Metro area and region sports discussion

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

BRoss
IT Director

Re: Professional Sports team

Post by BRoss »

Omaha Cowboy wrote:
Coyote wrote:Las Vegas gets an NHL team
Unfortunately, this is probably a measuring stick to show just how far away Omaha is to being "awarded" any major league sports franchise..

The business community, for whatever reason, has never really been willing to pony up..and the city is focusing on Omaha being an "event city".. Which in reality, is a good thing as it relates being known nationally for something sports related...

Ciao..LiO...Peace
I personally don't want to see us ever get a pro team. We do amateur sports well and are pretty well recognized for that. Once we start to go pro that will probably all start to fall apart.
Omaha Cowboy
The Don

Post by Omaha Cowboy »

HR Paperstacks wrote: I personally don't want to see us ever get a pro team. We do amateur sports well and are pretty well recognized for that. Once we start to go pro that will probably all start to fall apart.
I'd say yes and no reacting to your comment.. Omaha is basically following the Indianapolis, Indiana model in developing its reputation as a premiere sports event town.. They were doing this well before the NFL Colts were lured away from Baltimore to Indy in 1984..

I believe Omaha could be great at sustaining both..I personally don't see one tying into the other..

That said, realistically, Omaha is far, FAR off from being rewarded a major league sports franchise.. And one of the main reasons is the local business community seems completely dis-interested in throwing money at the possibility.. Therefore at present, Omaha will continue to be really good at being an event only driven "sportstown".. Which as I stated before, is still a good thing..

It's better to be known for being consistently good at something, than nothing at all...

Ciao..LiO...Peace
Go Cowboys!
choke
Human Relations

Post by choke »

Omaha Cowboy wrote:
HR Paperstacks wrote: I personally don't want to see us ever get a pro team. We do amateur sports well and are pretty well recognized for that. Once we start to go pro that will probably all start to fall apart.
I'd say yes and no reacting to your comment.. Omaha is basically following the Indianapolis, Indiana model in developing its reputation as a premiere sports event town.. They were doing this well before the NFL Colts were lured away from Baltimore to Indy in 1984..

I believe Omaha could be great at sustaining both..I personally don't see one tying into the other..

That said, realistically, Omaha is far, FAR off from being rewarded a major league sports franchise.. And one of the main reasons is the local business community seems completely dis-interested in throwing money at the possibility.. Therefore at present, Omaha will continue to be really good at being an event only driven "sportstown".. Which as I stated before, is still a good thing..

It's better to be known for being consistently good at something, than nothing at all...

Ciao..LiO...Peace
Omaha could definitely support pro basketball. Creighton sells out. I don't think 17,000 plus is any different from what OKC Thunder draws for its games. The problem is is that KC should get the pro team before Omaha does. Which I wish KC would get NBA and NHL. Omaha would most likely get the minor league teams, which I am fine with.
Omaha Cowboy
The Don

Post by Omaha Cowboy »

choke wrote:
Omaha Cowboy wrote:

Ciao..LiO...Peace
Omaha could definitely support pro basketball. Creighton sells out. I don't think 17,000 plus is any different from what OKC Thunder draws for its games. The problem is is that KC should get the pro team before Omaha does. Which I wish KC would get NBA and NHL. Omaha would most likely get the minor league teams, which I am fine with.
I seriously doubt Omaha would support minor league pro hockey (remember the Omaha Aksarben Knights debacle 8 years back).. And D league Pro basketball? I have my doubts that would last too. Omaha is fortunate to maintain AAA baseball..

I believe Omaha could support major league sports. I believe it could support NBA, NHL (and even the NFL for that matter)..

But again and realistically, money and commitment from members of the Omaha business community is the biggest key. I don't think KC deserves anything before Omaha does.. Lets explain Oklahoma City.. The ONLY reason that town has an NBA franchise is because a wealthy member of OKC's business community purchased the Seattle Supersonics and had the passion to move that franchise to his hometown. Period. No member of Omaha's wealthy business community has that passion or vision..

As far as I know at least :;): ...

Ciao..LiO...Peace
Go Cowboys!
bmt
Home Owners Association

Post by bmt »

When Columbus got an NHL expansion team ~20 years ago they paid $60 million expansion fee. Vegas just paid a $500 million dollar expansion fee. Unless some owner wants to pull a Stan Kroenke and move their team here, my hopes of NHL in Omaha are not realistic.

