Downtown Omaha vs Downtown Des Moines Construction

General discussion on all things Omaha.

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

skinzfan23
City Council

Downtown Omaha vs Downtown Des Moines Construction

Post by skinzfan23 »

NovakOmaha wrote:I still don't understand why there hasn't been much development in the immediate vicinity of the Iowa Events Center. Omaha has North Downtown, KC has KCLive, Lincoln has the Haymarket but Des Moines doesn't really have an Arena district.
According to the Des Moines development forum, they are trying to state that they have over $1.7 Billion in downtown development going on. I highly doubt that number. Their downtown is doing very well, but after adding up all their projects under construction it comes to under $800 Million (and even that number is probably high).

Compared to these numbers from near downtown Omaha:

River's Edge CB: $150-200 Million
The Yard: $50 Million
Shamrock $205 Million
HDR HQ's: at least $100 Million

Total $500 - $555 Million

If you add in the Buffett Cancer Center, that is another $323 Million.
Couple of other projects:
Even Hotel: $17 Million
Highline apts: $17 Million
Burlington Postal Annex: $25 Million
Old Power Plant Apts: $30 Million
13th and Cass Apts: approx $10 Million

So altogether with these projects it would be just short of $1 Billion.

And that doesn't include the $100 Million proposed Lanoha development or the $300 Million proposed Civic Auditorium redevelopment.
iamjacobm
City Council

Re: Downtown Omaha vs Downtown Des Moines Construction

Post by iamjacobm »

Depends how much you consider "downtown."

Could add the row house project on 10th, the public market, Nichol Flats, CU Medical facility north of Cuming, Flats on Howard. Tetrad and Lanoha might now be in visual progress, but who knows what is happening behind the scenes. I would even argue that Lot B is in the development process infancy.

I would have to look a lot closer at DSM to know what their numbers look like and how big of an area they are in. They do have quite a bit locked up in K&G, parking garage/apartments project DT grocery store off the top of my head.
skinzfan23
City Council

Post by skinzfan23 »

iamjacobm wrote:Depends how much you consider "downtown."

Could add the row house project on 10th, the public market, Nichol Flats, CU Medical facility north of Cuming, Flats on Howard. Tetrad and Lanoha might now be in visual progress, but who knows what is happening behind the scenes. I would even argue that Lot B is in the development process infancy.

I would have to look a lot closer at DSM to know what their numbers look like and how big of an area they are in. They do have quite a bit locked up in K&G, parking garage/apartments project DT grocery store off the top of my head.
They do have a ton of development going on, but I still think they pale in comparison to Omaha, especially the whole metro. Their K&G is their biggest project ($151 Million, and not quite sure why for a building that looks like that) Our biggest projects are StratCom's HQ: $1.2 Billion and the Cancer Center $323 Million.

Here is the picture of K&G's HQ:
Linkin5
County Board

Post by Linkin5 »

I would really like for them to provide a list showing 1.7 billion in development, because that does not sound accurate at all.
EastCB
Library Board

Post by EastCB »

skinzfan23 wrote:
iamjacobm wrote:Depends how much you consider "downtown."

They do have a ton of development going on, but I still think they pale in comparison to Omaha, especially the whole metro. Their K&G is their biggest project ($151 Million, and not quite sure why for a building that looks like that) Our biggest projects are StratCom's HQ: $1.2 Billion and the Cancer Center $323 Million.

Here is the picture of K&G's HQ:
If I understand correctly, the Google Southlands in Council Bluffs that is under construction now is over 1 billion.
RNcyanide
Planning Board

Post by RNcyanide »

I'd like to know why this competition matters.
When fortune smiles on something as violent and ugly as revenge, it seems proof like no other that not only does God exist, you're doing his will.

