Southport, behind Alamo and Cabela's...

General discussion on all things Omaha.

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

damonhynes
Parks & Recreation

Southport, behind Alamo and Cabela's...

Post by damonhynes »

https://www.google.com/maps/@41.1770509 ... a=!3m1!1e3

On satellite, these look like lesions, but driving on I-80 on a cold day, they're full of steaming water, smell like old coffee--or worse.

I have to draw the conclusion that the hotels, and maybe Cabela's aren't hooked up to LaVista's sewer, and their brown water is being settled in these poor-man's above ground septic tanks. I'm prolly wrong and I'd love to hear the explanation, especially since I've never seen this before.

TIA!
Brad
City Council

Re: Southport, behind Alamo and Cabela's...

Post by Brad »

You could never get away with a "poor-man's above ground septic tanks" in Omaha, LaVista, Papillion, Etc. The city would fine on your so fast. All the sewage from Southport runs in a pipe under the middle of Westport Parkway down to the bottom, under West Giles, under the Railroad Tracks and tap in to the main Sewer Line which Parallels the creek.

The basins that are immediately adjacent to the Alamo and other retail buildings are temporary Sediment Basins, which will be converted to permanent water quality and detention basins after construction is complete. These have a pipe that allows the "clean" water to slowly run out of the basin.

The other basins you see are temporary silt traps, they are low spots that collect runoff and let the silt settle to the bottom. Silt traps don't have a pipe and the water eventually evaporates or leaches out.

I am not sure why any of them would be steaming. I am guessing that it might have to do with the fact that we have been above freezing in the day and below freezing at night and may be the water is holding its heat a little more making fog, like a lot of bodies of water do in the fall. These are on a south facing hill, so they probably get some decent warming in the afternoon.
Linkin5
County Board

Post by Linkin5 »

Well Brad debunked that one pretty quickly.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Linkin5 wrote:Well Brad debunked that one pretty quickly.
I have been at my job 10.5 years. My very first day, the first thing I worked on was Southport. Since that day, in one way or another, I have worked on almost every project in Southport. I have also worked on several proposed projects in there that never happened.

The steam part is just a guess.
damonhynes
Parks & Recreation

Post by damonhynes »

'Preciate it! I knew it had to be something mundane, since Channel Third wasn't at Cabela's buying waders then doing a remote from the pit :-)

I haven't seen a pit steaming in a while, but that could be something as simple as washing out a storm sewer or testing a hydrant.

Thanks!
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »