What does Omaha need?

General discussion on all things Omaha.

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

Omaha Cowboy
The Don

Re: What does Omaha need?

Post by Omaha Cowboy »

nebraska wrote:Okay, but what Omaha does need is better mass transit to the airport. Here's the current city bus: http://www.ometro.com/index.php/route/route-16/

You'll notice it only runs on weekdays, 3 hours each in the morning and evening. That's pretty fraking pathetic. I flew back from the east coast last year on a Saturday and landed at 1pm. No buses, not even posted hours at the bus stop which is located alllllll the way north on the middle island.

I understand there is not a huge demand for mass transit, but the city really has to bite the bullet on some routes. All they have to do is run one shuttle in hour-long loops to connect downtown and/or passengers directly to their hotels. heck, charge $5 for it. But provide something.

Or at a very minimum, make the taxi/Uber stands more prominent and user-friendly.
This I completely agree with.. And I think as passenger volume continues to grow- Eppley will likely surpass 4.5 million passengers setting a record for volume this year- better mass transit to and from the airport will come..

It's all about demand. And with increasing demand, improvements are typically a by-product...

Ciao..LiO...Peace
Go Cowboys!
mrsticka
Parks & Recreation

Post by mrsticka »

Omaha Cowboy wrote:Omaha does not need a bigger airport mrsticka. Omaha has a top 60 national airport and is experiencing much growth with now 30 non stop destinations. There is a plan in place for future airport expansion.. Therefore, your post that Omaha "needs" a bigger airport is not relevant..

Expansion will happen in time. Read the Eppley Airport thread in the transportation forum for additional feedback...

Ciao..LiO...Peace
I WAS JOKING!
nebraska
Library Board

Post by nebraska »

mrsticka wrote:I WAS JOKING!
Too late. New airport has already been ordered. 3 day shipping on Amazon, construction starts next Monday.
mrsticka
Parks & Recreation

Post by mrsticka »

nebraska wrote:
mrsticka wrote:I WAS JOKING!
Too late. New airport has already been ordered. 3 day shipping on Amazon, construction starts next Monday.
:lol:
Dusty
Human Relations

Post by Dusty »

It's so interesting reading this thread after 7 years has passed. Wow! Omaha has changed so much in this time frame. It's kind of crazy so many of the things we brought up that came to be like: Science Museum, new skyscraper, new downtown library, riverfront redevelopment, expanded airport, better transit (streetcar & 24th BRT), etc.

For fun, let's clear the slate and say our ideas now. What projects or ideas does Omaha need to take it to the next level?

Here are mine:
1. Continue to improve transit network. Better bus routes that utilize the grid. Build strong mixed used development around those stations.

2. Establish a protected bike network. No gutter lanes! Continue to improve on pedestrian safety. More walkable neighborhoods.

3. Change land use code to bring more dense/mixed-use housing options. More condos, row houses, multi-plex units, cluster housing, new urbanism neighborhoods etc.

4. Revitalize 16th Street downtown. This corridor has so much history in theater. I would love to bring back the "Theater Row" and make this area a big deal for shows. Orpheum host the big shows. We could bring smaller theater groups, improv groups, magic shows, dinner theater shows, comedy acts, etc.

5. Revamp i-480. In my mind, any project here needs to bring the same WOW factor as the Riverfront parks. As I have mentioned before the 480 Lid idea is underwhelming for me. I'm a little biased, but I want a large transit center to radically change out transit network. Pair this with a riverwalk concept like Bricktown Canal in OKC.

6. More outdoor adventure activities. I can see the area by Mahoney State Park built up for this. Extreme high ropes/zip-lining, rock climbing, paddle boarding, kayaking, artificial rapids. Snow tubing during winter months.
Examples: Riversport in OKC, Bolder Adventure Park in TX.

7. Giant lake near Ashland. This always comes up. I like the idea if we build a strong entertainment district around it. Disney Springs comes to mind in Orlando. This could be an opportunity to attract a large resort like Great Wolf Lodge or Kalahari Resorts as an anchor to the site.
Omaha Cowboy
The Don

Post by Omaha Cowboy »

Omaha Cowboy wrote: Sun Sep 04, 2016 4:00 pm Much has been stated and much I agree with..

