Weather in Omaha: Different or the Same?

General discussion on all things Omaha.

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

RockHarbor
Planning Board

Weather in Omaha: Different or the Same?

Post by RockHarbor »

I just looked up the weather in Omaha. I see highs of mid-80's by next weekend! But, no flashing lightning graphics, or indication for spring thunderstorms. :(

Do you feel the weather in Omaha is somewhat different than it used to be? Part of the excitement (for me) living on the Plains, not around the mountains & ocean (which I love, believe me), is the exciting weather we usually get. Growing up, I just couldn't wait for spring & summer, and the excitement of dramatic storms & tornado watches. It is not like I wanted anybody to get hit or hurt (of course), but still, wild weather does put some excitement into the humdrum of everyday life.

I do think, overall, our winters are warmer and less snowy then they were growing up. (Yet, just years back, we had one of the snowiest winters on record, and we've had frigid spells, too.) As far as spring & summer, I also just feel we don't get the thunderstorms we used to. We seem to have less storms, lightning, tornado watches/warnings overall. Overall, the weather seems toned-down & weaker, or something. Do you agree?

I'm not trying to get into global warming-hype, or conspiracy theories that our weather is being tinkered with. I guess my question is also probably better answered by people that are older, that have lived in Nebraska longer, and can remember any possible different climate. However, I would love to hear anybody's input. Just curious...
Last edited by RockHarbor on Mon Apr 18, 2016 5:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I can get pushed out because I'm "too much" for some. Then, an observer of me comes suddenly swooping in to "fill my shoes." People are always more accepting of the new one, because their feathers aren't truly ruffled by them. (Yawn) I can count on it every time.
Garrett
Planning Board

Re: Weather in Omaha: Different or the Same?

Post by Garrett »

I would say climate change is definitely a factor. But this year was also the start of an El Nino cycle, so expect several years of warmer winters and wetter summers. On top of that, I think as kids we all exaggerate the size and significance of thunderstorms, while as adults they seem a bit more normal.
OMA-->CHI-->NYC
RockHarbor
Planning Board

Post by RockHarbor »

Garrett wrote:I would say climate change is definitely a factor. But this year was also the start of an El Nino cycle, so expect several years of warmer winters and wetter summers. On top of that, I think as kids we all exaggerate the size and significance of thunderstorms, while as adults they seem a bit more normal.
Thanks... I guess I didn't realize that El Nino pattern was starting. I'm usually into weather, but I can get away from watching the Weather Channel.

The adult/kid factor: Could be something to do with it. I'm not sure.

Another example, last year: We had some decent lightning in September, after a whole summer of hardly any flashes, and locals were posting it on Facebook, and people were "oohing & aaahing" at it. But, is that normal for Omahans? Do local Nebraskans normally feel that way about lightning by late summer/early fall? By then, it is usually no big deal.

I don't know. When I was younger, it just seemed like more monstrous storms brewed in the west, and moved into Omaha, and the sirens went off at least 2-3 times a spring/summer. You could almost count on it. Now, we barely seem to hear them once, it feels like.
I can get pushed out because I'm "too much" for some. Then, an observer of me comes suddenly swooping in to "fill my shoes." People are always more accepting of the new one, because their feathers aren't truly ruffled by them. (Yawn) I can count on it every time.
BRoss
IT Director

Post by BRoss »

I also feel like we've had less severe weather lately. I love thunderstorms so it disappoints me. Hopefully we'll get some good storms soon.
Erik
Parks & Recreation

Post by Erik »

To me it seems the greatest warming has occurred between October and christmas, then from February through april. So much so that we are persistently warmer than davenport and Chicago by 5-20+ degrees.

Omaha use to get the same amount of snow as des moines on average. Now, we only get 26 inches to their 36 during the last thirty-year average 1981-2010. Both locations seem to be dropping even more the last decade.

Severe weather seems to have been replaced with a lot less number of days with rain, but much heavier atmospheric river or training events which dump loads of water in a day or two.

