Google Maps & Google Earth

General discussion on all things Omaha.

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

Brad
City Council

Re: Google Maps & Google Earth

Post by Brad »

HR Paperstacks wrote:Google Earth now has imagery from 5/6/2016.
On Google Earth check out Creighton Prep's baseball field on the new 2016 Aerial photo.

and on the www.dogis.org website, check out the house at 606 South 200th Street on the new 2016 aerial photo.
BRoss
IT Director

Post by BRoss »

Brad wrote:
HR Paperstacks wrote:Google Earth now has imagery from 5/6/2016.
On Google Earth check out Creighton Prep's baseball field on the new 2016 Aerial photo.

and on the http://www.dogis.org website, check out the house at 606 South 200th Street on the new 2016 aerial photo.
lol
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Brad wrote:On Google Earth check out Creighton Prep's baseball field on the new 2016 Aerial photo.
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (142.51 KiB) Viewed 14180 times
Brad wrote:and on the http://www.dogis.org website, check out the house at 606 South 200th Street on the new 2016 aerial photo.
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (144.24 KiB) Viewed 14180 times
omahacacher
Home Owners Association

Post by omahacacher »

:D
Last edited by omahacacher on Sun Sep 18, 2016 6:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
MadMartin8
Planning Board

Post by MadMartin8 »

Coyote wrote:
Brad wrote:On Google Earth check out Creighton Prep's baseball field on the new 2016 Aerial photo.
image.jpeg
Brad wrote:and on the http://www.dogis.org website, check out the house at 606 South 200th Street on the new 2016 aerial photo.
image.jpeg

Hahaha, wonderful.
No posts exist for this topic
nativeomahan
County Board

Post by nativeomahan »

I attended Prep, many years ago. We did all sorts of nutty things. This is taking "nutty" to a different level.
mrsticka
Parks & Recreation

Post by mrsticka »

The DOGIS site now has satellite imagery from 1973 and 1982.
NovakOmaha
Planning Board

Post by NovakOmaha »

Evidently this type of decoration is all the rage. Whatever that building is at Tivoli around 175 & Center has it too.

Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Google Earth now has 2017 images. They are Dated 5/5/2017

Some of the highlights:
-Capitol District is topped out
-Civic is gone
-Facebook Graded
-National Cemetery shown
-Damsite 15A
-African Grasslands, Asian Highlands, Adventure Area
-Spring Lake has a lake
-I80/I29 in Council Bluffs
skinzfan23
City Council

Post by skinzfan23 »

Am I doing something wrong? I have google earth on my phone but am not seeing the latest images.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

skinzfan23 wrote:Am I doing something wrong? I have google earth on my phone but am not seeing the latest images.
Not sure, I am using Google Earth on my PC and they are there. However Google Maps is not updated either.
buildomaha
Human Relations

Post by buildomaha »

Google Maps on iOS has updated images for me.
#gohawks
skinzfan23
City Council

Post by skinzfan23 »

Brad wrote:
skinzfan23 wrote:Am I doing something wrong? I have google earth on my phone but am not seeing the latest images.
Not sure, I am using Google Earth on my PC and they are there. However Google Maps is not updated either.
I was able to see the updated version on Google Earth from my computer at home. I am still not sure how to get the version on my phone updated. I tried deleting it but it just leaves it in the icloud and retrieves it once I load it again.
bbinks
Parks & Recreation

Post by bbinks »

Only shows on my Samsung phone, PC is still old photos.
BRoss
IT Director

Post by BRoss »

The thick client version of Google Earth has the updated images but the web version and Google Maps does not yet.
Mr.Nuke
Human Relations

Post by Mr.Nuke »

I saw the google maps car a couple of times last week in Omaha again.
buildomaha
Human Relations

Post by buildomaha »

I've seen both Apple and Google Maps streetview cars in Omaha in the past couple of weeks.
#gohawks
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

HR Paperstacks wrote: Thu Jul 13, 2017 9:13 pm The thick client version of Google Earth has the updated images but the web version and Google Maps does not yet.
The dogis website also has 2018 Aerial Photos.
Omaha Cowboy
The Don

Post by Omaha Cowboy »

I’m assuming Apple and Google have been in town recently and will possibly be refreshing their map views of the Omaha area :?: ..