As for NBA, I don't think that just because Creighton packs the Clink that you can say an NBA team would work here. Creighton has ~20 home games a year where an NBA would have 42 regular season home games a year. NBA tickets are also going to be 3X-4X as expensive as Creighton games. I also doubt that Creighton wants an NBA team to be stealing their season ticket holders.

My hope for pro sports right now would be a NASL (North American Soccer League) franchise. Yeah I know that isn't the most exciting sport or league to most people, but I think Omaha would be a good fit.
MTO
City Council

Post by MTO »

If all we could land is a soccer team then forget it.
15-17, 26, 32
TitosBuritoBarn
Planning Board

Post by TitosBuritoBarn »

Let's remember that no market our size has a pro team except Green Bay, who relies on the entirety of Wisconsin. The closest otherwise is Buffalo whose metro had 200,000 more people when the Bills were established in 1960.
"Video game violence is not a new problem. Who could forget in the wake of SimCity how children everywhere took up urban planning." - Stephen Colbert
Athomsfere
Planning Board

Post by Athomsfere »

Denver was our size when it got it's pro team in 1960...

(Also, not a sports fan, just looking around)
TitosBuritoBarn
Planning Board

Post by TitosBuritoBarn »

That was 1960. Most major metros were 40% to 70% the size that they are now.
"Video game violence is not a new problem. Who could forget in the wake of SimCity how children everywhere took up urban planning." - Stephen Colbert
mrsticka
Parks & Recreation

Post by mrsticka »

If Omaha did get a pro-sports team, what would it be called? What would their mascot be?
RNcyanide
Planning Board

Post by RNcyanide »

The Wrecking Balls.
When fortune smiles on something as violent and ugly as revenge, it seems proof like no other that not only does God exist, you're doing his will.

The Bride
NovakOmaha
Planning Board

Post by NovakOmaha »

Omaha Cowboy wrote:Lets explain Oklahoma City.. The ONLY reason that town has an NBA franchise is because a wealthy member of OKC's business community purchased the Seattle Supersonics and had the passion to move that franchise to his hometown. Period. No member of Omaha's wealthy business community has that passion or vision..

Ciao..LiO...Peace
That's it. Simple as that. Here in Detroit the Ford family owns the Lions, the family that owns the Red Wings and Tigers owns Little Caesars Pizza. The guy that owns the Pistons lives in California but if from here and has a mountain of cash. Detroit also has over 5,000,000 potential fans in the vicinity.

Can Omaha support a pro team? No idea. Buffet bought a 1/4 share of the Omaha Royals to help keep it in town. That's about as good as it gets in Omaha. OKC is larger than Omaha and can draw from Tulsa. BUT the guy who bought it had the cash to buy it and move it.

Unless and until some moneyed person has the money, desire & balls to hope to make money it's always going to be a longshot.

Since moving here I've been to games of all four major sports and there is truly nothing like a pro sports game. The Lions, Tigers and Red Wings play downtown in amazing venues (the Wings are building a new arena). The Pistons literally play in the Palace. And it is. On the other hand, the Lions did go 0-16 a few years ago. At least Omaha fans didn't have to witness that fiasco.
Omaha Cowboy
The Don

Post by Omaha Cowboy »

NovakOmaha wrote:
Omaha Cowboy wrote:Lets explain Oklahoma City.. The ONLY reason that town has an NBA franchise is because a wealthy member of OKC's business community purchased the Seattle Supersonics and had the passion to move that franchise to his hometown. Period. No member of Omaha's wealthy business community has that passion or vision..

Ciao..LiO...Peace
That's it. Simple as that. Here in Detroit the Ford family owns the Lions, the family that owns the Red Wings and Tigers owns Little Caesars Pizza. The guy that owns the Pistons lives in California but if from here and has a mountain of cash. Detroit also has over 5,000,000 potential fans in the vicinity.

Can Omaha support a pro team? No idea. Buffet bought a 1/4 share of the Omaha Royals to help keep it in town. That's about as good as it gets in Omaha. OKC is larger than Omaha and can draw from Tulsa. BUT the guy who bought it had the cash to buy it and move it.

Unless and until some moneyed person has the money, desire & balls to hope to make money it's always going to be a longshot.