Yeah. I'd say that we have experienced a bit of an abrupt climate change in the whole great plains region. Starting from texas and getting bigger as you go north. Then starting from Lake Michigan and gaining intensity until you hit the Omaha-Des Moines region.
RockHarbor
Planning Board

Post by RockHarbor »

Erik wrote:To me it seems the greatest warming has occurred between October and christmas, then from February through april. So much so that we are persistently warmer than davenport and Chicago by 5-20+ degrees.

Omaha use to get the same amount of snow as des moines on average. Now, we only get 26 inches to their 36 during the last thirty-year average 1981-2010. Both locations seem to be dropping even more the last decade.

Severe weather seems to have been replaced with a lot less number of days with rain, but much heavier atmospheric river or training events which dump loads of water in a day or two.

Yeah. I'd say that we have experienced a bit of an abrupt climate change in the whole great plains region. Starting from texas and getting bigger as you go north. Then starting from Lake Michigan and gaining intensity until you hit the Omaha-Des Moines region.
See, I didn't think I was the only one who felt this way.

I didn't know all those details between Omaha & Des Moines. You're right, though: The trend now does seem overall warmer temps between October to December, and from February onward... And, I've read that science shows that torrential downpours would happen more with global warming. Your comment made me think of that. Who knows... It does seem drier to me, overall.

HR Paperstacks: You noticed it, too. Yes, I've stated before to somebody talking about this subject, that if you happen to love Nebraska's thunderstorms, you're naturally going to notice and feel disappointment when there are less around -- just like you do, just like I do. Thanks for your input!
skinzfan23
City Council

Post by skinzfan23 »

I agree, it seems that the last few years have been pretty wet, but with fewer larger rain events. I know that in the last few years we have broken quite a few 24hr rain records but if you take away the top 10 or so rain days of the year, we would be pretty dry. Also we seem to have very few big snowstorms of 8+ inches. It seems like we 10-15 years ago, we used to get 4-5 of these per season, but lately we might get one per season.
cdub
Parks & Recreation

Post by cdub »

ALl I know is since becoming a homeowner I have no need for severe weather. Heck, I don't even like heavy rain. Now that the leaks are my problem, they are no fun!
It strikes me that winters have been generally milder than I remember 15-25 years ago, btw. But thats not much to rely on.
skinzfan23
City Council

Post by skinzfan23 »

cdub wrote:ALl I know is since becoming a homeowner I have no need for severe weather. Heck, I don't even like heavy rain. Now that the leaks are my problem, they are no fun!
It strikes me that winters have been generally milder than I remember 15-25 years ago, btw. But thats not much to rely on.
Yes, I feel the same way. Ever since purchasing our house 3 years ago, I cringe at every thought of hail or tornadoes.
Omaha_corn_burner
Human Relations

Post by Omaha_corn_burner »

cdub wrote:ALl I know is since becoming a homeowner I have no need for severe weather. Heck, I don't even like heavy rain. Now that the leaks are my problem, they are no fun!
Completely agree.
RockHarbor
Planning Board

Post by RockHarbor »

skinzfan23 wrote:I agree, it seems that the last few years have been pretty wet, but with fewer larger rain events. I know that in the last few years we have broken quite a few 24hr rain records but if you take away the top 10 or so rain days of the year, we would be pretty dry. Also we seem to have very few big snowstorms of 8+ inches. It seems like we 10-15 years ago, we used to get 4-5 of these per season, but lately we might get one per season.
Exactly! We seem to get one (or two) a season now. However, I remember back in 2009, we had snowstorm after snowstorm... It was like we lived in Buffalo, NY, or something.

Back in the summer of 2008, there was that small tornado that hit Millard, and there also was that strange, hurricane-wind-like storm that hit Omaha. Since then, I can only think of one episode of really "rough weather", and that was about 2-3 years back, where there was a funnel spotted near Elkhorn. Where I lived, shingles & siding were blown-off. Other than that, I can't recall much of anything (in Omaha). Now, there have been twisters in small town Nebraska through the years, though. And, there was that massive hailstorm that hit Blair, NE about 2 years ago.

