Google Maps & Google Earth

General discussion on all things Omaha.

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

TitosBuritoBarn
Planning Board

Post by TitosBuritoBarn »

I just noticed tonight that Google Maps now has Street View for Omaha as well as a large chunk of eastern Nebraska for that matter. Most of the routes covered are in west Omaha with a few also in south Omaha and downtown. It looks like the photos were taken around spring time of last year...but I can't really tell.
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

TitosBuritoBarn wrote:I just noticed tonight that Google Maps now has Street View for Omaha as well as a large chunk of eastern Nebraska for that matter. Most of the routes covered are in west Omaha with a few also in south Omaha and downtown. It looks like the photos were taken around spring time of last year...but I can't really tell.

I posted this
About two months ago I was turning onto Hwy. 31 in Gretna and as I sat waiting for traffic to pass a car went by with the Google logo on the door.  On to of the car there was about a 4/5 foot pole with a dome on top like you would see a security camera in.  You could see that in the back of the car there was a lot of electronic gear.  I assumed that this was a vehicle that was being used to capture these images.  Who knows if they were working the area or passing through.  Either way it stuck out.  If they had been working the area I am sure it has been seen by others.  Anyone????

in this thread

http://eomahaforums.com/phpBB/viewtopic ... automobile

On Dec 13, 2007.  I have not went and looked at the Google Omaha Photos yet but if this was the time frame it would not have been spring.
For the record  NEBUGEATER does not equal BUGEATER    !!!!!!!
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

Well my neighborhood in Gretna is covered and I can tell you for fact that the photos were taken on a Monday :;):    All the garbage cans are out and Monday is our day!

My neighbor also has some decorative ghosts in there tree in the front yard so it had to be late Oct to very early Nov. around Halloween.  The are pretty timely in getting this up and down for the holidays unlike some people.

The time / temp display on the Husker Sports network building along Hwy 31 indicates that it was around 40 deg.  Sometimes they have stuff on the board that is date or event specific but nothing was captured.

Anyone remember where the swim trials countdown board was located last fall to see what the countdown was when they passed by.  My guess would be that this area was completed all at one time in a few weeks period.
For the record  NEBUGEATER does not equal BUGEATER    !!!!!!!
Uffda
County Board

Post by Uffda »

I think they have been filming more than once.  I checked out Sorensen Parkway  close to my house and the trees have leaves.  Then looked out toward elkhorn and the trees were bare.
Stargazer
County Board

Post by Stargazer »

Cool.  Makes me miss my venerable SHO.
Shoot for the Moon... if you miss, you'll land among the stars.
TitosBuritoBarn
Planning Board

The sign on the side of The Rose Theatre states that The Forgiving Harvest will be playing from September 14-30.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

TitosBuritoBarn wrote:The sign on the side of The Rose Theatre states that The Forgiving Harvest will be playing from September 14-30.
Review: Dramatic opener at the Rose has message families need to hear

Last year!
Stargazer
County Board

Post by Stargazer »

Funny, one would think Google was biased towards west Omaha.

My neighborhood has better coverage than Midtown.
Shoot for the Moon... if you miss, you'll land among the stars.
nativeomahan
County Board

Post by nativeomahan »

My neighborhood (Pacific St.) was photographed in August 2007.  But my office area was in late Oct/early November.  Gas was $2.89 a gallon at the Kwik Shop.   Ahh...the Good Old Days.
ShawJ
Parks & Recreation

Post by ShawJ »

I went back  to the beginning of this thread and used the Microsoft one. The images are up to date now. It looks like the picture were taken in August? They show the construction on MTC, and the demolition of the old UP building. I'm using this version a lot more, due to the clearer images and ability to zoom in more.

MTC:

http://maps.live.com/default.aspx?v=2&F ... &encType=1

The birdseye is a little bit older, looks like last winter:

http://maps.live.com/default.aspx?v=2&F ... &encType=1
SabrinaFaire
Home Owners Association

Google Maps Street View Comes to Omaha

Post by SabrinaFaire »

I know this is new because I was trying to get a picture of our apartment a few weeks ago and it wasn't available. Still isn't for our street but I'm sure it won't take them long to get the whole metro done.

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&hl=en&g ... 11&layer=c
Omababe
Planning Board

Post by Omababe »

TitosBuritoBarn wrote:I just noticed tonight that Google Maps now has Street View for Omaha as well as a large chunk of eastern Nebraska for that matter. Most of the routes covered are in west Omaha with a few also in south Omaha and downtown. It looks like the photos were taken around spring time of last year...but I can't really tell.
This is kinda bizarre.

Nothing of Council Bluffs, except for the expressways, but they cover route 80 all the way into rural Iowa!

They skipped a LOT of urban Omaha, but have Ashland and even South Bend totally covered.

Hmmmmm ... oh well ...
ShawJ
Parks & Recreation

Post by ShawJ »

Nevermind, sorry.
almighty_tuna
City Council

Post by almighty_tuna »

SabrinaFaire
Home Owners Association

Post by SabrinaFaire »

Omababe wrote:
This is kinda bizarre.

Nothing of Council Bluffs, except for the expressways, but they cover route 80 all the way into rural Iowa!

They skipped a LOT of urban Omaha, but have Ashland and even South Bend totally covered.

