Next Skyscraper

General discussion on all things Omaha.

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

Omahanerd
New to the Neighborhood

Next Skyscraper

Post by Omahanerd »

How long down the road do you think it is until Omaha gets another skyscraper?
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

Depends what you consider a skyscraper.  We already have one announced if 14 floors and maybe 175 feet fit your criteria.  If you are thinking more like 300 feet or above I would like to think before the decade is out something more substantial could happen, really no way of telling right now though.

We are in a really different time than a few years ago though.  Back in the day when Pacific Life and Kiewit were rumored to build 700 footers and Wallstreet seemed like a lock.
Omababe
Planning Board

Re: Next Skyscraper

Post by Omababe »

Omahanerd wrote:How long down the road do you think it is until Omaha gets another skyscraper?
How long will it take to finally dig out of this recession? :(
S33
County Board

Post by S33 »

Anything substantial, or over 20 floors, will be in the form of Creighton student housing, condos (not as likely), or a hotel. Since none of the three are REALLY needed right now, I would say the next "skyscraper" is 2020 and beyond.

Add in the lousy economic outlook, and I just wouldn't even bother yourself with the issue.
Omababe
Planning Board

Post by Omababe »

I'm assuming that you don't consider that big new green thing I pass everyday a "skyscraper."
S33
County Board

Post by S33 »

lol - no, it's a 12 story building. And TD is probably the last Omaha corporation who could've built tall.
ShawJ
Parks & Recreation

Post by ShawJ »

Omahanerd wrote:How long down the road do you think it is until Omaha gets another skyscraper?
If you're looking for something that will have an impact on the skyline, I'd get comfortable. Our best shots were TDA and BCBS, but they built elsewhere.

But honestly, all of the smaller scale projects happening downtown right now can and probably will make more of an impact than a single skyscraper.
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

It would be cool if Creighton jumped on the trend of urban universities and built a vertical dorm, but there is a reason they are buying up every property they can get their hands on in North Downtown.  I expect more 4 floor dorms from them in the future.  Condo tower, ehh.  I think Omaha would be hard pressed to get a condo project the size of jLofts right now.  Really, I think the best chance is if the Double Tree rebuilds their hotel some where else(Civic land would be my hope) and they reopen 16th street.
MadMartin8
Planning Board

Post by MadMartin8 »

Wall Street Tower in 60-90 days.
nebport5
Planning Board

Post by nebport5 »

iamjacobm wrote:It would be cool if Creighton jumped on the trend of urban universities and built a vertical dorm, but there is a reason they are buying up every property they can get their hands on in North Downtown.  I expect more 4 floor dorms from them in the future.  Condo tower, ehh.  I think Omaha would be hard pressed to get a condo project the size of jLofts right now.  Really, I think the best chance is if the Double Tree rebuilds their hotel some where else(Civic land would be my hope) and they reopen 16th street.

Yes!
Bosco55David
Parks & Recreation

Post by Bosco55David »

iamjacobm wrote:It would be cool if Creighton jumped on the trend of urban universities and built a vertical dorm, but there is a reason they are buying up every property they can get their hands on in North Downtown.  I expect more 4 floor dorms from them in the future.  Condo tower, ehh.  I think Omaha would be hard pressed to get a condo project the size of jLofts right now.  Really, I think the best chance is if the Double Tree rebuilds their hotel some where else(Civic land would be my hope) and they reopen 16th street.
I would like to see that happen.
Erik
Parks & Recreation

Post by Erik »

I seem to remember a statement made by Peter Kiewit.  They were considering a new HQs, but decided to hold off so they could grow a bit more and build something major.  I know I am not basing that off of a sketchy memory, but off of a memory where a statement like that was made.  One sketchy part of that memory would have been something like a 14 story building at that time, but was being put off for a while.  this was around 2003, I believe.

I also remember where FNB has plans for a second highrise.  I am not just talking speculation.  It is a real plan.  Now I know the plans for Pacific Life have not quite gone through, or are even there any more.  But I do remember reading something where Pac Life was wanting a signature on a building.  This was not from the source that was giving some hints as to what they wanted, but from a different horse's mouth.

