Legalizing Marijuana

General discussion on all things Omaha.

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

GRANDPASMUCKER
Human Relations

Re: Pot

Post by GRANDPASMUCKER »

Big Red said "8. Colorado has a bad reputation in western Nebraska for criminality (ask anyone about Keith County's need to bring in Sheriff's deputies and state patrol to keep the rapes and drunken |expletive| down to a dull roar at Big Mac during the summer holidays)."

I don't think Colorado people are any more criminal then Nebraskans and anyone that does is nuts. I do think that in the last 20 years the camping crowd has gotten a lot rougher but that's everywhere. I also think that its pathetic and sad to hear stories of the State Patrol and Police jacking people around with Colorado plates. That activity is just like race targeting except its state targeting and its just very bad public relations for the State of Nebraska.
MadMartin8
Planning Board

Post by MadMartin8 »

S33 wrote:I travel the I80 corridor through Nebraska almost every week, and have been doing so for a couple years.

I can say with absolute certainty that they clearly target cars with Colorado, Washington, Arizona, and California plates. Those are also the vehicles stopped at the side of the road with all their belongings scattered on the shoulders.

It's sickening.
I wish I could say I was surprised.
No posts exist for this topic
GetUrban
Planning Board

Post by GetUrban »

bigredmed wrote: 2.  The Feds forced Nebraska to set these little micro counties up as a condition of statehood ("Congressional Counties") that are cute, and sort of a New Englander's wet dream of a county, but they are so small that they can barely support a county government on normal terms.
Where did you find that info? I always thought county boundaries were determined by each state and were based on how far you could ride a horse to the courthouse and back in one day, or on the population density (ie. Cherry county) Cherry county did have two court houses at one time, I believe.
He said "They are some big, ugly red brick buildings"
...and then they were gone.
Coyote
City Council

Re: Legalizing Marijuana

Post by Coyote »

Petition to legalize medical marijuana launched in Nebraska
To get their proposal on the 2020 ballot, the group would have to collect signatures from 10 percent of the state’s registered voters, or about 122,000 people.
Omaha Cowboy
The Don

Post by Omaha Cowboy »

122,000 signatures. Hmmm..

It’ll be interesting to see if this does make the ballot in 2020...

Ciao..LiO...Peace
Go Cowboys!
ChadJK
Parks & Recreation

Post by ChadJK »

If you haven't sign the petition yet to get it on the 2022 ballot, then today is your last day. Here are the places I know you can sign today:
  • Sarpy county DMV signing event 4502 Maass Rd, Bellevue, NE 68133 8AM - 4PM
  • Wine, Beer & Spirits 3435 Oak View Dr, Omaha, NE 68144 9AM - 8PM
  • Shannon’s last minute signing 2511 N 150 Ave, Omaha, NE 1PM - 4PM
  • Last Chance Medical Marijuana Signing 15708 Redwood St, Omaha, NE 68136 4PM – 7PM
  • Drive-up petition signing from 4:30 PM to 8:00 PM at 11745 S 111th St in Papillion
Busguy2010
County Board

Post by Busguy2010 »

ChadJK wrote: Wed Jul 06, 2022 1:37 pm If you haven't sign the petition yet to get it on the 2022 ballot, then today is your last day. Here are the places I know you can sign today:
  • Sarpy county DMV signing event 4502 Maass Rd, Bellevue, NE 68133 8AM - 4PM
  • Wine, Beer & Spirits 3435 Oak View Dr, Omaha, NE 68144 9AM - 8PM
  • Shannon’s last minute signing 2511 N 150 Ave, Omaha, NE 1PM - 4PM
  • Last Chance Medical Marijuana Signing 15708 Redwood St, Omaha, NE 68136 4PM – 7PM
  • Drive-up petition signing from 4:30 PM to 8:00 PM at 11745 S 111th St in Papillion
I was wonderin' about this... I created a thread a couple years ago titled "Cannabis Discussion" and it seems to have totally disappeared [insert side-eye].

