The Twin CENTRAL PARK PLAZA TOWERS

General discussion on all things Omaha.

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

RockHarbor
Planning Board

The Twin CENTRAL PARK PLAZA TOWERS

Post by RockHarbor »

I recently was researching who designed the twin, red Central Park Plaza Towers in Omaha. I had thought I had read it was Leo A. Daly (like the Woodmen and Tower at FNC and the new Marriott going up), but I wasn't sure, because it wasn't stated on Wikipedia. However, EMPORIS confirms it was Leo A. Daly, and I found this great 2013 article that talk about the towers: http://www.omaha.com/money/architect-to ... ad455.html (That architect sure seems like a great guy...)

Anyways, the article confirmed what I already knew looking at the twin, angling, red structures at the end of the long, grassy Gene Leahy Mall: They were meant to be a "focal point" at the end of the park. And, that they surely are.

I have to say: I think the design works, and the effect is striking & memorable to people visiting Omaha. Sometimes, I even almost "pinch myself" and it hits me strange that Omaha has two, red, twin, mirror-image buildings -- which doesn't seem like something Omaha would ever do (to me). So, that is why I set out to figure out what, if anything, inspired two red, twin buildings here.

I also think it was risky setting this symmetrical twin structure directly in front of the Woodmen, even though the Woodmen isn't centered directly behind them. The Woodmen is off-center a bit from them, but the effect still works. (For years, I always thought the Woodmen was centered perfectly behind them, and I always drew the Omaha skyline that way, until I looked closer...)

How does the twin Central Park Plaza towers pay homage to Omaha? Do they in any way?

Well, the pin-striped windows echo the stripes on the Woodmen Tower well, I think. There is enough of a narrow "box" element to the front of them, that they echo the narrow sides of the Woodmen, I think. And, I thought this was interesting: The historic bank that sits behind the complex is also a similar red color, has two twin blocky sections on the front, and it has spaced-out square windows at the top similar to the spaced-out square windows that line the bottom sections of the Central Park Plaza towers. I just noticed this in the last 2-3 years.

I wonder if the design drew some inspiration from that that old bank? Here's a pic of the bank: http://www.omaha.lib.ne.us/galleries/po ... 40_004.jpg Here's a pic of the modern towers: http://x.lnimg.com/photo/poster_1920/f8 ... 11c116.jpg

I ask: Where else, but that old red bank, would architects get an idea to plop something big & red in Omaha, with matching twin blocks, and spaced out square windows?!

Just pointing this out...incase you hadn't noticed yet. I thought it was interesting. What do you think of Omaha's Central Park Plaza Towers?
I can get pushed out because I'm "too much" for some. Then, an observer of me comes suddenly swooping in to "fill my shoes." People are always more accepting of the new one, because their feathers aren't truly ruffled by them. (Yawn) I can count on it every time.
RNcyanide
Planning Board

Re: The Twin CENTRAL PARK PLAZA TOWERS

Post by RNcyanide »

I actually love them. It made me sad that FirstComp and REX moved out and they lost the neon signs... I'm actually really against anything taking the library's place because if it were any taller, the whole purpose of CPP would be defeated.
When fortune smiles on something as violent and ugly as revenge, it seems proof like no other that not only does God exist, you're doing his will.

The Bride
RockHarbor
Planning Board

Post by RockHarbor »

RNcyanide wrote:I actually love them. It made me sad that FirstComp and REX moved out and they lost the neon signs... I'm actually really against anything taking the library's place because if it were any taller, the whole purpose of CPP would be defeated.
I totally agree. I loved that signage up there. There was something neat about their logo. Thankfully, I have pictures of it from 3-4 years ago.

I love them, too. They are simple, yet smart. Sometimes, "less is more" in architecture. I appreciate them more now, thinking how that historic red bank may have had something to do with the design & color of them.

Yes, I was thinking about that today. There's a special background layering effect of the city that is so crowd-pleasing from the park: The library first, the twin Central Park Plaza towers beyond, then the Woodmen beyond. It's so "signature" for Omaha. Hardly any cities have that type of perfect set-up of buildings that align just right for the "postcard shot" -- a memorable picture of Omaha. And, to think that it wasn't necessarily planned before it happened. That look really needs to be thoughtfully preserved, imo, if they ever tinker with the library site. I couldn't agree with you more.

Thanks for your reply!
I can get pushed out because I'm "too much" for some. Then, an observer of me comes suddenly swooping in to "fill my shoes." People are always more accepting of the new one, because their feathers aren't truly ruffled by them. (Yawn) I can count on it every time.
RNcyanide
Planning Board

Post by RNcyanide »

You're welcome. I think CPP is one of the most unappreciated office blocks downtown. Well, maybe aside from the former Woodmen Building's tombstone, the Nebraska State Office Building...

It seems to be more of a temporary or transition office block. I know UP and FNB rent varying amounts of space in there.
When fortune smiles on something as violent and ugly as revenge, it seems proof like no other that not only does God exist, you're doing his will.

The Bride
RockHarbor
Planning Board

Post by RockHarbor »

RNcyanide wrote:You're welcome. I think CPP is one of the most unappreciated office blocks downtown. Well, maybe aside from the former Woodmen Building's tombstone, the Nebraska State Office Building...

It seems to be more of a temporary or transition office block. I know UP and FNB rent varying amounts of space in there.
Can't believe I'm still up here...

The CPP: Yes, they are unappreciated to a degree (probably because they don't ever hold one major company), yet are a major feature of our downtown skyline. IMO, the red looks great contrasted with the white Woodmen Tower...in Husker Country.

Have you noticed that though the front face of them is so eye-catching, to create that particular look on the front, the backside of each tower had to be really wide on the back. With two really extra-broad walls standing close together, with a little gap in between, and all those stripes of windows, it is a bit strange-looking, imo. (That's sometimes a challenge when an architect comes up with a great design. How does it look at every angle?) But, it worked out for it to sit there lower down the hill, the backside partially shrouded by structures rising behind it, so thankfully that aspect of them really isn't all that visible unless you're right on that street behind the complex.

I haven't paid much attention to that NE State Office Building. I'll check it out more. Maybe you like architecture involving red bricks? I do like the color & lines of that NE State Office Building, the big, square sunken-in windows w/ the slope underneath each one. It's a nice effect. If you like that type of architecture, I think you would like this building on the southern end of Denver's Tech Center, which I like. (I couldn't find a picture Googling it, because I don't know the official name of it. So, I got the view from Google Maps "Street View.")

Also, this building you may like in the Denver burbs: http://www.adlawcolorado.com/wp-content ... ilding.jpg
Attachments
AADenverBrickbuilding.jpg
AADenverBrickbuilding.jpg (70 KiB) Viewed 705 times