Professional Sports team

Metro area and region sports discussion

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

Omahanerd
New to the Neighborhood

Professional Sports team

Post by Omahanerd »

Just a little bored studying for finals and was wondering if and when people think we could get a professional sports team (NHL, MLS, NBA, NFL, MLB)? Also, which one you think is most likely?
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Round 52.....

Just kidding, this topic has been discussed over and over and over on here.  Basicall comes down to we don't have the TV Market to "support" a professional sports team.
S33
County Board

Post by S33 »

Take Kansas city's struggles and times it by 5 and you would have the condition of professional sports in Omaha.
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

Brad wrote:Round 52.....

Just kidding, this topic has been discussed over and over and over on here.  Basicall comes down to we don't have the TV Market to "support" a professional sports team.

Not sure if we have the Corporate appetite either for ticket sales.  Many of the tickets would need to be corporate at the prices they are at and not bought by Joe and Jane six pack.
For the record  NEBUGEATER does not equal BUGEATER    !!!!!!!
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

MLS is the only one I could possibly see, and that is a long shot.
Omahanerd
New to the Neighborhood

Post by Omahanerd »

Come on! Maybe in 10-15 years we could have one! I'm hoping we get a NBA team then, OKC did it! Wheres the optimism guys????   :banana:
NovakOmaha
Planning Board

Post by NovakOmaha »

Well, support is important.  More important would be having someone, and they don't have to live in Omaha, who would be willing to front the money to buy a franchise and subsidize a team.  OKC got a team because someone had the cash to buy one.  Simple as that.

Now as far as supporting a team.  According to the 2010 cencus Metro OKC was over 1.25 million, not counting Tulsa which isnt a horrible drive.  Tulsa is about another million. IF you could get a team that could draw from Lincoln as well, then MAYBE there would be enough bodies to support a team.

Big risk.  Big dollars.  Need very deep pockets.  Rickets bet on Chicago, so that family is out.  Buffett, well, if you stuck a lump of coal up his a$$ in a minute you'd have a diamond.  Not sure who else there is.
derog
Home Owners Association

Post by derog »

NovakOmaha wrote:Well, support is important.  More important would be having someone, and they don't have to live in Omaha, who would be willing to front the money to buy a franchise and subsidize a team.  OKC got a team because someone had the cash to buy one.  Simple as that.

Now as far as supporting a team.  According to the 2010 cencus Metro OKC was over 1.25 million, not counting Tulsa which isnt a horrible drive.  Tulsa is about another million. IF you could get a team that could draw from Lincoln as well, then MAYBE there would be enough bodies to support a team.

Big risk.  Big dollars.  Need very deep pockets.  Rickets bet on Chicago, so that family is out.  Buffett, well, if you stuck a lump of coal up his a$$ in a minute you'd have a diamond.  Not sure who else there is.
I visited Phoenix and we got nosebleeds to watch the Suns play. Face value was somewhere around $115. I would be happy to eat my hat on this, but there's no way Omahans would pay that to watch pro basketball. Anecdotally speaking (i.e. no facts whatsoever), the most popular sports in Nebraska are:

1) College football
2) Pro football
3) College basketball
4) College baseball/Pro basketball/Pro baseball

Even optimistically, pro basketball is the third most popular sport in the state. When 22 NBA teams lose money, I don't see enough support or money for a pro basketball team to be able to draw the crowds it would need to get into the black.
Erik
Parks & Recreation

Post by Erik »

NovakOmaha wrote:Well, support is important.  More important would be having someone, and they don't have to live in Omaha, who would be willing to front the money to buy a franchise and subsidize a team.  OKC got a team because someone had the cash to buy one.  Simple as that.

Des Moines - Ames isn't a horrible drive either.  That's another 750,000 people which is just a couple of hours away.  While Tulsa and OKC are 110 miles apart, Omaha and Des Moines are 140.
ThatGuy
Human Relations

Post by ThatGuy »

derog wrote:I visited Phoenix and we got nosebleeds to watch the Suns play. Face value was somewhere around $115.

I've been to enough NBA games to know this can't possibly be true.
cdub
Parks & Recreation

Post by cdub »

Erik wrote:

Des Moines - Ames isn't a horrible drive either.  That's another 750,000 people which is just a couple of hours away.  While Tulsa and OKC are 110 miles apart, Omaha and Des Moines are 140.
This number is really useless.  Take every existing team then and add up all the people within 2-3 hours and see where we rank.  Way past the number of teams in any current league, thats where.
cp jay 07
Human Relations

Post by cp jay 07 »

ThatGuy wrote:
derog wrote:I visited Phoenix and we got nosebleeds to watch the Suns play. Face value was somewhere around $115.

