Cookie Cutter Skyscrapers

General discussion on all things Omaha.

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

iamjacobm
City Council

Cookie Cutter Skyscrapers

Post by iamjacobm »

I have found this to be really really interesting. There are high rise residential buildings popping up all over the place under the name "Skyhouse *instert city here*."

Raleigh

Dallas

Denver

And there are more, but you get the picture. I can't quite decide what to think of it, at face it comes off as tacky and cheap and really diminishes the building for me. Then again it possibly could keep rents a little lower for tenants and the building is still attractive for what it is.

Not sure if anyone else finds this interesting at all. Just a new step in urban development I guess, taking a page from the financial successes of suburban developers.
iamjacobm
City Council

Re: Cookie Cutter Skyscrapers

Post by iamjacobm »

I suppose this wasn't the best topic to put this thread in either.
Louie
County Board

Post by Louie »

Well its not like its a new mcdonalds or starbucks. I'd take that in a heartbeat.
TitosBuritoBarn
Planning Board

Post by TitosBuritoBarn »

Part of me hates the laziness of this, but part of me agrees with Louie.

A third part of me realizes this isn't anywhere near a new practice. Omaha's own Kutak Rock building (http://goo.gl/maps/5qJAu) has a carbon copy in Kansas City (http://goo.gl/maps/fO7aF).
"Video game violence is not a new problem. Who could forget in the wake of SimCity how children everywhere took up urban planning." - Stephen Colbert
OmahaOmaha
Home Owners Association

Post by OmahaOmaha »

Skyhouse Omaha. Expect an annoucement sometime in the next 30-90 days (just kidding). By the way, the average Skyhouse costs around 65 million and is environmentally sustainable and Energy Star-certified. A Skyhouse would be great Downtown, by Midtown Crossing, in Aksarben Village, or by Crossroads Village.
NEDodger
Parks & Recreation

Post by NEDodger »

I don't have an issue with it. I like the look of the building and they are keeping the name consistent, so it's more as if they are going for a brand. If it were the exact same building but they were trying to disguise it as different projects, I think it'd be kind of lame.
Trips
Library Board

Post by Trips »

The prices for some of the cities are expensive. Studio $1,500 - 1 Bedroom $1,950

To Compare:
Corvina Omaha
Studio: $845
1 Bed: $1,000
2 Bed: $1,600

Midtown
1 Bed: $925 - $1,400
2 Bed: $1,260 - $2,100

I was in a very similar building in Tempe (Mill Ave and 6th) that had two towers and the same look. The 2 bedroom was really nice, great location but $2,700/month.
Louie
County Board

Post by Louie »

Trips wrote:The prices for some of the cities are expensive. Studio $1,500 - 1 Bedroom $1,950

To Compare:
Corvina Omaha
1 Bed: $1,000
2 Bed: $1,600

Midtown
1 Bed: $925 - $1,400
2 Bed: $1,260 - $2,100

I was in a very similar building in Tempe (Mill Ave and 6th) that had two towers and the same look. The 2 bedroom was really nice, great location but $2,700/month.
I wonder how much of the price is dictated by the locale. I would a assume demand in other cities may raise the price.