Professional Sports team

Metro area and region sports discussion

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

Dundeemaha
Human Relations

Re: Professional Sports team

Post by Dundeemaha »

I highly doubt Omaha gets an NBA team, a D-League team sure. Denver, Milwaukee, and Minnesota are all without a D-League affiliate and would make a natural choice as would KC or STL if they get a NBA team in expansion.
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

skinzfan23 wrote:Here is another mention of Omaha for a professional team. I am still not sure the NBA would work here.

With NBA expansion rumored, a look at the pros, cons and prospective cities
I've heard that once the CBA is finished, the expansion bidding could be announced as soon as December or as late as the All-Star Game in February. There are going to be numerous other cities competing with Seattle to get the expansion franchises as well. I do not know if there is just going to be one slot or two. Other cities I've heard that are going to be making a play for expansion are Louisville (they have all their affairs in order and ready to go), Pittsburgh, Omaha, Las Vegas, Vancouver, BC, and Mexico City. Kansas City and St. Louis have been brought up as well, but I can't confirm the validity of their interest.
Omaha: This is... a little weird. It's the 74th biggest market, and its fan makeup does not suggest it would go all out for an NBA product. I'd say I can't imagine trying to sell an NBA free agent on Omaha, but I would have said the same thing about OKC. It hosts large sporting events (like the College World Series), but it seems like a weird fit for an NBA team. CenturyLink Center has just under 19,000 seats and was built in 2003. It's a little long in the tooth but would do for the short-term.

...... Sure...... Build another area. The one the CLK replaced is just coming down now. And since when is 13 years long in the tooth.
For the record  NEBUGEATER does not equal BUGEATER    !!!!!!!
MadMartin8
Planning Board

Post by MadMartin8 »

bigredmed wrote:
MadMartin8 wrote:
iamjacobm wrote:I have said it before, but we could have supported an MLS franchise if we were in on the early wave of expansion. Now there is way too much competition for the league in larger cities. Imagine if wealthy Omaha business person started a team in 2002. Would be a great rivalry with KC and could of had a soccer specific stadium built in North Downtown that is used more regularly than TDAP.

Now that we are too late the best pro franchise we could probably hope for is starting a USL franchise and working our way up to the NASL. Play at Morrison, average 6K and maybe have regional rivalries with the likes of Tulsa, OKC and maybe DSM if they got a team too.
Hmm, I do agree with this for the most part. I'd be curious to see how Omaha would do with an NASL though from the start. That would tell A LOT about anything MLS.
Sounds like NASL is the B or C league. Can't speak for others, but I am tired of paying good money to watch has-beens and never will be's play other barely solvent teams.

There is too much to do in this town to settle. College may be a step or three below this, but they don't pack up and leave when their latest attempt to violate the taxpayers is rejected.

Pass.
Soccer is a slight bit different than your typical A, AA, AAA system; there are teams (franchises) that started in the NASL and moved to the MLS.
No posts exist for this topic
Omaha Cowboy
The Don

Post by Omaha Cowboy »

skinzfan23 wrote:Here is another mention of Omaha for a professional team. I am still not sure the NBA would work here.

With NBA expansion rumored, a look at the pros, cons and prospective cities
I've heard that once the CBA is finished, the expansion bidding could be announced as soon as December or as late as the All-Star Game in February. There are going to be numerous other cities competing with Seattle to get the expansion franchises as well. I do not know if there is just going to be one slot or two. Other cities I've heard that are going to be making a play for expansion are Louisville (they have all their affairs in order and ready to go), Pittsburgh, Omaha, Las Vegas, Vancouver, BC, and Mexico City. Kansas City and St. Louis have been brought up as well, but I can't confirm the validity of their interest.
Omaha: This is... a little weird. It's the 74th biggest market, and its fan makeup does not suggest it would go all out for an NBA product. I'd say I can't imagine trying to sell an NBA free agent on Omaha, but I would have said the same thing about OKC. It hosts large sporting events (like the College World Series), but it seems like a weird fit for an NBA team. CenturyLink Center has just under 19,000 seats and was built in 2003. It's a little long in the tooth but would do for the short-term.
The problem with "the 74th biggest market" is that Nielsen screws Omaha in the TV market rankings. I've said it many times on the forum, if Lincoln is added in (as it should be) then Omaha shoots up to the 45th biggest market.. and what the he$$ does he mean about the fan make up...that's a BS comment. I believe Omaha could support the NBA.. but it just requires, as always, a significant local business commitment...