Yeah unless they were playing LA I can't believe this. Look on Stubhub any given night and you will find plenty of tickets for as low as 20 dollars or less.

Don't even get this topic going again cause you will just hear the "I prefer college sports" excuse again. I don't know how anyone in their right mind could prefer college sports over the best players in the world. I love college basketball, but if you told me I could see Kobe, Durant, and Paul come through town I would jump on it.
TitosBuritoBarn
Planning Board

Post by TitosBuritoBarn »

ThatGuy wrote:

Yeah. I went to a Bulls game about a month ago where nosebleeds were $40.
bigredmed
Parks & Recreation

Post by bigredmed »

Pro teams in Omaha have a history to live down.  

When we had an NBA team, KC got the Friday and Sat night games.  Omaha got the Tuesday night games.   We got to pay full price for the tickets on crappy weeknight games.   They got the fun weekend games.   Yep, second billing, but way less than a partner.

When the knights were here, tickets were 20%to higher than the Mavs, but again tuesday night games.   Sorry, but this is a family town and pro sports teams got to deal with that.   Not the other way around.

Otherwise its like a clothing store that decides to sell only what they want, rather than what their customers want and complaining that they dont get support in Omaha.
Omaha_Gabe
Human Relations

Post by Omaha_Gabe »

bigredmed wrote:Pro teams in Omaha have a history to live down.  

When we had an NBA team, KC got the Friday and Sat night games.  Omaha got the Tuesday night games.   We got to pay full price for the tickets on crappy weeknight games.   They got the fun weekend games.   Yep, second billing, but way less than a partner.

When the knights were here, tickets were 20%to higher than the Mavs, but again tuesday night games.   Sorry, but this is a family town and pro sports teams got to deal with that.   Not the other way around.

Otherwise its like a clothing store that decides to sell only what they want, rather than what their customers want and complaining that they dont get support in Omaha.
Wasn't that nearly 40 years ago? (NBA Team) I feel that would be an irrelevant case now.....
cp jay 07
Human Relations

Post by cp jay 07 »

bigredmed wrote: When the knights were here, tickets were 20%to higher than the Mavs, but again tuesday night games.   Sorry, but this is a family town and pro sports teams got to deal with that.   Not the other way around.

I don't really understand your Knights argument here considering they played plenty of weekend games as well. A professional team will have to play on weeknights since they do play more games than college teams. And Creighton can draw 17k on a Wednesday so not really sure where you are going here.

But it is Omaha so I forgot we need to schedule all of our events "Thinking of the Children"
MadMartin8
Planning Board

Post by MadMartin8 »

cp jay 07 wrote:
bigredmed wrote: When the knights were here, tickets were 20%to higher than the Mavs, but again tuesday night games.   Sorry, but this is a family town and pro sports teams got to deal with that.   Not the other way around.

I don't really understand your Knights argument here considering they played plenty of weekend games as well. A professional team will have to play on weeknights since they do play more games than college teams. And Creighton can draw 17k on a Wednesday so not really sure where you are going here.

But it is Omaha so I forgot we need to schedule all of our events "Thinking of the Children"

A lot of their games were during the week, and when you're trying to build a fanbase in a niche sport, that does not bode well. In addition, their front office for the Omaha team was beyond mis-managed. Every report I've heard coming from the organization was not positive AT ALL.

It was one blunder after another that sunk that team, and that's a huge bummer because I'm a huge hockey fan. Most likely it shot down our chances of having another AHL/IHL team.
bmt
Home Owners Association

Post by bmt »

When I think professional sports in Omaha it usually ends with me having a handful of teams that I cannot name one player from.  Whereas the college teams in the area I can list off their rosters like nobody's business.  I think this is partly because the popular college teams (Mavs Hockey, Creighton Bball/Soccer, Huskers) are all competing against top competition (Division 1). People want to see their teams compete at the highest level.  I think this is one of the many reasons why these "minor league" teams never seem to stick.

I think it would be really neat to see a top league professional team in Omaha.  Some team that we (not just diehard fans but also the casual fans) could rally around.  I watch the OKC Thunder on tv during the playoffs and that atmosphere looks like alot of fun.  Last year I was in OKC during the Thunder's series with Dallas, and the city was just electric.  Any where you go everyone was talking about the game.  Sadly though, I do not think Omaha will get a NBA team in the near future.

I think we can pretty much cross NFL, NBA, and MLB off our list unless they have extreme expansion.

MLS and NHL really intrigue me.

