2015 Asian Beetle invasion

General discussion on all things Omaha.

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

Coyote
City Council

2015 Asian Beetle invasion

Post by Coyote »

Have I been missing this until now, but, there are tons of Asian Beetles in Aksarben today. Did they just arrive or have they been around for a while?
RNcyanide
Planning Board

Re: 2015 Asian Beetle invasion

Post by RNcyanide »

Coyote wrote:Have I been missing this until now, but, there are tons of Asian Beetles in Aksarben today. Did they just arrive or have they been around for a while?
I've been noticing them at Methodist and my place south of millard. I was wearing a pink shirt and they kept landing on me.
When fortune smiles on something as violent and ugly as revenge, it seems proof like no other that not only does God exist, you're doing his will.

The Bride
U R my Helix
Human Relations

Post by U R my Helix »

If you mean these we have them downtown as well. Happens most ever year, just depends on where the cloud lands.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

These guys and the box elder bugs arrive about this time, but I had not seen a single Asian Beetle since last fall, and today I saw hundreds...
RNcyanide
Planning Board

Post by RNcyanide »

I haven't seen the boxelder bugs for a while... They used to cover the foundation of our house on the south and west sides in the afternoon. Those Asian beetles bite, too.
When fortune smiles on something as violent and ugly as revenge, it seems proof like no other that not only does God exist, you're doing his will.

The Bride
Seth
Parks & Recreation

Post by Seth »

RNcyanide wrote:I haven't seen the boxelder bugs for a while... They used to cover the foundation of our house on the south and west sides in the afternoon. Those Asian beetles bite, too.
And stink when you crush them.

I think they start looking for warm places when it gets cold, hence why you find them crawling on houses.
Omababe
Planning Board

Post by Omababe »

Coyote wrote:Have I been missing this until now, but, there are tons of Asian Beetles in Aksarben today. Did they just arrive or have they been around for a while?
We have them in the back yard. I've just started noticing them this week. They land on your clothes or worse in your hair. I've never known them to bite, I just brush them off.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Yes, they bite, ask my niece.

And yes, they are like box elder bugs, they land on you and get in your car or house... and then repopulate their new dwelling until you vacuum them all up.
Linkin5
County Board

Post by Linkin5 »

These things were way worse when I lived in South Dakota, little guys bite like crazy.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

I noticed a lot of trees around Omaha turning brown from the top down, and I believe its the Asian Beetle? I know we have the emerald borer that goes after the trunk, but this is different, I think they are just eating the leaves as opposed to the borer which kills the tree from within.

Between the Asian Beetles, the Emerald Borer, Pine Wilt, and also all the Pin Oak Trees that need injections, its a rough year for trees in Omaha.

Here is an image I found on google that shows the type of Asian Beetle damage I am seeing all over town:
Omaha_corn_burner
Human Relations

Post by Omaha_corn_burner »

Yep, they're eating my linden. A guy down the street from me also has a linden that's nearly untouched. I heard from a neighbor that he put some kind of stuff into the ground last year. It appears to work since his is basically uneaten and the linden across the street looks like the photo above.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Omaha_corn_burner wrote:Yep, they're eating my linden. A guy down the street from me also has a linden that's nearly untouched. I heard from a neighbor that he put some kind of stuff into the ground last year. It appears to work since his is basically uneaten and the linden across the street looks like the photo above.
I heard they can spray the trees and then dead beetles just start raining out of the tree as soon as the spray hits them.
Omaha_corn_burner
Human Relations

Post by Omaha_corn_burner »

Yeah, but my vegetable garden is located right by the tree. No spray for me.
Also my neighbor has a fruit tree a few feet away as well.
Trips
Library Board

Post by Trips »

The Japanese Beetles are what is killing the Linden trees. They are much different then an Asian Beetle. After losing a Linden tree this year I used the generic Triazicide Insect Killer on my others that were under attack. It took about 10 minutes but it killed the beetles. Lowe's has been selling the spray as fast as they can get it in.

There are also homemade and organic sprays that work.

GetUrban
Planning Board

Post by GetUrban »

Japanese beetles were attacking my River Birch tree, eating the leaves at an alarming rate.
I bought some of this stuff at Home Depot and it seems to do the trick...getting them to leave the tree alone. It does not seem to kill them right away, but is not harmful to other beneficial insects such as honey bees and lady bugs, or birds and other animals. There is a lot of info out there now about Japanese beetles and their grubs which will attack your lawn too.

More Info...
http://www.extension.umn.edu/garden/ins ... e-beetles/
He said "They are some big, ugly red brick buildings"
...and then they were gone.
skinzfan23
City Council

Post by skinzfan23 »

They were eating all our rose bushes as well. I treated the plants and it worked well, but the last two times it seemed to have little affect. The beetles were back the next day.
guy4omaha
Parks & Recreation

Post by guy4omaha »

Many of my neighbors and I use pheromone traps in our area with good results. They're inexpensive and you catch thousands and thousands of them. I also use the insecticides but alone they don't seem to get the job done. The addition of the traps is the difference maker in my experience.
My old signature got too old. So old it was getting almost as old me as me. Yeah, it was up there in years.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

[youtube]
[/youtube]
LookingGlass
New to the Neighborhood

Post by LookingGlass »

They've been bad here, ate my mountain ash to pieces.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

[youtube]
[/youtube]
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

[youtube]
[/youtube]