One thing, as we know, perception is reality for most and it's a bit funny to me that a city, that's been around since 1854, is still searching for an "identity".. Omaha is known for a great many things which in a positive way, should shape it's identity.. But for some reason, Omaha and Omahans don't tout or even embrace them.. We've come a LONG way since the inferiority complex days of the 70's into the 90's.. But Omaha still has an "aw shucks" attitude toward what it's known for and should embrace. For example- Omaha was the place the authentic Rueben sandwich was created.. But if you ask most in the US, they'd say the Rueben was created in NYC.. Aw shucks.. Omaha was the birthplace of the frozen food dinner. If you ask most in the US where it was invented, you'll likely get a blank stare.. Aw shucks.. Omaha was named the Western Terminal location for Union Pacific Railroad connecting the east to the west by President Abraham Lincoln. Unless people paid attention to US history while in grade school, you'd likely get another blank stare.. Aw shucks.. Omaha is one of the most Ethnically and racially diverse cities of its size in the US.. We even have multiple Italian enclaves including a traditional Little Italy (etc etc). But if you ask most, Omaha is a 99% white Anglo city.. Aw shucks.. Omaha ranks as one of the top 60 busiest airports for passenger travel in the US.. Ahead of Memphis, Louisville, Oklahoma City, Tulsa and Tuscon, AZ (among others).. Ask the average US citizen, and they think Omaha still operates a crop dusting dirt strip as an airport.. Aw shucks..

You get my drift. One of the biggest things Omaha still NEEDS to do, is boast of itself. An image already exists. We just have to embrace it.. Then make some NOISE about it..

Another thing that grates at me, is the way Nielsen shortchanges Omaha in the TV Market rankings. Omaha is the 42 largest city, 59th largest metro and 58 largest CSA in the US.. But only ranks as the 74th largest television media market. Des Moines, Wichita, Knoxville and even Green Bay Wisconsin.. All significantly smaller metro areas in population than Omaha.. all rank ahead.. How in the world is this?? Because Nielsen, in its infinant wisdom, counts the entire slab of central Iowa north to south including Ames, as part of DSM's TV market.. Wichita's TV market literally spans 3/4's of the state of Kansas.. Green Bay? Don't make me laugh.. But Omaha's TV market is limited to counties along the Missouri River in Eastern Nebraska, a handful on the western side in Iowa and one in Missouri.. Lincoln is designated as its own TV market and it's a mere 50 or less miles away. If Omaha and Lincoln's TV markets were more accurately and correctly COMBINED like they should be, Omaha would rank as TV market 45.. Aw shucks..

Pro sports would be fantastic.. But as I've stated numerous times on this forum, unless the wealthy movers and shakers in Omaha commit to such a prospect, the thought of big league sports for Omaha is a pipe dream..

Omaha, I believe, is on the right path.. The CWS is big, that Omaha has carved a national reputation as an "event city" is big time.. Omaha needs to continue to tout itself as a city of convenience.. Airport access, a fantastic arena/convention center.. With Nearly 1000 full service hotel rooms right next to and connected to it.. Multiple downtown entertainment options- the traditional Old Market, North Downtown, the new emerging Capitol District.. Right off downtown we have the booming Blackstone entertainment district, Dundee, Benson etc.. We have excellent craft brewing and craft beer options..a fairly well publicized music scene.. Etc etc etc..

The biggest thing Omaha needs, is to have its citizens spread the word.. Aw shucks be da**med! :thumb: ...

Ciao..LiO...Peace
I still come back to this post I submitted in this thread 7 years ago..

Yep. Omaha still needs to keep tooting its horn. Terence Crawford, beating the brakes out of Errol Spence, while still repping Omaha, that’s priceless.. The average Omaha citizen needs to do their part as well touting Omaha as a great place to live, work, play and also raise a family..

I still contend one of the biggest reasons Omaha lacked in developing a national identity over the years, is/was the sh!tty attitudes and awe shucks inferiority complex of it’s own native citizens…

Ciao..LiO…Peace
Go Cowboys!
legato9
Home Owners Association

Post by legato9 »

1. A tree canopy with greater coverage than Neptune’s.

I see so many bare a$$ front yards. It makes entire blocks look sad.