First I will start with NHL.  Omaha likes their hockey.  Omahan's like fun sports atmospheres. Playoff atmospheres for hockey rival any sport.  And I also think that the C-Link Center could right now support a hockey team (arena size wise....not so sure about availability wise).  The only thing that would need to happen would be an expansion of a couple teams.  I do not have inside info, but I think that there would be a few other cities that are "next in line" for a team (pure speculation).  So I will hold out hope for an NHL team.  8)

Lastly MLS.  A couple years ago the MLS talent was garbage.  It was hard to watch.  Now it is much better, I actually find myself watching some games on tv.  Granted it is nowhere near to the best talent (go to europe for that) , but it is entertaining.  I look at soccer fans and fans in the state, and see many similarities.... mainly loyalty and passion.  So depending on how the futbol is accepted in a football state, I think fans could really rally behind a team.  The MLS only has 19 teams (16 in US, 3 in good ol' Canada) so there is room for expansion.  A couple negatives would be that Omaha is smaller than all the cities that have teams (closest is probably Salt Lake City).  Also where would a team play Morrisson Stadium??  So I will hold out hope for an MLS team.  8)

So...answering the original question, I think that Omaha should not get their hopes up for an NFL, NBA, or MLB team.  Its just not going to happen.  But for MLS and NHL I could see those two having a slim to decent chance.  It would have to be a perfect scenario though.  But hey, I can still dream.

That is just for top league teams.  There will be plenty of lower league teams that will come and go.
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

MLS would play at TD.  There is a certain population of this city that really wants to be considered of the Seattle/Portland breed.  Those two cities really support their soccer teams, I think Omaha would draw pretty well.  Omaha has a good soccer base too Creighton is one of the tops in the country for college attendance also.
MadMartin8
Planning Board

Post by MadMartin8 »

I think an MLS team would work here, potentially. Although TD Ameritrade would be an awkward venue for it to be honest. There would have to be an interesting new configuration for seating that I just don't see working very well.

We'd have an almost natural rivalry with Kansas City, though.

The NHL would require probably another 1,000 seat expansion for the CLink to make it reach ~18,000 for Hockey and I don't know where they'd put that. Maybe slightly underneath the new addition, and then expanding the seating at the top (there is a gap between the supports and the weird metallic colored walls at the top of the uppermost bowl)?  Most NHL arenas are around 17,800 to 19,000 so we'd want to be within that range.
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

MadMartin8 wrote:I think an MLS team would work here, potentially. Although TD Ameritrade would be an awkward venue for it to be honest. There would have to be an interesting new configuration for seating that I just don't see working very well.
Seating wouldn't need to be changed.  The sight lines wouldn't be ideal, but wouldn't be terrible.  DC's MLS team plays at RFK a baseball stadium.
almighty_tuna
City Council

Post by almighty_tuna »

MadMartin8 wrote:The NHL would require probably another 1,000 seat expansion for the CLink to make it reach ~18,000 for Hockey and I don't know where they'd put that. Maybe slightly underneath the new addition, and then expanding the seating at the top (there is a gap between the supports and the weird metallic colored walls at the top of the uppermost bowl)?  Most NHL arenas are around 17,800 to 19,000 so we'd want to be within that range.
Since we're on the path of supposition, what they would likely do is install the temporary seating in the Budweiser area like they did for the NCAA rounds 2 & 3 this spring. There's no more room for permanent expansion in there.
Linkin5
County Board

Post by Linkin5 »

almighty_tuna wrote:
MadMartin8 wrote:The NHL would require probably another 1,000 seat expansion for the CLink to make it reach ~18,000 for Hockey and I don't know where they'd put that. Maybe slightly underneath the new addition, and then expanding the seating at the top (there is a gap between the supports and the weird metallic colored walls at the top of the uppermost bowl)?  Most NHL arenas are around 17,800 to 19,000 so we'd want to be within that range.
Since we're on the path of supposition, what they would likely do is install the temporary seating in the Budweiser area like they did for the NCAA rounds 2 & 3 this spring. There's no more room for permanent expansion in there.
Actually I think they could extend the newer second tier edition.  I still don't understand when they did the expansion they went on the modest side.
MadMartin8
Planning Board

Post by MadMartin8 »

Linkin5 wrote:
almighty_tuna wrote:
Actually I think they could extend the newer second tier edition.  I still don't understand when they did the expansion they went on the modest side.
Bingo. I think what is represented by temporary seating can be made into permanent seating, there looks to be enough room. I really don't understand why they didn't continue with suites and seats in that area when expanding.

Oh well.
mrsticka
Parks & Recreation

Post by mrsticka »

If Green Bay can attract a pro-sports team surely Omaha can.  :yes:
Swift
Planning Board

Post by Swift »

derog wrote: When 22 NBA teams lose money, I don't see enough support or money for a pro basketball team to be able to draw the crowds it would need to get into the black.
I have to say, I don't understand your argument here. If 22 NBA teams lose money, then isn't that an argument saying Omaha could have an NBA team, since clearly making money is not a requirement. Or am I missing your point?