The Bride
Linkin5
County Board

Post by Linkin5 »

RNcyanide wrote:I'd like to know why this competition matters.
Not a competition, just interesting.
Garrett
Planning Board

Post by Garrett »

Because Omaha and Des Moines are very similar, so there's always that little competition. Similar to Kansas City v St. Louis, New York v Chicago, etc. It's a little rivalry, especially when you consider that we've followed distinctly similar patterns in development in recent years. If you want an interesting visual of this, compare the tallest buildings in Omaha to the tallest in Des Moines.
OMA-->CHI-->NYC
RNcyanide
Planning Board

Post by RNcyanide »

Garrett wrote:
Because Omaha and Des Moines are very similar, so there's always that little competition. Similar to Kansas City v St. Louis, New York v Chicago, etc. It's a little rivalry, especially when you consider that we've followed distinctly similar patterns in development in recent years. If you want an interesting visual of this, compare the tallest buildings in Omaha to the tallest in Des Moines.
Isn't ours like 4 feet taller than their tallest?
When fortune smiles on something as violent and ugly as revenge, it seems proof like no other that not only does God exist, you're doing his will.

The Bride
Garrett
Planning Board

Post by Garrett »

RNcyanide wrote:
Garrett wrote:
Isn't ours like 4 feet taller than their tallest?
Yep, and our second tallest in 18 feet taller than their second tallest. Architecturally they are similar as well. FNB and 801 Grand are both post-modern, and Woodmen and Ruan are both International.
OMA-->CHI-->NYC
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

After the top 2 DSM starts dominating Omaha in terms of DT highrise height. Top 2 Omaha scrape by than the next 6 for DSM are taller than Omaha's 3rd DT.
skinzfan23
City Council

Post by skinzfan23 »

Thankfully in recent years Omaha has dominated the development front.

We have had:
CenturyLink Center: $291 Million
TD Ameritrade Park: $131 Million
Werner Park: $36 Million
Ralston Arena: $37 Million
Baxter Arena: $82 Million
Midtown Crossing: $300 Million
Village Pointe, Shadow Lake
NEX Outlets
Buffett Cancer Center: $323 Million
Aksarben Village.
Shamrock: $205 Million
HDR HQ's

I would say that Omaha has done quite a bit better in the past 10-12 years.
Erik
Parks & Recreation

Post by Erik »

skinzfan23 wrote:Thankfully in recent years Omaha has dominated the development front.

We have had:
NEX Outlets
Aksarben Village.
HDR HQ's

That's too much for a town our size in our present location with our current growth rate. We will never have the growth rates or opportunities which support these kind of projects consistently. We've had such an incredible run, I'm amazed. I don't think its going to last at all. We are going to see a drought or bust with these kind of projects in the near future. It's just not sustainable. The potential for a great core here is vastly limited by our wild climate extremes which no human should have to endure and a flatness that only Florida can understand. Sorry guys, but this is a flash in the pan with a big bubble that is about to burst. Des Moines is lucky. Their bubble will far outpace ours due to their state population which will migrate to the city. The thought is depressing, but Des Moines will pass us up in population in the next 60ish years or so and not look back.

The kind of places that I envision that are somewhat similar in size and have the sustainable rates and location for that kind of progress are the likes of Colorado Springs, Fort Collins, Boulder, SLC, Birmingham, Jackson, Columbia (SC), Tuscan, Midland-Odessa, El Paso, Albuquerque, Fayatteville, Little Rock, Lexington KY, Knoxville TN, Richmond VA, Dover DE, Fort Meyers, Daytona, Lakeland FL, Pensacola FL, OKC, Boise, Spokane, Tacoma, Eugene, Bend OR, Bakersfield CA, Fresno CA,Reno NV, Lousiville

And places with potential based on location alone (little current momentum): Mobile, Birmingham, Huntsville, Jackson MS, Baton Rouge, Shreveport, Little Rock, Fayatteville, Springfield MO, Tulsa OK, Memphis

And an outside chance (digging real deep for these): Wichita, Anchorage
MTO
City Council