Ciao..LiO...Peace
Go Cowboys!
bigredmed
Parks & Recreation

Post by bigredmed »

Our city has a rep of not supporting home games on Tuesdays. We live here to raise kids and do our jobs. Once or twice, you could let the kids stay up late and mess with school. Not weekly.

We also have a rep for being intolerant of losers and of losing face. Most of us old enough to remember the 70's, remember the constant stream of cuts from TV regarding Omaha. So we get a team and they go on a 4 game run. You get excited, and everyone will look at the league and blow it off due to the "level of play" in our league.

People are less interested in several hundred dollars on STH fees and more than likely, reticent to drop that kind of cash on a ST.
Omaha Cowboy
The Don

Post by Omaha Cowboy »

bigredmed wrote:Our city has a rep of not supporting home games on Tuesdays. We live here to raise kids and do our jobs. Once or twice, you could let the kids stay up late and mess with school. Not weekly.

We also have a rep for being intolerant of losers and of losing face. Most of us old enough to remember the 70's, remember the constant stream of cuts from TV regarding Omaha. So we get a team and they go on a 4 game run. You get excited, and everyone will look at the league and blow it off due to the "level of play" in our league.

People are less interested in several hundred dollars on STH fees and more than likely, reticent to drop that kind of cash on a ST.
Huh?..

I have no idea of what you're talking about here.. and I remember the 70's...

Ciao..LiO...Peace
Go Cowboys!
bigredmed
Parks & Recreation

Post by bigredmed »

Omaha Cowboy wrote:
bigredmed wrote:Our city has a rep of not supporting home games on Tuesdays. We live here to raise kids and do our jobs. Once or twice, you could let the kids stay up late and mess with school. Not weekly.

Huh?..

Ciao..LiO...Peace
Every time a sitcom needed a dumb blonde, they were from Nebraska. When the KC Omaha Kings out their schedule together, the majority of the weekend games were in KC and we got the Tuesday and Thursday games. The sports media spun it as we weren't a good pro sports town, not that people didn't want to disrupt a school night.
Omaha Cowboy
The Don

Post by Omaha Cowboy »

bigredmed wrote:
Omaha Cowboy wrote:

Huh?..

Ciao..LiO...Peace
Every time a sitcom needed a dumb blonde, they were from Nebraska. When the KC Omaha Kings out their schedule together, the majority of the weekend games were in KC and we got the Tuesday and Thursday games. The sports media spun it as we weren't a good pro sports town, not that people didn't want to disrupt a school night.
Ahhh got 'cha. I agree with your assessment. And because my Uncle had season tickets, I went to pretty much all the Kings games when they played in Omaha in the 70's..ALL of them. Wouldn't trade those memories for anything..

And I'd love to see the NBA back in the Big O :thumb: ...

Ciao..LiO...Peace
Go Cowboys!
GRANDPASMUCKER
Human Relations

Post by GRANDPASMUCKER »

With NBA teams selling for over a billion dollars each these days we are left with only a handful of people who could afford one. Until one of those billionaires lets us know they are interested in a NBA team we are more then likely S.O.L.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

image.jpeg
image.jpeg (81.06 KiB) Viewed 4757 times
bigredmed
Parks & Recreation

Post by bigredmed »

Too many people have too many other things to do to think the $400 for seats for the family for a single game are just the cost of doing business.

Think pro sports are pretty doubtful for Omaha.
choke
Human Relations

Post by choke »

Per Omaha-World Herald, Tom Shatel (Omaha-World Herald columnist) regarding a professional sports in Omaha:
“I can’t imagine it,” Dixon said. “The CenturyLink Center has enough capacity. But we don’t have enough suites. And we don’t have the video production. There’s a big difference between the video production for big-time college basketball and NBA.

“We don’t have a big enough TV market. And we wouldn’t have the sponsorships that you need. The city would also have to subsidize this building, because they (NBA team) take about everything (revenues).”

In the latest rankings, OKC is 45th on media markets while Omaha is 76th. In population, OKC ranks 41st with about 1.35 million in the metro area, while Omaha is listed 59th at 915,000. You could possibly combine Lincoln with Omaha when you’re talking about a radius for fans.
MadMartin8
Planning Board

Post by MadMartin8 »

choke wrote:Per Omaha-World Herald, Tom Shatel (Omaha-World Herald columnist) regarding a professional sports in Omaha:
“I can’t imagine it,” Dixon said. “The CenturyLink Center has enough capacity. But we don’t have enough suites. And we don’t have the video production. There’s a big difference between the video production for big-time college basketball and NBA.

