Homeowner's Electrical Permit

General discussion on all things Omaha.

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

Original
Home Owners Association

Homeowner's Electrical Permit

Post by Original »

Longtime lurker, first time poster. Done a decent amount of Googling and tried to figure this out on my own, but couldn't conclusively. I figured this is as good a place as any to ask.

Omaha/Nebraska transplant, and so I don't know the laws/code here. I'm working on a basement remodel that I'm doing myself, and I need to do some electrical work (some new outlets/lights) [I've done this kind of thing before and while I'm not a trained electrician, I feel confident in my ability to do the work]. In other places, I could do this myself and just have to get a homeowner's permit for inspection. I have found that the State of Nebraska issues Homeowner's electrical permits, but I can't figure out if that is all I need, or if I need an permit from Omaha since my home is inside the city limits? The Omaha city code says that nothing in the code prevents me from getting a homeowner's permit, but I don't know if that is then sufficient? Has anyone had experience with doing this kind of thing and have a resource to point me to? Obviously, I could call the local inspector, but I don't want to my address on a list for surprise inspections or anything.

Thanks, eOmahaForums!
RNcyanide
Planning Board

Re: Homeowner's Electrical Permit

Post by RNcyanide »

While I can't say for sure, I do think you need a state and local permit...

Welcome to the forums!
When fortune smiles on something as violent and ugly as revenge, it seems proof like no other that not only does God exist, you're doing his will.

The Bride
GetUrban
Planning Board

Post by GetUrban »

You would just need a homeowner permit from the city of Omaha, which is true within the city limits or within the 3-mile jurisdiction outside of the city limits. No state-issued permit required in Omaha or the 3-mile jurisdiction.

Here's what the Omaha Municipal Code says:

Sec. 44-121. - Permit required.

Before proceeding to install, alter, repair, relocate, affix or suspend any electrical wiring, or to install or connect any equipment or apparatus which requires electrical wiring to be installed, affixed or suspended to make the same operable, for either interior or exterior wiring, a permit shall be obtained by an electrical contractor or a master electrician from the electrical official at the permits and inspections division.

(Code 1980, § 44-121; Ord. No. 32967, § 1(44-121), 4-20-93)
Sec. 44-122. - Homeowner's permit.

Nothing contained in this chapter shall prohibit a homeowner from obtaining a permit for electrical wiring and performing electrical work on a single-family dwelling of which he/she is the owner and in which he/she resides, if the capability to do such work has been demonstrated by such homeowner to the satisfaction of the chief electrical inspector. Permits must be obtained before the commencement of electrical work, proper fees must have been paid, and all work will be subject to all inspections required in this chapter.

For the purpose of this section, electrical wiring and performing electrical work does not include the repair or replacement of the electrical services, panelboards, or feeders, to the home. Only licensed electricians may repair or replace electrical services, panelboards, or feeders. A homeowner who holds an electrical license may repair or replace the electrical service to the home in which he/she owns and resides.

(Code 1980, § 44-122; Ord. No. 32967, § 1(44-122), 4-20-93; Ord. No. 37242, § 11, 12-13-05; Ord. No. 38788, § 6, 8-17-10)
Sec. 44-123. - Quadruple fees for commencing work without permit.

Any person who fails to obtain the necessary permit before starting any work for which a permit is required by the provisions of this article shall, upon being granted a permit for such work, be required to pay quadruple the amount of the regular fees hereinafter set forth.

(Code 1980, § 44-123; Ord. No. 33438, § 14, 12-20-94)

Link:
https://www.municode.com/library/ne/oma ... 44-122HOPE
He said "They are some big, ugly red brick buildings"
...and then they were gone.
Original
Home Owners Association

Post by Original »

GetUrban, I read that in the code, but I haven't been able to find anything about that 3-mile jurisdiction you mention, or really anything about a homeowners permit from Omaha. I guess I'll be going down to City Hall to try to get a permit.
GetUrban
Planning Board

Post by GetUrban »

There's a reference in the Muni code about the 3-mile jurisdiction, if you search for "jurisdiction"

If there is any doubt, they have a place you can type in your address to see if you're in the city's jurisdiction.

I'm not sure if they call it a "homeowner's permit" or simply an electrical permit.
He said "They are some big, ugly red brick buildings"
...and then they were gone.
jessep28
Planning Board

Post by jessep28 »

You can look up your address on the city's permit website and get the zoning information.

https://www.omahapermits.com/permitinfo/
Verbum Domini Manet in Aeternum
Seth
Parks & Recreation

Post by Seth »

Aside from the jurisdiction discussion that others have address, the short summary is:

1. Any electrical work requires a permit.

2. A homeowner can pull a permit to do their own work on branch circuits off of an existing panel.

3. Any work involving a panel (replacing a main panel, installing a subpanel, etc) must be done by a licensed electrictian, who will need to apply for the permit.

Once you have the permit, be sure to understand the various inspections required. There's usually one at rough-in, another after receptacles, etc have been installed, and then a final after it's all buttoned up.
Original
Home Owners Association

Post by Original »

Just in case this ever comes up on a Google search for someone,

The city of Omaha issues homeowner's permits, you have to appear in person at Permits & Inspections at City Hall if you are a homeowner with proof that you live there. (We didn't need to show a title to the home or anything, just driver's license) You can't do any panel replacement work, but you can hook up your new circuits. And I'm told the inspector is a lot more picky on homeowner work (as they should be!) then on professional electricians, so be prepared to re-work after the inspections because there's probably something they are going to pick at.
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

Original wrote:Just in case this ever comes up on a Google search for someone,

The city of Omaha issues homeowner's permits, you have to appear in person at Permits & Inspections at City Hall if you are a homeowner with proof that you live there. (We didn't need to show a title to the home or anything, just driver's license) You can't do any panel replacement work, but you can hook up your new circuits. And I'm told the inspector is a lot more picky on homeowner work (as they should be!) then on professional electricians, so be prepared to re-work after the inspections because there's probably something they are going to pick at.

Thanks for the follow up.
For the record  NEBUGEATER does not equal BUGEATER    !!!!!!!
GRANDPASMUCKER
Human Relations

Post by GRANDPASMUCKER »

They are going to want some blue prints or drawings more then likely too. You cant just say "I'm going to run a bunch of wires in my basement."
omahacacher
Home Owners Association

Post by omahacacher »

GRANDPASMUCKER wrote:They are going to want some blue prints or drawings more then likely too. You cant just say "I'm going to run a bunch of wires in my basement."
Thanks for the stellar input. You should consider changing your screen name to GRANDPAOBVIOUS.
Original
Home Owners Association

Post by Original »

Actually, we did just say, "I'm going to run about 20 outlets (every six feet per code), about 14 lights, and 6 switches." And they gave us the permit. Maybe the inspector will want more when he comes, and obviously your mileage may vary, but it wasn't an onerous process for us.
Original
Home Owners Association

Post by Original »

Posting this for reference for others in case Googling leads you here with questions about a homeowner's electrical permit in Omaha, but I recently finished my remodel and had final inspections and everything. Inspectors (two different for electrical permit, three different for the building permit) were all very nice, helpful, and totally willing to work with me and explain what I needed to do make everything pass (even had one minor issue that the inspector said, "Will you get that done soon?" "Yes." "Ok, you pass"). I had multiple inspections on the rough-in steps, but only one each on the final inspections.

Permits. Less of a hassle than many people say.