I signed it last time, and I'd sign it again, but none of those locations are remotely near me. Interesting that they are all in the 'burbs.
ChadJK
Parks & Recreation

Post by ChadJK »

Busguy2010 wrote: Wed Jul 06, 2022 4:02 pm I signed it last time, and I'd sign it again, but none of those locations are remotely near me. Interesting that they are all in the 'burbs.
I'm sure there are more locations. Someone mentioned that many of the "head shops" around town have petitions you can sign. Also, you can probably check "Nebraskans for Medical Marijuana" on social media and find even more locations.
Busguy2010
County Board

Post by Busguy2010 »

ChadJK wrote: Wed Jul 06, 2022 4:12 pm I'm sure there are more locations. Someone mentioned that many of the "head shops" around town have petitions you can sign. Also, you can probably check "Nebraskans for Medical Marijuana" on social media and find even more locations.
I'm not gonna do it this time. I got too much going on today. Plus it was a bit deflating when the last time the petition had more than enough signatures, and yet it still got shot down.
Busguy2010
County Board

Post by Busguy2010 »

I have to say I've smelled some good weed driving in a crowd of cars in broad daylight a few times in the last week... I've long since quit using marijuana, and it is troubling how openly people puff puff pass while driving. I think its mostly kids like 16-22 or so... I always wonder if this is a contributing factor in how crappy people drive. I remember being in Colorado and thinking "man these people aren't really paying attention", and I'm starting to see more of that here.

I'm all for legalizing marijuana, but I do think there's a lax perception about it. As in Dave Chappelle's terms, "Weed is a background substance. You can smoke some herb and still function. You ain't crisp, but you'll function." I agree to a certain degree, but I know people who are never ever sober not for a second of their waking life, driving, going to work, taking care of their children, etc. And they believe its all okay because its "just" weed.
nebport5
Planning Board

Post by nebport5 »

Busguy2010 wrote: Tue Aug 16, 2022 4:39 pm I have to say I've smelled some good weed driving in a crowd of cars in broad daylight a few times in the last week... I've long since quit using marijuana, and it is troubling how openly people puff puff pass while driving. I think its mostly kids like 16-22 or so... I always wonder if this is a contributing factor in how crappy people drive. I remember being in Colorado and thinking "man these people aren't really paying attention", and I'm starting to see more of that here.
Marijuana can be a factor sure but the perpetual digression in our culture of short attention spans(especially among the youth)predates marijuana legalization. Consider the growth of cell phones, social media, and inescapable assault advertising. I can also assure you Colorado had terrible drivers well before 2012.
Busguy2010 wrote: Tue Aug 16, 2022 4:39 pmI'm all for legalizing marijuana, but I do think there's a lax perception about it. As in Dave Chappelle's terms, "Weed is a background substance. You can smoke some herb and still function. You ain't crisp, but you'll function." I agree to a certain degree, but I know people who are never ever sober not for a second of their waking life, driving, going to work, taking care of their children, etc. And they believe its all okay because its "just" weed.
I hear what you're saying and would add that this is probably more true for people abusing pharmaceuticals. Still, marijuana use isn't quite as black and white due to numerous factors including and especially, plant genetics, human genetics and the quality of bud. I'm not advocating for the use of marijuana while driving, however, there are a number of strains that can actually make you more focused and alert. Also there are an ever growing number of marijuana based products that are effective for their intended use without being psychoactive. And whether it's weed, pharmaceuticals or alcohol, humans will continue to abuse all three whether they are legal or not.
S.O.Boy
Human Relations

Post by S.O.Boy »

Busguy2010 wrote: Tue Aug 16, 2022 4:39 pm
I'm all for legalizing marijuana, but I do think there's a lax perception about it. As in Dave Chappelle's terms, "Weed is a background substance. You can smoke some herb and still function. You ain't crisp, but you'll function." I agree to a certain degree, but I know people who are never ever sober not for a second of their waking life, driving, going to work, taking care of their children, etc. And they believe its all okay because its "just" weed.
Who scares you more the next day the person that got high last night or the person that is hung over. And I have seen many people who are never ever sober not for a second of their waking life, driving, going to work, taking care of their children, etc. And they believe its all okay because its "just" beer.
Busguy2010
County Board

Post by Busguy2010 »

S.O.Boy wrote: Tue Aug 16, 2022 10:12 pm Who scares you more the next day the person that got high last night or the person that is hung over. And I have seen many people who are never ever sober not for a second of their waking life, driving, going to work, taking care of their children, etc. And they believe its all okay because its "just" beer.
Don't get me wrong SOB, I've always been an advocate for marijuana being legal. As legal and as readily available as alcohol. Its just that in the last two weeks or so, I encountered multiple vehicles openly puffing weed out of their window when I was just trying to go to work. I equate it to watching someone drinking a shooter while sitting next to me at a light and having them wink at me, like "don't worry about it".