Interesting...

Ciao..LiO...Peace
Go Cowboys!
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Seen at Aksarben Broadmore this past week:
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (167.61 KiB) Viewed 12916 times
BRoss
IT Director

Post by BRoss »

You can see imagery from June of this year in Google Earth now if you go to the historical imagery and drag the slider to the right.
TitosBuritoBarn
Planning Board

Post by TitosBuritoBarn »

Google added new Streetview images of a lot of Omaha from this summer.
"Video game violence is not a new problem. Who could forget in the wake of SimCity how children everywhere took up urban planning." - Stephen Colbert
RockHarbor
Planning Board

Post by RockHarbor »

TitosBuritoBarn wrote: Wed Dec 12, 2018 4:43 pm Google added new Streetview images of a lot of Omaha from this summer.
Well, I've noticed their satellite maps haven't changed on Google Maps -- unless you're looking at the ones on your phone. (Technically, I was looking at Google Maps on some unfamiliar computer one day, and the satellite views surprisingly matched the ones on my phone. However, if you're looking at Google Maps with the 3D feature, the maps have not changed at all. The new lake/dam up on the Fort isn't even showing yet.)
I can get pushed out because I'm "too much" for some. Then, an observer of me comes suddenly swooping in to "fill my shoes." People are always more accepting of the new one, because their feathers aren't truly ruffled by them. (Yawn) I can count on it every time.
Doctor Fate
Human Relations

Post by Doctor Fate »

RockHarbor wrote: Wed Dec 12, 2018 7:25 pm
TitosBuritoBarn wrote: Wed Dec 12, 2018 4:43 pm Google added new Streetview images of a lot of Omaha from this summer.
Well, I've noticed their satellite maps haven't changed on Google Maps -- unless you're looking at the ones on your phone. (Technically, I was looking at Google Maps on some unfamiliar computer one day, and the satellite views surprisingly matched the ones on my phone. However, if you're looking at Google Maps with the 3D feature, the maps have not changed at all. The new lake/dam up on the Fort isn't even showing yet.)
Yeah, I look at the 3D view of Omaha on my phone and Surface laptop and it's so outdated it doesn't even show construction of the Capitol District.
BRoss
IT Director

Post by BRoss »

CyborgKen wrote: Wed Dec 12, 2018 11:12 pm Yeah, I look at the 3D view of Omaha on my phone and Surface laptop and it's so outdated it doesn't even show construction of the Capitol District.
The 3D is always way behind. I usually just turn it off. If you do, you'll see an update from just a few months ago.
Doctor Fate
Human Relations

Post by Doctor Fate »

HR Paperstacks wrote: Fri Dec 14, 2018 7:19 pm
CyborgKen wrote: Wed Dec 12, 2018 11:12 pm Yeah, I look at the 3D view of Omaha on my phone and Surface laptop and it's so outdated it doesn't even show construction of the Capitol District.
The 3D is always way behind. I usually just turn it off. If you do, you'll see an update from just a few months ago.
Oh ok awesome. I'll try that!
Cermak
Parks & Recreation

Post by Cermak »

Really wish they would update Omaha more, New York City is constantly being updated. Even Des Moines has new downtown Hilton already added I believe this was started after capitol district.
RockHarbor
Planning Board

Post by RockHarbor »

Cermak wrote: Thu Dec 27, 2018 9:23 am Really wish they would update Omaha more, New York City is constantly being updated. Even Des Moines has new downtown Hilton already added I believe this was started after capitol district.
Per your comment today, I did go to Des Moines and look at the new Hilton, and at the new Kum & Go headquarters. They even have them half-constructed. Yeah, what's up with not adding a fully completed Capitol District yet? P.S. Des Moines new Hilton is sharp, yet I like that better for Des Moines than Omaha. I love Omaha's new "oblong glass slab" Marriott. The curtain effect gives it that satisfying chaotic effect on the facade, and there's something stylish about the lengthy slab of glass. It matches Omaha well. Daly always does a great job.
I can get pushed out because I'm "too much" for some. Then, an observer of me comes suddenly swooping in to "fill my shoes." People are always more accepting of the new one, because their feathers aren't truly ruffled by them. (Yawn) I can count on it every time.
Louie
County Board

Post by Louie »

Hmm, good point.
bbinks
Parks & Recreation

Post by bbinks »

How long does it take updated street view yo be available? A Google street view was through my neighborhood in late June, and the old images from 2013 are still what is viewable.
mrsticka
Parks & Recreation

Post by mrsticka »

Google Maps has updated imagery of Omaha and Lincoln from June 2019 on Street View.

