What would be the best looking sidewalks for downtown?

General discussion on all things Omaha.

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

koberaptor
Home Owners Association

What would be the best looking sidewalks for downtown?

Post by koberaptor »

Would you guys prefer if we had light gray tiles for sidewalks: http://goo.gl/maps/6Y6OK as opposed to the brick ones we currently use: Image. Just need an opinion
bigredmed
Parks & Recreation

Post by bigredmed »

Are there cost savings in the initial purchase, maintenance, or life expectancy?  The image you posted didn't look that great.  I don't hate the look, and would be supportive if the taxpayers come out ahead.  If things are a wash financially, I like brick better.
cdub
Parks & Recreation

Post by cdub »

The Brick is definitely more expensive to put in (correctly) and maintain.  I think that if you do the rest of the built environment correcly you dont need to call attention to the sidewalk and concrete is more than sufficient.  In some locations you might dress things up a bit.
S33
County Board

Post by S33 »

Brick just looks so much nicer
jessep28
Planning Board

Post by jessep28 »

You can do decorative stuff with concrete too.
Verbum Domini Manet in Aeternum
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

We saw a presentation on an interesting product last week.  Its more for parking areas than sidewalks.  However it was interesting because it was set in place like those sheets of tile where they are all connected.  Instead if installing it brick by brick, you installed a 5'X8' panel of blocks  http://www.pavedrain.com  (If you want a good laugh, go to the media page and check out the patten the snow plow driver uses when clearing out a lot).

As far as the tile, I never think exterior tile looks good. It might be ok when its new, but it usually looks bad rather quickly.  Tile seems to show dirt well and also seems to look dated really fast.  Brick and Block looks more timeless.
l-dude
Home Owners Association

Post by l-dude »

Brad...I'm guessing that you work for/at Ferris Engineering?  (also it's a small chance it's Prochaska & Assoc.)  I knew and worked w/several of both companies  Principles over the last 40 years.  I'm not bragging, as I am not now employed in this industry.  I somewhat know that neighborhood at 114th to 120th and Chicago/Dodge Circle.  (Just guessed that your viewpoint of the TD Ameritrade campus {from "work"} put you in this neighborhood, as well as other work references).  I'm not claiming any "in-the-know" situation (you may have already acknowledged this...), as I'm too far removed from the industry.  Anyway, back to our regularly scheduled programming.
GetUrban
Planning Board

Post by GetUrban »

Good guess I-Dude....but according to the "Celebrations" section in last Sunday's Omaha World Herald,  he is employed as an engineering tech and photographer at E&A Consulting Group in Omaha. Congrats Brad! ....just happened to see that announcement on Sunday.
He said "They are some big, ugly red brick buildings"
...and then they were gone.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Haha, I am amazed at how many people read that!
GetUrban
Planning Board

Re: What would be the best looking sidewalks for downtown?

Post by GetUrban »

koberaptor wrote:Would you guys prefer if we had light gray tiles for sidewalks: http://goo.gl/maps/6Y6OK as opposed to the brick ones we currently use: Image. Just need an opinion
Chances are that view is showing some sort of concrete unit paver or stamped-in-place concrete (not thin tile although Raleigh is a warm climate). I don't mind the look as long as it offers some contrast with the street paving. Brick is more timeless, but has some disadvantages too, such as it can be more slippery in icy weather, and it is often not installed correctly and maintained poorly.

I like the old sidewalks you see in some of the bigger cities which are some sort of textured terrazo or granite, sometimes with shiny sparkly specs of aggregate, ....very expensive no doubt.
He said "They are some big, ugly red brick buildings"
...and then they were gone.
omadweller
Home Owners Association

Post by omadweller »

I like brick more, but would go the cost-effective route.  Maybe keep brick in the heart of the Old Market, but save in the rest of downtown and use the tiles or other alternative.
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

What I would most like to see to our sidewalks downtown are a lot more planters.  I could rattle off a dozen spots where a tree and some prairie grasses would do wonders.  Obviously those improvements will happen once the lot gets developed, pretty much everything with tif gets 20K to DID for streetscape improvements.

Some great recent examples are L14, they have great landscaping.  The Highline has their trees in, but I don't think they will have any grasses.  The Blatt has nice planters as well.

EDIT:  What they did by the police HQ is exactly what I am talking about.
Last edited by iamjacobm on Thu Dec 27, 2012 5:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

iamjacobm wrote:What I would most like to see to our sidewalks downtown are a lot more planters.  I could rattle off a dozen spots where a tree and some prairie grasses would do wonders.  Obviously those improvements will happen once the lot gets developed, pretty much everything with tif gets 20K to DID for streetscape improvements.

Some great recent examples are L14, they have great landscaping.  The Highline has their trees in, but I don't think they will have any grasses.  The Blatt has nice planters as well.
cdub would have a better answer, but I think those are the new standard sized planters you will see from now on.  I thought I saw somewhere its to reduce heat from all the solid surfaces.
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

Brad wrote:
iamjacobm wrote:What I would most like to see to our sidewalks downtown are a lot more planters.  I could rattle off a dozen spots where a tree and some prairie grasses would do wonders.  Obviously those improvements will happen once the lot gets developed, pretty much everything with tif gets 20K to DID for streetscape improvements.

cdub would have a better answer, but I think those are the new standard sized planters you will see from now on.  I thought I saw somewhere its to reduce heat from all the solid surfaces.
That is what I sort of figured they all look to be the same design.  Reducing heat makes sense and I wonder if it comes from the sewer separation work too.  If not I would love to see some urban rain gardens downtown too.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

iamjacobm wrote:That is what I sort of figured they all look to be the same design.  Reducing heat makes sense and I wonder if it comes from the sewer separation work too.  If not I would love to see some urban rain gardens downtown too.
I have seen Inlets that are part of the planter box, but I am not sure if Omaha has ever tried those for city use.  There are lots of examples of private rain gardens all over town.
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

The city did do that mega rain garden in Elmwood park.  There is one being built in Benson right now too.  I thought there was a rain garden app from the city?  Maybe I am wrong about that.  Carter Lake has a nice one by their library as well.  Now that I think about it I am pretty sure all of the depressions in the Yard parking lot are rain gardens.

What I am thinking would be pretty much near the crosswalks.  Something like these:
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

iamjacobm wrote:The city did do that mega rain garden in Elmwood park.  There is one being built in Benson right now too.  I thought there was a rain garden app from the city?  Maybe I am wrong about that.  Carter Lake has a nice one by their library as well.  Now that I think about it I am pretty sure all of the depressions in the Yard parking lot are rain gardens.
I forgot about Elmwood Park, but yes that one looks like its done.

The depressions at "The Yard" are, but those are private built by the developer.  (Who doesn't like them).

I like the look of the gardens in the islands behind the movie theater in Aksarben Village.

The Rain Garden at the Side Door Lounge is also nice looking.  (That owner doesn't like it either).

I have some photos I will post later.
cdub
Parks & Recreation

Post by cdub »

I think the new stuff in Florence has the inlets for stormwater.
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

They have been redoing Douglas Street downtown for what seems like forever, but they have a lot of rain garden inlets installed.  Should look good when they finish everything up.
MadMartin8
Planning Board

Post by MadMartin8 »

Use the skulls of our fallen enemies.
No posts exist for this topic
jessep28
Planning Board

Post by jessep28 »

Too bad that Omaha's mundane and won't use those sidewalks, lol.
Verbum Domini Manet in Aeternum