Homeowners: Yes, I know the concerns with tornado, rain, wind, and hail. Again, I don't want anybody's property to be damaged, or anything. I just want our weather patterns to be normal & usual -- overall. And, that means some exciting storms once in awhile...
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

I read that in Al Nino Years the spring storms usually come a few weeks later.
cdub wrote:Heck, I don't even like heavy rain.
I hear you there. I can't wait to get some over-sized gutters installed.
Omaha Cowboy
The Don

Post by Omaha Cowboy »

I agree on all points.. But I also feel the same way RockHarbor does in terms of the excitement/anticipation during times we're in a Tornado Watch.. And as far as winter goes, especially the past 6 years, they are noticeably drier and not as cold for longer stretches than I remember as a kid in the 70's into the 80's...

Ciao..LiO...Peace
Go Cowboys!
RockHarbor
Planning Board

Post by RockHarbor »

Omaha Cowboy wrote:
I agree on all points.. But I also feel the same way RockHarbor does in terms of the excitement/anticipation during times we're in a Tornado Watch.. And as far as winter goes, especially the past 6 years, they are noticeably drier and not as cold for longer stretches than I remember as a kid in the 70's into the 80's...

Ciao..LiO...Peace
Agreed, OC! There is something about a hot, muggy day in Omaha, then by late afternoon, you glance to the west and see dark clouds, and hear rumbles in the distance, and flashes in the west, and the TV goes "deet...deet...deet!", and the radio has warnings, and you think: "Oh my, I gotta get home!" How could it not be exciting in a way!?

Yeah, I get what the homeowner's are saying here. Yet, unless one lives in a deep basement, we all pretty much live somewhere where our things could be "scattered to the winds" by a tornado -- or a car dented by hail. So sure, I know none of us want that.
Busguy2010
County Board

Post by Busguy2010 »

I love severe weather and I have definitely been yearning to see a huge supercell creep it's way up I 80. The last big one was mothers day 2014 where there was the huge tornado at Beaver Creek, threatening Omaha. Remember the mamatus clouds that day? Then in early June of that year as well, we were under a loaded gun warning and had the storm sirens go off. That was the last really good storm I recall in Omaha. To me a good storm is a huge supercell with the shelf cloud rolling in, the downdraft winds bursting at you, with the ominous green tinted sky, and increasingly frequent thunder and lightning as it gets nearer with a tornado threat.
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

Maybe it is just an effect of recency, but the last two years seem like we have gotten much stronger thunder. I don't remember near as much window rattling, house shaking thunder 5 years ago than we have had the last 2 years.
Omaha Cowboy
The Don

Post by Omaha Cowboy »

RockHarbor wrote:Agreed, OC! There is something about a hot, muggy day in Omaha, then by late afternoon, you glance to the west and see dark clouds, and hear rumbles in the distance, and flashes in the west, and the TV goes "deet...deet...deet!", and the radio has warnings, and you think: "Oh my, I gotta get home!" How could it not be exciting in a way!?
No doubt RockHarbor.. I think it's just a feeling you get growing up in Tornado Alley.. The anticipation is what's exciting.. Of course the truth is, you hope the storm never hits and no damage, injuries or, God forbid, death results..

I remember Mothers Day from a couple of years back. I think Omaha/eastern Nebraska was under the greatest risk possible for Tornadoes. If memory serves, I think The Weather Channel sent Jim Cantore to Omaha the day before the event to cover the possible storm outbreak live..

And I agree.. I think the intensity of the thunder has really increased over the last few years for whatever the reason...

