Carpool Lanes?

General discussion on all things Omaha.

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

mrsticka
Parks & Recreation

Carpool Lanes?

Post by mrsticka »

Do you think I-80, I-680 and I-480 will ever have carpool lanes? They're usually the far left lane and labeled with a diamond.
daveoma
Parks & Recreation

Re: Carpool Lanes?

Post by daveoma »

I can totally see Omaha having HOV lanes. I think these would be particularly usefully on the west dodge expressway.
Omababe
Planning Board

Post by Omababe »

Do we REALLY have enough traffic to make them worthwhile?

I've always regarded Omaha as having essentially zero regular traffic congestion.

My commute, however, is basically crosstown in the western part of the city. Depending on circumstances, like if I'm picking up anyone, I'll do 80/680 or else the local streets. I rarely see any major tie-ups.

I do hear what you're saying. Much of the traffic is single-passenger pickup truck, van, or SUV.
Dundeemaha
Human Relations

Post by Dundeemaha »

MAPA's long term planning mentions allowing buses on the shoulder, maybe dynamic shoulders for carpooling as well would be a more efficient solution.
daveoma
Parks & Recreation

Post by daveoma »

Omababe wrote:Do we REALLY have enough traffic to make them worthwhile?

I've always regarded Omaha as having essentially zero regular traffic congestion.

My commute, however, is basically crosstown in the western part of the city. Depending on circumstances, like if I'm picking up anyone, I'll do 80/680 or else the local streets. I rarely see any major tie-ups.

I do hear what you're saying. Much of the traffic is single-passenger pickup truck, van, or SUV.
West Dodge is backed up everyday during evening rush hour, isn't it?
mrsticka
Parks & Recreation

Post by mrsticka »

Omaha does get traffic congestion. Especially during rush hour. Maybe not nearly as bad as Seattle, but it does get congestion. 3 years ago, I was in Omaha picking up my brother and niece at Eppley and on my way there, I encountered some rush hour traffic on I-80 at L Street and I-680.
Omababe
Planning Board

Post by Omababe »

You do get pockets of congestion, like on Harrison going east from 180th. in the morning, but Omaha does not have any of the block after block after block of multi-lane streets crawling from stoplight to stoplight or expressways that are stop and go for miles!
cdub
Parks & Recreation

Post by cdub »

If anyone got caught up last night, thats what real traffic looks like. Took me an hour to get from downtown to 108 and Q as both 80 and L were a mess. If we get to that level consistently we might get some carpool lanes.
mrsticka
Parks & Recreation

Post by mrsticka »

108th and Q? I used to live near there.
Omaha Cowboy
The Don

Post by Omaha Cowboy »

mrsticka wrote:Do you think I-80, I-680 and I-480 will ever have carpool lanes? They're usually the far left lane and labeled with a diamond.
Omaha is just a hair away from being a 1 million metro in population. Yes, there is indeed traffic congestion along the interstate and within the major street arteries of the city during certain times..no question about that. Is Omaha Seattle in this regard? No. But it is growing to the point where HOV lanes could definitely be part of Omaha's future within the next 5-10 years...

Ciao..LiO...Peace
Go Cowboys!
mrsticka
Parks & Recreation

Post by mrsticka »

Yes, you're right. Omaha is not Seattle. Seattle is much worse. The first time I encountered rush hour traffic in Omaha was in April 2001. I was surprised. I couldn't believe Omaha had gotten that big. This was on I-80 at the 42nd Street exit (451).
Busguy2010
County Board

Post by Busguy2010 »

One curious stretch that I always see a traffic jam at is eastbound Dodge in front of UNO always between 5 and 6. Traffic crawls through there every time I drive it.
mrsticka
Parks & Recreation

Post by mrsticka »

I once suggested Dodge should've been built as 7 lanes (3 east, 3 west and a center turn) between 30th and 72nd. But it wasn't met well.
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

mrsticka wrote:I once suggested Dodge should've been built as 7 lanes (3 east, 3 west and a center turn) between 30th and 72nd. But it wasn't met well.
Tearing down millions in property value to move people west faster is a bad move.
Busguy2010
County Board

Post by Busguy2010 »

mrsticka wrote:I once suggested Dodge should've been built as 7 lanes (3 east, 3 west and a center turn) between 30th and 72nd. But it wasn't met well.
I think Dodge should have been configured like that. If only our earliest settlers knew what kind of city Omaha would become, it would have been a no-brainer done deal. I don't think anybody is suggesting we try to make that happen today.

This Dodge BRT would be a lot more useful if that were the case. We could easily take a lane for transit in that situation.
mrsticka
Parks & Recreation

Post by mrsticka »

Busguy2010 wrote:
I think Dodge should have been configured like that. If only our earliest settlers knew what kind of city Omaha would become, it would have been a no-brainer done deal. I don't think anybody is suggesting we try to make that happen today.

This Dodge BRT would be a lot more useful if that were the case. We could easily take a lane for transit in that situation.
I certainly wasn't. I merely suggested they should've done it that way back in the 60's when Omaha was growing out that way.
BRoss
IT Director

Post by BRoss »

Busguy2010 wrote:This Dodge BRT would be a lot more useful if that were the case. We could easily take a lane for transit in that situation.
I disagree with taking a lane from Dodge for BRT. That would not be a wise move. Since it is stuck at five lanes, we need as much for car traffic as possible. I was talking to Tuna yesterday about how BRT would have been a much better idea on any other street than Dodge. It just doesn't have the capacity for it.
Dundeemaha
Human Relations

Post by Dundeemaha »

Turn the 5 12' lanes in to 6 10' lanes. Problem solved.
choke
Human Relations

Post by choke »

Dundeemaha wrote:Turn the 5 12' lanes in to 6 10' lanes. Problem solved.

I agree. It seems like those are pretty cushy lanes on Dodge. Lot's of elbow room compared to Leavenworth at least.
BRoss
IT Director

Post by BRoss »

choke wrote:

I agree. It seems like those are pretty cushy lanes on Dodge. Lot's of elbow room compared to Leavenworth at least.
It's also a highway and they may not be able to make the lanes smaller per federal guidelines.
Dundeemaha
Human Relations

Post by Dundeemaha »

HR Paperstacks wrote:
choke wrote:

It's also a highway and they may not be able to make the lanes smaller per federal guidelines.
Definitely not federal restrictions, though I think Nebraska guidelines require 11ft. That should be changed if so.

It's super dense but this doc is why I think it 11ft min (PDF) Nebraska Minimum Design Standards : Counties, Municipalities, State (2008)