WC Franks

General discussion on all things Omaha.

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

BRoss
IT Director

WC Franks

Post by BRoss »

So at work we were talking about WC Franks. Some think it was on 108th and Maple and some think it was on 90th and Maple. Where was it actually?
bigredmed
Parks & Recreation

Re: WC Franks

Post by bigredmed »

HR Paperstacks wrote:So at work we were talking about WC Franks. Some think it was on 108th and Maple and some think it was on 90th and Maple. Where was it actually?
There was one a long time ago at 120th an Center. For a time, there were about 5-6 of them all over Omaha.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

We always went to the one on 90th and Maple. Back in the day there was a Target in that same strip center and WC Franks was on the far north end.

After WC Franks is because "The Fishbowl Pet Center".
jag42
Library Board

Post by jag42 »

I remember one in Dundee near 49th and Underwood (later became a Godfathers). Also, SW corner of 50th and Center (which at one time was also an Applause Video). I think it is now a Subway/Goodrich?
Greg S
City Council

Post by Greg S »

I would go to one at 72nd and Howard. Initially it was a WC Franks with a Pizza By The Slice next door. Then Don and Millies and now it's a tiny Office Depot.

I loved going to WC's. It was fun with all the game and they had great hot dogs. Used to go to one in downtown Lincoln too, right by Wendy's and the Nebraska Bookstore. I think Tuesdays were all you can eat nights.

Greg
bbinks
Parks & Recreation

Post by bbinks »

Greg S wrote:I would go to one at 72nd and Howard.  Initially it was a WC Franks with a Pizza By The Slice next door.  Then Don and Millies and now it's a tiny Office Depot.

I loved going to WC's.  It was fun with all the game and they had great hot dogs.  Used to go to one in downtown Lincoln too, right by Wendy's and the Nebraska Bookstore. I think Tuesdays were all you can eat nights.

Greg
Wasn't that new office depot once a Bojangles chicken back in the late 1980's? I last recall it as a schlotskeys.
BPHusker
Home Owners Association

Post by BPHusker »

bbinks wrote:
Greg S wrote:I would go to one at 72nd and Howard.  Initially it was a WC Franks with a Pizza By The Slice next door.  Then Don and Millies and now it's a tiny Office Depot.

I loved going to WC's.  It was fun with all the game and they had great hot dogs.  Used to go to one in downtown Lincoln too, right by Wendy's and the Nebraska Bookstore. I think Tuesdays were all you can eat nights.

Greg
Wasn't that new office depot once a Bojangles chicken back in the late 1980's?  I last recall it as a schlotskeys.
Wow, I didn't know there were more WC Franks other than the one on 120th and center.

There was a Bojangles in the mini office depot? I thought that was a southern chain.
Greg S
City Council

Post by Greg S »

bbinks wrote:

Greg
Wasn't that new office depot once a Bojangles chicken back in the late 1980's?  I last recall it as a schlotskeys.
Yes it was. WC's was first, then Bojangles, Don and Millies, Scholtskys, now Office Depot.

Greg
mickm
New to the Neighborhood

Post by mickm »

wasn't there one in la vista just north of bakers square/richman gordman?
joeglow
Planning Board

Post by joeglow »

BPHusker wrote:
bbinks wrote:

Greg
Wow, I didn't know there were more WC Franks other than the one on 120th and center.

There was a Bojangles in the mini office depot? I thought that was a southern chain.
The was a Bojangles on restaurant row on 108th and L back in the 80's.
SychoBC
Home Owners Association

Post by SychoBC »

W.C. Frank has opened in the Brandeis food court on 16th st. downtown. No pizza or arcade games.
DanielBeattyDA
New to the Neighborhood

Post by DanielBeattyDA »

You're all actually right. Brad described the one at 90th and Maple. The one at 108th and Maple was at the southern end of the Albertson's/Bag and Save strip. After WC Frank's it became a Spaghetti Western, then a Razzy's Deli after that. I'm not sure what's in there now.
TitosBuritoBarn
Planning Board

Post by TitosBuritoBarn »

SychoBC wrote:W.C. Frank has opened in the Brandeis food court on 16th st. downtown. No pizza or arcade games.
Then what is their purpose?
"Video game violence is not a new problem. Who could forget in the wake of SimCity how children everywhere took up urban planning." - Stephen Colbert
bbinks
Parks & Recreation

Post by bbinks »

There was some other pizza place on the North side of 93rd & Maple. Only went there once in the late 80's/early 90's.