But yeah, I say the most successful Omaha pro team would be an NFL team. In addition to being primarily a football town/state, there are fewer games per year and almost all are on a Sunday.
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

Swift wrote:But yeah, I say the most successful Omaha pro team would be an NFL team. In addition to being primarily a football town/state, there are fewer games per year and almost all are on a Sunday.
Not that it would ever happen, but I would be curious to see peoples reactions if the city said we get an NFL team if we build a $750 Million dollar stadium.
koberaptor
Home Owners Association

Post by koberaptor »

If we ever get an nfl team, the stadium that will be built has to be the best in the NFL. can't settle for average when you already have a small, unknown city....
thenewguy
County Board

Post by thenewguy »

1.  if we got a stadium, it wouldnt be the biggest or best.  takes a lot of bank roll and you still have to pay salaries, etc
2.  green bay did it a long time ago.  nfl teams didnt start out as huge franchises back then; the fact they have retained a team is unique to major sports (in terms of host city size)
3.  omaha may be a lot of things.  being 'unknown' isnt one of them.
4.  omaha will never play host to an nfl team.
Go Cubs Go
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

thenewguy wrote:1.  if we got a stadium, it wouldnt be the biggest or best.  takes a lot of bank roll and you still have to pay salaries, etc
2.  green bay did it a long time ago.  nfl teams didnt start out as huge franchises back then; the fact they have retained a team is unique to major sports (in terms of host city size)
3.  omaha may be a lot of things.  being 'unknown' isnt one of them.
4.  omaha will never play host to an nfl team.
Yep, I was just playing advocate.
skinzfan23
City Council

Re: Professional Sports team

Post by skinzfan23 »

Los Angeles is most desirable market for sports expansion, says ACBJ study; Houston, Las Vegas and Montreal also show promise

71. Omaha
CAPACITY SCORES
Major League Baseball: 42
National Football League: 92
National Basketball Association: 98
National Hockey League: 88
Major League Soccer: 100

Note: Capacity scores are calculated by American City Business Journals. A score of 100 indicates that a market's income base is sufficient to support a new team in a specific league. A score between 70 and 99 is a sign of a borderline income base, meaning that a market may or may not be able to support a franchise, depending on the team's ability to reach fans beyond the market's boundaries. A score below 70 indicates that an income base is insufficient for a given sport. (A score is not calculated if a market already has a team in a given sport.)
Greg S
City Council

Post by Greg S »

I found it interesting that one of the considerations was whether or not the market was home to power 5 teams. Obviously Lincoln has one but Omaha doesn't. The new Big East does not make this cut.

Greg
MadMartin8
Planning Board

Post by MadMartin8 »

Greg S wrote:I found it interesting that one of the considerations was whether or not the market was home to power 5 teams. Obviously Lincoln has one but Omaha doesn't. The new Big East does not make this cut.

Greg

Being as they Power "5", it would = ACC, Big 10(+4), Big 12(-2), SEC, PAC 12

Football is king, basketball is secondary.

I'm also curious how NHL is ranked lower for us than NBA.
No posts exist for this topic
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

MadMartin8 wrote:I'm also curious how NHL is ranked lower for us than NBA.
Maybe because Omaha did have an NBA team at one time?
MadMartin8
Planning Board

Post by MadMartin8 »

Coyote wrote:
Still though, thinking of the huge backing of Hockey here in Omaha.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

If only we were given a couple more years to prove this with the Aksarben Knights...
bmt
Home Owners Association

Post by bmt »

MadMartin8 wrote:
Coyote wrote:
The article is looking at how much money the city needs to generate in total personal income (TPI) in order to support a franchise. In their estimates, a NHL franchise is slightly more costly to support than an NBA franchise. So really it ignores many other factors, one of which would be the popularity of each sport in a city.
MadMartin8
Planning Board

Post by MadMartin8 »

bmt wrote:
MadMartin8 wrote:
Coyote wrote:
The article is looking at how much money the city needs to generate in total personal income (TPI) in order to support a franchise. In their estimates, a NHL franchise is slightly more costly to support than an NBA franchise. So really it ignores many other factors, one of which would be the popularity of each sport in a city.

Got it. Thanks
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Las Vegas gets an NHL team
Omaha Cowboy
The Don

Post by Omaha Cowboy »

Coyote wrote:Las Vegas gets an NHL team
Unfortunately, this is probably a measuring stick to show just how far away Omaha is to being "awarded" any major league sports franchise..

The business community, for whatever reason, has never really been willing to pony up..and the city is focusing on Omaha being an "event city".. Which in reality, is a good thing as it relates being known nationally for something sports related...

Ciao..LiO...Peace
Go Cowboys!