Smart Phone Weather App

General discussion on all things Omaha.

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

Coyote
City Council

Smart Phone Weather App

Post by Coyote »

Which weather apps do you find the most accurate/the best? Cool features...
Seems like when I compare the one I use to those of friends, there are discrepancies...
jag42
Library Board

Re: Smart Phone Weather App

Post by jag42 »

Weather Underground
U R my Helix
Human Relations

Post by U R my Helix »

Weather bug, keeps tabs well on multiple locations.
guy4omaha
Parks & Recreation

Post by guy4omaha »

I like Storm which is a Weather Underground app. I also like Intellicast.
My old signature got too old. So old it was getting almost as old me as me. Yeah, it was up there in years.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

guy4omaha wrote:I like Storm which is a Weather Underground app. I also like Intellicast.
I love Intellicast on my iPad, but not so much on my Edge.
I've used Weather Underground but not on an App.
I use Arcus because it will give you the precise moment it predicts weather hits your location...
lmdramos
Library Board

Post by lmdramos »

I love Yahoo! Weather.
GetUrban
Planning Board

Post by GetUrban »

I like Intellicast on the Ipad and Iphone. The windstream feature is cool. It shows animated arrows indicating the wind direction and speed for surface or jetstream winds. you can see low or high pressure systems spinning and the wind shift lines coming as a front approaches. The Weather Underground bought Intellicast and created Storm. They said support for the Intellicast app has ended, but it still works. Storm also has the windstream feature except it shows the whole world instead of just the conus. I'm getting used to Storm now and will probably use it more than Intellicast, except I have a 1st gen Ipad, so it won't run the newer apps on the older IOS which can no longer be updated. I can't run Youtube on the old Ipad anymore either.
He said "They are some big, ugly red brick buildings"
...and then they were gone.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Only thing I really car about is the Radar. I have RadarScope, its $10, but worth every penny! There is a RadarScope Pro, but that's $10 a year. I almost got the pro last year, but didn't... Lets see what happens this spring.

If you are in to weather as much as I am, RadarScope has all the cool tools with all the different radar functions.

-GPS location
-6 different reflectivity products
-4 different velocity products
-Estimated rainfall
-All the different tools you see the guys on TV use during severe weather
-Measure distances
-Option to draw on the radar

The Pro Version will show Lightening Data, More data for each cell, and connects to your apple watch.

Here is what mine looks like. Blue Circle is my GPS location.

Here is a screen shot when I was at Werner Park and I "wrote on the radar"

Here is one showing the the velocity mode:

Another with the velocity mode and the tornado warning box:
nativeomahan
County Board

Post by nativeomahan »

guy4omaha wrote:I like Storm which is a Weather Underground app. I also like Intellicast.
Agreed. I also link to the local NWS office.
bigredmed
Parks & Recreation

Post by bigredmed »

nativeomahan wrote:
Agreed. I also link to the local NWS office.
NWS office is great. StormEye is also good for radar. Radarscope is also pretty good.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

You're talking about the NWS website, correct? They don't have an app that I have ever seen?
Omaha Cowboy
The Don

Post by Omaha Cowboy »

I've got the Storm weather underground app on my iPad and iPhone and like it a lot. A good amount of Intel and features for a free weather app...

Ciao..LiO...Peace
Go Cowboys!
jessep28
Planning Board

Post by jessep28 »

I use Weather Underground. I wish that it would let me use my Google Rewards survey credit to buy a subscription.

I don't buy apps or media, and have like $35 to spend.
Verbum Domini Manet in Aeternum
MTO
City Council

Post by MTO »

I wish there were an official spotter app for reporting.. BTW Douglas County spotter talk is March 22 at Boys Town.
15-17, 26, 32
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

MTO wrote:I wish there were an official spotter app for reporting.. BTW Douglas County spotter talk is March 22 at Boys Town.
I am guessing if there is an "Official" reporting app, it would not be available public. They don't want every rain shaft reported as a funnel, and every shelf cloud and roll cloud reported as a wall cloud by un-trained people in the general public.

That said, I am fairly certain that the NWS monitors #OAWX and #NEWX hashtags on twitter.
MTO
City Council

Post by MTO »

When I used to register years ago for reporting via web I had to verify I attended both seminars they could do something like that. They do use social media and still accept web reports but a dedicated app would streamline everything.
15-17, 26, 32
bigredmed
Parks & Recreation

Post by bigredmed »

Brad wrote:
MTO wrote:I wish there were an official spotter app for reporting.. BTW Douglas County spotter talk is March 22 at Boys Town.
I am guessing if there is an "Official" reporting app, it would not be available public. They don't want every rain shaft reported as a funnel, and every shelf cloud and roll cloud reported as a wall cloud by un-trained people in the general public.

That said, I am fairly certain that the NWS monitors #OAWX and #NEWX hashtags on twitter.
They do. The spotter training later this month is free to the public and you can get trained to be a "spotter from home" using the espotter.gov website.

The freakout about wall clouds that aren't is a real problem, as is reporting hail that is tiny. Learning how to separate a gust front from a wallcloud and learning how to estimate hail size by coins and when a few hail stones is interesting, but hail like snow is a time to call is really important for folks living here.

I frequently get asked from my watch point to check out reported wall clouds that are not, and to check out floods on the Rawhide creek that are not, and it distracts me from driving to my watch point and ties up the ham radio network with useless traffic.