Since moving here I've been to games of all four major sports and there is truly nothing like a pro sports game. The Lions, Tigers and Red Wings play downtown in amazing venues (the Wings are building a new arena). The Pistons literally play in the Palace. And it is. On the other hand, the Lions did go 0-16 a few years ago. At least Omaha fans didn't have to witness that fiasco.
Nice detail on the major league spectator experience Novak.. And I agree, there is nothing like taking in a major pro sports event- being a Cowboys fan since my youth, I've been going to NFL games in Dallas since I was a teenager (saw what turned out to be Roger Staubach's last NFL game in 1979).. When the NBA Kings played part of their home schedule in Omaha in the 70's, I attended most of those games as a kid due to my uncle being a season ticket holder.. I've also attended NFL, NBA, MLB and NHL games in different cities and have always greatly enjoyed the fan experience..

Of course, I've also attended many NU college football games since I was a kid.. I like those games too. But it's a completely different atmosphere compared to attending an NFL game. I do enjoy both though..

In the end, as I and Novak have stated, major league sports in Omaha simply won't happen unless the big money business movers have the passion, commitment and resources to bring this level of entertainment to our city.. For the foreseeable future, I don't see it happening...

Ciao..LiO...Peace
Go Cowboys!
Garrett
Planning Board

Post by Garrett »

I'd rather take money invested into a pro sports team and actually invest it into the city. Pro Sports teams, much like the Olympics, are kind of like building a car out of solid gold. They sure are sparkly and expensive, but they don't really do much. And then what happens 20 years down the line when a team, like the Rams, demands millions of dollars for a new stadium, else they'll move? Omaha has got it right. Focus on more amateur/collegiate athletics plus big events like the Trials.
OMA-->CHI-->NYC
Athomsfere
Planning Board

Post by Athomsfere »

Garrett wrote:I'd rather take money invested into a pro sports team and actually invest it into the city. Pro Sports teams, much like the Olympics, are kind of like building a car out of solid gold. They sure are sparkly and expensive, but they don't really do much. And then what happens 20 years down the line when a team, like the Rams, demands millions of dollars for a new stadium, else they'll move? Omaha has got it right. Focus on more amateur/collegiate athletics plus big events like the Trials.
I tend to agree. I don't think we need a pro team. I don't really care for sports (I'll go to a live game every few years, and I never catch them on TV).

I do want Omaha to get a pro team though, as in MLS, NHL, NFL etc.. There are groups of people where being able to go to a live pro game is a deal breaker when considering relocating for example.
NEDodger
Parks & Recreation

Post by NEDodger »

A pro team will never happen. We don't have the media market for it and pro sports-wise, we're considered part of the Kansas City territory. No league would approve one here.
Omaha Cowboy
The Don

Post by Omaha Cowboy »

Omaha being part of the Kansas City market for major league sports? Sure, Omaha is a regional draw..but it's not part of their territory and really not a reason why Omaha will not see a major league sports franchise in the foreseeable future..

Media market size is a factor. But if Lincoln is factored in (which it should be anyway) then the Omaha market is in the same category as OKC and larger than Buffalo, NY..

What is valid, is Omaha business backing it, with a passion to bring this level of major sports entertainment here.. That's the numero uno reason why we don't see it..

As to not wanting a pro sports team? I disagree with this. Why would we not? It was mentioned a pro sports team doesn't do much.. Think- Exposure. Nationally and even internationally..even minimally, that's what it does. It exposes Omaha to the big wide world not unlike the annual Warren Buffett Berkshire Hathaway pilgrimage to Omaha does. You can't put a price tag on that. It would be another large notch putting Omaha on the map.. And that's HUGE..

In the end, a major league professional sports franchise in Omaha is a pipe dream right now, unfortunately. But certainly not something that could never happen...

Ciao..LiO...Peace
Go Cowboys!
mrsticka
Parks & Recreation

Post by mrsticka »

I once thought to myself if Omaha had an NFL team, what would it be? I came up with The Pounders.
Omaha Cowboy
The Don

Post by Omaha Cowboy »

This article is from 2012.. It's a bit dated, but still an interesting read from a national publication regarding the potential for major league sports in Omaha-

:thumb: ...

Ciao..LiO...Peace
Go Cowboys!
Erik
Parks & Recreation

Post by Erik »

What I love about Omaha is the love of college sports which the NCAA fully recognizes and takes advantage of it when they can.

There are a few sports which could work well with Omaha's love for college sports. Hockey and Soccer. The others would take too much luster from Omaha's current, but very important, identity. People here love college sports and bringing in the NBA or NFL would disrupt the the love over time. The financial impacts of NCAA events losing Omaha would begin to be felt.

A wise businessman with loads of money would start considering the prospect of bringing in those two sports.
MadMartin8
Planning Board

Post by MadMartin8 »

If there was to be a Professional Sports team in Omaha, I think Hockey would have the greatest chance, given the appreciation the sport has in this city. That said, it would be a huge stretch to say the very least...it'd kinda have to be a Green Bay type situation but with an NHL team.
No posts exist for this topic
bigredmed
Parks & Recreation

Post by bigredmed »

MadMartin8 wrote:If there was to be a Professional Sports team in Omaha, I think Hockey would have the greatest chance, given the appreciation the sport has in this city. That said, it would be a huge stretch to say the very least...it'd kinda have to be a Green Bay type situation but with an NHL team.
Considering how the last team fared, and the declining fan base for the Mavs, I don't know that that is likely.

Pro sports need a lot of fans who don't mind paying NHL prices two to three times a week. We don't have that.
Omaha Cowboy
The Don

Post by Omaha Cowboy »

bigredmed wrote:
MadMartin8 wrote: Considering how the last team fared, and the declining fan base for the Mavs, I don't know that that is likely.

Pro sports need a lot of fans who don't mind paying NHL prices two to three times a week. We don't have that.
The last team was a minor league hockey team.. Marketed as poorly as I've seen. To the point where many people thought the Lancers (high school hockey) played at the same level as the Aksarben Knights (minor league PRO hockey). It was a joke..

Apples and oranges..

With NHL, even the most casual fan will already know it's the highest level of hockey available. Omaha could support NHL hockey in my opinion.. But again, it won't happen unless a big money business leader in Omaha has the drive and passion to make it happen. I firmly believe Omaha could support at least one major league sports team.. But unfortunately, perhaps in our lifetimes, it probably won't happen.. But that doesn't mean it shouldn't happen..

I'm a believer that Omaha, frankly, is apathetic for the most part to what they consider "bush league" MINOR league pro sports.. But if the Omaha sports fan was presented with a legitimate big league sports franchise? I think it would flourish here (at least one team would in my humble opinion)...

Ciao..LiO...Peace
Go Cowboys!
MadMartin8
Planning Board

Post by MadMartin8 »

Omaha Cowboy wrote:
bigredmed wrote:
MadMartin8 wrote: Considering how the last team fared, and the declining fan base for the Mavs, I don't know that that is likely.

The last team was a minor league hockey team.. Marketed as poorly as I've seen. To the point where many people thought the Lancers (high school hockey) played at the same level as the Aksarben Knights (minor league PRO hockey). It was a joke..

Apples and oranges..

With NHL, even the most casual fan will already know it's the highest level of hockey available. Omaha could support NHL hockey in my opinion.. But again, it won't happen unless a big money business leader in Omaha has the drive and passion to make it happen. I firmly believe Omaha could support at least one major league sports team.. But unfortunately, perhaps in our lifetimes, it probably won't happen.. But that doesn't mean it shouldn't happen..

I'm a believer that Omaha, frankly, is apathetic for the most part to what they consider "bush league" MINOR league pro sports.. But if the Omaha sports fan was presented with a legitimate big league sports franchise? I think it would flourish here (at least one team would in my humble opinion)...

Ciao..LiO...Peace
Bingo. Plus, there is more money in this town than some think here, that would gladly spend for the highest level of entertainment, especially in sports. The insinuation that we don't have the money in this town or the willingness to spend that kind of money is silly.
bigredmed
Parks & Recreation

Post by bigredmed »

My comment was not silly. We see again and again that special events get supported because people can budget time and money. Not so with a $70 per ticket nose bleed seat per game two to three times per week.

Omaha does not have the population to.support that.
MadMartin8
Planning Board

Post by MadMartin8 »

bigredmed wrote:My comment was not silly. We see again and again that special events get supported because people can budget time and money. Not so with a $70 per ticket nose bleed seat per game two to three times per week.

