Next Skyscraper

General discussion on all things Omaha.

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

Midwestern
Home Owners Association

Re: Next Skyscraper

Post by Midwestern »

This quote is from the Holland Greenspace thread, but I'm replying to it here so as to not take the Holland Greenspace thread off-topic:
Joe_Sovereign wrote:If the surface lot at 11th and Douglas is too critical to the Holland. Perhaps Lanoha and HDR can make a deal and build a 50 story residential/office tower on the old UP lot.
I really like the idea of different developers combining their forces to build a 40-50 story tower instead of two ~20 story towers. Our skyline will become basically a long east to west row of 15-20 story buildings + FNB & Woodmen if HDR, Lanoha, and Tetrad got built at their expected heights. It would be nice to have some more height variety in there.
RNcyanide
Planning Board

Post by RNcyanide »

If you look at the Wikipedia page on the tallest buildings in our city, you start to see how many buildings are the same height, and how many only pass each other by about 5 feet. The OWH, Landmark Center, Double Tree, and The Highline are all roughly within 5-10 feet over the other, and Elmwood Tower is only 3 feet taller than UP.
When fortune smiles on something as violent and ugly as revenge, it seems proof like no other that not only does God exist, you're doing his will.

The Bride
Louie
County Board

Post by Louie »

RNcyanide wrote:If you look at the Wikipedia page on the tallest buildings in our city, you start to see how many buildings are the same height, and how many only pass each other by about 5 feet. The OWH, Landmark Center, Double Tree, and The Highline are all roughly within 5-10 feet over the other, and Elmwood Tower is only 3 feet taller than UP.
Yeah the lack of height variety makes our skyline appear unassuming, when in reality the is a fair amount of height there.
NEDodger
Parks & Recreation

Post by NEDodger »

Midwestern wrote:This quote is from the Holland Greenspace thread, but I'm replying to it here so as to not take the Holland Greenspace thread off-topic:
Joe_Sovereign wrote:If the surface lot at 11th and Douglas is too critical to the Holland. Perhaps Lanoha and HDR can make a deal and build a 50 story residential/office tower on the old UP lot.
I really like the idea of different developers combining their forces to build a 40-50 story tower instead of two ~20 story towers. Our skyline will become basically a long east to west row of 15-20 story buildings + FNB & Woodmen if HDR, Lanoha, and Tetrad got built at their expected heights. It would be nice to have some more height variety in there.
That'd be amazing. Relatively close to FNB Tower too, so it would make sense. Include ground level retail, excess space for FNB, excess space for UP and residential.
Midwestern
Home Owners Association

Post by Midwestern »

Well there have always been rumors of FNB eventually building a second tower, so I'm hoping they eventually build a second 30-40 story tower of their own.

But I think it makes a ton of sense for a residential + office tower combination to happen. The lower floors obviously would be the office portion, and then have the condos/apartments be the top floors with the better views. But it seems like everyone lately is always wanting to have their "own" everything -- own buildings, own parking garage, etc.
Linkin5
County Board

Post by Linkin5 »

Midwestern wrote:Well there have always been rumors of FNB eventually building a second tower, so I'm hoping they eventually build a second 30-40 story tower of their own.

But I think it makes a ton of sense for a residential + office tower combination to happen. The lower floors obviously would be the office portion, and then have the condos/apartments be the top floors with the better views. But it seems like everyone lately is always wanting to have their "own" everything -- own buildings, own parking garage, etc.
I always have wondered the validity of this rumor, we have been hearing it for over a decade now.
Midwestern
Home Owners Association

Post by Midwestern »

Does anyone have any ideas/estimates on how many office workers FNB has in buildings other than its main tower?

A tall tower on the southeast corner of 16th & Dodge that included office space as well as residential would be perfect for improving the skyline, as well as a perfect location for additional space for FNB and UP. And it would be right next door to two hotels, parking garages, etc.

FNB owns that lot I believe.
RNcyanide
Planning Board

Post by RNcyanide »

Linkin5 wrote:
Midwestern wrote:Well there have always been rumors of FNB eventually building a second tower, so I'm hoping they eventually build a second 30-40 story tower of their own.

I always have wondered the validity of this rumor, we have been hearing it for over a decade now.
Same. I don't believe it. If they need more space, I would like to see maybe some other locations filled, such as CPP and 1200 Landmark.
When fortune smiles on something as violent and ugly as revenge, it seems proof like no other that not only does God exist, you're doing his will.

The Bride
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

FNB doesn't even use their whole towers. Between the two branded FNB there is over 70K SF available.