraska topography/eastern-urban profile concept.
Of course I was. Where do you think the inspiration for my design came from?
On the original designs, I believe the rectangular building on the far right was meant to represent the Woodman Tower in Omaha. The 1st National tower didn't exist until after 2002.
Didn't know that. I'm still not sure of that today. But yes, I know about the 1st National Tower not existing until 2002.
Anyway, if you want to do a literal representation of the Lincoln & Omaha skylines and other Nebraska landmarks, might as well use actual photos utilizing today's printing technology. Personally, I prefer a new idea.....something more simple, abstract and symbolic of Nebraska, whatever that may be.

How about "NICE" or "The Good Life" in the background?
I'll give that some thought next time.
Last edited by mrsticka on Tue Jul 08, 2014 2:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
GetUrban
Planning Board

Post by GetUrban »

mrsticka wrote:
GetUrban wrote:
Oh, I thought you weren't aware of the previous designs and had coincidentally re-created the same basic Chimney Rock/Nebraska topography/eastern-urban profile concept.
Of course, I was.  Where do you think the inspiration for my design came from?
So your design is more evolutionary, I see.

But sometimes it's interesting when people create what they thought was a new design without being aware of a very similar design that already exists. In a way that confirms it was a good idea, unless they forgot they had seen it before.
mrsticka
Parks & Recreation

Post by mrsticka »

GetUrban wrote:So your design is more evolutionary, I see.
You could say that. As you can see, I used the county numbers for Douglas, Lancaster and Sarpy Counties on the plates. I made them that way because I knew that the plates issued in those counties won't be county coded. It should give you an idea of what the stacked "59" would look like in the font currently used if the codes weren't dropped.
Brad
City Council

Re: New License Plates?

Post by Brad »

Funny, people are getting all bent out of shape over the "Beef State" plates...

If you don't like it, create your own! You only need 500 Like Minded People:
http://www.dmv.ne.gov/dvr/specialty/organizational.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Brad
City Council

Re: New License Plates?

Post by Brad »

These pates are Approved! Now they just need the 500 applications and its a done deal!

bfcmoose
New to the Neighborhood

New Lisence Plates

Post by bfcmoose »

The new plates are due for Jan 1, 2017 and I know that there will not be a vote this time, but does anyone have any idea when they will release the design to the public? Both for the standard and spirit plates?

I am cautiously optimistic they are an improvement to the current yellow and black bird and flower plates that currently adorn our vehicles!
RNcyanide
Planning Board

Re: New Lisence Plates

Post by RNcyanide »

Hm, I actually don't mind our current plates... I don't care an awful lot about what they put on there, so long as they don't have a covered wagon on them.
When fortune smiles on something as violent and ugly as revenge, it seems proof like no other that not only does God exist, you're doing his will.

The Bride
bigredmed
Parks & Recreation

Post by bigredmed »

Get an amateur radio license and you can avoid the cheesy plate for a mere $7 more per year with a Ham Radio license plate.
advcomp2019
Home Owners Association

Post by advcomp2019 »

bigredmed wrote:Get an amateur radio license and you can avoid the cheesy plate for a mere $7 more per year with a Ham Radio license plate.
Tell that to Iowa. The Iowa plates are getting boring since they have been around for a long time now.
TitosBuritoBarn
Planning Board

The current plates look like they were inspired by the upholstery from some '70s patio furniture.
"Video game violence is not a new problem. Who could forget in the wake of SimCity how children everywhere took up urban planning." - Stephen Colbert
PotatoeEatsFish
Human Relations

Post by PotatoeEatsFish »

Personally I would really like to see the Omaha skyline be the lisence plate. Make us look less red neck for once.

Also, does anyone else agree with me that Visit Nebraska, Visit Nice is the dumbest motto ever?
#SaveTheUglyGrainSilos2024