Post by MTO »

That river doesn't prevent those in Iowa from migrating to Omaha say your theory is correct we'd effectively split the western half of Iowa if we're talking regional draw. And one thing about predicting future growth that far out is the unpredictabal variables. Outside of weather, location and such who knows what could happen in local or regional economies. DSM has a far more impressive growth rate but excluding the ratio they've only been adding a mere thousandish more a year than Omaha which would take a long |expletive| time to catch us and a lot will certainly happen by then.
15-17, 26, 32
Erik
Parks & Recreation

Post by Erik »

MTO wrote:That river doesn't prevent those in Iowa from migrating to Omaha say your theory is correct we'd effectively split the western half of Iowa if we're talking regional draw. And one thing about predicting future growth that far out is the unpredictabal variables. Outside of weather, location and such who knows what could happen in local or regional economies. DSM has a far more impressive growth rate but excluding the ratio they've only been adding a mere thousandish more a year than Omaha which would take a long |expletive| time to catch us and a lot will certainly happen by then.
C'mon MTO. We've seen our best years. I want to believe it will continue in the worst kind of way, but then a reality has materialized for me over the last five or so years. Hardly anyone sees what we see. That includes people that currently reside here, use to reside here or never did. Very few see the many great benefits of the city as enough to outweight our horrific climate and landsape. It's like a golden nugget in a pile of |expletive|. Personally, I like the climate and landscape, but that doesn't change the fact that its still |expletive| to 99% to others.

The only way we can have our cake and eat it to is to move to an 'Omaha' of the south or west. It's a reality that we all need to come to terms with and deal with. We have our special moments (late 1990s to mid 2000s), but we are far from a special place due to the uncontrollable intangibles. Worse yet is the negativity that we have to listen to while living here, which then makes the remaining 1% in misery.

Denver, Austing, SLC are all special places that have it all. We will never be priviledged to be able drink from the same golden cup as they do. We have to deal with what is given to us. In fact, most would say (if you were to ask) that we would barely scrape the surface of a below average location even given our stable, wealthyish economy. If you want special, you wont ever get it here. That is a reality I've learned to accept. And so, my search for the Omaha of the south or west is slowly materializing with a wandering eye. Eventually I will find it, and I will cheer the Omaha of the midwest on from a distance as I bask in the better sister city with happier people.
bmt
Home Owners Association

Post by bmt »

Erik wrote: Worse yet is the negativity that we have to listen to while living here,
Lighten up Francis. :D
We don't need you to be another person spouting negativity. Be part of the solution, not the problem.
RNcyanide
Planning Board

Post by RNcyanide »

Erik wrote:
MTO wrote:That river doesn't prevent those in Iowa from migrating to Omaha say your theory is correct we'd effectively split the western half of Iowa if we're talking regional draw. And one thing about predicting future growth that far out is the unpredictabal variables. Outside of weather, location and such who knows what could happen in local or regional economies. DSM has a far more impressive growth rate but excluding the ratio they've only been adding a mere thousandish more a year than Omaha which would take a long |expletive| time to catch us and a lot will certainly happen by then.
C'mon MTO. We've seen our best years. I want to believe it will continue in the worst kind of way, but then a reality has materialized for me over the last five or so years. Hardly anyone sees what we see. That includes people that currently reside here, use to reside here or never did. Very few see the many great benefits of the city as enough to outweight our horrific climate and landsape. It's like a golden nugget in a pile of |expletive|. Personally, I like the climate and landscape, but that doesn't change the fact that its still |expletive| to 99% to others.

The only way we can have our cake and eat it to is to move to an 'Omaha' of the south or west. It's a reality that we all need to come to terms with and deal with. We have our special moments (late 1990s to mid 2000s), but we are far from a special place due to the uncontrollable intangibles. Worse yet is the negativity that we have to listen to while living here, which then makes the remaining 1% in misery.

