Wednesday World Herald Littering

General discussion on all things Omaha.

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

ThatGuy
Human Relations

Wednesday World Herald Littering

Post by ThatGuy »

Can anybody tell me if it is legal for the OWH to throw those ads into people's yards/driveways every week?
ThatGuy
Human Relations

Post by ThatGuy »

I picked up at least 60 on my street tonight. I plan on dropping all of them in front of the OWH within the next day or two.
TechnicalDisaster
Parks & Recreation

Post by TechnicalDisaster »

+1

Let me know if you figure out how to get this to stop.  The paper goes from the end of my driveway to my recycle bin - every single Wednesday.
"This is America.  It is my God given right to be loudly opinionated on issues I am completely ignorant of."
bigredmed
Parks & Recreation

Post by bigredmed »

OK, so you don't like them.  Lots of people do use them and like them.
laserdisque
Home Owners Association

Post by laserdisque »

http://www.facebook.com/groups/230262507027937/

There is a facebook group for that.
Beach Dad
ThatGuy
Human Relations

Post by ThatGuy »

bigredmed wrote:OK, so you don't like them.  Lots of people do use them and like them.
I have 80+ that say people on my street generally don't like or use them. Some of them are over 2 months old. Give me your address and I will drop them off so you can use them.
S33
County Board

Post by S33 »

Wow, I thought I was the only one with this problem. I don't have an issue with the OWH, as I'm not a subscriber, but I get some as*hole who throws a "shopper" ad paper on my front lawn at least twice a week, but the little punk has been making a game out of it and the papers are landing on the roof of my front porch. It's pretty far from the road, so I'm pretty sure it's Henry from Rookie of the Year doing it.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

I hate them.  I never even open them.  They go straight in to the trash every week without even looking.

My neighbor one the west side never picks them up.  (he doesn't shovel, rake, or pull weeds for that matter).  I bet there are 20 of them over there now.  Sometimes they end up in my yard and then I throw them away.

I thew it back at their car one day, but I don't think they saw me.

People on this forum |expletive| about wasting gas...  these people waste gas!
ThatGuy
Human Relations

Post by ThatGuy »

Brad wrote:My neighbor one the west side never picks them up. I bet there are 20 of them over there now.  Sometimes they end up in my yard and then I throw them away.
This is my problem with it. I actually open and use them.

I still want to know if it's legal.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

ThatGuy wrote:I still want to know if it's legal.
All I know is that Can NOT put them in the mailbox legally...  Which is completely stupid!  Its your mailbox, you pay for it, you install it, you maintain it, but only the mailman can use it.
ThatGuy
Human Relations

Post by ThatGuy »

It just seems to me that they are literally littering all over the city once a week. If it's OK for them to do this, what is to stop me from rolling around town once a week throwing |expletive| into everybody's yards?
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

ThatGuy wrote:It just seems to me that they are literally littering all over the city once a week. If it's OK for them to do this, what is to stop me from rolling around town once a week throwing |expletive| into everybody's yards?
If you are that board, I got a box of 5000 business cards, it smells better than throwing |expletive|...
GetUrban
Planning Board

Post by GetUrban »

On a related note:  Now that Berkshire Hathaway bought the OWH, Warren Buffet is going to have a contest at the annual Berkshire meeting in May to see if anyone can throw a paper more accurately to land on a front porch than he. The winner gets a Dilly Bar. The funny thing is, most OWH papers are now delivered by throwing them out of a moving car to land on driveways or yards, nowhere near the front porch. He should have no trouble winning. Maybe Warren will encourage a return to front porch delivery. The Wednesday junk is very annoying though.
He said "They are some big, ugly red brick buildings"
...and then they were gone.
Zilla
Library Board

Post by Zilla »

I hate this |expletive|, too.  I opened them for awhile but never found anything worth using.  I've actually called the OWH and asked them to remove me.  You are allegedly supposed to be able to unsubscribe, but I still get it.  They've told me I'm off their list so they don't know why I'm still getting it.   :boom:  :boom:
Equal Opportunity Hater.