But to answer your question, both... I've had my fair share of hangovers and weedeovers. They really do affect you in quite similar ways.

Again, I like the idea of marijuana being used openly by those who choose to do so, on their own private property, or at a park for the afternoon or whatever. I'm just pointing out that I've been smelling it quite often during my commute. And I'll add that whenever I have identified the vehicle, I've noticed that they aren't driving quite right.
Busguy2010
County Board

Post by Busguy2010 »

nebport5 wrote: Tue Aug 16, 2022 8:52 pm Still, marijuana use isn't quite as black and white due to numerous factors including and especially, plant genetics, human genetics and the quality of bud. I'm not advocating for the use of marijuana while driving, however, there are a number of strains that can actually make you more focused and alert. Also there are an ever growing number of marijuana based products that are effective for their intended use without being psychoactive.
I'm well aware of that.... I just have skepticism about the real efficacy of said strains. Don't get me wrong, I've used a lot of cannabis in my time from about age 17-24, and I was a genuine wake-and-baker from about 20-22. I got tired of being high all the time, so I tried to find a medicinal aspect out of it, but no matter CBD, indica, sativa, I never felt anything was there for me other than getting high. In essence, the cannabidiol does have health benefits that I recognize and have tried to reap, but I've never found a way to use it and not get high. I'd love if it could just be a supplement that I can real quick buy at Natty G's. Have the benefits of cannabis, but not get high, not have to show my ID, etc.
nebport5
Planning Board

Post by nebport5 »

Busguy2010 wrote: Tue Aug 16, 2022 11:35 pm
S.O.Boy wrote: Tue Aug 16, 2022 10:12 pm Who scares you more the next day the person that got high last night or the person that is hung over. And I have seen many people who are never ever sober not for a second of their waking life, driving, going to work, taking care of their children, etc. And they believe its all okay because its "just" beer.
Don't get me wrong SOB, I've always been an advocate for marijuana being legal. As legal and as readily available as alcohol. Its just that in the last two weeks or so, I encountered multiple vehicles openly puffing weed out of their window when I was just trying to go to work. I equate it to watching someone drinking a shooter while sitting next to me at a light and having them wink at me, like "don't worry about it".

But to answer your question, both... I've had my fair share of hangovers and weedeovers. They really do affect you in quite similar ways.

Again, I like the idea of marijuana being used openly by those who choose to do so, on their own private property, or at a park for the afternoon or whatever. I'm just pointing out that I've been smelling it quite often during my commute. And I'll add that whenever I have identified the vehicle, I've noticed that they aren't driving quite right.

You lost me there. I've used weed to overcome a hangover but never had a "weedeover".
nebport5
Planning Board

Post by nebport5 »

Busguy2010 wrote: Wed Aug 17, 2022 12:12 am
nebport5 wrote: Tue Aug 16, 2022 8:52 pm Still, marijuana use isn't quite as black and white due to numerous factors including and especially, plant genetics, human genetics and the quality of bud. I'm not advocating for the use of marijuana while driving, however, there are a number of strains that can actually make you more focused and alert. Also there are an ever growing number of marijuana based products that are effective for their intended use without being psychoactive.
I'm well aware of that.... I just have skepticism about the real efficacy of said strains. Don't get me wrong, I've used a lot of cannabis in my time from about age 17-24, and I was a genuine wake-and-baker from about 20-22. I got tired of being high all the time, so I tried to find a medicinal aspect out of it, but no matter CBD, indica, sativa, I never felt anything was there for me other than getting high. In essence, the cannabidiol does have health benefits that I recognize and have tried to reap, but I've never found a way to use it and not get high. I'd love if it could just be a supplement that I can real quick buy at Natty G's. Have the benefits of cannabis, but not get high, not have to show my ID, etc.