I swear, Nebraskans are outright hostile toward nature. It’s so baffling to me. Like, hey we’ve got one decent body of water in town - the Missouri - let’s block it with railroad tracks, concrete walls, and fences to make it as inaccessible as possible and to separate it from our culture. And if anyone dares try to admire it from afar? They shall see industrial plants and parking garages! Mwa ha ha ha.

2. Some decent shopping. AllSaints, Scotch and Soda, Ted Baker, etc. It sucks that I only get to buy clothing in places that require airfare.

Though, in fairness, shout out to JH and Sons. Their stuff is really nice. It’s just suuuuuper conservative.

3. The GD F’ing property taxes. I swear, if something isn’t done about them, me and my girl are out of here at the earliest practical opportunity. (She’s working on a STEM degree, and I’ve got a grad degree already, but I’m getting a couple certificates. So, when we finish those.) This alone has gotten right to the very, very, very edge of intolerable.

And I’m not talking about something small. I mean something dramatic. Anything less than like 25% reduction - absolute minimum - is gonna p1ss me off just as much as doing nothing.

4. I don’t know that’s there’s anything we can do about this, but I’d love to see thousands (more like tens of thousands) of immigrants from all corners of the globe here. We’re in a bit of a cultural desert. I love walking down a street and hearing all kinds of different accents, seeing all kinds of different styles, etc. It brings vibe.

I don’t really expect this to happen. US policy won’t let it. But it would be incredible if it did.

5. A decent zoo.*

*Just seeing if anyone read this far. 😜
Omaha Cowboy
The Don

Post by Omaha Cowboy »

legato9 wrote: Mon Aug 28, 2023 5:41 pm
5. A decent zoo.*

*Just seeing if anyone read this far. 😜
You had me at “decent” :;):

Ciao..LiO…Peace
Go Cowboys!
Dusty
Human Relations

Post by Dusty »

Omaha Cowboy wrote: Sun Aug 27, 2023 11:16 pm The average Omaha citizen needs to do their part as well touting Omaha as a great place to live, work, play and also raise a family..

I still contend one of the biggest reasons Omaha lacked in developing a national identity over the years, is/was the sh!tty attitudes and awe shucks inferiority complex of it’s own native citizens…

Ciao..LiO…Peace
We have been thinking about moving back to Omaha in a year or two. I always say I want to be more involved in making a difference. I've been tossing an idea around to start a company to help promote, engage, and grow Omaha. I agree, we need to toot our horn better. But no one wants to do it alone. They just need a good leader to follow and show them the way.

I would break your comments into 2 things:
Aw shucks perception from out of towners. People that have never been to Omaha think we all drive tractors, live on a farm, and are redneck/hillbillies. Nothing close to the truth. You can thank Larry the Cable Guy or media that only shows sprawling cornfields and barn as Omaha.

Inferior complex from locals. Too afraid to boast about anything nice. When people ask what Omaha is like...they make comments like "There is nothing to do here. The zoo is the only thing worthwhile. They constantly complain about any project that is presented. Omaha is not big enough, Omaha can't make changes. Omaha is a small farm town and can't become a big city. Omaha can't.....insert any lame excuse. This mindset is toxic to the city.

The city is only as good as you make it. You can complain or get up and get engaged to make it better. Fix the local mindset and the outside perception will change with it.
NEDodger
Parks & Recreation

Post by NEDodger »

Dusty wrote: Mon Aug 28, 2023 6:42 pm
Omaha Cowboy wrote: Sun Aug 27, 2023 11:16 pm The average Omaha citizen needs to do their part as well touting Omaha as a great place to live, work, play and also raise a family..

Ciao..LiO…Peace
We have been thinking about moving back to Omaha in a year or two. I always say I want to be more involved in making a difference. I've been tossing an idea around to start a company to help promote, engage, and grow Omaha. I agree, we need to toot our horn better. But no one wants to do it alone. They just need a good leader to follow and show them the way.

Aw shucks perception from out of towners. People that have never been to Omaha think we all drive tractors, live on a farm, and are redneck/hillbillies. Nothing close to the truth. You can thank Larry the Cable Guy or media that only shows sprawling cornfields and barn as Omaha.

