7 Eleven

General discussion on all things Omaha.

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

nebugeater
City Council

7 Eleven

Post by nebugeater »

So I saw a mention elsewhere that today was the coompany birthday and they were giving away free Slurpees today at some specific time. It go me thinking when did the chain disappear from Omaha and other locations in Nebraska. I am sure they were here but I have no idea when they went MIA
For the record  NEBUGEATER does not equal BUGEATER    !!!!!!!
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

I don't there are any left here.
Linkin5
County Board

Post by Linkin5 »

There haven't been 7 elevens in Omaha or Lincoln since the 90s.  Trust me I searched.
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

Linkin5 wrote:There haven't been 7 elevens in Omaha or Lincoln since the 90s.  Trust me I searched.
Damn that long?  I remember when the one close to where I grew up changed to Kum & Go when I was a kid, but I couldn't tell you the year.
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

I knew there were not any in the Omaha area.  I had searched to too see what was closest and it looks like KC area.  I am suprised that it has been sicne the 90's though.  IT seems like they were still open around here more recently than that.
For the record  NEBUGEATER does not equal BUGEATER    !!!!!!!
Linkin5
County Board

Post by Linkin5 »

It looks like in 1998 all 7 Elevens in this area were turned into Kum N Go's after researching a little.
ShawJ
Parks & Recreation

Post by ShawJ »

Weird. I could have sworn the 7-eleven on 52nd and Leavenworth was around longer than that. As they say, time flies.
bigredmed
Parks & Recreation

Post by bigredmed »

My wife pointed out the lack of Convenient shops that used to be everywhere.  Turns out that the cost of the franchise was so great that as soon as their contracts ended, the owners dumped them and either closed or went local.   If memory serves, this was a corporate deal.
guitarguy
Parks & Recreation

Post by guitarguy »

God you guys should see how packed out the 7 elevens on long island are never less than 5 people in at any time. But I do have to say that kum n go is a pretty fair comparison to 7 elevens except with worse coffee. Surprising the franchise wasn't popular back in the day and got dumped ..

-adam
FrontlineOmaha
Home Owners Association

Post by FrontlineOmaha »

nobody does slurpees like 7 Eleven...

Whenever I travel, I seek out 7 Elevens just to get slurpees!  I remember getting the monster ones as a kid.  You would fill your cup to the top, then put the dome lid on and the slurpee would grow to almost overflow the lid.
Linkin5
County Board

Post by Linkin5 »

FrontlineOmaha wrote:nobody does slurpees like 7 Eleven...

Whenever I travel, I seek out 7 Elevens just to get slurpees!  I remember getting the monster ones as a kid.  You would fill your cup to the top, then put the dome lid on and the slurpee would grow to almost overflow the lid.
I'm the same way, always stop when I see one.  The 7 eleven in Hawaii had sushi, Steamed pork buns, and other spam items where the hot dogs and nachos usually are.
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

Last 7 Eleven I was at was in Chicago near Loyola, lets just say I bought some "mixers."  http://goo.gl/maps/uWCK
l-dude
Home Owners Association

Post by l-dude »

Re:  iamjacobm's last post...7 elevens in Chicago (Rogers Park)...the first one on your list, Sheridan and Broadway (Loyola U) was only a few blocks from where I used to live.  All-in-all, a pretty great neighborhood!  What some (many?) on this forum may not know is that most urban Chicago 7 elevens don't sell gas, only convenience store stuff, ie: mostly junk food.
S33
County Board

Post by S33 »

[youtube][/youtube]
mrsticka
Parks & Recreation

Post by mrsticka »

Were there any 7-Elevens in Omaha that didn't have gas?
bigredmed
Parks & Recreation

Post by bigredmed »

mrsticka wrote:Were there any 7-Elevens in Omaha that didn't have gas?
There were a couple back when they started.  Most either closed or went for gas and groceries.
mrsticka
Parks & Recreation

Post by mrsticka »

I seem to remember seeing a 7-Eleven on 114th and Center a LONG time ago.  Was there ever one there?
jessep28
Planning Board

Post by jessep28 »

I think that Tobacco Hut on 84th St. north of Harrison may have been a former 7 Eleven location.
Verbum Domini Manet in Aeternum
ThatGuy
Human Relations

Post by ThatGuy »

mrsticka wrote:Were there any 7-Elevens in Omaha that didn't have gas?
99% sure the one on 78th and Dodge did not. Also, I don't seem to remember any pumps at the 83rd and Grover location, but I may be wrong on that one.
mrsticka
Parks & Recreation

Post by mrsticka »

It's too bad there never was a 7-Eleven on 108th between L and Q.  I'm sure if there was, it would've done really well in that area.
guitarguy
Parks & Recreation

Post by guitarguy »

Out here on the east coast its rare to find them with gas pumps. Maybe at one point in time they decided to go stand alone convenient store.

-adam