Proudly oppressing the rest of Omaha with my suburbia lifestyle since 1999.
jessep28
Planning Board

Post by jessep28 »

They should put something in those which is mildly attractive to extreme couponers. Problem solved. Those crazy people would gladly steal them from your driveway for free..
Verbum Domini Manet in Aeternum
TechnicalDisaster
Parks & Recreation

Post by TechnicalDisaster »

ThatGuy wrote:It just seems to me that they are literally littering all over the city once a week. If it's OK for them to do this, what is to stop me from rolling around town once a week throwing |expletive| into everybody's yards?
Good question.  How is this any different than the fliers left on my car, or shoved in my door.  Seems like it is open season to spread junk anywhere you want to.
"This is America.  It is my God given right to be loudly opinionated on issues I am completely ignorant of."
jessep28
Planning Board

Post by jessep28 »

As I was sitting in my climate controlled vehicle on the way to run an errand this afternoon, I saw one of these sleeves blow across the street and realized that they are a cancer that must be stopped.
S33
County Board

Post by S33 »

The entire town of Plattsmouth is littered with the OWH "Food Express" ads. No exaggeration, some yards have 20-30 papers in them, and they are all over the sides of residential streets. OWH's idiot paperboys also keep delivering to homes in which it's apparent nobody lives (real estate signs, etc).

This is definitely littering - by all definitions.

Quick Addition: Upon making a phone call to the OWH complaints department, they basically dismissed the issue. Further, after calling the city administrator, this is apparently a big-time issue in the town, and they have a long list of complaints. Sounds like they are planning on doing something about it.
Last edited by S33 on Thu Mar 08, 2012 2:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

I was flipping through the channels yesterday after work and came across KFAB talking about the new trash ordnance.  Callers turned it in to a I Hate the OWH food express segment.  One caller said he took a bunch down there and dumped them on the OWH front porch...
S33
County Board

Post by S33 »

heck of an idea.

**In my above comment, I added the calls I just made to the city admin and OWH complaints dept.
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

I heard that too just as I was getting int he truck to go home.  I figured it was ether someone that posts here or someone that reads it here.  Seemed too much in line with all that has been said here.
Brad wrote:I was flipping through the channels yesterday after work and came across KFAB talking about the new trash ordnance.  Callers turned it in to a I Hate the OWH food express segment.  One caller said he took a bunch down there and dumped them on the OWH front porch...
For the record  NEBUGEATER does not equal BUGEATER    !!!!!!!
ThatGuy
Human Relations

Post by ThatGuy »

In all seriousness, it wasn't me. Good to hear more than one person has dumped them in front of the building.
bbinks
Parks & Recreation

Post by bbinks »

I like it.  Many people use the grocery ads to ad-match.  

There are people in my neighborhood that are too lazy to pick the think up too.  Even though they walk past it to take their trash can to the curb weekly.  One yard has hald-dozen rotting away.

At one point the ads came to my mailbox.  Before that and again now its in the white bag that is in tossed in the driveway.  That is unless it is windy.  In which case I just take the nearest one to me.
Bugeater
Library Board

Post by Bugeater »

These things have been irritating the heck out of me ever since they started doing it. And if you think it's bad in a single-family home setting, just imagine what it's like in a multi-family dwelling. They dump a pile by the mailbox and I doubt even 1/4 get used. And god forbid you don't get the rest picked up before the kids get a hold of them and spread them from one end of the grounds to another...

I know my wife pulls up the Baker's ad online, I have to assume most of the others are on the internet as well. The weekly home delivery of grocery ads is just another thing whose time has come and gone.
Life is the sh*t that happens while we wait for moments that never come.
bbinks
Parks & Recreation

Post by bbinks »

How hard is it for the single homeowner to toss the thing in their trash when it comes, or when they take their trash to the curb?  Most have to walk past it to get their mail.    It  seems that laziness is the bigger problem of someone having several in their yard.  

Bugeater wrote:These things have been irritating the heck out of me ever since they started doing it. And if you think it's bad in a single-family home setting, just imagine what it's like in a multi-family dwelling. They dump a pile by the mailbox and I doubt even 1/4 get used. And god forbid you don't get the rest picked up before the kids get a hold of them and spread them from one end of the grounds to another...

I know my wife pulls up the Baker's ad online, I have to assume most of the others are on the internet as well. The weekly home delivery of grocery ads is just another thing whose time has come and gone.
Linkin5
County Board

Post by Linkin5 »

bbinks wrote:How hard is it for the single homeowner to toss the thing in their trash when it comes, or when they take their trash to the curb?  Most have to walk past it to get their mail.    It  seems that laziness is the bigger problem of someone having several in their yard.  

Bugeater wrote:These things have been irritating the heck out of me ever since they started doing it. And if you think it's bad in a single-family home setting, just imagine what it's like in a multi-family dwelling. They dump a pile by the mailbox and I doubt even 1/4 get used. And god forbid you don't get the rest picked up before the kids get a hold of them and spread them from one end of the grounds to another...