Inferior complex from locals. Too afraid to boast about anything nice. When people ask what Omaha is like...they make comments like "There is nothing to do here. The zoo is the only thing worthwhile. They constantly complain about any project that is presented. Omaha is not big enough, Omaha can't make changes. Omaha is a small farm town and can't become a big city. Omaha can't.....insert any lame excuse. This mindset is toxic to the city.

The city is only as good as you make it. You can complain or get up and get engaged to make it better. Fix the local mindset and the outside perception will change with it.

It IS strange. It’s like the only places that Omahans compare the city to are New York City and L.A., as far as “things to do”. Well, yeah, if those are your comps…. .
Renovator2559
Human Relations

Post by Renovator2559 »

I would also say that people I talk to other cities, there's always the kind of people that despite their city being sizable, they will look up to the bigger city, whether its people from San Diego or Phoenix. They will then tell me that they want to move to the bigger city... Not much one can do about those individuals mindset

What Omaha needs is to continue to look back at its past, on how the desirable beautiful grid street layout neighborhoods in East Omaha were made, with mixed housing options, reestablish its streetcar or rail network as in the past, prior to when big auto lobbied, monopolized, ran decades old propaganda, took control of public transport and ran them to the ground in order to make exorbitant profits at the detriment of social aspects.

Phase out and demolish brutalist/ugly buildings like the Nebraska state building and current police headquarters (Omaha has many beautiful buildings, all cities have some form of brutalist buildings that are uninspiring).

Have Omaha take a look at the architectual uprising in Scandinavia, to return to building traditional architecture with a local identity with beauty in mind.

Build houses that are varied in styles and beautiful as those in East Omaha (areas such as Gifford Park, Aksarben area).

Narrow some of the "stroads" and convert them to multimodal "complete" streets.
Heavy rail between Omaha and Lincoln at a minimum.
Continue to lay protected bicycle lanes and wide promenade type streets, create pedestrian only streets when appropriate.
Continue to convert parking lots into tax revenue generating developments.
Grow the urban core outward and convert some of the low tax paying strip mall areas into mixed used developments with good density.
Last edited by Renovator2559 on Tue Aug 29, 2023 2:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Omaha Cowboy
The Don

Post by Omaha Cowboy »

Ciao..LiO…Peace

I hope you do move back!..

And your commentary hits the nail on the head..

I’ll also point to what contributes to a negative Omaha perception of Omaha from outsiders- and that is native Omahans themselves with the “awe shucks” inferiority complex; they’re consistently minimizing the city and metro area to folks who have never been here and that, naturally, flames the negative outside perception. The toxic Omaha Reddit page is an example of this..although it’s getting better, there still exists a healthy “anti-Omaha clan”, and they are notorious for posting untrue, negative stereotypical Omaha crapola over there..outsiders read that stuff on Omaha Reddit and actually believe Omaha is a farming and tractor outpost…

Ciao..LiO…Peace
Go Cowboys!
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

Omaha Cowboy wrote: Tue Aug 29, 2023 9:35 am

Ciao..LiO…Peace

I’ll also point to what contributes to a negative Omaha perception of Omaha from outsiders- and that is native Omahans themselves with the “awe shucks” inferiority complex; they’re consistently minimizing the city and metro area to folks who have never been here and that, naturally, flames the negative outside perception. The toxic Omaha Reddit page is an example of this..although it’s getting better, there still exists a healthy “anti-Omaha clan”, and they are notorious for posting untrue, negative stereotypical Omaha crapola over there..outsiders read that stuff on Omaha Reddit and actually believe Omaha is a farming and tractor outpost…

Ciao..LiO…Peace

One way to address this is to embrace it and own up to the fact that this is a rural state and many things in Omaha are there because of the rural business. Metro Omaha and Outstate Nebraska create much of this angst by the way they look at and refer to the other side. It goes both ways. We are a small state and need to embrace and support all that is good here and not belittle the parts that do not fit one's agenda.
For the record  NEBUGEATER does not equal BUGEATER    !!!!!!!
Omaha Cowboy
The Don

