Nebraska License Plates

General discussion on all things Omaha.

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

TitosBuritoBarn
Planning Board

Re: Idea For A Graphic Design For New License Plates In 2017

Post by TitosBuritoBarn »

Coyote wrote:
iamjacobm wrote:Looks like Ernie got Mountain Lion plates in production.
Finally got mine today:
image.jpeg
Cobalt SS, eh? A commendable choice, sir.
"Video game violence is not a new problem. Who could forget in the wake of SimCity how children everywhere took up urban planning." - Stephen Colbert
Garrett
Planning Board

Re: Nebraska License Plates

Post by Garrett »

zippy wrote:
EricHaley wrote:The new Husker plates clearly didn’t go through any sort of real-world testing before going to production. The plates are nearly impossible to read from 20 feet out. Makes me wonder if they’ll end up eventually recalling the plates or updating the design…
They look like some kind of real world Captcha!
Anyone have a picture of one?
OMA-->CHI-->NYC
BRoss
IT Director

Post by BRoss »

Garrett wrote:
zippy wrote:
EricHaley wrote:The new Husker plates clearly didn’t go through any sort of real-world testing before going to production. The plates are nearly impossible to read from 20 feet out. Makes me wonder if they’ll end up eventually recalling the plates or updating the design…
Here's one from the DMV's website:

I couldn't seem to find a pic of one IRL.
Garrett
Planning Board

Post by Garrett »

HR Paperstacks wrote:
Garrett wrote:
zippy wrote:
Here's one from the DMV's website:

I couldn't seem to find a pic of one IRL.
Even just the mockup is pretty bad. I'm interested to see what the real one is.
OMA-->CHI-->NYC
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

I was surprised when I renewed my UP plates this week and when the mail showed up, I got new UP plates. Same number, but the green is now black and some of the other colors are a bit different. The overall design is the same. They look good.
EricHaley
Human Relations

Post by EricHaley »

Here are a few:

Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Here is another one I saw this afternoon:
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (61.41 KiB) Viewed 6949 times
Uffda
County Board

Post by Uffda »

Coyote wrote:Here is another one I saw this afternoon:
image.jpeg
I agree that does make it a little harder to read if someone is trying to get the license plate number.
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

I know it is not Nebraska but Oh Well

Iowa's announced their new plate selection that will roll out in 2018

The "City and County Reboot" won the vote with 113,299 of the poll’s 291,095 total votes. The Iowa DOT says that the "Flying Our Colors" design had a late surge yesterday, bringing it up to a close second with 110,352 votes. The "Great Wide Open" finished in third with 67,444 votes.
Attachments
0f3a314d-b52a-477b-b751-e248fe77e8bb-large16x9_CityCountryReboot_WEB.png
0f3a314d-b52a-477b-b751-e248fe77e8bb-large16x9_CityCountryReboot_WEB.png (140.67 KiB) Viewed 6827 times
For the record  NEBUGEATER does not equal BUGEATER    !!!!!!!
Trips
Library Board

Post by Trips »

nebugeater wrote:I know it is not Nebraska but Oh Well

Iowa's announced their new plate selection that will roll out in 2018

The "City and County Reboot" won the vote with 113,299 of the poll’s 291,095 total votes. The Iowa DOT says that the "Flying Our Colors" design had a late surge yesterday, bringing it up to a close second with 110,352 votes. The "Great Wide Open" finished in third with 67,444 votes.
With the vote that close I wonder if they will have to check IP Addresses. I voted for Iowa for the worst design like Collegehumor did when Nebraska had an online vote.

On a side note I did not realize how bad Nebraska's DMV license plate department is.

1. Since I did not want the "Michigan" design I paid the extra $5 for Mountain Lion plates. I got the old design in the mail with a letter to go pick of the mountain lion at the DMV the next week. Why couldn't they have just mailed me the mountain lion plates?

2. Ordering online I had to make two purchases with two transaction fee's to get the Mountain Lion.

3. You can't get a message on the organizational plates.

4. The available messages on their website are not updated. A friend had moved away for three years and came back and the website said both his very unique messages were not available. He called them up and they said they were available.
jessep28
Planning Board

Post by jessep28 »

Iowa's chosen plate design is fairly nice. My only criticism is that the opposing rural and city skyline idea isn't terribly original.

