Begging on Street Corners

General discussion on all things Omaha.

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

Coyote
City Council

Re: Begging on Street Corners

Post by Coyote »

Just remember that your passport expires after 10 years, but you have an extra year grace period to get it renewed. I found out the hard way...
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

Coyote wrote:Just remember that your passport expires after 10 years, but you have an extra year grace period to get it renewed. I found out the hard way...

SO did I. That is why when I redid mine about a year ago I had to provide all the documentation again.
For the record  NEBUGEATER does not equal BUGEATER    !!!!!!!
Bugeater
Library Board

Post by Bugeater »

Heh, I came here to start this exact thread, and I see Brad was a year ahead of me. Guess I didn't notice last year but this year it's getting ridiculous. I get off of I-680 at Maple at least once a day and EVERY SINGLE TIME there is someone there. Not always the same person though. I am also seeing them at a lot of other off ramps lately too, maybe they rotate? But whatever, it's out of hand and needs to be addressed.
Life is the sh*t that happens while we wait for moments that never come.
Bugeater
Library Board

Post by Bugeater »

Coyote wrote:Rules for panhandling get overhaul
Roseann Moring - World-Herald staff write wrote:The Omaha City Council approved an overhaul to the city’s panhandling ordinance Tuesday, and council members said they’re working on further changes that would ban panhandling in street medians.
Wait, this explains the off ramp trend, it's probably a loophole to this ordinance. Why can't it be outlawed altogether?
Life is the sh*t that happens while we wait for moments that never come.
choke
Human Relations

Post by choke »

I hand out Open Door Mission cards that they give me when I make a donation at their facility.
Omababe
Planning Board

Post by Omababe »

choke wrote:I hand out Open Door Mission cards that they give me when I make a donation at their facility.
Not to be cynical, but with Omaha having what appears to be a good selection of agencies that those down on their luck can turn to, how many of those who regularly panhandle (the one intersection by "Oakroads" seems to have a semi-permanent "vendor") are not really that bad off.
choke
Human Relations

Post by choke »

Omababe wrote:
choke wrote:I hand out Open Door Mission cards that they give me when I make a donation at their facility.
Not to be cynical, but with Omaha having what appears to be a good selection of agencies that those down on their luck can turn to, how many of those who regularly panhandle (the one intersection by "Oakroads" seems to have a semi-permanent "vendor") are not really that bad off.
It makes me feel better about myself. I'm Narcissistic.
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

Cedar Rapids IA is considering an ordinance that seems simple and effective if enforced.

http://www.kcrg.com/content/news/Panhan ... 98763.html

CEDAR RAPIDS, Iowa (KCRG-TV9) - The Cedar Rapids City Council will debate a pedestrian safety ordinance at Tuesday's meeting that would target panhandling along city streets.
The city has debated ways to deal with panhandling for years. KCRG-TV9 spoke with panhandlers last year, one of whom admitted there were panhandlers asking for money for "the wrong reasons".

The new pedestrian safety rules would ban pedestrians from entering the roadway to enter or exchange anything with an occupant of a vehicle. It also specifically forbids pedestrians from specific intersections where panhandlers now frequent: I-380 exits at Blairs Ferry Rd. NE, H Ave. NE, Wilson Ave. SW, 29th Street NE, 32nd Street NE, and the corner of Collins Cr. and Center Point Rd. NE.

The rules would also limit the amount of time pedestrians could be in an intersection.

The city council debated a specific ban on panhandling several years ago but stopped short of passing the ban because of worries it would impact the fire department's Fill the Boot fundraiser for the Muscular Dystrophy Association. Ironically, permission for the Fill the Boot campaign is also on Tuesday's city council agenda.
For the record  NEBUGEATER does not equal BUGEATER    !!!!!!!
buildomaha
Human Relations

Post by buildomaha »

Smart of them, something that needs to be done here. Its understandable when I see someone downtown that looks like they're starving to death, but when I see them dropped off in a white van at the same time every day and picked up at the same time every day I know what's going on. Its people like that who are taking advantage of other people's hardships to gain for themselves by essentially stealing money.
#gohawks
GrandpaaSmucker
Parks & Recreation

