Google Maps & Google Earth

General discussion on all things Omaha.

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

mrsticka
Parks & Recreation

Post by mrsticka »

The new GIS site is finally up if anyone wants to view it.  I can't unfortunately because it requires Adobe Flash Player 11.5 and my computer does not meet the system requirements.

But anyway, here it is:
http://maps.dogis.org/dogis2
Garrett
Planning Board

Post by Garrett »

I just noticed that google has started doing "streetview" in pedestrian/bike areas. Looks pretty good.

http://maps.google.com/maps?um=1&ie=UTF ... JoBEPwSMAA
OMA-->CHI-->NYC
Mr.Nuke
Human Relations

Post by Mr.Nuke »

Axel wrote:I just noticed that google has started doing "streetview" in pedestrian/bike areas. Looks pretty good.
They've been doing it for awhile.  The Grant Park area you linked to has an image date of nearly 2 years ago (May 2011).
Garrett
Planning Board

Post by Garrett »

Hence the "I just noticed" part. ;) I wonder what other cities there are...
OMA-->CHI-->NYC
jessep28
Planning Board

Post by jessep28 »

I wonder if you can see Streets anywhere?
Verbum Domini Manet in Aeternum
koberaptor
Home Owners Association

Post by koberaptor »

mrsticka wrote:
HR Paperstacks wrote:
koberaptor wrote:On http://maps.google.com most of omaha's pictures were taken in 2008, 2009.... anyone wanna update them?
Also if you zoom in far enough with 45° view off, the pictures are pretty recent. I think they were updated around the same time as Google Earth.
I've seen them.  It's pretty cool.  They only have 45 degree angle views of Omaha, though.  Not Lincoln, unfortunately.  I think they should also redo the Street View shots to be in high resolution.

EDIT: They now have 45 degree angle views of Lincoln, as well.
How do u turn off this "45 degree angle"?
Garrett
Planning Board

Post by Garrett »

There is a drop down tab under the part where you can change from map to satellite.
OMA-->CHI-->NYC
jessep28
Planning Board

Post by jessep28 »

Off topic sorta, but I kind of prefer Bing's birds eye view, although it's kind of irritating when your navigating an area and things shift around when the next image loads.
Verbum Domini Manet in Aeternum
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

jessep28 wrote:Off topic sorta, but I kind of prefer Bing's birds eye view, although it's kind of irritating when your navigating an area and things shift around when the next image loads.
For several years, Bing was way ahead of everyone, but now Google Earth has the most current images, 2012.
skinzfan23
City Council

Post by skinzfan23 »

Brad wrote:
jessep28 wrote:Off topic sorta, but I kind of prefer Bing's birds eye view, although it's kind of irritating when your navigating an area and things shift around when the next image loads.
For several years, Bing was way ahead of everyone, but now Google Earth has the most current images, 2012.
Bing's streetview is also from March/April 2012.  You can see the new apt building at 12th and Howard as well as the Ralston arena being nearly complete.  Google really needs to update their streetviews of Omaha.  In the Old Market the building were Stokes is is all boarded up.  The Hyatt Place property still has the old building and parking there.  Also the old UP building is still standing.  This view must be at least 4-5 years old.
Garrett
Planning Board

Post by Garrett »

I think it was all taken in 2008.
OMA-->CHI-->NYC
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

skinzfan23 wrote:
Brad wrote:
Bing's streetview is also from March/April 2012.  You can see the new apt building at 12th and Howard as well as the Ralston arena being nearly complete.  Google really needs to update their streetviews of Omaha.  In the Old Market the building were Stokes is is all boarded up.  The Hyatt Place property still has the old building and parking there.  Also the old UP building is still standing.  This view must be at least 4-5 years old.
And the picture quality is terrible for the downtown streetview.  It looks like there was a film of dirt on the lens or something.
RNcyanide
Planning Board

Post by RNcyanide »

Speaking of Google, on the map overlay, we finally have the 3D buildings across town, all the way down to all the sprawling neighborhoods in the south and west. It will take another update before they get the sizes and shapes right, however. So far, they have UP as the tallest building in the city.
When fortune smiles on something as violent and ugly as revenge, it seems proof like no other that not only does God exist, you're doing his will.