Denver, Austing, SLC are all special places that have it all. We will never be priviledged to be able drink from the same golden cup as they do. We have to deal with what is given to us. In fact, most would say (if you were to ask) that we would barely scrape the surface of a below average location even given our stable, wealthyish economy. If you want special, you wont ever get it here. That is a reality I've learned to accept. And so, my search for the Omaha of the south or west is slowly materializing with a wandering eye. Eventually I will find it, and I will cheer the Omaha of the midwest on from a distance as I bask in the better sister city with happier people.
Your negativity is depressing me.

The Bride
PotatoeEatsFish
Human Relations

Post by PotatoeEatsFish »

RNcyanide wrote:
Erik wrote:

How does Denver have a better climate than us?
#SaveTheUglyGrainSilos2024
RNcyanide
Planning Board

Post by RNcyanide »

PotatoeEatsFish wrote:
RNcyanide wrote:
Erik wrote:

Because Denver is just better and unlike Omaha, people actually WANT to be there. :;):

The Bride
TitosBuritoBarn
Planning Board

Post by TitosBuritoBarn »

Erik wrote:
skinzfan23 wrote:Thankfully in recent years Omaha has dominated the development front.

We have had:
NEX Outlets
Aksarben Village.
HDR HQ's

That's too much for a town our size in our present location with our current growth rate. We will never have the growth rates or opportunities which support these kind of projects consistently. We've had such an incredible run, I'm amazed. I don't think its going to last at all. We are going to see a drought or bust with these kind of projects in the near future. It's just not sustainable. The potential for a great core here is vastly limited by our wild climate extremes which no human should have to endure and a flatness that only Florida can understand.
Not everyone picks where they migrate to based on climate or geography. People also choose where they migrate to based on the local economy and family.

I would argue that most cities with the best cores are in places where it snows at least 10 inches annually - New York, Chicago, Boston, DC, Minneapolis, Philadelphia, Denver, etc. Places like Las Vegas, Phoenix, Orlando, Tampa, Jacksonville, Houston all have relatively poor cores, but are in more attractive places climate and/or geography wise.
The kind of places that I envision that are somewhat similar in size and have the sustainable rates and location for that kind of progress are the likes of Colorado Springs, Fort Collins, Boulder, SLC, Birmingham, Jackson, Columbia (SC), Tuscan, Midland-Odessa, El Paso, Albuquerque, Fayatteville, Little Rock, Lexington KY, Knoxville TN, Richmond VA, Dover DE, Fort Meyers, Daytona, Lakeland FL, Pensacola FL, OKC, Boise, Spokane, Tacoma, Eugene, Bend OR, Bakersfield CA, Fresno CA,Reno NV, Lousiville
And almost all of these places have something working against them to achieve attractive progress as much as Omaha does. They're overshadowed by a nearby economic engine, are too socially or fiscally conservative, too racist, or lack good bones (Midland-Odessa? Really?)
You might have Paris Syndrome (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paris_syndrome) No place is perfect. Everywhere has problems and these problems are different in each city.
"Video game violence is not a new problem. Who could forget in the wake of SimCity how children everywhere took up urban planning." - Stephen Colbert
Erik
Parks & Recreation

Post by Erik »

RNcyanide wrote:
PotatoeEatsFish wrote:
RNcyanide wrote:
Erik wrote:

Because Denver is just better and unlike Omaha, people actually WANT to be there. :;):
It's not that I don't agree with you. It's just that is what the consensus is. Remember, consensus doesn't have to be factual.