One thing I can say about having been a smoker in Omaha and then Colorado is there's a big difference between the black market and one that's regulated. I have some issues with Colorado's regulation as it pertains to strains. However, when most people are buying black market weed they are just looking for something good where as in a dispensary bud tenders are asking you about the effects you are looking for(and are not looking for). The point being having a better idea of what you're buying can yield much better results for the intended effects such as will this make me sleepy? or is this good for pain and inflammation? I can buy products that I can use throughout my work day without getting high that can give me energy, relieve inflammation and reduce or eliminate pain. In fact I keep a transdermal CBD pen on me at all times in the event I get a visual aura indicating an impending migraine. I use the pen and by the time my eyes clear up I do not get the wretched hangover like pain I would otherwise. I also do not use any pharmaceuticals for pain such as Tylenol, Ibuprofen and etc.

The Natty G's in Colorado do have a whole selection of CBD based products yet they are expensive and are all hemp derived. Not so in Omaha? I'm lerry of hemp based CBD products because they are not regulated and most of it is garbage. Also the science of CBD supports that it's efficacy is much more therapeutic with a higher THC content as opposed to the very minimal amount allowed by the farm bill that legalized hemp. I am curious if you or anyone has used any of the Delta-8 products that are sold in Omaha? Good? Bad? Waste of money, etc?
Louie
County Board

Post by Louie »

nebport5 wrote: Wed Aug 17, 2022 9:03 am
Busguy2010 wrote: Tue Aug 16, 2022 11:35 pm

You lost me there. I've used weed to overcome a hangover but never had a "weedeover".
Same.
Louie
County Board

Post by Louie »

nebport5 wrote: Wed Aug 17, 2022 9:33 am
Busguy2010 wrote: Wed Aug 17, 2022 12:12 am

One thing I can say about having been a smoker in Omaha and then Colorado is there's a big difference between the black market and one that's regulated. I have some issues with Colorado's regulation as it pertains to strains. However, when most people are buying black market weed they are just looking for something good where as in a dispensary bud tenders are asking you about the effects you are looking for(and are not looking for). The point being having a better idea of what you're buying can yield much better results for the intended effects such as will this make me sleepy? or is this good for pain and inflammation? I can buy products that I can use throughout my work day without getting high that can give me energy, relieve inflammation and reduce or eliminate pain. In fact I keep a transdermal CBD pen on me at all times in the event I get a visual aura indicating an impending migraine. I use the pen and by the time my eyes clear up I do not get the wretched hangover like pain I would otherwise. I also do not use any pharmaceuticals for pain such as Tylenol, Ibuprofen and etc.

The Natty G's in Colorado do have a whole selection of CBD based products yet they are expensive and are all hemp derived. Not so in Omaha? I'm lerry of hemp based CBD products because they are not regulated and most of it is garbage. Also the science of CBD supports that it's efficacy is much more therapeutic with a higher THC content as opposed to the very minimal amount allowed by the farm bill that legalized hemp. I am curious if you or anyone has used any of the Delta-8 products that are sold in Omaha? Good? Bad? Waste of money, etc?
Regarding Delta 8, it will get you high, but it has a cap to how high you can get.
Busguy2010
County Board

Post by Busguy2010 »

Louie wrote: Wed Aug 17, 2022 10:59 am
nebport5 wrote: Wed Aug 17, 2022 9:03 am You lost me there. I've used weed to overcome a hangover but never had a "weedeover".
Same.
I honestly don't know anybody that smokes that hasn't smoked too much and woken up still fked up. I've reached the Twilight zone many a time. It's a scary place to be. And keeps you from really falling asleep, so I don't know how y'all never had a weedover :shrug:
Linkin5
County Board

Post by Linkin5 »

I enjoy Delta 8 because it doesn’t bring the anxiety that weed would bring. Nice to take a gummy at night when you’re all done with everything.
Busguy2010
County Board

Post by Busguy2010 »

Louie wrote: Wed Aug 17, 2022 11:01 am
nebport5 wrote: Wed Aug 17, 2022 9:33 am I am curious if you or anyone has used any of the Delta-8 products that are sold in Omaha? Good? Bad? Waste of money, etc?
Regarding Delta 8, it will get you high, but it has a cap to how high you can get.
Now keep in mind, I haven't been an avid pot smoker now for several years. I only did it like once a year for the last 6 years I think, and now I haven't done it at all for the last couple years, with the exception of that one time I bought some delta 8 from 50 shades. I'm definitely a lightweight now, but I got a joint from there and I'm not lying, it took me three occasions to finish it and I got so high each time. That's why I can't smoke weed anymore. Something suddenly changed in my body to where I can't tolerate it anymore. I've always wondered what it was that changed, and I've heard many stories of this happening to other people. Beats me though... I thought it was pretty cool that 50 shades, although delta 8, even exists in Nebraska. It actually is weed. It was a one off for me though I think. I might only smoke weed one more time in my life when Nebraska or Iowa get actual dispensaries.
Busguy2010
County Board

