Wednesday World Herald Littering

General discussion on all things Omaha.

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

riceweb
Library Board

Post by riceweb »

Getting feisty in here. Bottom line: World-Herald knows nobody wants the damn bag, but they have to keep a certain number of subscribers to keep their advertising revenue numbers up, so they keep tossing the worthless pile on our driveways each week. It annoys the heck out of me.
ThatGuy
Human Relations

Post by ThatGuy »

bbinks wrote:Actually, I pick up cigarette butts out of my yard every week.  I don't go to a blog and |expletive| about it.

A single publishing company is not responsible for littering your yard with cigarette butts every week. You don't see the difference?
bbinks
Parks & Recreation

Post by bbinks »

ThatGuy wrote:
bbinks wrote:Actually, I pick up cigarette butts out of my yard every week.  I don't go to a blog and |expletive| about it.

A single publishing company is not responsible for littering your yard with cigarette butts every week. You don't see the difference?
Once again, I don't consider it litter.  And if its such an issue for the lazy people who leave it there, then that is their problem.   The difference is why so many people complain about it.
S33
County Board

Post by S33 »

Got another one of these pieces of |expletive| in my yard again today - but don't worry, I'll pretend that after 4 requests and 2 complaints, it doesn't bother me. Heck, I may even pretend to read the damn thing.
riceweb
Library Board

Post by riceweb »

bbinks wrote:Once again, I don't consider it litter.  And if its such an issue for the lazy people who leave it there, then that is their problem.   The difference is why so many people complain about it.
It is litter if it was unrequested and you can't get your name off the list. It's nothing about laziness.
jessep28
Planning Board

Post by jessep28 »

You should have a vinyl yard sign printed up to inform the paper carrier that he/she should skip your house when delivering Food Express.
Verbum Domini Manet in Aeternum
S33
County Board

Post by S33 »

jessep28 wrote:You should have a vinyl yard sign printed up to inform the paper carrier that he/she should skip your house when delivering Food Express.
No way. If I saw someone with that sign, I would follow the paper boy picking up all the papers and putting them into their yard.  :) Asking for trouble!
Seth
Parks & Recreation

Post by Seth »

Brad wrote:
ThatGuy wrote:I still want to know if it's legal.
All I know is that Can NOT put them in the mailbox legally...  Which is completely stupid!  Its your mailbox, you pay for it, you install it, you maintain it, but only the mailman can use it.
How about a mail slot?  What about the residential mailboxes you have on the front porch?  Are those official mailboxes?  Is the distinction whether or not it has the "Approved by the Postmaster General" lettering on it?

Off topic, I know, but I'm really interested to know.
Seth
Parks & Recreation

Post by Seth »

It's ironic know that AOL is basically dead and CDs are hardly used for software installs now, but remember all the AOL junk mail full of CDs?  I remember reading a news article about one very bitter person who collected a whole U-Haul full of them and took a trip to dump them on the lawn at AOL's corporate headquarters.

I love the fact that technology progresses so fast now that can tell "when I was your age" stories, and I'm still years from turning 30!
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

Seth wrote:It's ironic know that AOL is basically dead and CDs are hardly used for software installs now, but remember all the AOL junk mail full of CDs?  I remember reading a news article about one very bitter person who collected a whole U-Haul full of them and took a trip to dump them on the lawn at AOL's corporate headquarters.

I love the fact that technology progresses so fast now that can tell "when I was your age" stories, and I'm still years from turning 30!

CD's?   I remember the AOL floppy disks that came in the mail and from everywere else.  I kept a couple for some reason and still have them in a box in the closet somewhere.  Who knows, some day they may be a collectors item!!
For the record  NEBUGEATER does not equal BUGEATER    !!!!!!!
Big E
City Council

Post by Big E »

http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/america-o ... 34725.html
AOL co-founder Steve Case wrote:At one point, 50% of the CD's produced worldwide had an AOL logo on it. We were logging in new subscribers at the rate of one every six seconds.
Stable genius.
BRoss
IT Director

Post by BRoss »

Seth wrote:
Brad wrote:
ThatGuy wrote:I still want to know if it's legal.
All I know is that Can NOT put them in the mailbox legally...  Which is completely stupid!  Its your mailbox, you pay for it, you install it, you maintain it, but only the mailman can use it.
How about a mail slot?  What about the residential mailboxes you have on the front porch?  Are those official mailboxes?  Is the distinction whether or not it has the "Approved by the Postmaster General" lettering on it?