The Bride
TitosBuritoBarn
Planning Board

Post by TitosBuritoBarn »

If you look in the bottom left corner of any Streetview image, you can see the month and year it was taken. It looks like most in downtown Omaha were taken September 2007 and August 2009.
"Video game violence is not a new problem. Who could forget in the wake of SimCity how children everywhere took up urban planning." - Stephen Colbert
mrsticka
Parks & Recreation

Post by mrsticka »

TitosBuritoBarn wrote:If you look in the bottom left corner of any Streetview image, you can see the month and year it was taken. It looks like most in downtown Omaha were taken September 2007 and August 2009.
Google finally updated the Street View imagery of both Omaha and Lincoln.  It was taken in 2011-12.  And now it's in high-res.
TitosBuritoBarn
Planning Board

Wonder why they took so long. I saw them redoing the Chicago area last year and they posted the images within several months.
"Video game violence is not a new problem. Who could forget in the wake of SimCity how children everywhere took up urban planning." - Stephen Colbert
mrsticka
Parks & Recreation

Post by mrsticka »

Beats me.  The business district on 108th between L and Q was shot in July 2011 when 108th was under construction.  They were in the process of widening it to include a center turn lane.  Something they should've done 40 years ago.
koberaptor
Home Owners Association

Post by koberaptor »

lots of pictures around the state of nebraska they took in the summer of 2012. platte river looks horrible, especially around grand island

and this doesnt even look like it belongs in nebraska: http://goo.gl/maps/4pyCZ  :D
TitosBuritoBarn
Planning Board

Honestly Nebraska, street trees. If nothing else, at least street trees.

And for such a fiscally conservative government, NDOR certainly likes to not sell unused right of way. What are you going to do with all that land, besides not maintain it or landscape it? Its like the right of way department is run by these people.

BRoss
IT Director

Post by BRoss »

I happened to stumble upon this. It's an inside view of Spezia off 72nd and Hascall:

https://www.google.com/maps/preview?hl= ... !7e2&fid=5
(Sorry, couldn't get it to post as a link)

You can even move around the restaraunt.
RNcyanide
Planning Board

Post by RNcyanide »

Google Maps has adjusted some of their 3D buildings downtown. Central Park Plaza is now the appropriate shape, the older FNC is now the right height, and a few others have been straightened out. Also, they readjusted the Twin Towers, including the North Tower under demolition. Lastly, they got the shape of Children's Hospital right. Otherwise, they have yet to properly do Woodmen and OFNC, and a lot of the buildings downtown look blocky and disjointed.
When fortune smiles on something as violent and ugly as revenge, it seems proof like no other that not only does God exist, you're doing his will.

The Bride
Bomaha
Home Owners Association

Post by Bomaha »

It looks like a large section of Omaha has been updated on Google Maps. Shows Dodge street resurfaced EB lanes, etc. So like a month ago or so? Didn't do any more research than that. :-)
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Bomaha wrote:It looks like a large section of Omaha has been updated on Google Maps. Shows Dodge street resurfaced EB lanes, etc. So like a month ago or so? Didn't do any more research than that. :-)
I had noticed a 2013 copyright also.
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

Can't be more than two or three weeks old I would guess.
skinzfan23
City Council

Post by skinzfan23 »

Very nice catch....yeah the aerial shots are probably about 2-3 weeks old.  If you look closely you can see that the south lanes of Dodge were completed but not the north.  A few other things I noticed:

Ralston Arena
SAC Credit Union HQ's
Hyatt Place
Water being filled in on the dam/reservoir near Werner Park
Nebraska Crossing Outlets
ricko
Parks & Recreation

Post by ricko »

Found myself in a hotel bar with one of the Google street-view photographers sitting next to me---- I was told that we will soon be able to enter major public buildings on street-view, including hotels, for a look-around.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

ricko wrote:Found myself in a hotel bar with one of the Google street-view photographers sitting next to me---- I was told that we will soon be able to enter major public buildings on street-view, including hotels, for a look-around.
You can do this at the Baxter Building (I think it was), you can take the elevator up to a room.
bbinks
Parks & Recreation

Post by bbinks »

Coyote wrote:
I'm thinking late winter, early spring, for my neighborhood at least.   Plenty of dormant lawns and no roofing contractors after the late April hail that wiped out most peoples roofs.

