Whatever Happened To...?

General discussion on all things Omaha.

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

mrsticka
Parks & Recreation

Whatever Happened To...?

Post by mrsticka »

There used to be a restaurant on 108th and John Galt called The Choice. I went there once and my experience was pretty good. When did it close?

If no one remembers, I guess I can't blame you.
Omababe
Planning Board

Re: Whatever Happened To...?

Post by Omababe »

mrsticka wrote:There used to be a restaurant on 108th and John Galt called The Choice. I went there once and my experience was pretty good. When did it close?

It became a Golden Corral, then an Asian buffet, and then, IIRC, a hairstyling academy.
GRANDPASMUCKER
Human Relations

Post by GRANDPASMUCKER »

mrsticka wrote:There used to be a restaurant on 108th and John Galt called The Choice. I went there once and my experience was pretty good. When did it close?

The Choice closed in the late 80's. They had a big huge round buffet that rotated around to the kitchen so that they could refill it without having to go out into the dinning area. It ran about 9 or 10 bucks a meal and usually was packed. I liked the place and easily ate there at least 100 times! Then it was the Golden Coral until they closed about 2000-2001. It was very strongly rumored that one of the reasons the Golden Coral shut down was because they had been busted and fined numerous times for hiring illegal immigrants and were in big trouble with the INS.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

I'm assuming the Choice building was demolished and they the Golden Coral was built? Because that GC looked like every other GC in town...
GRANDPASMUCKER
Human Relations

Post by GRANDPASMUCKER »

Brad wrote:I'm assuming the Choice building was demolished and they the Golden Coral was built? Because that GC looked like every other GC in town...

Its the same building with a make over.
mrsticka
Parks & Recreation

Post by mrsticka »

My first (and only) visit to The Choice was in 1991. So it couldn't have closed in the late 80's. I remember it still being there when I moved away from Omaha in 1992.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

mrsticka wrote:My first (and only) visit to The Choice was in 1991. So it couldn't have closed in the late 80's. I remember it still being there when I moved away from Omaha in 1992.
The Douglas County Assessor shows the Golden Corral building (Now Capitol Hair School) built in 1995. An 1993 aerial photo from the www.dogis.org website shows a completely different building on the lot. The current building is a long rectangle that parallels the south property line. The previous building was a square building right in the middle of the lot.
mrsticka
Parks & Recreation

Post by mrsticka »

So it closed sometime between 1993 and '95? Got it. Thanks.