Ciao..LiO...Peace
Go Cowboys!
Uffda
County Board

Post by Uffda »

skinzfan23 wrote:
Yes, I feel the same way. Ever since purchasing our house 3 years ago, I cringe at every thought of hail or tornadoes.
I need one nice hail storm as I need a new roof. :lol:

As to snow, three years ago, I bought a snowblower for the first time in my life as I was tired of shoveling (plus I found a great deal) I have used maybe 4-5 times since I bought it. :(
skinzfan23
City Council

Post by skinzfan23 »

Here are the rain totals from the past few days:

Late Tuesday night into Wednesday night, some locations in eastern Nebraska and southwest Iowa were dumped on, receiving more than 2 inches of rain, including the Omaha area, with 2.12 at Florence, 2.71 at Offutt Air Force Base, 2.40 at Eppley Airfield, 2.79 at Millard and 2.37 at Council Bluffs. Nebraska City led the way with 3.59 inches.
Other rainfall totals for the 24 hours beginning Tuesday at 7 p.m.: Albion, .88; Beatrice, 1.29; Blair, 2.09; Columbus, 1.83; Falls City, 2.80; Fremont, 1.71; Lincoln, 1.90; Norfolk, 1.48; Plattsmouth, 2.40; Tekamah, 2.76; Valley, 2.14; Wahoo, 2.18; Wayne, 1.81; Red Oak, 1.57; Shenandoah, 2.47.
RockHarbor
Planning Board

Post by RockHarbor »

Sorry that I have neglected this thread for a little while... It slipped out of my mind -- until yesterday's storms, that is!

I enjoy hearing everybody's remarks. I know a lot of people think severe weather is exciting in a way. Some people, who have been through a tornado, actually can get a phobia anytime there is storm cloud in the sky. So, it is understandable we all have different viewpoints on it. We call can agree on, though: We want everybody to keep safe through it.

Yesterday was cool, with that storm coming through Omaha, wasn't it? Just love how storm season is upon us!

Omaha Cowboy: I didn't really notice thunder claps are greater & more frequent than they used to be, but I know what you mean in a way, too... There have been some big thunderclaps in the last few years -- big, loud ones that make you almost want to cower under your bed, or something. I'll take notice of that more now.

With some of my family in the KC area, I have been exposed to their weather down there. To me, they have possibly even more intense lightning and thunder down there than Omaha -- as a whole. But, I can't confirm that. Logically, the closer you get to the Gulf, the more intense lightning can get, I would think. (Even Florida is considered the "Lightning Capitol of the World" I've read.)
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

skinzfan23 wrote:Here are the rain totals from the past few days:
Speaking of Rainfall... Yesterday I think Omaha "Officially" got somewhere between .5" and .75". However at my house on 90th and Center I got nothing. It was literally so little, I am not sure I could even call it a trace.
skinzfan23
City Council

Post by skinzfan23 »

Brad wrote:
Speaking of Rainfall... Yesterday I think Omaha "Officially" got somewhere between .5" and .75". However at my house on 90th and Center I got nothing. It was literally so little, I am not sure I could even call it a trace.
Wow, I wish I could say the same in Bellevue. In fact, if we have any significant rainfall tomorrow night into Wednesday, I wouldn't be surprised to see creeks experience flooding in the southern part of the metro. I definitely think Bellevue/Plattsmouth took the brunt of the rainfall this past weekend. I looked at the radar and northwest Omaha looked like you mentioned, just a few scattered amts.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

skinzfan23 wrote:Wow, I wish I could say the same in Bellevue. In fact, if we have any significant rainfall tomorrow night into Wednesday, I wouldn't be surprised to see creeks experience flooding in the southern part of the metro. I definitely think Bellevue/Plattsmouth took the brunt of the rainfall this past weekend. I looked at the radar and northwest Omaha looked like you mentioned, just a few scattered amts.
Yeah, standing up on the bluff and also watching Radar, I didn't think we were going to get a lot, but I was really surprised when I got home there was nothing in the gauge.