As for Google Earth, when I look at past aerials of Omaha from the 80's, I'm quite impressed how the city's grown so rapidly since the 80's. Just think, Omaha looked like a small city in 1984 compared to today. Now it's so spread out to the west.
Cermak
Parks & Recreation

Post by Cermak »

Just noticed last night Google earth finally showing updated images of Omaha on my phone. Images are from this summer June 2019. Omaha looks great with all the new construction going on. I don’t think the Google images on my phone had been updated since 2013 or 2014 it’s been a while. I’m expecting it will be another 3-6 years before we see another update. Capitol District is now included and is perhaps the most impressive new image of updated Omaha on Google Earth.
BRoss
IT Director

Post by BRoss »

I noticed this the other day too. When I first saw it, the area around Heartwood Preserve was updated but most of the rest of the city was not. But now, a lot more has been updated.

It's the 3D version that was updated this time around and that hadn't been updated for a while. But the 2D seems to be updated yearly, although it's been more than a year now.
mrsticka
Parks & Recreation

Post by mrsticka »

I was just looking at 120th and West Center looking east on West Center on Street View and at the top of the hill, I can faintly see the Downtown Omaha skyline. It's weird. I didn't think I could see it from there.
bigredmed1
Parks & Recreation

Post by bigredmed1 »

mrsticka wrote: Wed Mar 18, 2020 1:16 am I was just looking at 120th and West Center looking east on West Center on Street View and at the top of the hill, I can faintly see the Downtown Omaha skyline. It's weird. I didn't think I could see it from there.
I go through that intersection going East some mornings and can see FNBO and the Woodman pretty easily.
Busguy2010
County Board

Post by Busguy2010 »

bigredmed1 wrote: Wed Mar 18, 2020 5:07 am
mrsticka wrote: Wed Mar 18, 2020 1:16 am I was just looking at 120th and West Center looking east on West Center on Street View and at the top of the hill, I can faintly see the Downtown Omaha skyline. It's weird. I didn't think I could see it from there.
I go through that intersection going East some mornings and can see FNBO and the Woodman pretty easily.
There's many odd and very far away locations I've seen First National. My most recent and astonishing location, If I remember correctly, you can see the building from 168th a NW HWS Cleveland Blvd. Imagine if it was 1,000 feet, you could see it from practically everywhere.
bigredmed1
Parks & Recreation

Post by bigredmed1 »

Busguy2010 wrote: Wed Mar 18, 2020 7:39 pm
There's many odd and very far away locations I've seen First National. My most recent and astonishing location, If I remember correctly, you can see the building from 168th a NW HWS Cleveland Blvd. Imagine if it was 1,000 feet, you could see it from practically everywhere.
The further west you get in Douglas County, the more and more odd high spots you encounter and if you are on one that doesn't have any barriers, you can see a lot of down town high rise buildings.
buildomaha
Human Relations

Post by buildomaha »

bigredmed1 wrote: Thu Mar 19, 2020 8:55 am
Busguy2010 wrote: Wed Mar 18, 2020 7:39 pm
The further west you get in Douglas County, the more and more odd high spots you encounter and if you are on one that doesn't have any barriers, you can see a lot of down town high rise buildings.
My favorite spot is about 147th and Maple. Other than the church, there’s almost nothing blocking the view looking East!
#gohawks
TitosBuritoBarn
Planning Board

Post by TitosBuritoBarn »

I remember being able to see it quite clearly from roughly 204th and F.
"Video game violence is not a new problem. Who could forget in the wake of SimCity how children everywhere took up urban planning." - Stephen Colbert
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

You can see it really clear just south of the Blair Airport on the Douglas/Washington county line.