The only WC Franks I recall was on 120th & Center.
bbinks
Parks & Recreation

Post by bbinks »

joeglow wrote: The was a Bojangles on restaurant row on 108th and L back in the 80's.
That one is now an Arby's. The Arby's on 50th & Center was also a Bojangles.
NEDodger
Parks & Recreation

Post by NEDodger »

bbinks wrote:There was some other pizza place on the North side of 93rd & Maple. Only went there once in the late 80's/early 90's.

Breadeaux.
GRANDPASMUCKER
Human Relations

Post by GRANDPASMUCKER »

NEDodger wrote:
bbinks wrote:There was some other pizza place on the North side of 93rd & Maple. Only went there once in the late 80's/early 90's.

Breadeaux.
It was a Pizza Inn. It was kind of like Pizza Hut and tasted just as bad. My favorite was always the El Fredos in the strip mall on the NW corner of 90th and Maple. El Fredos was great. The first El Fredos is still open in Sioux City. I was a maintenance man for that strip mall on 108th & Maple in the early 80's. WC Franks food sucked but I would go in there everyday and play video games for an hour or two while I was on the clock.
bbinks
Parks & Recreation

Post by bbinks »

NEDodger wrote:

Breadeaux.
This was it. Thanks.
MadMartin8
Planning Board

Post by MadMartin8 »

NEDodger wrote:

Breadeaux.

I actually liked that place.
No posts exist for this topic
NEDodger
Parks & Recreation

Post by NEDodger »

I remember eating there, but can't recall the pizza. I remember the commercials, though?
NovakOmaha
Planning Board

Post by NovakOmaha »

Greg S wrote:I would go to one at 72nd and Howard. Initially it was a WC Franks with a Pizza By The Slice next door. Then Don and Millies and now it's a tiny Office Depot.

I loved going to WC's. It was fun with all the game and they had great hot dogs. Used to go to one in downtown Lincoln too, right by Wendy's and the Nebraska Bookstore. I think Tuesdays were all you can eat nights.

Greg
The pizza by the slice was a Valentino's subsidiary called Piece of the Pie. I actually liked it better than Vals. Way less greasy & quick with the drive thru. One day they just closed it. I don't know of any others in Omaha. Maybe there was/were some in other cities. I guess they didn't do that well.

Edit. I guess they did pretty well. I just found this on the Valentinos web site. I had no idea.
1982 – Begins Piece of the Pie, its pizza-by-the-slice operation at East Park Plaza; expands to 45 units before selling in 1985.
jag42
Library Board

Post by jag42 »

I also remember one on the SW corner of 90th and Maple. I think the arcade was on an upper level.
Stargazer
County Board

Post by Stargazer »

I don't know if it was before/after 120th and Center... but I know at one time there was one near 120th and Pacific as well, just south of Bronco's in a little strip of retail.
Shoot for the Moon... if you miss, you'll land among the stars.
NEDodger
Parks & Recreation

Post by NEDodger »

Wasn't Pefferoni's kind of in the same vein but a Pizza/arcade mixture? I remember going there once, but the details are hazy.
GRANDPASMUCKER
Human Relations

Post by GRANDPASMUCKER »

NEDodger wrote:Wasn't Pefferoni's kind of in the same vein but a Pizza/arcade mixture? I remember going there once, but the details are hazy.
Pefferonis had maybe 1 or 2 arcade games. There was 1 on N 90th and one in Benson. Got a few Pefferonis stories. One time in about 1978 a high school buddy and me both skipped school one day and decided to go out to lunch at the Pefferonis in Benson. We were only 17 and we walked in and sat down at a table and the waitress walked up and asked if we wanted anything to drink and my friend said "Yes we will start with a pitcher of beer please." The waitress turned around and went and got our pitcher of beer no questions asked. We ended up eating a ton of pizza and drinking 4 pitchers of beer and were pretty buzzed. Not being happy with the treat of being allowed to drink my buddy decides we should dine and dash. I said no way and he said well I'm going and headed for the door. Next thing I knew I was right behind him. The waitress sees us going and yells out hey you still owe for your meal. We took off running down the sidewalk in Benson and she took out after us. She chased us for about a block and then she got tired and started slowing down. Finally we were about a block ahead of her and we ducked behind a car and she ran right by us. So we go back to my house and were laughing and talking about it and we decide to call them up and tell them were sorry and will come back and pay for our meal. Our waitress gets on the phone and cusses us out and tells us what pieces of |expletive| we are and that she don't want our money and if we come up there ever again she will call the cops on us. Never went back there again! :oops:
omahacacher
Home Owners Association