Mike Hollingshead was calling for very large hail Tomorrow. We are on the North edge of the "Enhanced" risk area, sounds like some of local chasers are going to head down closer to the Kansas Border.
nativeomahan
County Board

Post by nativeomahan »

Having lived here all of my life, and having memories of over a half century of weather, I can say that winters in the 1970s and 1980s were, for the most part, much worse than we have had in the past 20 years. Many more big snow and wind events, and much colder on average. And the past decade or so has seen some incredibly wet years, including the past two, which were perhaps the wettest of my memory.
Severe weather, by contrast, seems to have faded (I hope I haven't just jinxed us all!).
Last year Omaha tied the all time record for the latest the growing season extended into the autumn. Almost to Thanksgiving without a freeze. This has been a trend in recent years, as others have pointed out. And several years ago Nebraska, and the entire middle of the continent, experienced its warmest spring on record. By contrast summers have been exceptionally unexceptional, except for being on the wet side.
Nebraska and Iowa, being so far from moderating influences of the oceans, will always experience wild temperature swings. That will never change.
RockHarbor
Planning Board

Post by RockHarbor »

nativeomahan wrote:Having lived here all of my life, and having memories of over a half century of weather, I can say that winters in the 1970s and 1980s were, for the most part, much worse than we have had in the past 20 years. Many more big snow and wind events, and much colder on average. And the past decade or so has seen some incredibly wet years, including the past two, which were perhaps the wettest of my memory.
Severe weather, by contrast, seems to have faded (I hope I haven't just jinxed us all!).
Last year Omaha tied the all time record for the latest the growing season extended into the autumn. Almost to Thanksgiving without a freeze. This has been a trend in recent years, as others have pointed out. And several years ago Nebraska, and the entire middle of the continent, experienced its warmest spring on record. By contrast summers have been exceptionally unexceptional, except for being on the wet side.
Nebraska and Iowa, being so far from moderating influences of the oceans, will always experience wild temperature swings. That will never change.
I do feel like our springs do seem to come earlier (in general) now -- almost like as if we are located farther south where Kansas City is, and our leaves are budding 2-3 weeks ahead of what we are used to. However, a year or two ago, it was frigid into April, I remember. It just depends, I guess...

Yeah, our weather seems a bit different overall. I agree.

Sometimes, I get a little annoyed with the hype of global warming, and them acting like storms/tornadoes/hurricanes have gotten worse as the result. I've been into weather my entire life, and there are plenty examples of major storms way back. I don't think that many storms in the last decade are that impressive compared to some I read about in history books.
S33
County Board

Post by S33 »

Is it ok to anticipate cyclical weather patterns, anymore? Or do we just jump straight to the "climate change" angle?

Oh, we had a really dry winter, must be climate change

Oh, we had a really wet winter, climate change

We had a really bad hail storm, climate change

We haven't seen many severe storms lately, climate change

Bla bla bla
Socialism is a philosophy of failure, the creed of ignorance, and the gospel of envy, its inherent virtue is the equal sharing of misery. - Winston Churchill
nativeomahan
County Board

Post by nativeomahan »

NO ONE in the scientific community is saying that one record warm day or month or one record rainfall in one city means the climate is changing. That is a straw man argument. However when reporting stations across the globe, on all continents and in the oceans continue to report consistently record warm readings, month, after month, after month, after month, after month, after month, after month, after month, after month, after month, after month, after month, after month...you would have to be a fool not to acknowledge that something is happening that we all need to be alarmed about. If we care about future generations, and truly want to ensure that some of the planet's most densely populated regions don't end up being submerged under water for eons, we need to figure out how to prevent man made changes to the environment of the world we collectively call our home. Or nothing much else will matter.
Busguy2010
County Board

Post by Busguy2010 »

S33 wrote:Is it ok to anticipate cyclical weather patterns, anymore? Or do we just jump straight to the "climate change" angle?

Bla bla bla
For reference, 1936 had both the hottest summer and coldest winter on record.