Post by GrandpaaSmucker »

buildomaha wrote:Smart of them, something that needs to be done here. Its understandable when I see someone downtown that looks like they're starving to death, but when I see them dropped off in a white van at the same time every day and picked up at the same time every day I know what's going on. Its people like that who are taking advantage of other people's hardships to gain for themselves by essentially stealing money.
The amateur Shrink in me will tell you that 99% of these people are not professional panhandlers. The money they make is secondary to the real reason they are out on that median on that busy street. The real reason they are out there is because they are mentally ill and at their wits end and they want to share with the world just a bit of the misery they are in. I saw a blond woman about 21 Sunday morning at 11 AM working the center median on 90th & Dodge. She was not even standing.... she was laying up against the sign post :roll: I believe that there is a perfectly good explanation for this panhandling phenomenon which is of the likes of something we have never seen before until now......it is actually the residue of the huge influx of Mexican Meth being brought in by the illegal aliens.
FrankJones
New to the Neighborhood

Post by FrankJones »

I've noticed a huge increase in the number of panhandlers within the last year. They're everywhere.

Go to Saddle Creek & Cuming. There are always at least 4 of them there. It's amazing.
Omababe
Planning Board

Post by Omababe »

There was a "desperate family", couple and two kids, at the corner by the Fantasy's when I stopped there to get the car washed yesterday. Thing is, there was a big sign "Now Hiring" at the Fantasy's. The jobs are out there for the people who want them.
NovakOmaha
Planning Board

Post by NovakOmaha »

Ok folks. Take a step back & think about a few things.

ONE, there but for the grace of god go you. Unless you know the backstory you have absolutely ZERO idea what their story is. Unless YOU have been homeless, mentally handicapped, disabled veteran, or whatever, DO NOT judge. And YES, I have volunteered helping homeless people, AND THEY ARE PEOPLE. Yes, there are scammers out there but IN MY EXPERIENCE they are the exception and NOT THE RULE. Where is your humanity? You don't want to give them money? How about simply being polite? Of course, I would never suggest that you climb down from your very comfortable pedestal and actually try to help people but at least take a shot, beginning with at least acknowledging their existence? Do you REALLY think the majority of them WANT to do it?

Now, let's remember that this is America. Unless the city passes some draconian law they actually do have a right to be there AND ask for money. Just the same as you do when you are standing on a corner waiting to cross the street for your $5 Starbucks dirtwater.

Here in Detroit there are panhandlers all over the place. At the corner of 8 Mile road and Woodward (similar to 72nd and Dodge), I see the same group panhandling. They sleep under an overpass. They have pretty much everything they own in a couple of shopping carts. They are out there in the sun, rain, snow, freezing, all of it. Sound fun? 8 Mile is the dividing line between the city of Detroit and the suburbs. Yeah, of course it's safe. Well, not really. After a few months of looking at them at the corner I decided to find out what their story was. Yes, they are on drugs. No, they aren't dealing. No, they don't have a place to live. Yes, they tried to get work but not many people want to hire homeless people. No, they don't make enough to rent a place. Some days they make enough to get a hotel room nearby but they've been robbed twice so they only try to rent a room once in a while to clean up. This is just an example and not representative of every homeless person in the Detroit metro. I came back one time with a list of agencies and offered to drive them to DHS. They didn't want to leave their place on the street but said they would try at some point.

I'm sorry for preaching and lecturing but when did society become so heartless? Human service agencies are overwhelmed yet they are out there trying 24/7 and they could sure use your help. Could you not even volunteer one day a month for an hour or two? You don't want your tax dollars going to help the homeless? Fair enough. But they aren't going away unless they have places that try to help them. And while you don't want to think about it everyone is one wrong turn away from joining their ranks. Yes, everyone.

Now back to discussing more important topics, like how nice the Capitol District will be when it's finished. Of course, I hope there will be plenty of security there to make sure only the "right" people are allowed in.