Also remember that while Omaha isn't a retirement destination that could boost our growth rates to exceed 20% or more, it is a magnet for educated business people (and youth).  In the last year we have gained nearly 11,000 new jobs.  that is about a 2.5% growth in employment in the last year.  Now i know we hear people say well that is mcdonalds, telemarketing .... But the truth is those type of positions should always represent around 40% of all new jobs.  It is impossible to grow a city without that high of a number of those types of businesses and positions.  We are also not getting an over-inflated number of those types of positions either.  We are getting a lot of very high-tech, financial, bio-science types of jobs moving in.  Our growth the last twenty years is enough for all of us to quit assuming it was a flake, or a fluke.  It is the real deal that we all should expect to continue if our city, state and chambers continue to work harder than they ever have before.

Now to break that 20% decade growth rate would be easy.  Do what some states have done.  Completely cut all income taxes from retirees, massively cut property taxes for them while providing a bit of more health services.  If we do that, we could very easily reach that 20-30% growth rate.  the fact that we grow as fast as we do now is quite amazing.  We lose a lot of retirees every year.  yet we grow in the top 20% of all US metro areas due to business and education growth alone.  Imagine what those numbers would be if we were to halt the retiree leak and even gain a positive migration in that regard!
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

I have run across some of those rumored or mentioned towers on the really old pages of eomaha.  If I remember correctly at one time there were rumors of Pac Lie and Kiewit buildings 700 footers downtown.  The FNB having plans for a second tower are correct I recall as well.  Their tower right now is called "One First National Center" isn't it?  That would leave room for a Two First National Center down the road.

To be fair though all of those rumblings were in a boom market, we aren't even close to the mid 2000's economy now.
S33
County Board

Post by S33 »

Bosco55David wrote:
Welcome back, stranger!
Bosco55David
Parks & Recreation

Post by Bosco55David »

S33 wrote:
Bosco55David wrote:
Welcome back, stranger!
Thanks buddy! I've been lurking, occasionally, but after school ended back in May I didn't even want to look at a computer for awhile. Looks like I've missed some new development around the city though.
S33
County Board

Post by S33 »

iamjacobm wrote:I have run across some of those rumored or mentioned towers on the really old pages of eomaha.  If I remember correctly at one time there were rumors of Pac Lie and Kiewit buildings 700 footers downtown.  The FNB having plans for a second tower are correct I recall as well.  Their tower right now is called "One First National Center" isn't it?  That would leave room for a Two First National Center down the road.

To be fair though all of those rumblings were in a boom market, we aren't even close to the mid 2000's economy now.
Heck, FNB was on the planning board since the 90's.
Garrett
County Board

Post by Garrett »

Project Photon gets my wondering... would this mysterious corporation build their HQ in Sarpy or downtown? I mean... thousands of employees... a lot of potential there.
OMA-->CHI-->NYC
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

Axel wrote:Project Photon gets my wondering... would this mysterious corporation build their HQ in Sarpy or downtown? I mean... thousands of employees... a lot of potential there.
Considering the article made note of the lot being 152 acres I think it would be in Sarpy.
Garrett
County Board

Post by Garrett »

iamjacobm wrote:
Axel wrote:Project Photon gets my wondering... would this mysterious corporation build their HQ in Sarpy or downtown? I mean... thousands of employees... a lot of potential there.
Considering the article made note of the lot being 152 acres I think it would be in Sarpy.
Let me live in my fantasy world!  :cry:
OMA-->CHI-->NYC
OmahaJaysCU
Planning Board

Post by OmahaJaysCU »

Erik wrote:I seem to remember a statement made by Peter Kiewit.  They were considering a new HQs, but decided to hold off so they could grow a bit more and build something major.  I know I am not basing that off of a sketchy memory, but off of a memory where a statement like that was made.  One sketchy part of that memory would have been something like a 14 story building at that time, but was being put off for a while.  this was around 2003, I believe.

I also remember where FNB has plans for a second highrise.  I am not just talking speculation.  It is a real plan.  Now I know the plans for Pacific Life have not quite gone through, or are even there any more.  But I do remember reading something where Pac Life was wanting a signature on a building.  This was not from the source that was giving some hints as to what they wanted, but from a different horse's mouth.