Post by Omaha Cowboy »

nebugeater wrote: Tue Aug 29, 2023 9:47 am
Omaha Cowboy wrote: Tue Aug 29, 2023 9:35 am

Ciao..LiO…Peace

Ciao..LiO…Peace

One way to address this is to embrace it and own up to the fact that this is a rural state and many things in Omaha are there because of the rural business. Metro Omaha and Outstate Nebraska create much of this angst by the way they look at and refer to the other side. It goes both ways. We are a small state and need to embrace and support all that is good here and not belittle the parts that do not fit one's agenda.
Good point…

Ciao..LiO…Peace
Go Cowboys!
Greg S
City Council

Post by Greg S »

I will be honest, I don't think, for the most part, that Omahans don't brag about Omaha. My entire life I have heard various things Omahans say, like we have the best zoo, more restaurants per capita than any other city, tv dinners invented here, Berkshire Hathaway/Warren Buffett, so many Fortune 500 companies are here, quality of life, best schools, work ethic, long time home of the CWS, and so on. Still here that same type of stuff at CWS when talking to visitors,

Honestly the biggest issue I think facing Omaha's growth is geography. I know at the start of this thread cities like Denver and Dallas were mentioned (and given favorable growth because of oil money). Obviously money helps but location is key. Americans by and large are moving south to warmer climates or even more likely, away from cold and snow. This helps cities like Dallas and the also mentioned Miami and Atlanta. Denver doesn't fit this bill but the mountains and all that Colorado has to offer in that regard is a big growth driver. That's why Omaha needs to be constantly added amenities that we can control like the parks downtown, performing arts/concert venues/museums, an amusement park, and public transportation/light rail. We are incredibly blessed on the monetary front for this with the likes of Heritage Services and families like Walter Scott. Obviously we need to continually invest in new attractions and keep ones like the Zoo at the top.

Another big growth driver going forward is UNMC, especially with the upcoming Project NeXT. That will be a game changer for the city, and incredible growth for Blackstone, Ak Sar Ben and Dundee.

Greg
Renovator2559
Human Relations

Post by Renovator2559 »

Greg S wrote: Tue Aug 29, 2023 12:26 pm Honestly the biggest issue I think facing Omaha's growth is geography. I know at the start of this thread cities like Denver and Dallas were mentioned (and given favorable growth because of oil money). Obviously money helps but location is key. Americans by and large are moving south to warmer climates or even more likely, away from cold and snow. This helps cities like Dallas and the also mentioned Miami and Atlanta. Denver doesn't fit this bill but the mountains and all that Colorado has to offer in that regard is a big growth driver.
I don't think geography is the problem, because there are many cities along our latitude that are big, simply because they are older cities and their states are older.

Just look at Calgary and Edmonton in Canada, in the middle of nowhere, with similar topography as Nebraska but colder, yet they have pretty impressive cities for their location.

People tend to easily be herded, with whatever dominant narrative they hear the most and since the populations of the east coast and west coasts are much higher, their voices tend to influence what people think. So people hear the words "Sun" and they flock to oppressively hot cities like Dallas. Even if people in Dallas spend most of the year in air conditioned spaces indoors most of the year, have poor sidewalk infrastructure, oppressive traffic congestion with toll roads everywhere and sprawling, highways everywhere.

Omaha could have become another Tulsa (older city but same size as Omaha) but we were smart and restrained not to scar our city with highways. Tulsa also grew with oil, they are in a warmer latitude, yet they are growing at a fraction of Omaha. I've been to Tulsa many times and although the winters are warmer, the high temperatures of heat for months is not bearable.

What's the point of living in the sunbelt when most of those cities are made to be large swaths of asphalt with sometimes no sidewalks, poor shade, with an over reliance of ugly stroads, strip malls and parking lot jungles?

We should not envy the sunbelt for their growth, as fast growth has led for haphazardly planned development (sprawl), as locals in those areas complain about being priced out, traffic congestion and perpetual hot weather.

The people that are coming to Omaha are coming for things that matter in a well functioning society, they care about stability, good education, low crime and all the wonderful stats we do good at.
People that I've talked to, which are not from the midwest, don't even know what Omaha is and where it's at, but once people get to travel to Omaha for work or leisure, they are impressed with the nice city we have. Omaha is a hidden gem.