Post by Busguy2010 »

Linkin5 wrote: Wed Aug 17, 2022 12:00 pm I enjoy Delta 8 because it doesn’t bring the anxiety that weed would bring. Nice to take a gummy at night when you’re all done with everything.
It still freaked me out. The anxiety is huge for me. Happens every time. Heart racing, freaking out, can't even function. Its crazy, hard to describe. And it sucks cause I used to really enjoy imbibing
Garrett
Planning Board

Post by Garrett »

I’ll say if I ever got stoned and decided to drive I would be going 5 miles per hour down dodge white knuckling the whole time.
OMA-->CHI-->NYC
Busguy2010
County Board

Post by Busguy2010 »

Garrett wrote: Wed Aug 17, 2022 12:58 pm I’ll say if I ever got stoned and decided to drive I would be going 5 miles per hour down dodge white knuckling the whole time.
Haha, you're not wrong, but that is the embodiment of why it upsets me off so much when I see and smell people casually smoking herb while driving. Like bro, I have somewhere I need to be, do ya mind :sly:

The bottom line is people who are extremely aggressive, and those whom are extremely defensive are both equally hazardous. Just because a high driver might be much less likely to make aggressive moves doesn't mean they're not a hazard. They will be less likely to pick up on the vibe of the group of cars around them, won't keep up, will get in the way, etc... And that could cause an accident. I know, I did a study.

Driving high isn't okay just cause it makes you more docile.
nebport5
Planning Board

Post by nebport5 »

Busguy2010 wrote: Wed Aug 17, 2022 11:40 am
Louie wrote: Wed Aug 17, 2022 10:59 am
nebport5 wrote: Wed Aug 17, 2022 9:03 am You lost me there. I've used weed to overcome a hangover but never had a "weedeover".
Same.
I honestly don't know anybody that smokes that hasn't smoked too much and woken up still fked up. I've reached the Twilight zone many a time. It's a scary place to be. And keeps you from really falling asleep, so I don't know how y'all never had a weedover :shrug:

I've had bad trips before but the beauty of CBD is that it will bring you back and balance your high. I never smoke if I don't have CBD around. I also will not smoke if I'm not reasonably sure of the strain genetics.
S.O.Boy
Human Relations

Post by S.O.Boy »

Garrett wrote: Wed Aug 17, 2022 12:58 pm I’ll say if I ever got stoned and decided to drive I would be going 5 miles per hour down dodge white knuckling the whole time.
I have seen that driver.
Busguy2010
County Board

Post by Busguy2010 »

It happened again today. 72nd around 7pm. Dude in front of me obviously smoking weed, and was really slow off the jump at a stoplight. Caused me to miss the light. I can't make this up. It is going to be every day. I just want to see a small amount of decency out of people. Like at least if you're going to drive high, smoke THEN drive. So that way at the very least it might be up in the air (pun intended) whether its you're high, looking down at your phone, or just an old lady. I'm sick of it. Its not even the weed itself that's the problem for me, its just the lack of get up and go these people have. Like come on man, the only right time to smoke weed is at the end of the day when you're in for the night getting ready to go to f-n sleep! And I'm pretty reasonable too, like I'm not gonna blame a mf for smoking, then deciding to go on a McDonalds run at 11pm or whatever, but in rush hour traffic, you gotta be kiddin'. We don't have enough time for you to be off in lala land. I'm frustrated by how often I'm seeing it now. Like why should I accept missing a light and then almost being late to where I need to be because someone in front of me is knowingly and openly smoking weed behind the wheel? Just doesn't make sense.