The notion that there isn't enough money, nor are there enough people who would willingly spend to support a local professional sports team in this town is indeed, silly. Omaha is close to a million people, and has a strong sports community, and certainly isn't a town that would have trouble finding 17k people who would spend the money to see games if for nothing else other than the social status of doing so, if not for the sport itself. What Omaha lacks, as mentioned, the start up capita needed to launch the franchise in the first place, and to build it from the ground up. That is the thing that will likely not happen in the near term.
Omaha Cowboy
The Don

Post by Omaha Cowboy »

MadMartin8 wrote:
bigredmed wrote:My comment was not silly. We see again and again that special events get supported because people can budget time and money. Not so with a $70 per ticket nose bleed seat per game two to three times per week.

The notion that there isn't enough money, nor are there enough people who would willingly spend to support a local professional sports team in this town is indeed, silly. Omaha is close to a million people, and has a strong sports community, and certainly isn't a town that would have trouble finding 17k people who would spend the money to see games if for nothing else other than the social status of doing so, if not for the sport itself. What Omaha lacks, as mentioned, the start up capita needed to launch the franchise in the first place, and to build it from the ground up. That is the thing that will likely not happen in the near term.
I don't believe population or people with enough money is the issue.. There is enough sustainable population in the Omaha area/region and money..

Floating the Omaha sports community what they perceive is another "turd" minor league sports franchise, then backing it up with poor marketing- Sure it won't be attended here. We've seen it happen before. Let's not get this example mixed up with bringing in a big league major league sports franchise..

The real issue, and I've said it time and time again in this thread, is the business community stepping up to the plate..with a passion, vision and commitment.. To purchase a big league franchise and move it here. That's how OKC obtained the NBA Thunder. And that's the only way, realistically, Omaha could too...

Ciao..LiO...Peace
Go Cowboys!
NovakOmaha
Planning Board

Post by NovakOmaha »

I've already said what's needed for a pro team in Omaha, money and somebody with it who wants to do it.

Here are the thoughts of others regarding the topic:

http://www.sbnation.com/2011/12/8/26180 ... orts-teams

The dates are a bit older but the sentiment holds. Some of the points are pretty spot on and others can be a bit of a stretch. It's fun to speculate and this forum is certainly one to do that but keeping things in perspective, consider the attendance of larger cities.
NEDodger
Parks & Recreation

Post by NEDodger »

Laughable pipe dream.

Oklahoma City keeps getting mentioned as a comparable. Yes, Omaha would gather fans from Lincoln however OKC has Tulsa to draw upon. That's about 1.3 million vs. 2.5 million people. An NHL or NBA team gets put in Kansas City before Omaha - fact. Both leagues are going to go with the larger media market, the larger population base, and the ready-built arena without a conflicting tenant. The LOWEST average NHL attendance is DOUBLE what UNO averages, and UNO Hockey has a dedicated fan base, history of success, lower ticket prices, AND the personal connection of it being the hometown college (you know - the level of sport that Omahans MUCH prefer to support vs. professional?).

I know, I know - Columbus, Ohio has a hockey team. Columbus is also about twice the size of Omaha population-wise, is in a part of the country where hockey is more popular and also gets to draw upon Cincinnati's population.

MLB? Lmao. For anyone who went to Omaha Royals games in the final years of Rosenblatt (I was one of the few), you'll understand why this would never happen. You can't make the argument "1,000 people showed up per AAA game....but if we JUST HAD A MAJOR LEAGUE TEAM it would DEFINITELY draw...!". MLB is not going to risk having crowds looking like early 2000's Rosenblatt Stadium. MLB averages over 30,000 people a game, 81 game dates per city a year. I don't see 1 in 30 people in the metro spending $50.00 a ticket, 81 days a year. You may have a super rich owner who LOVES baseball being fully and willing to place a team here - the other owners would never allow it. You're telling me with revenue sharing they're going to risk having to subsidize Omaha? When Charlotte, Austin/San Antonio, Nashville, and OKC/Tulsa don't have teams? Haha, WHAAAAAT?

NFL is a non-starter. The Huskers are rightfully seen as competition for football dollars, we're territory for the Chiefs, and when the NFL looks for movement/expansion the cities thrown about are Los Angeles, Las Vegas and San Antonio. This isn't a Green Bay situation (which draws from Milwaukee, anyways...).

Gotta put the hometown bias aside, guys. I'd love to have a pro sports team here more than anyone (it'd save me a bunch on travel dollars), but we're seen as an attendance feeder for Kansas City. We're in the Albuquerque/Honolulu/Knoxville/Fresno/Albany population bracket. Nice size, but not pro team-worthy. If we were a tourist destination, a la New Orleans, there could maybe be an argument as you'd draw some out-of-town guests. But we're not.
Omaha Cowboy
The Don

Post by Omaha Cowboy »

I have to say Dodger, you're right.. But I don't agree with some of your reasoning..

