Buy Local for Halloween

General discussion on all things Omaha.

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

Brad
City Council

Buy Local for Halloween

Post by Brad »

Has anyone noticed the "Buy Local for HallO!ween" campaign that Mangelsen's, Nobbies, and Ibsen costume are running.

I am assuming its targeting these fly by night Halloween shops that pop up for two months and then disappear.  Its great to see local business getting together to help each other fight off the companies that come in to town for 2 months and then disappear again.
S33
County Board

Re: Buy Local for Halloween

Post by S33 »

Brad wrote:Has anyone noticed the "Buy Local for HallO!ween" campaign that Mangelsen's, Nobbies, and Ibsen costume are running.

I am assuming its targeting these fly by night Halloween shops that pop up for two months and then disappear.  Its great to see local business getting together to help each other fight off the companies that come in to town for 2 months and then disappear again.
That would be great and all if they could keep their shelves stocked with decent costumes and whatnot. I can't remember the last time I've been to one of those stores and it wasn't completely picked-over or the place was trashed.
Big E
City Council

Post by Big E »

I worked at Nobbies 20 years ago. (Pardon me while I go kill myself after that number sinks in.)

Anyways, yes...  Halloween in there is easily the worst job I've ever had in my life, and I literally used to pick up dog |expletive|.  It's where the universe established soccer moms are the worst thing on the planet.

Of course, as with most jobs, it probably wouldn't be that bad if it wasn't for the customers.
Stable genius.
Uffda
County Board

Post by Uffda »

I worked at Nobbies during the halloween season about 6-7 yrs ago.  It was amazing how trashed the place became by the end of the night. We tried to keep up but with customers just taking stuff off the hangers or out of the bags and just leaving it on the floor. Nobbies actually uses one of the back rooms to try to put stuff back together during the day.  I do remember one night we ended up leaving about 8 grocery carts for the day crew as we ran out of time trying to put things back where they belonged.

I will say working there gave me respect for people working clothing retail. I tend to put stuff back where i picked it up.
S33
County Board

Post by S33 »

Uffda wrote:I worked at Nobbies during the halloween season about 6-7 yrs ago.  It was amazing how trashed the place became by the end of the night. We tried to keep up but with customers just taking stuff off the hangers or out of the bags and just leaving it on the floor. Nobbies actually uses one of the back rooms to try to put stuff back together during the day.  I do remember one night we ended up leaving about 8 grocery carts for the day crew as we ran out of time trying to put things back where they belonged.

I will say working there gave me respect for people working clothing retail. I tend to put stuff back where i picked it up.
With everyone taking the merchandise out of the packages and trying them on, I could see how keeping the place in order may be an impossible task.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

During "thank you notes" on Fallon tonight....

"Thank you Halloween Stores, for letting me know which stores went out of business in my neighborhood"

Lol...
skinzfan23
City Council

Post by skinzfan23 »

I noticed the first Halloween store of the season today in the old Office Depot building across the street from NFM. Seems a little early but I know that before we know it, Christmas decorations will be for sale in stores.
debradomayer
Library Board

Post by debradomayer »

Just an FYI, most of the area HyVee's have had their Halloween candy out for a couple of weeks already
skinzfan23
City Council

Post by skinzfan23 »

debradomayer wrote:Just an FYI, most of the area HyVee's have had their Halloween candy out for a couple of weeks already
Nothing like some stale candy corn :D
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

skinzfan23 wrote:
debradomayer wrote:Just an FYI, most of the area HyVee's have had their Halloween candy out for a couple of weeks already
Nothing like some stale candy corn :D
[youtube][/youtube]