Bud Superbowl commercial

General discussion on all things Omaha.

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

bigredmed
Parks & Recreation

Bud Superbowl commercial

Post by bigredmed »

The commercial ripping micro beers seems to have hit a nerve. I like both, and think it was funny.

Thoughts?
Coyote
City Council

Re: Bud Superbowl commercial

Post by Coyote »

bigredmed wrote:The commercial ripping micro beers seems to have hit a nerve.  I like both, and think it was funny.  

Thoughts?
From most of the Micro brew people I know, they thought it was hilarious that Bud would actually try to market themselves as THE Beechwood aged beer. I think it shows that Bud is grasping for ways to sell itself, knowing that Micro Brews are slowly eroding their share of the market. especially with session beers making their way into the mainstream.
jessep28
Planning Board

Post by jessep28 »

Meanwhile, InBev, Anheuser Busch's parent company, has been acquiring micro breweries.
Verbum Domini Manet in Aeternum
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Did Budweiser misfire with its anti-craft beer Super Bowl ad?
The apparent attack on craft beer comes as the King of Beers has seen its crown become more tarnished. Young drinkers have been turning away from the brand for more than 25 years. In 2013, the company shipped 16 million barrels of Budweiser, while overall craft beer shipments came in at 16.1 million barrels.

On social media, craft beer lovers, not surprisingly, took aim at Budweiser – noting the defensive nature of the ad.
bigredmed
Parks & Recreation

Post by bigredmed »

I do like Bud and the mainstream beers if I am going to have more than 1. Craft beers are often to hoppy, and those that avoid this pitfall seem a little precious.

Also, some seem to be given charity points to aid their rating. Certified Evil by Lucky Bucket is a good example. Competent Stout, but nothing more. Frankly Storz makes a better Stout, and Budweiser makes a Stout that could compete with Smithwick's or Murphy's. Yet, many in the beer crowd will lose control of themselves if you dare state that it is not the best ever, and to even mention the B-word is sacrilege.

At least Bud and Miller are what they are.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Craft Beer made a spoof of the Bud commercial:

[BBvideo 560,340][/BBvideo]

Here is the bud version

[BBvideo 560,340][/BBvideo]
Seth
Parks & Recreation

Post by Seth »

As someone who enjoys the wide variety of craft beers we know have available, as well as a Bud now and then, I found the ad pretty amusing. It's been interesting watching the big brewers, especially A-B, try to stay competitive in a fast-changing market. Their rip-offs of craft beer styles have been the worst, in my opinion.

I also have found it interesting how PBR has guided their brand into new relevance lately. They've acheived new popularity by embracing their blue-collar mass-produced image, not trying to trump up some "hard-crafted" backstory.

At home, I drink about equal amounts of cheap beer and craft beer. My cheap beer of choice lately is Hamms. It's as good as PBR or Bud, but way cheaper.