Last edited by Renovator2559 on Tue Aug 29, 2023 2:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Louie
County Board

Post by Louie »

Renovator2559 wrote: Tue Aug 29, 2023 1:45 pm
Greg S wrote: Tue Aug 29, 2023 12:26 pm Honestly the biggest issue I think facing Omaha's growth is geography. I know at the start of this thread cities like Denver and Dallas were mentioned (and given favorable growth because of oil money). Obviously money helps but location is key. Americans by and large are moving south to warmer climates or even more likely, away from cold and snow. This helps cities like Dallas and the also mentioned Miami and Atlanta. Denver doesn't fit this bill but the mountains and all that Colorado has to offer in that regard is a big growth driver.
Just look at Calgary and Edmonton in Canada, in the middle of nowhere, with similar topography as Nebraska but colder, yet they have pretty impressive cities for their location.
To be fair, Edmonton and Calgary are also oil and gas powerhouses...
Renovator2559
Human Relations

Post by Renovator2559 »

Tulsa is also an oil power house and much, much warmer than Calgary and Edmonton. Yet Tulsa is not doing as good as Omaha growth wise and their city has several problems including education and crime issues, as well as a love for strip malls and sprawl.

Here in Omaha we have the Union Pacific and BNSF (Former HQ in Lincoln now HQ in Dallas but still a subsidiary of Berkshire Hathaway).
Omaha is the powerhouse of freight that traverses the united states west of the Mississippi, I would argue that freight and rail plays a more long term stable role than non-renewal oil resources, we are also becoming Silicon Prairie.

Also lets not forget that we have Western Nebraska (wonderful people, I have lived in various places along i80 in Nebraska for many years), which feeds the world and contributes to Lincoln and Omaha being good cities and not just another San Francisco.

Greg S
City Council

Post by Greg S »

Louie wrote: Tue Aug 29, 2023 2:43 pm
To be fair, Edmonton and Calgary are also oil and gas powerhouses...
Absolutely and obviously Calgary is closer to the mountains, even Edmonton is only about 2 hours from them.
Greg S
City Council

Post by Greg S »

I don't think geography is the problem, because there are many cities along our latitude that are big, simply because they are older cities and their states are older.

People tend to easily be herded, with whatever dominant narrative they hear the most and since the populations of the east coast and west coasts are much higher, their voices tend to influence what people think. So people hear the words "Sun" and they flock to oppressively hot cities like Dallas. Even if people in Dallas spend most of the year in air conditioned spaces indoors most of the year, have poor sidewalk infrastructure, oppressive traffic congestion with toll roads everywhere and sprawling, highways everywhere.

Omaha could have become another Tulsa (older city but same size as Omaha) but we were smart and restrained not to scar our city with highways. Tulsa also grew with oil, they are in a warmer latitude, yet they are growing at a fraction of Omaha. I've been to Tulsa many times and although the winters are warmer, the high temperatures of heat for months is not bearable.

What's the point of living in the sunbelt when most of those cities are made to be large swaths of asphalt with sometimes no sidewalks, poor shade, with an over reliance of ugly stroads, strip malls and parking lot jungles?

We should not envy the sunbelt for their growth, as fast growth has led for haphazardly planned development (sprawl), as locals in those areas complain about being priced out, traffic congestion and perpetual hot weather.

The people that are coming to Omaha are coming for things that matter in a well functioning society, they care about stability, good education, low crime and all the wonderful stats we do good at.
People that I've talked to, which are not from the midwest, don't even know what Omaha is and where it's at, but once people get to travel to Omaha for work or leisure, they are impressed with the nice city we have. Omaha is a hidden gem.

I don't think it can be argued that there is definitely a population shift going on in the United States right now towards warmer climate cities. I am not arguing the past and how other cities got big or such. But if you look objectively at projected growth, two of the biggest, if not biggest factors are warmer climates and mountains. Proximity to the ocean seems to help as well.
Greg S
City Council

Post by Greg S »

Renovator2559 wrote: Tue Aug 29, 2023 3:58 pm Tulsa is also an oil power house and much, much warmer than Calgary and Edmonton. Yet Tulsa is not doing as good as Omaha growth wise and their city has several problems including education and crime issues, as well as a love for strip malls and sprawl.