Post by omahacacher »

GRANDPASMUCKER wrote:
NEDodger wrote:Wasn't Pefferoni's kind of in the same vein but a Pizza/arcade mixture? I remember going there once, but the details are hazy.
Pefferonis had maybe 1 or 2 arcade games. There was 1 on N 90th and one in Benson. Got a few Pefferonis stories. One time in about 1978 a high school buddy and me both skipped school one day and decided to go out to lunch at the Pefferonis in Benson. We were only 17 and we walked in and sat down at a table and the waitress walked up and asked if we wanted anything to drink and my friend said "Yes we will start with a pitcher of beer please." The waitress turned around and went and got our pitcher of beer no questions asked. We ended up eating a ton of pizza and drinking 4 pitchers of beer and were pretty buzzed. Not being happy with the treat of being allowed to drink my buddy decides we should dine and dash. I said no way and he said well I'm going and headed for the door. Next thing I knew I was right behind him. The waitress sees us going and yells out hey you still owe for your meal. We took off running down the sidewalk in Benson and she took out after us. She chased us for about a block and then she got tired and started slowing down. Finally we were about a block ahead of her and we ducked behind a car and she ran right by us. So we go back to my house and were laughing and talking about it and we decide to call them up and tell them were sorry and will come back and pay for our meal. Our waitress gets on the phone and cusses us out and tells us what pieces of |expletive| we are and that she don't want our money and if we come up there ever again she will call the cops on us. Never went back there again! :oops:
What a d-bag you are/were.
Pat
New to the Neighborhood

Post by Pat »

You really are a SMUCKER. :no:
Galaxus
New to the Neighborhood

Post by Galaxus »

There was also one in Council Bluffs - was in a shopping center pretty much east of the city before you get to Iowa Western Community College. I think there was a K-Mart there at one point. Pretty sure it was Railroad Avenue by the K-mart there. I remember getting a super cheap hot-dog so I'd have more money for the arcade games. The hot dog didn't have much taste - like perhaps it was water-logged. I got very, very ill and had to go to the doctor the next day to get an anti-nausea shot to stop throwing up. But it may have just been a coincidence.

Loved the arcade though!
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

image.jpg
image.jpg (108.1 KiB) Viewed 9924 times
choke
Human Relations

Post by choke »

Don't forget 60th and Ames where Tommy's Tires currently occupies. That, too, was a WC Franks.
Bosco55David
Parks & Recreation

Post by Bosco55David »

Galaxus wrote:There was also one in Council Bluffs - was in a shopping center pretty much east of the city before you get to Iowa Western Community College. I think there was a K-Mart there at one point. Pretty sure it was Railroad Avenue by the K-mart there. I remember getting a super cheap hot-dog so I'd have more money for the arcade games. The hot dog didn't have much taste - like perhaps it was water-logged. I got very, very ill and had to go to the doctor the next day to get an anti-nausea shot to stop throwing up. But it may have just been a coincidence.

Loved the arcade though!
That K-Mart is still there to my knowledge. I had no idea there was a W.C Frank there though.
omaha79
Parks & Recreation

Post by omaha79 »

This one hasn't been mentioned, but there was a W.C. Franks at 49th and L St. The location is now a Pizza Hut and has been since the mid 80's. W.C. Franks was out of there by roughly 1985. I had my 4th or 5th birthday party at that place which would have made it roughly 1983 or 1984. Quite the lasting memory for me. It's a little foggy, but I seem to remember a big ball pit in the middle of the floor (I could be wrong about that) and video games lining the walls of the perimeter. And, I remember a big roller with hot dogs.

Also, my family LIVED at the Pefferoni's at 42nd and I-80. They always had a few video games, but that wasn't their focus. The classic car salad bar was pretty memorable.

If you lived in South Omaha in the mid to late 80's after W.C. Franks was gone, not much beat Pizza Keg on 50th and L as an arcade. I still miss that place.
Filthy McNasty
New to the Neighborhood

Post by Filthy McNasty »

There was a WC Franks location in the Park Drive Shopping Center @ 84th & Park Drive.