Deep breath, end of rant.
EricHaley
Human Relations

Post by EricHaley »

Busguy2010 wrote: Fri Aug 19, 2022 12:44 am It happened again today. 72nd around 7pm. Dude in front of me obviously smoking weed, and was really slow off the jump at a stoplight. Caused me to miss the light. I can't make this up. It is going to be every day. I just want to see a small amount of decency out of people. Like at least if you're going to drive high, smoke THEN drive. So that way at the very least it might be up in the air (pun intended) whether its you're high, looking down at your phone, or just an old lady. I'm sick of it. Its not even the weed itself that's the problem for me, its just the lack of get up and go these people have. Like come on man, the only right time to smoke weed is at the end of the day when you're in for the night getting ready to go to f-n sleep! And I'm pretty reasonable too, like I'm not gonna blame a mf for smoking, then deciding to go on a McDonalds run at 11pm or whatever, but in rush hour traffic, you gotta be kiddin'. We don't have enough time for you to be off in lala land. I'm frustrated by how often I'm seeing it now. Like why should I accept missing a light and then almost being late to where I need to be because someone in front of me is knowingly and openly smoking weed behind the wheel? Just doesn't make sense.

Deep breath, end of rant.
I imagine people are becoming more brazen about it because CBD is now legal and smells exactly the same. Add that to the fact that there currently isn't an easy/reliable way, other than a Drug Recognition Expert, to show someone is impaired at that time they were pulled over. I wonder how CBD has changed the way law enforcement handles weed since smell as a probable cause is probably off the table?
nativeomahan
County Board

Post by nativeomahan »

Wow. I come at this whole issue as a retired guy who used to be a state prosecutor who handled more than my share of files involving drug charges. I have never had a need (real or perceived) to use pot for medicinal purposes.
I got high back in high school and college on more than a few weekends. Sometimes I really enjoyed the experience; other times it was more of a “meh”. I never believed the arguments against pot that it was a gateway drug. I never “graduated” to anything stronger or more toxic.
As a prosecutor I took an oath to uphold the laws of the state, whether I liked them or not. But my job also required me to “seek justice” and ruining some kid’s life because he or she and their friends collectively got caught with more than an ounce of pot was not “justice” in my eyes. My bosses felt basically the same way. I felt the same way about 20 year olds arrested at a MIP party. There were bigger fish to fry, like people driving drunk and endangering lives.
As I got older my opinion as to legalization mellowed just a bit. I always believed that decriminalization of small amounts was the way to go. I never signed the petitions to put legalization on the Nebraska ballot because no one ever asked me to sign such a petition, but I would have signed it if asked. Politicians like Gov. Ricketts just drive me batschit crazy with their holier than thou attitudes. Fools like him are one reason I would have signed the petition.
Recently my husband and I went to Denver for vacation. His intention was to tour a marijuana dispensary. But we quickly soured on the idea after seeing and smelling so much pot being used by people in downtown Denver that might as well have been poster children for why marijuana should NOT be legalized. Just total zombies. Panhandling everywhere, with signs saying “I need money to buy a joint.” Sort of funny, but mostly pathetic.
If the measure makes the ballot I will support it because law enforcement here has more important things to do. But just as with alcohol, it can be misused and can seriously damage lives. It’s ultimately up to adults being personally responsible for the choices they make,
Cermak
Parks & Recreation

Post by Cermak »

Like most teenagers I tried it in high school got high a few times but to me it wasn't anything great, I was more interested in other stuff in high school than getting wasted all the time. But I know some people love it, it's just not for me. I do think if you get caught with small amounts the penalty should be similar to a parking ticket and not ruin your life. I also think weed could have long term consequences for some people. Like all the pot heads walking around DT Denver is probably an indication the problems that come with long term marijuana use for some. I would keep it illegal in Nebraska. But as long as someone has only small amounts the penalty would not be severe.
Busguy2010
County Board

Post by Busguy2010 »

I think you should be able to get it legally and smoke it freely and openly on your own property just like you do in Colorado, but I think there should still be some pretty harsh penalties for smoking it in public, and especially while driving under the influence of it. $500 fine for smoking in public and $1,000 for smoking and driving and loss of license for 6 month or something like that. And actually enforce it. And BTW, today when I was getting ready to back out of the driveway, the car I had to wait for to pass by reeked of weed.
nebport5
Planning Board

