Peony Park

Post by Brad »

Peony Park

Really Cool OWH Feature!

http://blogs.omaha.com/2012/04/04/from- ... eony-park/
bigredmed
Parks & Recreation

Post by bigredmed »

One of my great grandfathers used a horse drawn grader to dig that pool.  My dad worked for Armour and the office staff there had a club that had a picnic there every year with free food, ride tickets, and every kid of one of the employees got to pick out a toy (from real toys: baseball gloves, bats, skateboards).

Great memories of that park.  It was sad to see it go.
Omababe
Planning Board

Post by Omababe »

I always considered the pool at Peony Park to be one of Omaha's crown jewels!

I considered it to be more of an artificial beach than a swimming pool. I didn't know it was artesian. I kinda figured it was city (rain) water.

I LOVED those three fountain things!

I admit that I was saddened to learn that it was segregated into the 1960s. :( I assumed that since Omaha was in the Nawth, things like that did not happen, at least that far into the 20th century.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Peony had so much to offer and so many memories for me, not just the rides and the artesian beaches ( I also did not know they were artesian) but the ballroom and especially the Royal Grove. I remember learning how to waltz there in the 60's, the band would have to pause and the trains passed by because of the horns. But also seeing some good B bands there in the 70's. I had my first gig there as sound for a band, and my first big mistake when I forgot to down the bass on 25 to 6 or 4 (the board was behind the stage, I was listening out in the back of the crowd. They changed the play list without me knowing.) It had something for everyone and that was what made it special.

I haven't heard about the progress of the new peony out west. I hope it will come about.
ricko
Parks & Recreation

Post by ricko »

Spent many days of my youth there.  I still think it was the nicest all-inclusive family entertainment park I've ever seen, anywhere.  The pictures really don't do it justice. The landscaping was amazing.  I remember seeing the Buckinghams and the Box Tops in the Royal Grove. The Beach Boys also played there in the mid-60's.  My Parents used to attend big band concerts in the ballroom in the 30's and 40's.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Coyote wrote:I haven't heard about the progress of the new peony out west. I hope it will come about.
Saw a bus stop bench that was advertising it yesterday.  I think the bench was at 85th and Blondo.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Here is Peony's Galaxi (Galaxy) Roller Coaster in its new location - Old Orchard Beach, Maine

Uffda
County Board

Post by Uffda »

Saw this in the Sunday paper

PEONY PARK AMUSEMENT PARK & CARL JENNINGS MEMORABILIA & ANTIQUE AUCTION

Saturday December 15th - 2012 - 10:00AM

http://www.theauctionmill.com/auction_d ... ?id=191293
daveoma
Parks & Recreation

Re:

Post by daveoma »

Coyote wrote:Here is Peony's Galaxi (Galaxy) Roller Coaster in its new location - Old Orchard Beach, Maine

Wow it looked so much bigger and faster when I was a kid.
Coyote
City Council

Re: Peony Park

Post by Coyote »

And longer... That was just over 2 minutes? We waited 30 minutes for a 2 minute ride?
choke
Human Relations

Post by choke »

I've always been disappointed in what became of Peony Park: some mediocre businesses although I do like to shop at Hy-Vee. It's very sad. Hopefully, if Crossroads Village every gets going, it will bring some new life to that area.
NEDodger
Parks & Recreation

Post by NEDodger »

Nice article in the paper today about the history of Peony Park. Lots of cool historical photos:

https://omaha.com/news/local/history/cl ... the-latest
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

A few years ago, but I just found this today…

The Rise and Fall of Peony Park

Created by: Lexi Hostert, Jacob Anderson, Jacob Levy
Music: Fat Rat-Xenogenesis, Duke Ellington- Take the "A" Train, Andrew G- Inspirational Background Music**
Video Footage Provided By: SKAR advertising, The Auction Mill, and Joel Rogers