Neighborhood Conservation/Enhancement (NCE) Districts

General discussion on all things Omaha.

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

Coyote
City Council

Neighborhood Conservation/Enhancement (NCE) Districts

Post by Coyote »

I know this link is in the Anderson Building thread, but I found this very interesting

Omaha developers are buying up clusters of urban parcels at a time and transforming them
Cindy Gonzalez - World-Herald staff writer wrote:Moulton said the Center Street initiative would be the first in which the city, in partnership with Omaha By Design, fully implements its Neighborhood Conservation/Enhancement District strategy intended to help re-energize neighborhood commercial hubs that evolved along historic streetcar lines.

“We’re trying to set up a model to replicate,” Moulton said of the Center Street project, which also involves neighborhood associations. Omaha By Design is a nonprofit entity dedicated to improving the physical design of the city.

Related city boosts could come in the form of changes to zoning, traffic patterns, streetscapes and developer incentives. City planners also encourage the creation of business improvement districts, such as one formed by Blackstone merchants at the launch of that revival, that assess a tax on property owners to fund efforts. (Since GreenSlate about three years ago opened a renovated a cluster of Blackstone bays at 42nd and Farnam Streets, the ripple has continued up, down and around the Farnam corridor.)
Coyote
City Council

Re: Neighborhood Conservation/Enhancement (NCE) Districts

Post by Coyote »

Found this interesting document:

A NCE Inventory 2014
NCE11.jpg
NCE11.jpg (123.24 KiB) Viewed 1073 times
Louie
County Board

Post by Louie »

Coyote wrote:Found this interesting document:

A NCE Inventory 2014
NCE11.jpg
Oh wow. That is very interesting indeed. So many future Blackstone possibilities!
daveoma
Parks & Recreation

Post by daveoma »

There's a really good map in the report which shows population density. It does not however include the new "Wire" apartment building or UNO/Creighton student populations. It'll be interesting to see the density increase given the multitude of infill projects in progress.
Taco
Human Relations

Post by Taco »

The 2014 NCE document really is fantastic, and seems to have predicted the last two years of developments well. I'm going to read over it more before posting my thoughts, I encourage others to do the same.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Almost forgot... Here is a better image of the map:

daveoma
Parks & Recreation

Post by daveoma »

I think they forgot to designate Park Avenue and Leavenworth street east of 36th.
Louie
County Board

Post by Louie »

daveoma wrote:I think they forgot to designate Park Avenue and Leavenworth street east of 36th.
Park Avenue is almost entirely residential, very little commercial. But Leavenworth should have been stretched out more, east to Bud Olson's at least.
daveoma
Parks & Recreation

Post by daveoma »

Louie wrote:
daveoma wrote:I think they forgot to designate Park Avenue and Leavenworth street east of 36th.
Park Avenue is almost entirely residential, very little commercial. But Leavenworth should have been stretched out more, east to Bud Olson's at least.
Certainly park avenue has just as much commercial as 36th & Center.