Also remember that while Omaha isn't a retirement destination that could boost our growth rates to exceed 20% or more, it is a magnet for educated business people (and youth).  In the last year we have gained nearly 11,000 new jobs.  that is about a 2.5% growth in employment in the last year.  Now i know we hear people say well that is mcdonalds, telemarketing .... But the truth is those type of positions should always represent around 40% of all new jobs.  It is impossible to grow a city without that high of a number of those types of businesses and positions.  We are also not getting an over-inflated number of those types of positions either.  We are getting a lot of very high-tech, financial, bio-science types of jobs moving in.  Our growth the last twenty years is enough for all of us to quit assuming it was a flake, or a fluke.  It is the real deal that we all should expect to continue if our city, state and chambers continue to work harder than they ever have before.

Now to break that 20% decade growth rate would be easy.  Do what some states have done.  Completely cut all income taxes from retirees, massively cut property taxes for them while providing a bit of more health services.  If we do that, we could very easily reach that 20-30% growth rate.  the fact that we grow as fast as we do now is quite amazing.  We lose a lot of retirees every year.  yet we grow in the top 20% of all US metro areas due to business and education growth alone.  Imagine what those numbers would be if we were to halt the retiree leak and even gain a positive migration in that regard!
They just expanded into a bunch of office space out behind Home Depot and such at the former Western Electric office building.  I could see it.
S33
County Board

Post by S33 »

Axel wrote: Let me live in my fantasy world!  :cry:
Considering the economic sh*tstorm looming in the very near future, anything tall being built downtown will definitely be fantasy. You, young fella, will live out your early adulthood seeing very little in the way of private infrastructure investment, so don't get your hopes up!  :)
Linkin5
County Board

Post by Linkin5 »

S33 wrote:
Axel wrote: Let me live in my fantasy world!  :cry:
Considering the economic sh*tstorm looming in the very near future, anything tall being built downtown will definitely be fantasy. You, young fella, will live out your early adulthood seeing very little in the way of private infrastructure investment, so don't get your hopes up!  :)
I hate it but you are probably right.
drsunu1994
New to the Neighborhood

Post by drsunu1994 »

Lanoha could be the next Skyscraper, if they plan 25 stories
Attachments
unnamed.jpg
unnamed.jpg (4.31 KiB) Viewed 5977 times
Midwestern
Home Owners Association

Post by Midwestern »

What lots does First National Bank own that are around their current skyscraper?

If they own that land on the southeast corner of 16th & Dodge, that would be the perfect place for their second tower.

I really hope it happens within the next 15 years. We really need to break out of the "two high-rise" style skyline. A third 450+ foot skyscraper, plus HDR, plus one of either Lanoha or Tetrad (I doubt they both get built) would really beef up the skyline.

It would certainly be nice to be able to add a 300+ foot all-residential tower in there as well within the next 15 years.
daveoma
Parks & Recreation

Post by daveoma »

Midwestern wrote:What lots does First National Bank own that are around their current skyscraper?

If they own that land on the southeast corner of 16th & Dodge, that would be the perfect place for their second tower.

I really hope it happens within the next 15 years. We really need to break out of the "two high-rise" style skyline. A third 450+ foot skyscraper, plus HDR, plus one of either Lanoha or Tetrad (I doubt they both get built) would really beef up the skyline.

It would certainly be nice to be able to add a 300+ foot all-residential tower in there as well within the next 15 years.
Agreed I would love to see a 300'+ residential high rise, but I think that makes more sense near little Italy between 10th and 13th or in the Park East neighborhood. That way, the towers would have a better view due to the elevation. Could you imagine the view from the 25th floor of a high rise at 12th & Pacific? You would see Fontanelle forest to the south, Methodist Hospital to the west, Council Bluffs to the east and Florence to the north.
RNcyanide
Planning Board

Post by RNcyanide »

The hills in that area would also mean it wouldn't need to be super tall to get those views.
When fortune smiles on something as violent and ugly as revenge, it seems proof like no other that not only does God exist, you're doing his will.