And I heard something that rings true.. It is tough winning an argument against someone intelligent and well prepared.. It's impossible to win against a know-nothing idiot.
Erik
Parks & Recreation

Post by Erik »

TitosBuritoBarn wrote:
Erik wrote:

We have had:
NEX Outlets
Aksarben Village.
HDR HQ's

That's too much for a town our size in our present location with our current growth rate. We will never have the growth rates or opportunities which support these kind of projects consistently. We've had such an incredible run, I'm amazed. I don't think its going to last at all. We are going to see a drought or bust with these kind of projects in the near future. It's just not sustainable. The potential for a great core here is vastly limited by our wild climate extremes which no human should have to endure and a flatness that only Florida can understand.
Not everyone picks where they migrate to based on climate or geography. People also choose where they migrate to based on the local economy and family.

I would argue that most cities with the best cores are in places where it snows at least 10 inches annually - New York, Chicago, Boston, DC, Minneapolis, Philadelphia, Denver, etc. Places like Las Vegas, Phoenix, Orlando, Tampa, Jacksonville, Houston all have relatively poor cores, but are in more attractive places climate and/or geography wise.
I could successfully argue that the most successful places have a minimum of at least 20 or more inches of snow.. The only city I can think of that has less is KC which stands at 18 per year (Omaha at 26, Lincoln 25 and Des Moines at 36)
And almost all of these places have something working against them to achieve attractive progress as much as Omaha does. They're overshadowed by a nearby economic engine, are too socially or fiscally conservative, too racist, or lack good bones (Midland-Odessa? Really?)
You might have Paris Syndrome (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paris_syndrome) No place is perfect. Everywhere has problems and these problems are different in each city.
I have culture shock? I want to be :grr: but I cannot help but :lol:
OmahaJaysCU
Planning Board

Post by OmahaJaysCU »

Jeesh, will you move already? I thought you were on the first plane out after the Con Agra announcement because we're not cool enough?
Last edited by OmahaJaysCU on Tue Dec 29, 2015 8:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RNcyanide
Planning Board

Post by RNcyanide »

OmahaJaysCU wrote:Jeesh, will you move already? I thought you were on the first plaout after the Con Agra announcement because we're not cool enough?
+1

The Bride
lisanstan
Library Board

Post by lisanstan »

I'm always amused by the "Omaha isn't cool enough" posts. I grew up on the west coast (LA) moved to the east coast during high school (NC) and then lived all over the world. We moved to Omaha 10 years ago and I love it here. If I was 25, I might have a different opinion, but we have committed to retiring here, despite the crappy weather (which I appreciate for it's 4 seasons) and lousy taxes.

ETA: I lived almost 6 years in West Texas, nobody wants to live in Midland/Odessa...
Linkin5
County Board

Post by Linkin5 »

People that are unhappy with where they are located will usually be unhappy regardless where they move to.
TitosBuritoBarn
Planning Board

Post by TitosBuritoBarn »

I'm kidding, but really, #3 under Causes:
Wikipedia wrote:[...] The Japanese often picture Paris as a land of dreams, the land of beauty, culture and romance. However, they soon find out the contrary when they visit Paris for the first time. They find it to be a very regular place, the facilities are disorganized, many areas are unclean, and life characterized by noise, not like what was in their imagination.
I'm not saying you won't enjoy someplace else more, I certainly enjoy Chicago more, but after being here for 4.5 years, the novelty of things has largely worn off. The Sears Tower is just an office building, Wrigley Field is just a baseball stadium, the 'L' train is a way to avoid traffic, Michigan Avenue is a more crowded version of the mall near my work, etc.
"Video game violence is not a new problem. Who could forget in the wake of SimCity how children everywhere took up urban planning." - Stephen Colbert
Professor Woland
Library Board

Post by Professor Woland »

