Is 72nd The Divider Between East and West?

General discussion on all things Omaha.

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

Coyote
City Council

Re: Is 72nd The Divider Between East and West?

Post by Coyote »

A simple map:

Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Very strange map... Where did that come from?

I have never heard anyone use "Uptown". Never seen anyone lump Sapp brothers in to Millard. Lots of people us Keystone, some people use Peony Park, but nobody lumps the two together.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Brad wrote:Very strange map...  Where did that come from?
Google search "Omaha Neighborhoods".
I was going to put a map together when I saw that one. For use for conversation. Couldn't find a better one...
OmahaJaysCU
Planning Board

Post by OmahaJaysCU »

Trips wrote:iamjacobm - I agree.  I would just like the local news to use those terms when describing an area.  Yesterday while talking with my mom who lives out of town, she asked about the West Omaha shooting and if it was close.  The shooting was on 72nd and Sorensen over 21 miles away from me.  

I say that I live in West Omaha also known as the Millard/Gretna area.  

OmahaJaysCU - As I am ignorant please let me know what I should call everything from 132nd west?  Does West Omaha stop where Millard and Elkhorn start?  I will no longer refer to North Omaha and instead use the historic city name of Saratoga.
Sorry pal, you're ignorant for thinking "Midtown" means center of town. I don't care what you call west of 132nd st.
ricko
Parks & Recreation

Post by ricko »

My dad was a contractor and his job took him all over the city. I worked for him for 4 Summers and learned a lot about the city (already an Omaha geek). Anyways, this is how his generation (WW2) saw the city in terms of Neighborhoods. I'll probably forget a few, and I'll give the boundaries of those that are not apparent. Keep in mind that some of these neighborhoods overlap.

South Omaha: Center St. to Harrison, 42nd St. to the river.
Homestead: L St to Harrison, 60th St to 42nd. (The history of the neighborhood had something to do with the Homestead Act of 1867, something about the very first parcel doled out by the new law).
Little Italy
Sheely Town
Hanscom Park
Vinton
Uptown (this is what South Omahan's called downtown Omaha, they also called it "north Omaha" for some reason------Downtown South Omaha, S.24th, was just called 'downtown'.
Brown Park/Dog Hollow/Goose Hollow/Irish Hill/Southside Terrace/Sunshine/Upland Park/Morton Park/Settlement (subsets of South O)
Downtown
Midtown (and sub-neighborhoods called Turner Park and Park Avenue.)
Cathedral/Gold Coast
East Omaha: Most of East Omaha (south of Eppley & North of Downtown), is gone. It was a populated area----if you go on google earth, you can still faintly see the street grid from above----the other part of East O is still there North of Carter Lake.
Dundee
Happy Hollow
Fairacres
Country Club
Aksarben
Field Club
North Omaha (50th St to 16th, North of Cuming to about Ames)
Bemis Park
Miller Park/Krug Park
Florence
Minne Lusa
Westgate
Peony Park (the neighborhoods adjacent to the Park)
Beverly Hills (72nd to 90th, Pacific to Dodge)
Regency (that 'new' neighborhood)
Benson
Irvington (not much there, but it pretty much was the name for anything up that way)
Rockbrook
West Omaha---back then, anything West of 72nd----I guess it stuck.

To add to the confusion, if you were Catholic, you had another set of neighborhoods defined by your parish.
If my folks couldn't identify the neighborhood by name, they'd refer to the parish, i.e. "oh, they live way out there in Joan of Arc".
RNcyanide
Planning Board

Post by RNcyanide »

Brad wrote:
Trips wrote:As I am ignorant please let me know what I should call everything from 132nd west?  Does West Omaha stop where Millard and Elkhorn start?  I will no longer refer to North Omaha and instead use the historic city name of Saratoga.
Personally, I try to be a little more specific.  Instead of West Omaha, I use other references like Oakview, Village Point, Eagle Run, Deer Creek, Zornski Lake, etc.

I wish there were a few more landmarks in the southwest part of the city to refer to those areas.  May be they do and I just don't know them.  Like the Westside area can be broken up in to Loveland, Westgate, Oakdale Rockbrook, Etc.  Can the Millard area be broken up the same way?  Do people in Millard know and use  those areas like the Westside people do?
In Millard, I've heard most people just refer to intersections instead of proper neighborhood names.

Personally, I'll give proper names to certain areas (which might not necessarily be what other people call them). For example, the statistical analysis area Chalco is considered to be from 132nd and Harrison southwest to 156th and I80. I refer to the area around the Stonybrook Hy-Vee and Millard South as Stonybrook, or the neighborhood around Zorinsky Lake as just that. The area in the older area of Millard around Millard Central and the neighborhoods surrounding Millard Ave is called Old Millard.

Anything west of 180th I just call the Wild West because there's nothing out there that concerns me.
When fortune smiles on something as violent and ugly as revenge, it seems proof like no other that not only does God exist, you're doing his will.

The Bride