Off topic, I know, but I'm really interested to know.
I can tell you that they put it in my mail slot at my apartment. Which is really annoying because then I have to dig through the cr@p to get to my bills.
S33
County Board

Post by S33 »

A little update in case anyone cares... After bitching to OWH for weeks on end, and the problem persisting, I finally noticed that they had indeed stopped putting the paper in my lawn, but it was my neighbor throwing his from his driveway into mine. I guess it's only fair that I clear that tid bit up.
Zilla
Library Board

Post by Zilla »

S33 wrote:A little update in case anyone cares... After bitching to OWH for weeks on end, and the problem persisting, I finally noticed that they had indeed stopped putting the paper in my lawn, but it was my neighbor throwing his from his driveway into mine. I guess it's only fair that I clear that tid bit up.
Oh boy.   :popcorn:  How did you discover that?  Did you talk to your neighbor about it...or just start throwing it back in his yard?  :)
Equal Opportunity Hater.

Proudly oppressing the rest of Omaha with my suburbia lifestyle since 1999.
BRoss
IT Director

Post by BRoss »

Zilla wrote:
S33 wrote:A little update in case anyone cares... After bitching to OWH for weeks on end, and the problem persisting, I finally noticed that they had indeed stopped putting the paper in my lawn, but it was my neighbor throwing his from his driveway into mine. I guess it's only fair that I clear that tid bit up.
Oh boy.   :popcorn:  How did you discover that?  Did you talk to your neighbor about it...or just start throwing it back in his yard?  :)
If I had a dog and I found that out, that wouldn't be the only thing I'd be throwing in his yard!  :twisted:
jessep28
Planning Board

Post by jessep28 »

I noticed that my area driver has been waiting until late Tuesday night to deliver these. Probably so he can be under the cover of darkness.
bbinks
Parks & Recreation

Post by bbinks »

So are you going to call the OWH and apoligize for the calls you made after they quit and you thought they did not?
S33
County Board

Post by S33 »

bbinks wrote:

So are you going to call the OWH and apoligize for the calls you made after they quit and you thought they did not?
They don't have an apology hotline. Even if they did, |expletive| no. I don't admit when I'm wrong very well.

Zilla, yes, it goes right back in his yard. : )
jessep28
Planning Board

Post by jessep28 »

Not satisfied with littering my driveway every week, OWH has given me a free newspaper for the past couple days.
bakercola
New to the Neighborhood

Post by bakercola »

I talked to wh they said private contractor is delivering ads.You can stop ads if you do not take the wh but you have to call wh.I asked them if they could tell delivery people to not toss ad into yards that had one in yard from previous week.The told me Hy Vee paid them to deliver ads to every home in Omaha and area towns.I stopped taking the wh out of protest because I was not getting ads because I was taking paper.I told them I was not goin to subsidise the cost of people not taking wh just so they get the ads free.They did not care if I stopped taking paper because Hy Vee was paying them to deliver ads.I also trie to contact Hy Vee to inform them they were responsible for trashing up Omaha and did not get a response so I am not shopping at their stores in protest.WH kept blaming HyVee and I know their are other ads to other stores in the ads but my protest is with HyVee because WH kept saying their name.My wife and I followed some delivery people on north 60th and they were tossing out the ads as fast as they could just to get rid of them.Several houses had 6 or 7 sets of ads going across their yard and driveway.I told wh I was a retired and had lots of time on my hands to get the word out but the did not care about that either.Hope to here from anyone on this site for help.[/b]
nativeomahan
County Board

Post by nativeomahan »

We only subscribe to the WH on weekends.  We used to get the Wednesday grocery ads on Tuesday evening.  But for some reason they stopped about a year ago, and we no longer receive them at all.
jessep28
Planning Board

Re: Wednesday World Herald Littering

Post by jessep28 »

I was out running the snow thrower Tuesday night when the dude was delivering the weekly Food Express. I gave him the "NOT TODAY!" evil eye and he didn't throw one in the driveway. However, he came back and delivered it on Wednesday.
BRoss
IT Director

Post by BRoss »

These freaking things are responsible for the post office putting a hold on my mail twice now. I know I'm bad about checking my mail, but it wouldn't fill up so fast if I didn't get this |expletive|. Now I get to go to Boys Town tomorrow over lunch to get my mail reinstated. :evil:
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

HR Paperstacks wrote:These freaking things are responsible for the post office putting a hold on my mail twice now. I know I'm bad about checking my mail, but it wouldn't fill up so fast if I didn't get this |expletive|. Now I get to go to Boys Town tomorrow over lunch to get my mail reinstated.  :evil:
They can't put these things in your mailbox??? Mailboxes are for US Post Office Officials only.
jessep28
Planning Board

Post by jessep28 »

They might distribute the inserts via USPS to apartment complexes.
BRoss
IT Director

Post by BRoss »

jessep28 wrote:They might distribute the inserts via USPS to apartment complexes.
Yes, that's my case