TitosBuritoBarn wrote:I'm kidding, but really, #3 under Causes:
Wikipedia wrote:[...] The Japanese often picture Paris as a land of dreams, the land of beauty, culture and romance. However, they soon find out the contrary when they visit Paris for the first time. They find it to be a very regular place, the facilities are disorganized, many areas are unclean, and life characterized by noise, not like what was in their imagination.
I'm not saying you won't enjoy someplace else more, I certainly enjoy Chicago more, but after being here for 4.5 years, the novelty of things has largely worn off. The Sears Tower is just an office building, Wrigley Field is just a baseball stadium, the 'L' train is a way to avoid traffic, Michigan Avenue is a more crowded version of the mall near my work, etc.
I think there's a big issue with the way people romanticize other places. Americans visit a place like Paris or Milan and they think that living there is like vacationing there. In fact, unless you are really wealthy major world cities are no picnic to live in (and to be honest, unless you inherited your wealth or won the lottery, doing the things necessary to become wealthy are a huge pain in the bum.) Within the US, there are people who think of Portland or San Francisco as some sort of Wonderland. Both places have great features, but I wouldn't be in a hurry to move to either (I am more intimately aware of the challenges facing Portland.)
Erik
Parks & Recreation

Post by Erik »

OmahaJaysCU wrote:Jeesh, will you move already? I thought you were on the first plane out after the Con Agra announcement because we're not cool enough?
I just need a few more years of experience in my field first. I have about five years of experience and want to make sure i get pad those stats a little.

Shoot. Half the people in this forum has already done this. They are cheering from a distance for a reason.

Ill be sure to drag stargazer out and toss him into new Mexico on my way out. He definitely needs to make that move.
cdub
Parks & Recreation

Post by cdub »

Having experience in both, DSM and Omaha may as well be the same place. You will live in the one you are already more familiar with (thus likely thinking its better) or have a job or family reason to live in. You can nitpick details about either but compared to other alternatives farther away, there's not much difference.
MTO
City Council

Post by MTO »

Given Omaha is a couple hundred thousand bigger then we either punch below our weight or DSM punches above their weight.
15-17, 26, 32
cdub
Parks & Recreation

Post by cdub »

MTO wrote:Given Omaha is a couple hundred thousand bigger then we either punch below our weight or DSM punches above their weight.
Only if you take it that they are literally the same. However, I'd say DSM may punch above. In terms of lifestyle, most wouldn't know the difference. Perhaps omaha has an extra 'insert amenity or good thing here' because of that size advantage. My comment wasn't meant as a slight to Omaha in any event.
Erik
Parks & Recreation

Post by Erik »

I think Des Moines cultural and entertainment scene is above their size. I'd give Des Moines the edge there.
MadMartin8
Planning Board

Post by MadMartin8 »

Erik wrote:I think Des Moines cultural and entertainment scene is above their size. I'd give Des Moines the edge there.

You're kidding?
No posts exist for this topic
Erik
Parks & Recreation

Post by Erik »

MadMartin8 wrote:
Erik wrote:I think Des Moines cultural and entertainment scene is above their size. I'd give Des Moines the edge there.

You're kidding?
You disagree? It appears that most in this thread would agree with my statement.
MTO
City Council

Post by MTO »

My Omaha pride is deflating here I thought Omaha had a lot going for it with all of the accolades we get.
15-17, 26, 32
Erik
Parks & Recreation

Post by Erik »

MTO wrote:My Omaha pride is deflating here I thought Omaha had a lot going for it with all of the accolades we get.
It is good for a midwest city
Erik
Parks & Recreation

Post by Erik »

Des Moines has $1.7 billion going on in their dt? I dont think we had that since 2000. Damn. Hats off Des Moines.
Linkin5
County Board

Post by Linkin5 »

Erik wrote:Des Moines has $1.7 billion going on in their dt? I dont think we had that since 2000. darn. Hats off Des Moines.
Wat
Omaha Cowboy
The Don

Post by Omaha Cowboy »

This thread contains some of the most comedic contributions I've read on this forum..

Head for the hills folks! Omaha sucks, is going no where and will soon be taken over and dominated by Des Moines.. LOL..

If silliness needed an editorial description, I'd point to the dialog contained here..

Happy New Year everyone. Omaha rocks!..

Ciao..LiO...Peace
Go Cowboys!