Street view just became available for my area this spring as well, but it is probably about 2 years old.  A neighbor had changed companies he works for and his old employer van is still in the driveway.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Coyote wrote:
Bomaha wrote:It looks like a large section of Omaha has been updated on Google Maps. Shows Dodge street resurfaced EB lanes, etc. So like a month ago or so? Didn't do any more research than that. :-)
The new Aerials were taken on September 21, 2013.
bbinks
Parks & Recreation

Post by bbinks »

Brad wrote:
Coyote wrote:
The new Aerials were taken on September 21, 2013.
These must have just been updated.   I was using mapquest last last week and the images were still the ones from earlier this year.
mrsticka
Parks & Recreation

Post by mrsticka »

They've rerouted Bert Murphy Avenue at the zoo.  Rosenblatt's been demolished and replaced with a much smaller stadium and baseball diamond.  And they're building new bridges at I-80/I-29 in Council Bluffs.  I noticed those 3 things.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Coyote wrote:
ricko wrote:Found myself in a hotel bar with one of the Google street-view photographers sitting next to me---- I was told that we will soon be able to enter major public buildings on street-view, including hotels, for a look-around.
You can do this at the Baxter Building (I think it was), you can take the elevator up to a room.
Just found another building tour done by http://www.IntroVisuals.com (formerly Tour it 1st.com)
If you Google Map 4625 Farnam Street (KPTM) you can walk into the building and visit the staff room and conference room.
They have also done Hiro 88, The Diner, Eat the Worm, O Dining and Lounge, Capitol Lounge among others...
mrsticka
Parks & Recreation

Post by mrsticka »

I didn't catch it until now, but 16th/F/Spring Lake has been turned into a roundabout.
Mr.Nuke
Human Relations

Re: Google Maps & Google Earth

Post by Mr.Nuke »

At some point fairly recently East Omaha and Council Bluffs got the 3d imagining treatment.
RNcyanide
Planning Board

Post by RNcyanide »

In Maps, most buildings have accurate height and shape rendered in 3D.

The Bride
mrsticka
Parks & Recreation

Post by mrsticka »

Some streets have updated imagery on Street View again. Most of it is from March and April of this year. Not the whole city, just bits and pieces such as portions of I-80, eastbound L Street (including Industrial Road and West Center), 108th between L and Q.
skinzfan23
City Council

Post by skinzfan23 »

I just noticed that areas around the Westroads have updated street view images from August 2014. There is probably more areas of the metro as well. I recently saw the google car driving on 480.
BRoss
IT Director

Post by BRoss »

skinzfan23 wrote:I just noticed that areas around the Westroads have updated street view images from August 2014.  There is probably more areas of the metro as well.  I recently saw the google car driving on 480.
My mom recently saw one drive by their house in way out southwest Omaha.
RNcyanide
Planning Board

Post by RNcyanide »

HR Paperstacks wrote:
skinzfan23 wrote:I just noticed that areas around the Westroads have updated street view images from August 2014.  There is probably more areas of the metro as well.  I recently saw the google car driving on 480.
My mom recently saw one drive by their house in way out southwest Omaha.
I've followed a few around my area of town. Are they local drivers or are they all from Google's campus in California?

The Bride
Turtle9160
Home Owners Association

Post by Turtle9160 »

I saw one of the Google cars driving around in Bellevue a few days ago, he was over by Twin Creek going up 36th Street