Have a great weekend everybody!
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Roseann Moring - World-Herald staff write wrote:The Omaha City Council approved an overhaul to the city’s panhandling ordinance Tuesday, and council members said they’re working on further changes that would ban panhandling in street medians.
Panhandling in street medians is before this week's City Council. Ord 41283 covers basically any street with a speed limit of 30mph or above.
Linkin5
County Board

Post by Linkin5 »

Coyote wrote:
Panhandling in street medians is before this week's City Council. Ord 41283 covers basically any street with a speed limit of 30mph or above.
Thank God.
GrandpaaSmucker
Parks & Recreation

I saw moochers begging on the medians this afternoon (Thanksgiving) all over town. That Meth is some powerful stuff that it can make those deadbeats go out and hustle on a holiday. I did not see anybody stupid enough to be giving them money thankfully.
jessep28
Planning Board

Post by jessep28 »

Panhandlers don't sit at intersections if people don't give them money.
Verbum Domini Manet in Aeternum
Louie
County Board

Post by Louie »

GrandpaaSmucker wrote:I saw moochers begging on the medians this afternoon (Thanksgiving) all over town. That Meth is some powerful stuff that it can make those deadbeats go out and hustle on a holiday. I did not see anybody stupid enough to be giving them money thankfully.
So you're telling me that people don't magically get a house on a holiday and are actually homeless all the time?
GrandpaaSmucker
Parks & Recreation

Louie wrote:
GrandpaaSmucker wrote:I saw moochers begging on the medians this afternoon (Thanksgiving) all over town. That Meth is some powerful stuff that it can make those deadbeats go out and hustle on a holiday. I did not see anybody stupid enough to be giving them money thankfully.
So you're telling me that people don't magically get a house on a holiday and are actually homeless all the time?
You are ignorant of the facts. Every representative from any homeless shelter will tell you that most of these street beggars are not homeless and that they will use the money you give them for drugs and booze. The police and government officials will tell you that as well. I will tell you that there are people doing that that I know are not homeless. Wake up!
FirebirdEngineer
Home Owners Association

Post by FirebirdEngineer »

GrandpaaSmucker wrote:
Louie wrote:
You are ignorant of the facts. Every representative from any homeless shelter will tell you that most of these street beggars are not homeless and that they will use the money you give them for drugs and booze. The police and government officials will tell you that as well. I will tell you that there are people doing that that I know are not homeless. Wake up!
You're the one making the claim, so the burden of evidence is on you. Give us interviews from these representatives, police officers, or government officials. Saying "you look it up yourself" will not be sufficient - you present the evidence to back up your claim.
GrandpaaSmucker
Parks & Recreation

FirebirdEngineer wrote:
GrandpaaSmucker wrote:
You're the one making the claim, so the burden of evidence is on you. Give us interviews from these representatives, police officers, or government officials. Saying "you look it up yourself" will not be sufficient - you present the evidence to back up your claim.
I am just the forum idiot :yes: But would you take the word of a representative from the Omaha Open Door Mission. The Open Door Mission gives shelter to over 400 homeless people every night so they may know a little bit more about the homeless them me....or you.

http://fox42kptm.com/news/local/the-tro ... g-in-omaha
bigredmed1
Parks & Recreation

Post by bigredmed1 »

Saw several out today despite the law. Not sure what is going on.
ChadJK
Parks & Recreation

Post by ChadJK »

I've been eating lunch on 108th street between L and Q for the last couple of weeks. 3 times in two weeks I have had different women approach my car as I was leaving a restaurant and ask me for money.
Omaha Cowboy
The Don

Post by Omaha Cowboy »

ChadJK wrote: Mon Nov 22, 2021 5:03 pm I've been eating lunch on 108th street between L and Q for the last couple of weeks. 3 times in two weeks I have had different women approach my car as I was leaving a restaurant and ask me for money.
This sort of thing is happening all over the city now..It’s been a noticeable happenstance…

Ciao..LiO…Peace
Go Cowboys!
Busguy2010
County Board

Post by Busguy2010 »

I always hate when I see people hand them money out their window.. All they do is buy drugs and alcohol with it. And I always find it comical when some good hearted folk buys the people some food or hot chocolate. They don't appreciate it or straight up turn it down.
Omaha Cowboy
The Don

Post by Omaha Cowboy »

I’ve found when you give money to someone who you approach and they don’t expect it, it usually “feels” like it’s much more appreciated..