Pretty true.  I must be the only person that actually uses these.
S33
County Board

Post by S33 »

bbinks wrote:How hard is it for the single homeowner to toss the thing in their trash when it comes, or when they take their trash to the curb?  Most have to walk past it to get their mail.    It  seems that laziness is the bigger problem of someone having several in their yard.  
Laziness is beside the point. The problem is that when you request them to stop throwing the trash in your yard, they keep doing it. You request again, they still do it. I clean my gutters, I find them up there, too.

I will shove an entire month's worth of the food express up the paper boy's |expletive| if I catch him again.
jessep28
Planning Board

Post by jessep28 »

Not to mention the tons of newsprint, ink, gasoline and man hours wasted on printing this stuff up for people who won't use it.
bbinks
Parks & Recreation

Post by bbinks »

Linkin5 wrote:  
Pretty true.  I must be the only person that actually uses these.
You and I seem to be the only ones here that use them.
bbinks
Parks & Recreation

Post by bbinks »

jessep28 wrote:Not to mention the tons of newsprint, ink, gasoline and man hours wasted on printing this stuff up for people who won't use it.
I get more junk mail in paper resources than what the Food Express is.
Bugeater
Library Board

Post by Bugeater »

Cool, since you don't mind maybe you should post your address so I can come by and throw trash in your yard once a week.
bbinks
Parks & Recreation

Post by bbinks »

You must be one of the lazy |expletive| who would rather pee and moan about it than just take the 30" seconds to toss or recycle it.  I bet you are one of those who also complain about crime in the community, yet do nothing about it.

Bugeater wrote:
Cool, since you don't mind maybe you should post your address so I can come by and throw trash in your yard once a week.
Bugeater
Library Board

Post by Bugeater »

Again, if you're fine with trash being thrown in your yard, post your address.
bbinks
Parks & Recreation

Post by bbinks »

Well, I do not consider it trash.

Have fun with your crusade.  
Bugeater wrote:Again, if you're fine with trash being thrown in your yard, post your address.
joeglow
Planning Board

Post by joeglow »

Bugeater wrote:Again, if you're fine with trash being thrown in your yard, post your address.
Is your response really asking someone to post their address online?
S33
County Board

Post by S33 »

bbinks wrote:Well, I do not consider it trash.
I saw this show the other day called "Hoarders", pretty cool. These people wouldn't consider it trash, either.
Zilla
Library Board

Post by Zilla »

bbinks wrote:You must be one of the lazy |expletive| who would rather pee and moan about it than just take the 30" seconds to toss or recycle it.  I bet you are one of those who also complain about crime in the community, yet do nothing about it.
I do throw mine in the recycle bin.  I've also called the OWH multiple times to ask them to stop.  I don't use it.  I don't want it.  Of the handfull of people that have commented on this thread only TWO so far use it.  I can give you a list of dozens more that don't want it and simply throw it away.  Whether you use it or not...whether someone takes the time to throw it in the recycle bin or not....with the vast majority of people not wanting it, the current handling of this item is a huge waste.  A waste of paper, of plastic (the bag it's wrapped in), gas, and whatever else is used in the production and delivery of this |expletive|.
Equal Opportunity Hater.

Proudly oppressing the rest of Omaha with my suburbia lifestyle since 1999.
jessep28
Planning Board

Post by jessep28 »

It's just like email advertisements. It doesn't take much effort to hit the delete key, but sometimes you just dont want that |expletive| cluttering your inbox.

[youtube][/youtube]
Bugeater
Library Board

Post by Bugeater »

joeglow wrote:
Is your response really asking someone to post their address online?
No, my response is that he probably wouldn't like someone throwing what he considers trash into his yard on a weekly basis either. I can't believe I have to explain that.

Not to mention that his response of basically calling me lazy had little merit either. And while it's true that it's only a minor nuisance for me, my point about multifamily properties is legitimate, it's a big |expletive| hassle for the guys who have to pick all that |expletive| up every damn week.
bbinks
Parks & Recreation

Post by bbinks »

Actually, I pick up cigarette butts out of my yard every week.  I don't go to a blog and |expletive| about it.

Bugeater wrote:  
No, my response is that he probably wouldn't like someone throwing what he considers trash into his yard on a weekly basis either. I can't believe I have to explain that.

Not to mention that his response of basically calling me lazy had little merit either. And while it's true that it's only a minor nuisance for me, my point about multifamily properties is legitimate, it's a big |expletive| hassle for the guys who have to pick all that |expletive| up every darn week.