Verbum Domini Manet in Aeternum
skinzfan23
City Council

Post by skinzfan23 »

Sarpy County DMV finds new home in ex-Lockheed Martin building
The Nebraska Department of Motor Vehicles, an unwelcome tenant at the Sarpy County Courthouse, is moving east to 45th Street on the south side of Highway 370.

It will occupy part of the former Lockheed Martin building at 4502 Maass Road that closed in 2014.

The DMV will be joined there by Nebraska Families Collaborative, a private social services network that provides families with access to a range of services.

The new Sarpy DMV office should be open for business in late spring or early summer 2018, according to Lahm.
Glad to hear this. Hopefully this will alleviate the wait times experienced there. Also great to see the Lockheed building finally put back to use.
mrsticka
Parks & Recreation

Post by mrsticka »

You know what I've noticed about the new plates? The county coded ones have the state's shape in place of the hyphen.

You know how after the county number there's a hyphen followed by a letter or 2? Well, instead of putting in a hyphen, the shape of Nebraska is put in its place.
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

mrsticka wrote:You know what I've noticed about the new plates? The county coded ones have the state's shape in place of the hyphen.

You know how after the county number there's a hyphen followed by a letter or 2? Well, instead of putting in a hyphen, the shape of Nebraska is put in its place.
Yep seen that. I think it was even mentioned way back in the press release when this design was announced. I know it was mentioned somewhere at that time.
mrsticka
Parks & Recreation

Post by mrsticka »

nebugeater wrote:
mrsticka wrote:You know what I've noticed about the new plates? The county coded ones have the state's shape in place of the hyphen.

Yep seen that. I think it was even mentioned way back in the press release when this design was announced. I know it was mentioned somewhere at that time.
Was there a reason given for that? If so, what was it?
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

mrsticka wrote:
nebugeater wrote:

Was there a reason given for that? If so, what was it?

Don't recall ever hearing a reason. If I were to guess it was some designer getting cute.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Minnesota's plate has the state pic between the sets of alpha numbers. I wonder how many other states do this?
mrsticka
Parks & Recreation

Post by mrsticka »

I just created a custom version of how the stacked 59 code might look on the new plates. If residents of Sarpy County were given the choice between having the stacked format of the 59 code or the standard one, which do you think they'd choose?

You won't see this out on the road for real, so here you go.

nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

mrsticka wrote:I just created a custom version of how the stacked 59 code might look on the new plates. If residents of Sarpy County were given the choice between having the stacked format of the 59 code or the standard one, which do you think they'd choose?

There are a few.. and I mean very few, like your center one that I see around Gretna once in a while. They done as personal message plates with the old number from when you kept the same number of a vehicle when you got new plates.
mrsticka
Parks & Recreation

Post by mrsticka »

nebugeater wrote:
mrsticka wrote:I just created a custom version of how the stacked 59 code might look on the new plates. If residents of Sarpy County were given the choice between having the stacked format of the 59 code or the standard one, which do you think they'd choose?

There are a few.. and I mean very few, like your center one that I see around Gretna once in a while. They done as personal message plates with the old number from when you kept the same number of a vehicle when you got new plates.
Yes, that is true. As difficult as it may be for you to believe, before the change, there were some Sarpy plates with less than 5 digits of serial that used the stacked 59 even though they didn't need to.
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

I will never understand why Nebraska can't make it work where the county name is printed or labeled on the bottom the the plate. They tried this with an utter disaster when they went to the three letter / number but the office supply store label tape they used came off in a short time. All you have to do is look across the river and ask how they can make it work in Iowa.
mrsticka
Parks & Recreation

Post by mrsticka »

I guess people at the time felt it was adding insult to injury.
jessep28
Planning Board

Post by jessep28 »

If I recall correctly, when Nebraska went to a common alphanumeric plate pool for Douglas, Sarpy and Lancaster, it was to cut down on waste from excess production. Printing the county name would not be any different than using numbers.

