Go Local Card

General discussion on all things Omaha.

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

Dusty
Human Relations

Go Local Card

Post by Dusty »

Has anyone had any experience with "Go Local". It's based in Austin, but has many locations around the US. Basically, it's similar to Groupon, but only for independent (local or mom & pop) type of businesses. They sell cards for $10 and it gives you discounts to your local shops.

I think bringing this card to Omaha would be successful. The people here are really supportive of the local businesses.

http://thegolocalcard.com/index.php/national
HuskerDave
Library Board

Post by HuskerDave »

I know it's been explored by several local organizations, such as the Millard Business Association.  I don't know if it's ever been actually put into action by any local organizations, but I know the MBA decided it would be cost-prohibitive without sufficient benefit.
Omaha Patio Ride
New to the Neighborhood

Post by Omaha Patio Ride »

I have not but I'm intrigued.  I'm looking into this for sure...

Omaha Patio Ride
16 passenger bike for rent
http://www.omahapatioride.com
402-519-5225
omahapatioride@gmail.com
cosmoguy
New to the Neighborhood

Post by cosmoguy »

I now live in Austin and am a proud Go Local cardholder. You can buy the card from a long list of participating businesses for $10. It lasts for a year and can be used to receive a set discount for whatever that business dictates. Typically it's 10% off. There's even an iPhone app to locate the participating businesses. I love supporting our local economy here. I think more Omahans should support and be proud of the UNIQUE restaurants and businesses throughout the city that define the true character of Omaha. I've noticed, both in my own circle and on this forum, that there are quite a few chain fanatics that hype up the latest national "get" for Omaha. it makes me sad to see a line outside of the Cheesecake Factory when those lines should have been at the restaurants in areas like little Italy that are now defunct. As an out of towner, don't take me to Old Chicago; show me what I can't get elsewhere.