Hmmmmm ... oh well ...
They'll probably have it soon. When they did Chicago they didn't have my neighborhood for a few weeks. Now you can see my old house with my old car sitting in the driveway.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Google: Much of Omaha now shows up on Street View

http://www.omaha.com/index.php?u_page=1 ... d=10368039
BRYAN REDEMSKE WORLD-HERALD STAFF WRITER wrote:Nothing out of the ordinary, it seems, though what isn't mapped might be worth noting. Most of east Omaha, with the exception of main streets, wasn't recorded.

Street View is Google's ground-level mapping technology, which provides 360-degree views of city streets. A line with directional arrows is overlaid onto the image, in which buildings and other landmarks are easily distinguishable.

In Omaha, downtown and the Old Market, and east-west streets from Q to Harrison were almost completely mapped, as was most everything west of I-680 and south of West Dodge Road.

Judging by gas prices spotted at various stations around the city, mapping was likely carried out in two phases — spring and fall of 2007.

"We try to get a flavor for each city," Google spokeswoman Elaine Filadelfo said. "When we do a new city, we also try to do a lot of the surrounding areas and communities."

A large portion of eastern Nebraska, including Lincoln, Fremont, Beatrice and York, was added along with Omaha. Also mapped were many smaller communities in an area bounded by U.S. Highway 30 to the north, the Missouri River to the east, the Kansas border to the south and U.S. Highway 81 to the west.
TitosBuritoBarn
Planning Board

I was on south I-29 near Glenwood about a week ago and saw one of the Google Streetview cars traveling in the opposite direction. Perhaps we can expect some Streetviews of Council Bluffs in the near future?
UNOstudent
Human Relations

Post by UNOstudent »

Streetview has gone international with locations in France and Japan.
rocknout89
New to the Neighborhood

Post by rocknout89 »

The general idea is pretty cool, but at the same time its somewhat weird and creepy
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Anyone notice that the Qwest Center Omaha and The Woodman tower are both in 3D on the newest version of Google Earth?
nativeomahan
County Board

Post by nativeomahan »

Google still shows the old Aksarben race track buildings.  I wonder when they will get around to updating that area?
Bosco55David
Parks & Recreation

Post by Bosco55David »

Sorry to bump this, but does anyone have an idea when we might see the Street View for Omaha updated? It seems they got downtown pretty well covered but outside that we only have a few streets covered.
TechnicalDisaster
Parks & Recreation

Post by TechnicalDisaster »

You could try:

http://maps.live.com/

Use the "birds eye" tool.  The maps on this site are more up to date than google's.
"This is America.  It is my God given right to be loudly opinionated on issues I am completely ignorant of."
TitosBuritoBarn
Planning Board

I'm going to guess in about another half a year they'll post some more street view pictures.
Bosco55David
Parks & Recreation

Post by Bosco55David »

Thanks for the link Bradley. That is pretty cool.  :mrgreen:
Garrett
County Board

Google Earth 5.0

Post by Garrett »

Google has released the newest version of Google Earth, in which you can dive under the oceans you can even view old aerial images.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GSuJq4UzkIA
Can't wait to see Omaha. :D
OMA-->CHI-->NYC
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

I wish we would have more than 3, 3-D buildings.
Garrett
County Board

Post by Garrett »

And They didn't have any historic pictures of Omaha. :evil:
OMA-->CHI-->NYC
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

I was just looking at the 3D buildings in Omaha and Denver.  Two of Omaha's 3 3D buildings were made by a user  jöran

Has anyone tried to make a 3D building and submit it to google?  Denver has hundreds of 3D buildings and as many city geeks that we have on here, I think we should be able to get more?
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

New 3D buildings on Google Earth

Central Park Plaza and the OWH/Qwest building are now in 3D
S33
County Board

Post by S33 »

I would like to submit my buddies home for 3D view. What are the odds I can pull that off? I even want to insert a little picture of his head or something, lol.
MTO
City Council

Post by MTO »

PREPARE TO BE AMAZED

Harpoon
Human Relations

Post by Harpoon »

Wow, how worthless.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Harpoon wrote:Wow, how worthless.
Some of us like it.  I just wish they would get a lot more finished like Denver.
DTO Luv
City Council

Post by DTO Luv »

Omaha's skyline circa 1984 :P
DTO
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

DTO Luv wrote:Omaha's skyline circa 1984 :P
yeah, its kind of interesting the buildings people are choosing to do and not do.  I figured some people would like to do the historic stuff like the old market and others would go right for first national...
Garrett
County Board

Post by Garrett »

Brad wrote:
DTO Luv wrote:Omaha's skyline circa 1984 :P
yeah, its kind of interesting the buildings people are choosing to do and not do.  I figured some people would like to do the historic stuff like the old market and others would go right for first national...
I've looked around Google Sketchups files and found the creator of Central Park and World herald, Ryan, has recently also created First National, Union Pacific and Mutual of Omaha's main building, so they should be in soon. There are also tons of trashier models of things, particularly First National and Woodmen, and for there are a lot of Junk pages because we get lumped together with Omaha Beach.
OMA-->CHI-->NYC
Garrett
County Board

Post by Garrett »

I could show it to you if I knew how to get a JPG on here. :oops: [/img]
OMA-->CHI-->NYC
S33
County Board

Post by S33 »

Cant you just re-save in different format?
Garrett
County Board

Post by Garrett »

What type of format does it need to be?
OMA-->CHI-->NYC