Post by nebport5 »

nativeomahan wrote: Fri Aug 19, 2022 12:24 pm Wow. I come at this whole issue as a retired guy who used to be a state prosecutor who handled more than my share of files involving drug charges. I have never had a need (real or perceived) to use pot for medicinal purposes.
I got high back in high school and college on more than a few weekends. Sometimes I really enjoyed the experience; other times it was more of a “meh”. I never believed the arguments against pot that it was a gateway drug. I never “graduated” to anything stronger or more toxic.
As a prosecutor I took an oath to uphold the laws of the state, whether I liked them or not. But my job also required me to “seek justice” and ruining some kid’s life because he or she and their friends collectively got caught with more than an ounce of pot was not “justice” in my eyes. My bosses felt basically the same way. I felt the same way about 20 year olds arrested at a MIP party. There were bigger fish to fry, like people driving drunk and endangering lives.
As I got older my opinion as to legalization mellowed just a bit. I always believed that decriminalization of small amounts was the way to go. I never signed the petitions to put legalization on the Nebraska ballot because no one ever asked me to sign such a petition, but I would have signed it if asked. Politicians like Gov. Ricketts just drive me batschit crazy with their holier than thou attitudes. Fools like him are one reason I would have signed the petition.
Recently my husband and I went to Denver for vacation. His intention was to tour a marijuana dispensary. But we quickly soured on the idea after seeing and smelling so much pot being used by people in downtown Denver that might as well have been poster children for why marijuana should NOT be legalized. Just total zombies. Panhandling everywhere, with signs saying “I need money to buy a joint.” Sort of funny, but mostly pathetic.
If the measure makes the ballot I will support it because law enforcement here has more important things to do. But just as with alcohol, it can be misused and can seriously damage lives. It’s ultimately up to adults being personally responsible for the choices they make,

Were you up and down 16th St? It's by far the worst for panhandling and people strung out on something. Downtown and especially 16th St is an overpriced tourist trap. Most of the people in Downtown Denver smoking weed are tourists who are visiting from somewhere without legalization. The panhandlers are more likely on meth, opioids or alcohol, but will take anything they can get. Local potheads mostly steer clear of downtown. Most of the rest of Denver is not indicative of what you saw downtown. Furthermore, much of the issues in Downtown Denver have much more to do with gentrification and that comes with it and are not directly correlated to marijuana legalization. Did legalization contribute to an influx of people and Denver growing too fast for it's own good? Absolutely. However, I know a great amount of Denver transplants who don't smoke weed and instead moved here for the weather, the mountains and or to escape the realities of where they're from. I look at IDs on a daily basis and there are not too many from around the country that I don't see on a regular basis. Tourists stick out regardless of where they're from. The most frequently seen transplant IDs would include; Texas, California, New York and Ohio, though Florida easily takes the top spot. Yes, many people from these states may smoke weed, but can you image why so many others who don't would want to flee those states?
ricko
Parks & Recreation

Post by ricko »

nativeomahan wrote: Fri Aug 19, 2022 12:24 pm Wow. I come at this whole issue as a retired guy who used to be a state prosecutor who handled more than my share of files involving drug charges. I have never had a need (real or perceived) to use pot for medicinal purposes.
I was probably the last holdout in my social group to smoke pot---not until the Summer between my Freshman and Sophomore year in college. Back then, almost everyone my age had at least tried it, I even smoked with a woman who was studying to be a nun. It was cheap ($15-25 an ounce) and it was everywhere. Did it make me a better person? Probably not. I really think it should be legalized if for no other reason than that it eliminates the criminal element from the trade, and it will be a great tax revenue generator. I think there will always be people who are responsible and irresponsible with respect to any psychoactive substance, whether it be pot, mushrooms, molly or booze. Those zoned-out guys you saw wandering around downtown would probably have been on another chemical if it weren't for pot. Frankly, I'd rather they be hight on weed than just about any other drug; and Denver, like Portland, Seattle, Austin, San Francisco, and probably a few other places have been magnets for aimless young people for quite some time now. I'm old enough to remember when S.F. was hippie central, (ca. 66-72) and everyone was smoking pot and doing acid. It was a very chill place for a few years, but then a rough crowd of people selling speed (meth) and heroin (opioids) ruined that whole scene, and the crime rate went up (mostly the biker crowd). A very different group of people moved in and took over. When I look West from my balcony, I can see the Blue Ridge Mountains in the distance, on the other side of which is a state (W.Va.)that is estimated to have around 10% of its population addicted to some illegal drug, or so I've read. These problems are symptoms of much larger issues, and this is something that needs to be seriously addressed. Frankly, I think Income inequality has a lot to do with where we find ourselves, and pot is the least of our worries.
Last edited by ricko on Fri Aug 19, 2022 10:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
nebport5
Planning Board

