Home Owners Association

This is what we need in omaha

Post by koberaptor »

Put one up on 72nd and dodge, which is close to the university
skinzfan23
City Council

Re: This is what we need in omaha

Post by skinzfan23 »

If the Crossroad's development ever comes to fruition, something like this could be very useful, especially for that wide, busy intersection.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Speaking of 9th Street Tavern's poor access... How about a figure 8 style thing like this over Dodge and Douglas....
skinzfan23
City Council

Post by skinzfan23 »

Brad wrote:Speaking of 9th Street Tavern's poor access... How about a figure 8 style thing like this over Dodge and Douglas....
Something needs to be done there. I am always worried when walking from the Old Market to a Creighton game that a pedestrian is going to get hit, because the cars coming west on Dodge off the interstate don't slow down and run the red lights often.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

skinzfan23 wrote:
Brad wrote:Speaking of 9th Street Tavern's poor access... How about a figure 8 style thing like this over Dodge and Douglas....
Something needs to be done there.  I am always worried when walking from the Old Market to a Creighton game that a pedestrian is going to get hit, because the cars coming west on Dodge off the interstate don't slow down and run the red lights often.
Exactly.
jessep28
Planning Board

Post by jessep28 »

Elevated crosswalks for the most part are a waste of money. People don't use them and cross at street level. Even in the Old Market, I think that people would just jaywalk to avoid having to walk up, around, and down that type of thing.
Verbum Domini Manet in Aeternum
Seth
Parks & Recreation

Post by Seth »

jessep28 wrote:Elevated crosswalks for the most part are a waste of money. People don't use them and cross at street level. Even in the Old Market, I think that people would just jaywalk to avoid having to walk up, around, and down that type of thing.
Unless you're connecting trails away from or widely separated from traffic lanes (like in the rendering), you're absolutely right. This is just a 2-D version of the ped bridges in the early suburbs for kids walking to and from school. If the sidewalks are right on the street, it's hard to motivate people to climb 4 flights of stairs, just to cross the street, and have to walk down 4 more flights. Not to mention the shallow (and therefore LONG) ramps to meet ADA requirements, or elevators if you don't have room for ramps.

In busy downtown areas, traffic-calming devices (curb bump-outs, planters, speedbumps, etc) are going to be more practical. Improved pedestrian warning helps too (i.e. the flexible "Ped Crossing" signs you seeing between lanes around UNMC and similar areas.
Linkin5
County Board

Post by Linkin5 »

Would be nice to get at least something like this at 144th and Industrial or Dodge and 680 so someone could get across the street without dying.
BRoss
IT Director

Post by BRoss »

Linkin5 wrote:Dodge and 680
This really needs something. There's really no way across 680 other than walking the median. But to get to/from there you have to cross Dodge which is dangerous.
GetUrban
Planning Board

Post by GetUrban »

HR Paperstacks wrote:
Linkin5 wrote:Dodge and 680
This really needs something. There's really no way across 680 other than walking the median. But to get to/from there you have to cross Dodge which is dangerous.
That would be cool to have some kind of pedestrian/bike bridge or tunnels between Regency and Old Mill South and between Westroads and Old Mill North. That would not be inexpensive though across such a vast distance.
He said "They are some big, ugly red brick buildings"
...and then they were gone.
MSizlack
Home Owners Association

Post by MSizlack »

The only place in Omaha that i could see something even close to this being built and used, would be at 67th and Pacific or 67th and Center, by UNO students.
daveoma
Parks & Recreation

Post by daveoma »

I totally agree this would be very useful for 72nd & Dodge and 10th & Dodge. I think it would improve the safety of pedestrians and give visitors a nice view. Very innovative!