Today I think had the biggest tornado threat Omaha has seen since mothers day 2014. Albeit totally unexpected. This wasn't a classic supercell day at all and the storms were coming at us from the southeast! Totally an oddball day.
S33
County Board

Post by S33 »

nativeomahan wrote:NO ONE in the scientific community is saying that one record warm day or month or one record rainfall in one city means the climate is changing. That is a straw man argument. However when reporting stations across the globe, on all continents and in the oceans continue to report consistently record warm readings, month, after month, after month, after month, after month, after month, after month, after month, after month, after month, after month, after month, after month...you would have to be a fool not to acknowledge that something is happening that we all need to be alarmed about. If we care about future generations, and truly want to ensure that some of the planet's most densely populated regions don't end up being submerged under water for eons, we need to figure out how to prevent man made changes to the environment of the world we collectively call our home. Or nothing much else will matter.
Speaking of straw man...

I'm not saying climate change doesn't exist, in fact, I do believe the science is probably correct in that man-made Carbon emissions are having an effect on the global climate - to a degree.

I know how popular this climate change thing is, but let's not all jump at every opportunity to blame every single weather phenomena on climate change. That's just stupidity run amok
Last edited by S33 on Wed Apr 27, 2016 9:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Socialism is a philosophy of failure, the creed of ignorance, and the gospel of envy, its inherent virtue is the equal sharing of misery. - Winston Churchill
S33
County Board

Post by S33 »

Busguy2010 wrote:
S33 wrote:Is it ok to anticipate cyclical weather patterns, anymore? Or do we just jump straight to the "climate change" angle?

Bla bla bla
For reference, 1936 had both the hottest summer and coldest winter on record.

Today I think had the biggest tornado threat Omaha has seen since mothers day 2014. Albeit totally unexpected. This wasn't a classic supercell day at all and the storms were coming at us from the southeast! Totally an oddball day.
i think wind sheer is what played a role in causing these mini super cells to spin up these tornados. I remember an event in 2007/8 ish when the same thing happened. On that event, the storms were also coming up from the south on a relatively cool day
RockHarbor
Planning Board

Post by RockHarbor »

nativeomahan wrote:NO ONE in the scientific community is saying that one record warm day or month or one record rainfall in one city means the climate is changing. That is a straw man argument. However when reporting stations across the globe, on all continents and in the oceans continue to report consistently record warm readings, month, after month, after month, after month, after month, after month, after month, after month, after month, after month, after month, after month, after month...you would have to be a fool not to acknowledge that something is happening that we all need to be alarmed about. If we care about future generations, and truly want to ensure that some of the planet's most densely populated regions don't end up being submerged under water for eons, we need to figure out how to prevent man made changes to the environment of the world we collectively call our home. Or nothing much else will matter.
I agree with the fact that the globe must be warming up more to a degree simply because of the before-and-after pictures you see of glaciers up north, and the snow on Mt. Kilimanjaro in Africa. Also, the ocean is starting to lap very close to real estate in Miami Beach now. Seriously, it is surprising if you look into it.

But, I still feel it could be hyped-up somewhat, and people can make $$$ of that. Who knows, though.

Busguy 2010: Yeah, it was crazy. I thought it felt too cold for a tornado, though, but a funnel did descend. It was surprising. It seems like my entire life, tornadoes (small tornadoes that is) have usually happened on days where they weren't expected. However, I know the Tornado of 1975 had a lot of prediction & anticipation that day before it all happened.
cdub
Parks & Recreation

Post by cdub »

Uffda wrote:
skinzfan23 wrote:

As to snow, three years ago, I bought a snowblower for the first time in my life as I was tired of shoveling (plus I found a great deal) I have used maybe 4-5 times since I bought it. :(
From what I have heard the insurance companies learned their lesson finally so you wouldn't get a new roof free. They would pro-rate it in some way so that you pay for the wear up to the storm. Not that thats necessarily bad, just not the windfall it used to be.
S33
County Board

Post by S33 »

cdub wrote:
Uffda wrote:
skinzfan23 wrote:

From what I have heard the insurance companies learned their lesson finally so you wouldn't get a new roof free. They would pro-rate it in some way so that you pay for the wear up to the storm. Not that thats necessarily bad, just not the windfall it used to be.
which seems counter intuitive considering the roof is protecting the bulk of the investment (and its contents) which they are insuring.