“We don’t have a big enough TV market. And we wouldn’t have the sponsorships that you need. The city would also have to subsidize this building, because they (NBA team) take about everything (revenues).”

In the latest rankings, OKC is 45th on media markets while Omaha is 76th. In population, OKC ranks 41st with about 1.35 million in the metro area, while Omaha is listed 59th at 915,000. You could possibly combine Lincoln with Omaha when you’re talking about a radius for fans.
Kind of curious how many suites are "needed" for a professional team. As for video production, that's not that huge of a hurdle.
Greg S
City Council

Post by Greg S »

I think he is spot on with regards to suites. Does CLC have either 24 or 32? Based on other arenas I've been to that have NHL/NBA tenants, I think CLC has only about half the number needed/desired. Also seems to be low on club seats in comparison too.

Greg
Coyote
City Council

Re: Mike Riley - Nebraska's Head Football

Post by Coyote »

AAF trivia:

Besides Mike Riley coaching at San Antonio, Keith Williams is his WR Coach.

Other coaches are:
Rick Neuheisel (Arizona Hotshots),
Steve Spurrier (Orlando Apollos),
Dennis Erickson (Salt Lake Stallions),
Mike Martz (San Diego Fleet),
Mike Singletary (Memphis Express).

Huskers:
Salt Lake Stallions: Josh Banderas, Kenny Bell, Terrell Newby, De'Mornay Pierson-El
Arizona Hotshots: Kieron Williams
San Antonio Commanders: Alonzo Moore, Aaron Green

In the Front office:
Charlie Ebersol, son of legendary former NBC television executive Dick Ebersol, is CEO.
Co-founder Bill Polian,
former Titans and Rams coach Jeff Fisher,
former Steelers wide receiver Hines Ward and safety Troy Polamalu.
Omaha Cowboy
The Don

Post by Omaha Cowboy »

Omaha should have had a team in this league..

Opportunity lost...

Ciao..LiO...Peace
Go Cowboys!
jessep28
Planning Board

Post by jessep28 »

An outdoor football league with a schedule that starts in February doesn't favor Northern states in terms of team placement.
Verbum Domini Manet in Aeternum
Omaha Cowboy
The Don

Post by Omaha Cowboy »

jessep28 wrote: Sun Feb 10, 2019 11:01 pm An outdoor football league with a schedule that starts in February doesn't favor Northern states in terms of team placement.
I completely disagree. Using that sentiment, the AFL/NFL would never placed the Chiefs in KC playing in January.. Or the Broncos playing in Denver for that matter. No offense- But it’s a hogwash argument..

Omaha is a football city and this league would have done very well placing a team in Omaha. H e l l, they’re playing in NORTHERN Salt Lake City for goodness sakes..

Omaha has a perfect facility and a rabid football fan base.. Draft a couple of former Huskers and the team would draw at least 10,000 plus at TD Ameritrade..

Again, opportunity lost...

Ciao..LiO...Peace
Go Cowboys!
Busguy2010
County Board

Post by Busguy2010 »

Omaha Cowboy wrote: Sun Feb 10, 2019 11:34 pm
jessep28 wrote: Sun Feb 10, 2019 11:01 pm An outdoor football league with a schedule that starts in February doesn't favor Northern states in terms of team placement.
I completely disagree. Using that sentiment, the AFL/NFL would never placed the Chiefs in KC playing in January.. Or the Broncos playing in Denver for that matter. No offense- But it’s a hogwash argument..

Omaha is a football city and this league would have done very well placing a team in Omaha. H e l l, they’re playing in NORTHERN Salt Lake City for goodness sakes..

Omaha has a perfect facility and a rabid football fan base.. Draft a couple of former Huskers and the team would draw at least 10,000 plus at TD Ameritrade..

Again, opportunity lost...

Ciao..LiO...Peace
I don't think its hogwash... Okay, so you have plenty of northern NFL teams that play outside. Your average NFL team plays only one game in the VERY beginning of January, so the likelihood of playing in bitter cold with inches of snow are relatively low. And, if those conditions do happen, the facilities are equipped to deal with it (KC's heated field, other teams' snow removal machines and staff).

Say Omaha did have a team at TD Ameritrade and they had a game yesterday. Would the facility be equipped to remove the snow from the field without tearing it up? Would people have left their houses in the weather we had yesterday? How logical would it be to run a bi-weekly event when there is a near certainty that most of the season would be spent dealing with this weather? I'm just saying its not hogwash.