The Bride
NEDodger
Parks & Recreation

Post by NEDodger »

Personally, I think it would look odd to have it that far separated from the rest of the taller buildings downtown. We already have significant space between are two "high rise" sections in downtown and Midtown Crossing. My "dream locales" for a new skyscraper (not including the HDR, Lanoha and Tetrad lots) would be:

1.) If it's First National, the SE 16th and Dodge site that Midwestern mentioned would be pretty sick. Especially if Lanoha happens.
2.) North side of 21st and Farnam. Continue bridging the gap between downtown and midtown.
3.) SE corner of 10th and Capitol.
4.) NE corner of 19th and Howard.

Honorable Mention: If we can include tearing down previous properties, the State Office Building/Kiewit Center/RedBox takes first place.
Midwestern
Home Owners Association

Post by Midwestern »

I agree, I would much rather have any 300'+ towers close to our current cluster of towers.

As far as 400'+ office towers go, I agree that the State Building/Red Box lot would be a really good spot, but I think the north half of the downtown library lot would be even better. NE Corner of 19th & Howard is a very good idea too.

And as for residential towers, I think that the farthest away I'd like to see a 300' residential tower is the Omaha Police HQ lot. Or maybe the Chamber of Commerce lot.
PotatoeEatsFish
Human Relations

Post by PotatoeEatsFish »

Soon enough someone will build a tall condo tower. With the condo boom downtown it could happen any day now.
#SaveTheUglyGrainSilos2024
Garrett
County Board

Post by Garrett »

Personally, I think one in North Downtown would be a nice addition. Something on the Yard lot would have been great, but now I think something on the northeast part of Lot B would be nice as well, or one where UP's current childcare center is.
OMA-->CHI-->NYC
RNcyanide
Planning Board

Post by RNcyanide »

Garrett wrote:Personally, I think one in North Downtown would be a nice addition. Something on the Yard lot would have been great, but now I think something on the northeast part of Lot B would be nice as well, or one where UP's current childcare center is.
So long as it doesn't block the view of downtown from TDA. I guess that's something that is going to drive the development of what goes in there...
When fortune smiles on something as violent and ugly as revenge, it seems proof like no other that not only does God exist, you're doing his will.

The Bride
Linkin5
County Board

Post by Linkin5 »

Garrett wrote:Personally, I think one in North Downtown would be a nice addition. Something on the Yard lot would have been great, but now I think something on the northeast part of Lot B would be nice as well, or one where UP's current childcare center is.
Ideally, I would like skyscrapers to stay south of the interstate in the CBD, any where else would spread out the skyline which I'm not a huge fan of.
Garrett
County Board

Post by Garrett »

Linkin5 wrote:
Ideally, I would like skyscrapers to stay south of the interstate in the CBD, any where else would spread out the skyline which I'm not a huge fan of.
Well for this I was thinking something along the lines of that new tower Des Moines is getting, not a full on tower. Something in the 200-300 range.
OMA-->CHI-->NYC
Seth
Parks & Recreation

Post by Seth »

NEDodger wrote:Honorable Mention: If we can include tearing down previous properties, the State Office Building/Kiewit Center/RedBox takes first place.
Amen!

If only we could get the previous building back...
Midwestern
Home Owners Association

Post by Midwestern »

This situation sounds very familiar to a bank we have right here in Omaha.

http://urbanmilwaukee.com/pressrelease/ ... ing-tower/

How amazing would it be for FNB to do something like that on one of the lots they own?
RNcyanide
Planning Board

Post by RNcyanide »

*drools*

The Bride
skinzfan23
City Council

Post by skinzfan23 »

Is that 33-story building on top of the 32 story office building Northwestern Mutual was already building in Milwaukee?
Midwestern
Home Owners Association

Post by Midwestern »

skinzfan23 wrote:Is that 33-story building on top of the 32 story office building Northwestern Mutual was already building in Milwaukee?
Yes. Their office building is already under construction.
skinzfan23
City Council

Post by skinzfan23 »

Wow 33 and 32 story buildings at the same time. I am happy for Milwaukee. My cousins live there and I visit every few years. It is surprising that their tallest building is still the US Bank tower at 601 ft built in 1973, but I would surely take one of these new buildings for Omaha.
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

skinzfan23 wrote:Wow 33 and 32 story buildings at the same time. I am happy for Milwaukee. My cousins live there and I visit every few years. It is surprising that their tallest building is still the US Bank tower at 601 ft built in 1973, but I would surely take one of these new buildings for Omaha.
I think they have a new tallest in the works too.