Each States Most Famous Restrants

General discussion on all things Omaha.

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

nebugeater
City Council

Each States Most Famous Restrants

Post by nebugeater »

Here another one of those lists. Per another expert opinion - here is the most famous restaurant in each state. There are some names you have heard of, some sound interesting and would drive me to check tehm out if in there area and then there are some ones that make you go hmmm.

http://www.thrillist.com/eat/nation/mos ... very-state" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Nebraska - This can work but I can think of others.

The Drover Restaurant & Lounge
Omaha (est. 1978)
While the state has way more cattle than people, Nebraskans are trying to even things out by ordering plenty of whiskey steaks at The Drover. And even though they haven't been around as long as some of the other spots on this rundown, there's no denying that the Certified Angus cuts with a whiskey marinade -- a combination of whiskey, soy, garlic, and pepper -- have been keeping butts in seats for 30+ years. Eat there and there's no doubt you're in Nebraska, with plenty of Western art on the walls and two fireplaces to keep you warm during those cold, cold winters.

Iowa - Sorry Iowa, had not heard of this place.

Iowa
Northwestern Steakhouse
Mason City (Est. 1920)
When in Iowa, do as the Greeks do. About two hours North of Des Moines lies a steakhouse that's been around in one form or another since the '20s, and the steaks are all prepared one way: Greek-style. This means they're broiled in olive oil and doused with a special blend of Greek seasoning and secret ingredients, and the result is that you can cut your steak with a fork. The walls are plastered with old-timey movie posters featuring Chaplin and John Wayne in a cozy, 50-seat space.

Missouri - Works for me. Been there and like it.

Arthur Bryant's
Kansas City (Est. 1940)
Kansas City BBQ didn't get its start at Arthur Bryant's, but it's as close as you're gonna get to the original. Charlie and Arthur Bryant learned from Henry Perry, the originator of the style, in the '20s, and the brothers took over his operation in 1940. Since 1958, Arthur's Brooklyn Ave location -- he bought the whole shebang from his brother in '46 -- has been a temple of slow-cooked meats. Whether it's the beef and fries (12oz of slow-cooked beef brisket on a sandwich with fresh-cut fries), pulled pork, or burnt ends, you've gotta slather it in that original sauce, which hasn't changed since Arthur made it himself way back when. Its popularity continues to this day, with presidents from Truman to Obama stopping in for a bite, and ravenous KC sports fans mobbing the place on Royals and Chiefs game days.

South Dakota - This is one that makes you do a face plant and go "is that as good as it gets"

Wall Drug
Wall (Est. 1931)
You begin to see signs for it about 1,000mi before you arrive in South Dakota. They promise free ice water. $.05 coffee. A goddamned Tyrannosaurus Rex! There are many, many, many finer restaurants in South Dakota, but none are as famous, for good or ill, as the one in Wall Drug. It's impossible to avoid the Badlands-bordering, 76,000sqft wonder of tourist-trapping randomness, so just go in. Hit the cafe and score a hot beef sandwich and a maple donut. It won't hold a candle to the many, many better food options in the state. But you will emerge with a "Where the Heck is Wall Drug" sticker. You will have chased that sandwich with a T-Rex viewing. And you'll be happy you stopped every time you see a roadside Wall Drug sign every five minutes for the next 300mi.
For the record  NEBUGEATER does not equal BUGEATER    !!!!!!!
Brad
City Council

Re: Each States Most Famous Restrants

Post by Brad »

I don't have any problems with the Drover, its a great place. However I would never guess its our most "Famous" restaurant? I don't even thing a decent percentage of the Omaha population even knows about it.
skinzfan23
City Council

Post by skinzfan23 »

I agree. I am pretty sure more people have probably heard of Gorats, just because it is always mentioned during the shareholder meeting.