In the NFL, 15 of your 16 games wouldn't be affected. In the AAF, 3 of your 4 home games might end up being snow bowls. Does that mean it wouldn't work? I doubt it. But I'm sure with the majority of AAF teams being warm-weather, I would bet the AAF is just taking the ease-in route. I mean, how many spring leagues have failed? Why make it harder by fighting weather. IF this thing stays afloat more than three years, I certainly could see an Omaha team happening. It would be really cool to see "fringe NFL talent" with some local heroes mixed in.

It would be such a cool prospect to have a smaller-market-league-season to run from the weekend after the Super Bowl all the way up to NFL organized team activities. So that would be February through June-July. They could probably arrange for cold weather teams to have road games to start the season, but those late May and June games could be brutal. Fun thought.
Omaha Cowboy
The Don

Post by Omaha Cowboy »

Maybe “hogwash” is a bit harsh.. But it’s still entirely feasible for Omaha to land a team such as this. We have a facility with nothing (basically) booked during their season run either..

I think Onaha and this league would be a good fit...

Ciao..LiO...Peace
Go Cowboys!
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Mike'l said on 590 today that this new league refused to play in Baseball Stadiums.
Busguy2010
County Board

Post by Busguy2010 »

Brad wrote: Mon Feb 11, 2019 2:20 pm
Mike'l said on 590 today that this new league refused to play in Baseball Stadiums.
Well there's that! I wonder though... If this league actually gets up and running, will "minor league football stadiums" be a thing in the future?
Padre
Human Relations

Post by Padre »

Busguy2010 wrote: Mon Feb 11, 2019 2:45 pm
Well there's that! I wonder though... If this league actually gets up and running, will "minor league football stadiums" be a thing in the future?
I would just imagine they would use the soccer stadiums they are building in various places. Would be about the right size.
Omaha Cowboy
The Don

Post by Omaha Cowboy »

Well, if that’s true, opportunity lost all around then..

It’s not like TD Ameritrade Park is an old, rusted out stadium like Rosenblatt was back in 2010 when the Nighthawks played there. TD is a state of the art ball park that converts quite nicely to football. That this league would refuse to play football in a baseball stadium seems a bit short sighted to me. Heck, it’s been good enough for the NFL Raiders for many years, lol..

Oh well, at least we’re still talking football in February...

Ciao..LiO...Peace
Go Cowboys!
MadMartin8
Planning Board

Post by MadMartin8 »

Padre wrote: Mon Feb 11, 2019 3:33 pm
Busguy2010 wrote: Mon Feb 11, 2019 2:45 pm
I would just imagine they would use the soccer stadiums they are building in various places. Would be about the right size.
That's what I was thinking. Or, if they could swing it, continue college football stadiums. TD Ameritrade isn't the venue for this unfortunately.
nebugeater
City Council

Re: Professional Sports Team

Post by nebugeater »

Omaha Cowboy wrote: Mon Feb 11, 2019 2:13 pm Maybe “hogwash” is a bit harsh.. But it’s still entirely feasible for Omaha to land a team such as this. We have a facility with nothing (basically) booked during their season run either..

I think Onaha and this league would be a good fit...

Ciao..LiO...Peace
On thing that needs to be factored into TDA that may influence this is that the football season would end much closer to the baseball season and the CWS and they will not put at risk the field not being ready in top shape for baseball
For the record  NEBUGEATER does not equal BUGEATER    !!!!!!!
Padre
Human Relations

Post by Padre »

Well how about this. If the minor league football shows itself to be sustainable, what about building a soccer/football stadium? It could have an AAF team, and a USL soccer team. Say about 15 to 20 thousand seats. Didn’t the owner of the Stormchasers want to bring pro soccer here? This could be part of that.
Omaha Cowboy
The Don

Post by Omaha Cowboy »

Padre wrote: Mon Feb 11, 2019 10:13 pm Well how about this. If the minor league football shows itself to be sustainable, what about building a soccer/football stadium? It could have an AAF team, and a USL soccer team. Say about 15 to 20 thousand seats. Didn’t the owner of the Stormchasers want to bring pro soccer here? This could be part of that.
Well, that’s certainly a heck of an idea..

If those teams could be secured for Omaha, I’d support this option...

