Horizontal Blind Slats

General discussion on all things Omaha.

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

skinzfan23
City Council

Horizontal Blind Slats

Post by skinzfan23 »

I just have a question. Our dog broke some of our faux wood blinds in a large window in the living room. Does anyone know if you can take a piece into Menards or Home Depot and they will be able to cut one to match. They are very easy to take out and replace, but I am having a hard time finding just the slats (individual blind) for sale on websites. I would prefer not to purchase a whole new set of blinds. I was thinking, my other option might be to try a blind store in the Omaha area if the box stores can't do it.

Any help would be appreciated.
nebugeater
City Council

Re: Horizontal Blind Slats

Post by nebugeater »

skinzfan23 wrote:I just have a question.  Our dog broke some of our faux wood blinds in a large window in the living room.  Does anyone know if you can take a piece into Menards or Home Depot and they will be able to cut one to match.  They are very easy to take out and replace, but I am having a hard time finding just the slats (individual blind) for sale on websites.  I would prefer not to purchase a whole new set of blinds.  I was thinking, my other option might be to try a blind store in the Omaha area if the box stores can't do it.

Any help would be appreciated.

I would have my doubts that the Box stores will have individual slats for your blinds. Just too many different options for them to have in stock. Is there a brand on the blind that you can find. The option I would try is the web site for the brand to see if there is any support or service information connection that could point you in the correct direction.
For the record  NEBUGEATER does not equal BUGEATER    !!!!!!!
nebport5
Planning Board

Post by nebport5 »

It may depend on the brand, but it may be possible to replace the slat with a different brand. If it's Hunter Douglas, Levolor, etc. that would be better than a prefabricated disposable brand. It may not be an exact match but close enough and better than getting a whole new blind.

I'd avoid the big box with this as well and try a local place.

Ace Shade Co might be able to help. (402) 498-9876
skinzfan23
City Council

Post by skinzfan23 »

Thanks you both for your help. I was thinking it would be cheaper to fix than replace the whole thing. I am going to have to check to see if there is a brand on the blinds. I didn't see any last night but I will look more closely.
GetUrban
Planning Board

Post by GetUrban »

If you can find the brand you have, you could also try to find it at SelectBlinds.com. They have a huge selection. ...dunno if they would sell a single slat though. But you'd probably save if you had to buy a whole new blind.
He said "They are some big, ugly red brick buildings"
...and then they were gone.
skinzfan23
City Council

Post by skinzfan23 »

I am not home right now, but I had my wife check and she couldn't find a brand name on them. Any idea where that might be located? I was thinking it might be on the bottom of the blinds. I will have to check when I get home.

Overall the slats seem pretty simple, they are plain and white. About the only thing I would think would be partially difficult is making the slits where the cord goes through.
guitarguy
Parks & Recreation

Post by guitarguy »

My guess would be near where the mounting hardware is.
skinzfan23
City Council

Post by skinzfan23 »

Once again, thank you all for your help. I was able to find a small sticker on the top of the blinds stating that they came from blinds.com. I called them and they looked up our address and could see what the previous owner had ordered. They are supposed to get back to me with the price for the slats tomorrow. By the way, the window is pretty large (65" Wide and 76" High). I just hope they don't want a ton for the replacement slats.
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

skinzfan23 wrote:Once again, thank you all for your help.  I was able to find a small sticker on the top of the blinds stating that they came from blinds.com.  I called them and they looked up our address and could see what the previous owner had ordered.  They are supposed to get back to me with the price for the slats tomorrow.  By the way, the window is pretty large (65" Wide and 76" High).  I just hope they don't want a ton for the replacement slats.

Good luck! Sounds like you are on the right track if there is a possibility to get it fixed rather than replaced. Let us know
skinzfan23
City Council

Post by skinzfan23 »

Just got a message back...for 10 slats it is only $20....much cheaper than the $120 for new blinds.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

skinzfan23 wrote:Just got a message back...for 10 slats it is only $20....much cheaper than the $120 for new blinds.
That's not bad at all. :thumb:
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

skinzfan23 wrote:Just got a message back...for 10 slats it is only $20....much cheaper than the $120 for new blinds.
WIN!

Unless it is a $100 for shipping :P
GetUrban
Planning Board

Post by GetUrban »

Good to know! It must be a common occurrence considering all of the people with mischievous pets out there.
He said "They are some big, ugly red brick buildings"
...and then they were gone.
cdub
Parks & Recreation

Post by cdub »

Good to know thats an option. Although I dont know how youd get thee replacements on there anyway.
Ive had to glue the ends on several pieces as the kids whack them and they break where they are thin to let the strings through. Thats worked ok so far but going to be a problem eventually.
nebport5
Planning Board

Post by nebport5 »

cdub wrote:Good to know thats an option.  Although I dont know how youd get thee replacements on there anyway.  
Ive had to glue the ends on several pieces as the kids whack them and they break where they are thin to let the strings through.  Thats worked ok so far but going to be a problem eventually.

You have to untie the cords and rethread them. Not hard, but can be a little tedious. At the bottom of the blind there should be caps you can pry off to reach the tied off cord knots. You only have to unthread the cords as high as the broken slats but pay attention to how the cords thread through the ladders(the cloth ropes that hold up the slats) alternating every other side. If you're off on the alternation pattern you're blind will hang funny. Once you slide the new slats between the ladder harnesses it's just a matter of rethreading the cords and re-tying them off at the ends.
skinzfan23
City Council

Post by skinzfan23 »

nebport5 wrote:
cdub wrote:Good to know thats an option.  Although I dont know how youd get thee replacements on there anyway.  
Ive had to glue the ends on several pieces as the kids whack them and they break where they are thin to let the strings through.  Thats worked ok so far but going to be a problem eventually.

You have to untie the cords and rethread them.  Not hard, but can be a little tedious.  At the bottom of the blind there should be caps you can pry off to reach the tied off cord knots.  You only have to unthread the cords as high as the broken slats but pay attention to how the cords thread through the ladders(the cloth ropes that hold up the slats) alternating every other side. If you're off on the alternation pattern you're blind will hang funny.  Once you slide the new slats between the ladder harnesses it's just a matter of rethreading the cords and re-tying them off at the ends.
Yeah just looking at it, it doesn't look too complicated, but just like every other project, it may end up being harder than initially thought.

The manufacturer is sending a sample slat to us today and then we have to see if they match closely to the existing ones. They were afraid to place the order for the slats in case the current ones are faded too much. Hopefully they are close then I can order the replacements and put them on. I will have to let you know how it goes.