There is no such thing as Omaha in KC's territory for sports teams. Explain San Antonio.. They are certainly seen as a "feeder" for the Dallas Cowboys.. But yet they're always in the conversation when NFL expansion comes up.. This territory point you bring up is really not a valid one.. That said, NFL for Omaha is about as likely as an Ocean coast beach appearing overnight along the Omaha riverfront when we wake up in the morning.. MLB is also an unrealistic possibility.. Those points I agree with..

What's left is NBA, NHL and Major Indoor Soccer.. All are a BIG TIME stretch for Omaha. But there is a remote (very remote) possibility here.. Omaha/Lincoln being a 1.3 million draw.. Add another 750,000 from central lowa just a couple hour drive away to the east and Sioux Falls/Sioux City just 90 minutes to 2 hours away to the north; and another combined 350,000..and you see from a regional marketing standpoint, there is enough sustainable population to make NBA/NHL or Soccer work.. And there is enough money in the greater Omaha sports community (remember, Omaha is a 3 hour drive from KC and you call Omaha a regional draw for KC)..it doesn't take "hometown bias" to see the numbers are there.. Just like they are for an OKC..

I also don't think comparing college hockey attendance to something the NHL could bring is a valid comparison. Apples and oranges. I have more faith in the Omaha sports community in decerning college hockey from the finest, highest level of hockey available and it's willingness to pay the price to support it.. We could go back and forth all day about this point, but what's left?..

What's left is a business community commitment. Minus that, none of this can ever happen and it is a "pipe dream" as you say...

Ciao,.LiO...Peace
Go Cowboys!
NEDodger
Parks & Recreation

Post by NEDodger »

Omaha Cowboy wrote:
There is no such thing as Omaha in KC's territory for sports teams. Explain San Antonio.. They are certainly seen as a "feeder" for the Dallas Cowboys.. But yet they're always in the conversation when NFL expansion comes up..

Independent population base, able to also draw from Austin. It's more similar to Los Angeles and San Diego than Omaha and Kansas City.
Omaha Cowboy
The Don

Post by Omaha Cowboy »

NEDodger wrote:
Omaha Cowboy wrote:
There is no such thing as Omaha in KC's territory for sports teams. Explain San Antonio.. They are certainly seen as a "feeder" for the Dallas Cowboys.. But yet they're always in the conversation when NFL expansion comes up..

Independent population base, able to also draw from Austin. It's more similar to Los Angeles and San Diego than Omaha and Kansas City.
I don't know about that my friend.. San Antonio is a HUGE market and base for Dallas Cowboys fans. I'd argue more so than Omaha is for the Chiefs.. San Antonio has also been a training camp home for the Cowboys for a number of years recently. Omaha has never been a training camp site for the Chiefs..

Also, I'd argue, when they are winning, there are probably more Cowboys and Bronocs fans in Omaha than the Chiefs :) ..

I'd say Omaha is just as much, if not more, an independent population base than San Antonio as it relates to this specific discussion...

Ciao..LiO...Peace
Go Cowboys!
skinzfan23
City Council

Post by skinzfan23 »

Can't remember if this was already posted:

American Soccer’s Next Cincinnati is… Omaha?
Omaha is the jewel of this list. It has 10 Fortune 1000 companies and several terrific potential venues, including TD Ameritrade Park (24,505) and Morrison Stadium (7,500), and no competing major league sports. The demographics are solid. Population of 915,000, slightly higher than average homegrown population and an average age 2.5 years under the U.S. average.
Greg S
City Council

Post by Greg S »

I just don't see Omaha supporting a major franchise.

I would definitely classify Omaha as Chief's territory. Lots of season ticket holders here. We went to the home opener and there were a ton of Nebraska plates in the reserved lots where the season ticket holders park.

Greg
skinzfan23
City Council

Post by skinzfan23 »

Greg S wrote:I just don't see Omaha supporting a major franchise.

I would definitely classify Omaha as Chief's territory. Lots of season ticket holders here. We went to the home opener and there were a ton of Nebraska plates in the reserved lots where the season ticket holders park.