Ciao..LiO...Peace
Go Cowboys!
Greg S
City Council

Post by Greg S »

Omaha Cowboy wrote: Mon Feb 11, 2019 10:50 pm
Padre wrote: Mon Feb 11, 2019 10:13 pm Well how about this. If the minor league football shows itself to be sustainable, what about building a soccer/football stadium? It could have an AAF team, and a USL soccer team. Say about 15 to 20 thousand seats. Didn’t the owner of the Stormchasers want to bring pro soccer here? This could be part of that.
Well, that’s certainly a heck of an idea..

If those teams could be secured for Omaha, I’d support this option...

Ciao..LiO...Peace

Down the road that could be an option if this league shows any lasting power. Minor league football has always failed. I do think we'd have to build a stadium to house a spring football league team. MECA and the NCAA have been pretty clear about not having something like that at TD before the CWS.

Greg
Greg S
City Council

Post by Greg S »

The AAF made it one week before they had money issues. It's just hard to see one of these lasting. They are definite money pits.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/2 ... 913018002/

Greg
Busguy2010
County Board

Post by Busguy2010 »

Just watched Mike Riley's team in the AAF. Gave me flashbacks :lol: The commentators were scratching their heads the entire 4th quarter.
Erik
Parks & Recreation

Post by Erik »

Professional sports teams screw the cities they are in. This has changed my mind as to whether I or not I wished we had a team.

Not worth it, ever. Im more than satisfied with our college presence.
bigredmed1
Parks & Recreation

Post by bigredmed1 »

Erik wrote: Sun Feb 24, 2019 9:44 pm Professional sports teams screw the cities they are in. This has changed my mind as to whether I or not I wished we had a team.

Once they show up, it’s tax incentives to come, taxpayer funded stadium to stay. They get to keep all the revenue, so when the stadium needs some repair, there is no reserve to cover it, so back to the taxpayers who now in so deep, they have to cough up, or watch some other city eat their lunch.

Pro sports are fun, but not that much fun. If they came here on their nickel, I would consider buying tickets, but there are a lot of things that Omaha should put higher on the priority list.
Erik
Parks & Recreation

Post by Erik »

bigredmed1 wrote: Mon Feb 25, 2019 9:16 pm
Erik wrote: Sun Feb 24, 2019 9:44 pm Professional sports teams screw the cities they are in. This has changed my mind as to whether I or not I wished we had a team.

Once they show up, it’s tax incentives to come, taxpayer funded stadium to stay. They get to keep all the revenue, so when the stadium needs some repair, there is no reserve to cover it, so back to the taxpayers who now in so deep, they have to cough up, or watch some other city eat their lunch.

Pro sports are fun, but not that much fun. If they came here on their nickel, I would consider buying tickets, but there are a lot of things that Omaha should put higher on the priority list.
Completely agree. Cities pay billions to rent a team for a few years. Total scam.

Would rather like to see that money pay to help the poor and health insuranceless..
Louie
County Board

Post by Louie »

Agreed
Omaha Cowboy
The Don

Post by Omaha Cowboy »

Busguy2010 wrote: Sun Feb 24, 2019 9:33 pm Just watched Mike Riley's team in the AAF. Gave me flashbacks :lol: The commentators were scratching their heads the entire 4th quarter.
But he’s still a nice guy though :lol: ...

Ciao..LiO...Peace
Go Cowboys!
Uffda
County Board

Post by Uffda »

Just saw this - Mike Riley –Head Coach - USFL New Jersey Generals

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2 ... umlin/amp/
We are the people our parents warned us about.

Jimmy Buffett
Omaha Cowboy
The Don

Post by Omaha Cowboy »

Uffda wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 4:54 pm Just saw this - Mike Riley –Head Coach - USFL New Jersey Generals

Interesting landing spot for Riley..

Overall, he fared better in his 3 years as HC at NU than the tenure of Scott Frost thus far.. 3 years ago, I never thought I’d say this…

Ciao..LiO…Peace
Go Cowboys!
Padre
Human Relations

Post by Padre »

Bart Andrus, the coach of the Philadelphia Stars, also had a short run here, as an offensive coordinator, then last head coach of the Omaha Nighthawks.
Greg S
City Council

Post by Greg S »

Omaha Cowboy wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 6:35 pm
Uffda wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 4:54 pm Just saw this - Mike Riley –Head Coach - USFL New Jersey Generals

Interesting landing spot for Riley..

Overall, he fared better in his 3 years as HC at NU than the tenure of Scott Frost thus far.. 3 years ago, I never thought I’d say this…

Ciao..LiO…Peace

I wouldn't either, though I do think Pelini left a much better team for Riley, than Riley did for Frost.

Greg