Iowa doesn't resdesign their plates every six years, so production overruns probably aren't big deal. The counties will issue them eventually.
Verbum Domini Manet in Aeternum
mrsticka
Parks & Recreation

Post by mrsticka »

If they wanted to cut down on excess production waste, they should've stopped changing the plates every 3 years. Would've been a lot better than taking away part of the state's identity.
Last edited by mrsticka on Mon Oct 09, 2017 8:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

jessep28 wrote:If I recall correctly, when Nebraska went to a common alphanumeric plate pool for Douglas, Sarpy and Lancaster, it was to cut down on waste from excess production. Printing the county name would not be any different than using numbers.

Iowa doesn't resdesign their plates every six years, so production overruns probably aren't big deal. The counties will issue them eventually.

It is three freeing counties. If you can't get it close enough in count to not have a lot of waste it is a lost cause before you ever started.
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

I was traveling I80 yesterday and going a bit slower than a car from Oklahoma. Noticed that they plate they had used the state of Ok image and their "dash" between the plate numbers / letters like the Nebraska. This was a special interest plate I believe. Found a sample on the net.
12834476_G.jpg
12834476_G.jpg (122.99 KiB) Viewed 6340 times
TitosBuritoBarn
Planning Board

Post by TitosBuritoBarn »

Nah, that's their new standard plate now.
"Video game violence is not a new problem. Who could forget in the wake of SimCity how children everywhere took up urban planning." - Stephen Colbert
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

TitosBuritoBarn wrote:Nah, that's their new standard plate now.
OK

Hadn't seen it much and that wasn't clear on the web site I looked at.
schumatt
Home Owners Association

Post by schumatt »

jessep28 wrote:If I recall correctly, when Nebraska went to a common alphanumeric plate pool for Douglas, Sarpy and Lancaster, it was to cut down on waste from excess production.
Another easy way to cut down on production waste would be to NOT pre-print all the message plates that exist when the design changes. I wanted to switch from the Husker message plate to a standard message plate, and found out that’s quite a process. Apparently the state prints all the message plates due to be renewed over the course of the year on the same plate style they previously had. For me to switch, I had to temporarily get standard alphanumeric ones and order new message plates by mailing in an order form and paper check to the state DMV. I’ve since gotten a letter saying my plates are in production, and I’ll get another letter from the county when they’ve delivered to the Treasurer’s office, at which point I have to call the Treasurer and arrange a pickup location. :thumb:
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

schumatt wrote:
jessep28 wrote:If I recall correctly, when Nebraska went to a common alphanumeric plate pool for Douglas, Sarpy and Lancaster, it was to cut down on waste from excess production.
Another easy way to cut down on production waste would be to NOT pre-print all the message plates that exist when the design changes. I wanted to switch from the Husker message plate to a standard message plate, and found out that’s quite a process. Apparently the state prints all the message plates due to be renewed over the course of the year on the same plate style they previously had. For me to switch, I had to temporarily get standard alphanumeric ones and order new message plates by mailing in an order form and paper check to the state DMV. I’ve since gotten a letter saying my plates are in production, and I’ll get another letter from the county when they’ve delivered to the Treasurer’s office, at which point I have to call the Treasurer and arrange a pickup location. :thumb:

TO know if that is a viable options $$ wise we would need to know how many change plate style or how many do not renew the message plates. There would be a pretty good economy of scale to overcome IMO to not print what they think the known ones are at one time.
mrsticka
Parks & Recreation

Post by mrsticka »

Maybe if they changed the plates every 10 years instead of every 3, that would've saved on excess production waste. Use a set of plates starting on New Year's Day on a year ending with 0 and use that series to a year on December 31 on a year ending with a 9.