Greg
Yeah I agree. It would be hard to pull in people since Creighton basketball and UNO hockey are such large draws. There are only so many $ that can go around.
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

I have said it before, but we could have supported an MLS franchise if we were in on the early wave of expansion. Now there is way too much competition for the league in larger cities. Imagine if wealthy Omaha business person started a team in 2002. Would be a great rivalry with KC and could of had a soccer specific stadium built in North Downtown that is used more regularly than TDAP.

Now that we are too late the best pro franchise we could probably hope for is starting a USL franchise and working our way up to the NASL. Play at Morrison, average 6K and maybe have regional rivalries with the likes of Tulsa, OKC and maybe DSM if they got a team too.
Omaha Cowboy
The Don

Post by Omaha Cowboy »

skinzfan23 wrote:Can't remember if this was already posted:

American Soccer’s Next Cincinnati is… Omaha?
Omaha is the jewel of this list. It has 10 Fortune 1000 companies and several terrific potential venues, including TD Ameritrade Park (24,505) and Morrison Stadium (7,500), and no competing major league sports. The demographics are solid. Population of 915,000, slightly higher than average homegrown population and an average age 2.5 years under the U.S. average.
Good stuff here. I could see Omaha supporting at least 1 major league sports franchise.. and for reasons I've stated multiple times in this thread.. and in my opinion, other than CBS shoving the Chiefs down the Omaha viewers throats every Sunday, I would not call Omaha "Chiefs territory"..

That said- I'm a Cowboys fan.. and am perfectly happy with Fox shoving the Cowboys down Omaha viewers throats every Sunday :) ...

Ciao..LiO...Peace
Go Cowboys!
MadMartin8
Planning Board

Post by MadMartin8 »

iamjacobm wrote:I have said it before, but we could have supported an MLS franchise if we were in on the early wave of expansion. Now there is way too much competition for the league in larger cities. Imagine if wealthy Omaha business person started a team in 2002. Would be a great rivalry with KC and could of had a soccer specific stadium built in North Downtown that is used more regularly than TDAP.

Now that we are too late the best pro franchise we could probably hope for is starting a USL franchise and working our way up to the NASL. Play at Morrison, average 6K and maybe have regional rivalries with the likes of Tulsa, OKC and maybe DSM if they got a team too.
Hmm, I do agree with this for the most part. I'd be curious to see how Omaha would do with an NASL though from the start. That would tell A LOT about anything MLS.
bigredmed
Parks & Recreation

Post by bigredmed »

MadMartin8 wrote:
iamjacobm wrote:I have said it before, but we could have supported an MLS franchise if we were in on the early wave of expansion. Now there is way too much competition for the league in larger cities. Imagine if wealthy Omaha business person started a team in 2002. Would be a great rivalry with KC and could of had a soccer specific stadium built in North Downtown that is used more regularly than TDAP.

Hmm, I do agree with this for the most part. I'd be curious to see how Omaha would do with an NASL though from the start. That would tell A LOT about anything MLS.
Sounds like NASL is the B or C league. Can't speak for others, but I am tired of paying good money to watch has-beens and never will be's play other barely solvent teams.

There is too much to do in this town to settle. College may be a step or three below this, but they don't pack up and leave when their latest attempt to violate the taxpayers is rejected.

Pass.
skinzfan23
City Council

Post by skinzfan23 »

Here is another mention of Omaha for a professional team. I am still not sure the NBA would work here.

With NBA expansion rumored, a look at the pros, cons and prospective cities
I've heard that once the CBA is finished, the expansion bidding could be announced as soon as December or as late as the All-Star Game in February. There are going to be numerous other cities competing with Seattle to get the expansion franchises as well. I do not know if there is just going to be one slot or two. Other cities I've heard that are going to be making a play for expansion are Louisville (they have all their affairs in order and ready to go), Pittsburgh, Omaha, Las Vegas, Vancouver, BC, and Mexico City. Kansas City and St. Louis have been brought up as well, but I can't confirm the validity of their interest.
Omaha: This is... a little weird. It's the 74th biggest market, and its fan makeup does not suggest it would go all out for an NBA product. I'd say I can't imagine trying to sell an NBA free agent on Omaha, but I would have said the same thing about OKC. It hosts large sporting events (like the College World Series), but it seems like a weird fit for an NBA team. CenturyLink Center has just under 19,000 seats and was built in 2003. It's a little long in the tooth but would do for the short-term.