They call it "depreciation" and it's bullsh*t. They're finding out that home owners are opting for half-as$ed repairs over roof replacement because they cannot afford to subsidize their portion of the bill to replace.

That would be like a body shop refusing to replace a bumber because it had scratches on it prior to an accident .
Omaha Cowboy
The Don

Post by Omaha Cowboy »

nativeomahan wrote:Having lived here all of my life, and having memories of over a half century of weather, I can say that winters in the 1970s and 1980s were, for the most part, much worse than we have had in the past 20 years. Many more big snow and wind events, and much colder on average. And the past decade or so has seen some incredibly wet years, including the past two, which were perhaps the wettest of my memory.
Having lived here pretty much all my life, and having experienced the Omaha winters of the 70's and 80's, I completely AGREE with the content of this post...

Ciao..LiO...Peace
Go Cowboys!
RockHarbor
Planning Board

Post by RockHarbor »

Yes, something definitely is different. I think most people don't argue that. This year, the normal severe spring weather seems a little back to normal. My dad just told me that it just rained like he has never seen it before out in Colorado (around Denver). So, that makes me think of the torrential downpour aspect of global warming they talk about. Not sure...
Omababe
Planning Board

Post by Omababe »

It's different this year in that this is the first time ever I remember seeing hail drifts! Good thing I was going in later that day! I also understand that the OPD precinct station and the fire station down the hill were "hailed in" for a while!
RockHarbor
Planning Board

Post by RockHarbor »

Omababe wrote:It's different this year in that this is the first time ever I remember seeing hail drifts! Good thing I was going in later that day! I also understand that the OPD precinct station and the fire station down the hill were "hailed in" for a while!
That hail drifting was strange. I've seen that happen in Cheyenne before (in the 70's or 80's). That hailstorm was something!
Busguy2010
County Board

Post by Busguy2010 »

As far as I know, all but one of our severe thunderstorm or tornado warnings have been between midnight and dawn so far. Severe thunderstorm warnings two nights in a row and I will be watching for the next few nights.

To me it seems our most impressive storms come in June.
RockHarbor
Planning Board

Post by RockHarbor »

You're right. We have been getting some big storms -- mostly at night, it seems. We had one just tonight. I'm up and can't sleep that well. I have a cough/cold here.

As the result of the generally warmer weather in Omaha, do any of you feel like our city is getting leafier? It almost seems to me that the city is getting more leafier & vine-y, and the umbrellas of the tree canopies are possibly thicker than they used to be when I was growing up. (If you go south from Omaha to cities like Memphis closer to the Gulf, the trees are taller and leafier, and the canopies are thicker.) I can't tell if that is my imagination, or if it is a reality. The trees are growing up in many areas of town, like West Omaha, so maybe that is all it is? For example, you can't hardly see a roof in Regency in the summer months. I realize trees are getting older, but again, it is almost like they are getting leafier, and the canopies seem thicker to me. Maybe it is just my imagination.
Last edited by RockHarbor on Fri May 27, 2016 5:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Busguy2010
County Board

Post by Busguy2010 »

Couldn't tell you. But what I do know is within the last week, greenery and insect life has really taken off. Mosquitos came to life about a week ago, as well as the chatter at night from crickets and other bugs. It's the first time in my life I've actually noticed such a change. One day it is totally benign and within two days, here it is feeling like summer. I chock it up to the relatively cool May we've had up to about a week ago. Like nature's energy was pent up and caged and as soon as we had a day above 80, boom it exploded.