Example:

January 1, 1980-December 31, 1989

January 1, 1990-December 31, 1999

January 1, 2000-December 31, 2009
(Embossed letters-January 1, 2000-December 31, 2004, Flat letters-January 1, 2005-December 31, 2009)

January 1, 2010-December 31, 2019
guy4omaha
Parks & Recreation

Post by guy4omaha »

Coyote wrote:Minnesota's plate has the state pic between the sets of alpha numbers. I wonder how many other states do this?
Texas also puts the state emblem in the middle like Oklahoma and Minnesota mentioned above. At least on what I assume is their standard issue plate.
My son got a 27 on his ACT. No this score is not as high as what Jeff's son achieved. But one has to remember the paternal gene-pool my son has to overcome. On a PGPAB [Paternal Gene-Pool Adjusted Basis], my son's score is a 37 and Jeff's son's PGPAB ACT score is 19.
GrandpaaSmucker
Parks & Recreation

Post by GrandpaaSmucker »

It said in the paper today that a set of mountain lion plates cost only 10 bucks more then regular ones. We would all get the Mt Lion plates if we knew it was only 10 bucks more. Of course I think Mountain Lion conservation is stupid. There is that. I thank the people that preceded us in days of old for killing off all the dangerous animals. Only a fool would think its a good idea to have wild animals running around that are capable of killing us if they choose. Just the same those plates are cool for sure and ten bucks aint nothing. What to do? Stick with common sense values or have a cool mt lion plate? :what:
bigredmed1
Parks & Recreation

Post by bigredmed1 »

Keeping my amateur radio plate. $7 a year.
Trips
Library Board

Post by Trips »

The Mountain Lion plates technically are $5 extra but I think I ended up paying around $20. I ordered online so I had a processing fee and since I already was renewing my old plates I had a plate change fee.

Specialty Plate Registrations
Husker - 21,191
Mountain Lion - 21,351
Military Honor - 16,272
Creighton - 1,770
Union Pacific - 1,406
Omaha Chamber "We Don't Coast" - 289
Beef State - Just over 3,000
Busguy2010
County Board

Post by Busguy2010 »

Okay, this is getting out of hand

http://www.omaha.com/news/nebraska/choo ... 7f60b.html

Start with the standard issue license plate. Have your school branded plates, not a problem. Distinguish yourself as a military servant, thank you. Show your support for native wildlife conservation, fine. Stop there. There is nothing smart, empowering or what have you, about sharing your political views on your license plate. Not everything needs to be a statement. I'm super frustrated with the direction our society is going. "accept or be condemned". Too much individuality at the expense of social moderation.

"choose life", or "my body, my choice", or any additional license plates options have no place in this state.

Social media has given too many people a stage to complain from and this is why we stand where we stand. I think the best thing people can do is accept their place and make the best of their situation at their own risk.
GrandpaaSmucker
Parks & Recreation

Post by GrandpaaSmucker »

Busguy2010 wrote:Okay, this is getting out of hand

Start with the standard issue license plate. Have your school branded plates, not a problem. Distinguish yourself as a military servant, thank you. Show your support for native wildlife conservation, fine. Stop there. There is nothing smart, empowering or what have you, about sharing your political views on your license plate. Not everything needs to be a statement. I'm super frustrated with the direction our society is going. "accept or be condemned". Too much individuality at the expense of social moderation.

"choose life", or "my body, my choice", or any additional license plates options have no place in this state.

Social media has given too many people a stage to complain from and this is why we stand where we stand. I think the best thing people can do is accept their place and make the best of their situation at their own risk.
It makes you come off as political that you even care. Who cares. Let them have their license plates. :shrug:
Garrett
Planning Board

Post by Garrett »

Busguy2010 wrote:Okay, this is getting out of hand

If these political plates become more common, I'm going to start expecting more car vandalism to accompany it.
OMA-->CHI-->NYC
Busguy2010
County Board

Post by Busguy2010 »

GrandpaaSmucker wrote:It makes you come off as political that you even care. Who cares. Let them have their license plates. :shrug:
There's already too much fighting over political views and individual rights. This is just another unnecessary thing that will fuel fights. The pro choice community is already firing back about these choose life plates, so I view it as another unnecessary conflict igniter. They should get a bumper sticker.

If I was governater, I'd issue plain white licenses plates with black numbers and only that, to remind people to be grateful and not complain so much over every little issue. I honestly think social media and smart phones are in the middle of ruining society.
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

Just go back to the first years that plate numbers were issued in Nebraska. You get assigned a number and are responsible for making your one plate with just a few basic guidelines.