As for Iowa, I have never heard of that place and I have driven through Mason City a few times. I am surprised it isn't the Machine Shed or something in Des Moines. As for oldest place I am surprised it didn't mention Breitbach's (which is about 15 miles north of Dubuque) since it is the oldest continuously operating restaurant and bar in the state of Iowa, having been open since August 23, 1852.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

I would say that Ole's in Paxton may be more 'Famous' than the Drover...
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

If we are looking at alternatives for Nebraska I would have to add Misty's in Lincoln as a contender.
icejammer
County Board

Post by icejammer »

skinzfan23 wrote:As for Iowa, I have never heard of that place and I have driven through Mason City a few times.  I am surprised it isn't the Machine Shed or something in Des Moines.  
I've been to MAson City, and I've seen the Music Man museum and the Park Inn, but don't recall this place. For most famous, I would think Hickory Park in Ames would be up there with Machine Shed, as much love as the ESPN commentators have been giving the place.
"Destiny is not a matter of chance, it is a matter of choice; it is not a thing to be waited for, it is a thing to be achieved."

--William Jennings Bryan
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

icejammer wrote:For most famous, I would think Hickory Park in Ames would be up there with Machine Shed
I would go with Hickory Park. I completely forgot about the Machine Shed. Been a long time since I have been there.
skinzfan23
City Council

Post by skinzfan23 »

Brad wrote:
icejammer wrote:For most famous, I would think Hickory Park in Ames would be up there with Machine Shed
I would go with Hickory Park.  I completely forgot about the Machine Shed.  Been a long time since I have been there.
I think Hickory Park is great as well....although I haven't been there for around 10 years. We tried going 3-4 years ago when we were in Ames and the line was out the door. (as it usally is) I have yet to go to the Machine Shed, but people really talk it up.
omahacacher
Home Owners Association

Post by omahacacher »

I used to live in Mason City. Northwestern Steakhouse is in a residential neighborhood, so it's not a place you just happen to stumble upon. They call it a Greek steakhouse, but I never figured out why. The steaks are cooked in olive oil/butter along with a side of spaghetti drenched in the same olive oil/butter. Everyone in Mason City loves the place because there isn't anyplace else in town that's halfway decent. I always thought it was mediocre.
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

I never understood the steak with a side of pasta idea.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Funny you mentioned that - just an hour ago I talked to a brother in IT and apparently its a Memphis, St. Louis thing to have a side of spaghetti with fish or pork chops or chicken. I had to look this up just to make sure he wasn't pulling my chain, but he said it was a brother thing, vs having spaghetti as the entree...
MadMartin8
Planning Board

Post by MadMartin8 »

iamjacobm wrote:I never understood the steak with a side of pasta idea.
It makes for a pretty good combo at Spezia. *shrugs*
No posts exist for this topic
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

I always thought it was an Italian thing since most of those old school steak houses were started by Italians.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

nebugeater wrote:If we are looking at alternatives for Nebraska I would have to add Misty's in Lincoln as a contender.
I just heard from friends who came back from Lincoln today after a lunch at Havelock Misty's that swore their "New! Blackened Prime Rib Burger" (Topped with our famous blackened prime rib, jack cheese and dijonnaise sauce.) was the Bomb. Can anyone concur on this?
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

Coyote wrote:
nebugeater wrote:If we are looking at alternatives for Nebraska I would have to add Misty's in Lincoln as a contender.
I just heard from friends who came back from Lincoln today after a lunch at Havelock Misty's that swore their "New! Blackened Prime Rib Burger" (Topped with our famous blackened prime rib, jack cheese and dijonnaise sauce.) was the Bomb. Can anyone concur on this?
I will add that to my list of things to confirm.
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

nebugeater wrote:
Coyote wrote:
I will add that to my list of things to confirm.

Just looked at their on line menu. For $18 it better be good!
bigredmed1
Parks & Recreation

Post by bigredmed1 »

OLe's Big Game Bar had better be on the list. Best Mountain Oysters in Nebraska by far. A bar that has a Polar Bear crushing a baby Harp Seal as it's corporate logo and the first thing you see walking into the place is Nebraskan to floor.
NovakOmaha
Planning Board

Post by NovakOmaha »

Every Caniglia-owned restaurant and many other Italian ones served pasta with their entres. Steak, potato, salad, pasta...quite a meal and back in the day it was pretty reasonable. I remember when Cascio's did that for lunch and it was something like $4.95-6.95.
Omababe
Planning Board

Post by Omababe »

It is (was) common in many places back east, mostly family-owned Sicilian red sauce places that expanded their menu. Side of spaghetti with house sauce was included with just about everything.