Downtown Omaha vs Downtown Des Moines Construction

General discussion on all things Omaha.

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

RockHarbor
Planning Board

Re: Downtown Omaha vs Downtown Des Moines Construction

Post by RockHarbor »

Garrett wrote:
RNcyanide wrote:I'd like to know why this competition matters.
Because Omaha and Des Moines are very similar, so there's always that little competition. Similar to Kansas City v St. Louis, New York v Chicago, etc. It's a little rivalry, especially when you consider that we've followed distinctly similar patterns in development in recent years. If you want an interesting visual of this, compare the tallest buildings in Omaha to the tallest in Des Moines.
Omaha and Des Moines are very, very competitive. To me, it's almost an attitude of "What my sister gets...I get, too." When West Omaha got that new speckle-tiled NEB REAL ESTATE Building (on 169th & Dodge), West Des Moines got their speckle-tiled one, too -- although I like theirs better. And, maybe the Des Moines one came first, I don't know. Do you realize Des Moines has the SAME two 80's suburban office buildings we have sitting off I-680 in Old Mill, also sitting off their freeway in West Des Moines? I could prove it. It's the same exact designs. I was so suprised. I now realize those buildings are not "special" to Omaha.

And, I have to say, I fight a "Des Moines always does it better" mindset, because I'm from Omaha, and I ultimately root for it. However, I like Des Moines, and I feel it has a sharp sense of design -- maybe sharper than Omaha (at this point). To me, it has an advantage over Omaha in justifying architectural design that has some of the handsome accents & flair of the East, more than we do. So, we kinda get tugged here a bit more, between the traditional East and the contemporary West. You can see the "tug" in our new suburban home designs -- which Des Moines doesn't seem to have. If I were an architect here, I would feel the "tug" I'm talking about. I think the La Vista Conference Center buildings are a great example of design that works well here in Omaha -- design that is meeting somewhere in between what you see in Des Moines and Denver.

Wow, I love that new structure going up in Des Moines.
I can get pushed out because I'm "too much" for some. Then, an observer of me comes suddenly swooping in to "fill my shoes." People are always more accepting of the new one, because their feathers aren't truly ruffled by them. (Yawn) I can count on it every time.
RockHarbor
Planning Board

Post by RockHarbor »

Here's two pictures showing what I'm talking about (in the post above):

1) One shows the new speckled-tile building in West Des Moines I mentioned. It is AeroTEK, or some company like that, I think.

2) The other shows an aerial from Google Maps, one from West Des Moines (on the left), and Old Mill in West Omaha (on the right). Cloned suburbia?! EXACT SAME TWO BUILDINGS, same colors, same design plans, same materials, sitting adjacent to each other! Can you believe it? I've never seen two cities have the same suburban buildings like this, and not only that, but sitting right next each other -- in two cities.
Attachments
OmahaDesMoinesSameSuburbanBldgs.jpg
OmahaDesMoinesSameSuburbanBldgs.jpg (235.56 KiB) Viewed 1501 times
IMG_20150831_182713_edited-1.jpg
IMG_20150831_182713_edited-1.jpg (128.65 KiB) Viewed 1501 times
I can get pushed out because I'm "too much" for some. Then, an observer of me comes suddenly swooping in to "fill my shoes." People are always more accepting of the new one, because their feathers aren't truly ruffled by them. (Yawn) I can count on it every time.
CatfishBlack
New to the Neighborhood

Post by CatfishBlack »

I just read this entire string of posts and decided to sign up to respond. I have followed this forum for going on 15 years and finally took the time to join. This thread is interesting to me because, having lived in Omaha, Denver, Seattle, Portland and now Omaha again, it has never dawned on me to compare Omaha to Des Moines. Perhaps I've been naive, but I guess I don't see the similarities other than proximity.

I'll say this, I'll take what I make in Omaha and the cost of living over similar pay in Seattle or Denver. My opinion of Omaha, which has always been favorable and I'm certain I'm bias, is that except for the complete lack of outdoor activities, Omaha is a fantastic place to live. I'm one of those snobs about east Omaha and I should point out that I mean east Omaha when I say that. I think there are a lot of great things going on in Omaha right now and that it's a hidden gem. I could live in Denver or Seattle as my place of work has locations there, but I choose to live in Omaha.

Just wanted to say my piece.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Thanks for your post CatfishBlack, welcome.
RNcyanide
Planning Board

Post by RNcyanide »

RockHarbor wrote:Here's two pictures showing what I'm talking about (in the post above):

1) One shows the new speckled-tile building in West Des Moines I mentioned. It is AeroTEK, or some company like that, I think.

2) The other shows an aerial from Google Maps, one from West Des Moines (on the left), and Old Mill in West Omaha (on the right). Cloned suburbia?! EXACT SAME TWO BUILDINGS, same colors, same design plans, same materials, sitting adjacent to each other! Can you believe it? I've never seen two cities have the same suburban buildings like this, and not only that, but sitting right next each other -- in two cities.
That is insane!!!
When fortune smiles on something as violent and ugly as revenge, it seems proof like no other that not only does God exist, you're doing his will.

The Bride
Omaha Cowboy
The Don

Post by Omaha Cowboy »

CatfishBlack wrote:I just read this entire string of posts and decided to sign up to respond. I have followed this forum for going on 15 years and finally took the time to join. This thread is interesting to me because, having lived in Omaha, Denver, Seattle, Portland and now Omaha again, it has never dawned on me to compare Omaha to Des Moines. Perhaps I've been naive, but I guess I don't see the similarities other than proximity.

I'll say this, I'll take what I make in Omaha and the cost of living over similar pay in Seattle or Denver. My opinion of Omaha, which has always been favorable and I'm certain I'm bias, is that except for the complete lack of outdoor activities, Omaha is a fantastic place to live. I'm one of those snobs about east Omaha and I should point out that I mean east Omaha when I say that. I think there are a lot of great things going on in Omaha right now and that it's a hidden gem. I could live in Denver or Seattle as my place of work has locations there, but I choose to live in Omaha.

Just wanted to say my piece.
Nice imput CafishBlack. 100% agree..

And welcome to the party :thumb: ...

Ciao..LiO...Peace
Go Cowboys!
cdub
Parks & Recreation

Post by cdub »

ImageOmaha

Image Des Moines

Builders stick with what they know. If it works one place, it should work down the road 120 miles!
RockHarbor
Planning Board

Post by RockHarbor »

RNcyanide wrote:
RockHarbor wrote:Here's two pictures showing what I'm talking about (in the post above):

That is insane!!!
I know! It's almost insulting! All my life, I've always thought those were "special" singular designs in Omaha. But, no...a developer must have had freeway-side plots in Omaha and Des Moines, and probably paid big money for a few office building designs, and used those designs on their land in both towns -- is what I'm guessing.

I've just never seen that before. When I was driving on I-235 in Des Moines, I looked over, and I was sure I saw the same white & mirror glass building we have in Old Mill. Then, months later, I remembered seeing that, and I started checking aerials on Google Maps, and I confirmed that not only did Des Moines have the white building, it had another one of our Old Mill buildings! I was in shock. Later, I was in Des Moines again, and I got off the freeway, and drove by them closer.

CDUB: I guess so! I'm guessing it was simply a developer using the same plans in two Midwest cities (like I stated). To me, that is tacky. Especially when those were major suburban buildings (back then). Think no one would ever notice? You just don't do that w/ architecture, imo.
MTO
City Council

Post by MTO »

Well at least someone acknowledges we need a DT grocer but again this is Omaha so fat chAnce.

http://m.omaha.com/money/downtown-hy-ve ... l?mode=jqm
15-17, 26, 32