When I get approached by an individual asking for money, I rarely, if ever, oblige…

Ciao..LiO…Peace
Go Cowboys!
Dundeemaha
Human Relations

Post by Dundeemaha »

Busguy2010 wrote: Mon Nov 22, 2021 7:49 pm I always hate when I see people hand them money out their window.. All they do is buy drugs and alcohol with it. And I always find it comical when some good hearted folk buys the people some food or hot chocolate. They don't appreciate it or straight up turn it down.
I've given food to people otherwise begging many times, only once been rebuffed and frequently they leave their post to tear into it.

These people must be giving out salads and bran bars
Omaha Cowboy
The Don

Post by Omaha Cowboy »

This is definitely the time of year the “art” of begging is turned up a notch…

Ciao..LiO…Peace
Go Cowboys!
Busguy2010
County Board

Post by Busguy2010 »

Dundeemaha wrote: Mon Nov 22, 2021 9:33 pm
Busguy2010 wrote: Mon Nov 22, 2021 7:49 pm I always hate when I see people hand them money out their window.. All they do is buy drugs and alcohol with it. And I always find it comical when some good hearted folk buys the people some food or hot chocolate. They don't appreciate it or straight up turn it down.
I've given food to people otherwise begging many times, only once been rebuffed and frequently they leave their post to tear into it.

These people must be giving out salads and bran bars
Just my experience. I've seen many rejected and the one time I did it, I was also rejected, so I won't do it again.
Omaha Cowboy
The Don

Post by Omaha Cowboy »

Everyone’s experiences are different..

I remember one time a few years back, we saw a person on the street, obviously homeless and struggling..We went through a fast food drive thru, bought him several burgers and french fries..we caught up with him and handed him the bag, he couldn’t have thanked us enough..and proceeded to mow down the food we bought him..

It’s not always an either/or in some of these situations…

Ciao..LiO…Peace
Go Cowboys!
Louie
County Board

Post by Louie »

Omaha Cowboy wrote: Tue Nov 23, 2021 12:31 am Everyone’s experiences are different..

I remember one time a few years back, we saw a person on the street, obviously homeless and struggling..We went through a fast food drive thru, bought him several burgers and french fries..we caught up with him and handed him the bag, he couldn’t have thanked us enough..and proceeded to mow down the food we bought him..

It’s not always an either/or in some of these situations…

Ciao..LiO…Peace
Exactly. The circumstances that lead to someone's homelessness situation are varied. You can't paint every homeless person as an addict.
Busguy2010
County Board

Post by Busguy2010 »

Louie wrote: Tue Nov 23, 2021 9:08 am Exactly. The circumstances that lead to someone's homelessness situation are varied. You can't paint every homeless person as an addict.
I'm just saying, I've had a lot of bad experiences with these types of people, and I choose not to entertain them anymore. Sympathy goes out to all the good homeless people, but for me it seems they are very few and far between. Bottom line is you can't survive on the streets by being a good person, you just plain won't make it.
ChadJK
Parks & Recreation

Post by ChadJK »

I donate to charities that house, feed, and provide outreach to the homeless. I don't give money directly to them. IIRC, that is how most of the experts on the subject prefer people help the homeless. Now, my wife, you could be on the street corner in a brand new Armani suit wearing a Rolex and panhandling and she'll give you a twenty. lol

The last lady to approach me at 108th & Q gave me a whole story about how her car broke down, she had the money for the tow, but was just $2 short. I told her sorry that all I carry are cards and I didn't even get that sentence halfway out of my mouth before her expression and demeanor changed and she started walking away toward the next parked car with people in it. So, ummm... ya....

I don't give directly to panhandlers. I don't think other people should either. However, I'm not going to try and prevent them from doing it or freak out on them for it. People's money is theirs to spend how they see fit.

I just found it odd in this particular section of Omaha (108th street between L and Q), where I've worked near and shopped and dined near countless times over the years and have NEVER been panhandled, that i it happens 3 times in the span of two weeks by different women. It just seems statistically odd.
damonhynes
Parks & Recreation

Post by damonhynes »

Homeless, Inc.--They've been lousy at L @ Home Depot for years.

I wonder what social media outlets they use to coordinate their actions. That's a serious curiosity of mine--FB doesn't seem to be the right site for that activity, and Reddit doesn't seem to have that many Omaha-specific posts.