Post by nebport5 »

Busguy2010 wrote: Fri Aug 19, 2022 9:51 pm I think you should be able to get it legally and smoke it freely and openly on your own property just like you do in Colorado, but I think there should still be some pretty harsh penalties for smoking it in public, and especially while driving under the influence of it. $500 fine for smoking in public and $1,000 for smoking and driving and loss of license for 6 month or something like that. And actually enforce it. And BTW, today when I was getting ready to back out of the driveway, the car I had to wait for to pass by reeked of weed.
In Colorado, being under the influence of marijuana and driving is a DUI just the same as alcohol. It's also not legal to consume marijuana in public in Denver. That said, you really have to *F* it up to get pulled over for being under the influence because the police are dealing with so much other crazy shat. Go to the suburbs or a small town at night, on the other hand, and expect to be pulled over sober.
S.O.Boy
Human Relations

Post by S.O.Boy »

I expect Nebraska to be one of the last states to legalize it,
nebport5
Planning Board

Post by nebport5 »

S.O.Boy wrote: Sat Aug 20, 2022 5:13 pm I expect Nebraska to be one of the last states to legalize it,
I concur.
bigredmed1
Parks & Recreation

Post by bigredmed1 »

The New England Journal punished a paper in January about British Columbia's pot impaired driving. Twice as many overall than was expected and worrying is that many of these people were seriously intoxicated. The number of these was twice the rate of prior to legalization.

Given the under-enforcement of Marijuana violations reported above, I would discount CO's experience. BC is actually concerned about the overall intoxication level and the number of severely intoxicated people arrested for DUI.
VOL. 386 NO. 2
nativeomahan
County Board

Post by nativeomahan »

This is just like so much else in life. Pot. Booze. Gambling. Caffeine. Food. Sex(porn). Online forums (lol). I was taught what I consider the “other” Golden Rule in life: in all things, moderation. It’s a tough rule to live by, but a good one.
bigredmed1
Parks & Recreation

Post by bigredmed1 »

nativeomahan wrote: Sun Aug 21, 2022 1:45 pm This is just like so much else in life. Pot. Booze. Gambling. Caffeine. Food. Sex(porn). Online forums (lol). I was taught what I consider the “other” Golden Rule in life: in all things, moderation. It’s a tough rule to live by, but a good one.
Always a good plan, it just seems that from the NEJM article, a lot of people struggle with it when it comes to pot.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Medical marijuana petitions fail to qualify for November ballot
‘There’s no giving up,’ said one advocate, pledging to try again

Two initiatives to legalize medical marijuana failed to qualify for the November ballot, the Nebraska Secretary of State’s Office announced Monday. The effort, led by Nebraskans for Medical Marijuana, needed to collect valid signatures of 86,776 voters and collect signatures of at least 5% of registered voters in 38 of the state’s 93 counties for its two petitions.

Both petitions were short

The Secretary of State’s Office said Monday that the effort — which used volunteer petition circulators — fell short on both counts and on both petitions. A petition to legalize marijuana collected 77,843 signatures and qualified in 26 counties. A companion petition to set up regulation of medical marijuana turned in 77,119 valid signatures and qualified in 27 counties. Crista Eggers, who coordinated the signature-gathering campaign for Nebraskans for Medical Marijuana, said if the group determines the failure is valid, it will immediately begin a new petition drive for the 2024 ballot. “There is no giving up,” said Eggers, whose son, Colton, suffers up to 100 epileptic seizures a day. She had hoped to be able to legally obtain cannabis treatments for the 7-year-old.

Plenty of signatures in 2020

It was a bitter defeat for the medical marijuana group, which gathered more than enough signatures two years ago to qualify a single initiative for the ballot. But it was knocked off the ballot by the Nebraska Supreme Court, which ruled that the ballot language violated the state’s “single subject” rule. This year, Nebraskans for Medical Marijuana attempted to gather the required signatures using mostly volunteers after a major donor died and they were unable to afford professional, paid circulators. Officials with the group had expressed doubts that they could qualify, despite a last-minute rush of signatures, using only volunteers.