We need a 'beautification' project in this cities streets...

General discussion on all things Omaha.

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

ad2330
Home Owners Association

We need a 'beautification' project in this cities streets...

Post by ad2330 »

I am so frustrated with our streets in Omaha. Not only the sh*t quality of our streets (IMO from dumping WAY too much salt on the streets in the winter), but also the medians, intersections, and bridges that make up our town.

You travel to other cities and they've done beautiful landscape in the medians, highway dividers, intersections, etc. Why on EARTH can't Omaha figure this out? You drive down Dodge street, West Center, well anywhere really, and it's a concrete jungle of overgrown weeds and debris.

Drives me nuts and it's too bad our city is so broke as I think it should be a huge priority, right behind fixing the roads themselves.

/rant
skinzfan23
City Council

Re: We need a 'beautification' project in this cities streets...

Post by skinzfan23 »

I recognize this as well when traveling to other cities. Of course, every city has areas that are just as bad, but I have made a comment similar to this several times about Hwy 75 and 480 in Omaha. There is always debris sitting in the shoulders for over a week. Sometimes shoes, sometimes a couch and many times stalled cars. They need to crack down on stalled vehicles. They should be allowed to sit not more than 24 hrs on the side of a highway. I have witnessed many times on 75, they are sitting there for 2-3 days. The medians on 75 and 370 are another thing. There is so much salt use and the grass is killed. There is no attempt to reseed it either. Especially with the recent rain, it has caused areas of median to wash out and have very large ruts. I don't understand, we don't live in the desert where grass doesn't grow, it looks embarrassing when driving and having guests from out of town ask why there are so many stalled cars and light poles knocked over.

I understand that it has been hard to keep up with mowing with all of the recent rain, but when they do mow on the sides of the highway it is a huge mess and looks terrible. Maybe they need to look into growing a native grass there that doesn't need to be maintained as much. As for the light poles being down, there is one on 75 that has been down at least 3-4 weeks and now they mowed around it and all the trash they ran over is laying right next to the light pole near L St.
ad2330
Home Owners Association

Post by ad2330 »

I guess my point is...

I wish our medians looked more like THIS:

Instead of THIS:

Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Or at least put a little effort in making the bland less desolate:
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (113.8 KiB) Viewed 683 times
Omaha_Gabe
Human Relations

Post by Omaha_Gabe »

Seems like CB is a bit better in that aspect Veterans Memorial hwy, road to mall, upcoming Broadway project, and a few other area, just need south expressway
BRoss
IT Director

Post by BRoss »

Dodge around 90th is an example of it done right.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

I can't find it now, but there was an article written within the past few years about the Boulevards of Omaha, and how they were planned and interconnected, and how we have lost these ideals.
GetUrban
Planning Board

Post by GetUrban »

HR Paperstacks wrote:Dodge around 90th is an example of it done right.
The median of North 72nd Street south of State St & I-680, along the Omaha Country Club property, is another example of how it can be done right. They spruced it up for the Senior Open a couple of years ago and actually have done a great job keeping the landscaping in really good shape. I don't know if OCC or the city pays to help keep it up, but crews work on it occasionally. The key is somebody has to pay to keep it up....or find volunteers to do it.
He said "They are some big, ugly red brick buildings"
...and then they were gone.
skinzfan23
City Council

Post by skinzfan23 »

That is a great idea to have volunteers help. They should do something similar to the roadside cleanup. If they had companies sponsor a section of a median and then have employees occasionally maintain it, it could benefit all.