Here in Omaha we have the Union Pacific and BNSF (Former HQ in Lincoln now HQ in Dallas but still a subsidiary of Berkshire Hathaway).
Omaha is the powerhouse of freight that traverses the united states west of the Mississippi, I would argue that freight and rail plays a more long term stable role than non-renewal oil resources, we are also becoming Silicon Prairie.

Also lets not forget that we have Western Nebraska (wonderful people, I have lived in various places along i80 in Nebraska for many years), which feeds the world and contributes to Lincoln and Omaha being good cities and not just another San Francisco.

I guess technically you can claim BNSF because of Berkshire but in no other way would anyone really claim them. They obviously don't really have a physical or employment presence here. I don't really claim the other Berkshire holdings either unless there is more presence locally.
Renovator2559
Human Relations

Post by Renovator2559 »

Greg S wrote: Tue Aug 29, 2023 5:13 pm
I don't think it can be argued that there is definitely a population shift going on in the United States right now towards warmer climate cities. I am not arguing the past and how other cities got big or such. But if you look objectively at projected growth, two of the biggest, if not biggest factors are warmer climates and mountains. Proximity to the ocean seems to help as well.
As I said, there's people that just hear the word sun and flock to a place that has sun, even if it's oppressive heat, and even if that place has an undesirable sunbelt city.

As I said, I have talked to plenty of locals from those cities and they are in a state of complaining, wanting people to stop moving to their cities.

Having to hide in air conditioned cars and indoors for most of the year, is a way for these people to confort themselves that sunny weather is what they seek.

I've gone to those sunbelt cities and it's all hype. People will always look for the next trend, place to be. All go to that place and make that place unstable, do to the overwhelming of infrastructure, and in making low density. Just look at Houston.

If Omaha experienced the same growth of Dallas, we would have turned into an undesirable sprawling city like Dallas and Kansas City (when talking about sprawl and disconnected neighborhoods)
Cermak
Parks & Recreation

Post by Cermak »

Southern cities will always have an advantage because so many people dislike winter. Ever since the invention of house air conditioning southern cities have boomed. But that could be changing with the on going drought problems in much of the southwest and parts of Texas.
Dusty
Human Relations

Post by Dusty »

There is more to a city than sprawl factor. Omaha just needs to keep building amazing venues, parks, attractions, etc. Make Omaha a city that has incredible quality of life. It's the big and bold ideas that will continue to shape our identity. We can look at other cities for ideas for inspiration, but we need to make those ideas uniquely Omaha.

Some people will always think the grass is greener in another city. It's doesn't matter the reason why. Whether it be weather, oceans/mountains, big/small city mindset. Fun is only what you make it and there is plenty of it here. I believe most locals want to support the city, but feel like their voice doesn't matter. They lack the confidence to speak up to defend the city. Omaha is going through some exciting growth spurts. I know the base is there to support. The sheep just need a good shepherd!
Omaha Cowboy
The Don

Post by Omaha Cowboy »

Dusty wrote: Tue Aug 29, 2023 8:17 pm There is more to a city than sprawl factor. Omaha just needs to keep building amazing venues, parks, attractions, etc. Make Omaha a city that has incredible quality of life. It's the big and bold ideas that will continue to shape our identity. We can look at other cities for ideas for inspiration, but we need to make those ideas uniquely Omaha.

Some people will always think the grass is greener in another city. It's doesn't matter the reason why. Whether it be weather, oceans/mountains, big/small city mindset. Fun is only what you make it and there is plenty of it here. I believe most locals want to support the city, but feel like their voice doesn't matter. They lack the confidence to speak up to defend the city. Omaha is going through some exciting growth spurts. I know the base is there to support. The sheep just need a good shepherd!
Well stated :thumb:

Ciao..LiO…Peace
Go Cowboys!
Omahomie
New to the Neighborhood

Post by Omahomie »

Dusty wrote: Sun Aug 27, 2023 6:48 pm It's so interesting reading this thread after 7 years has passed. Wow! Omaha has changed so much in this time frame. It's kind of crazy so many of the things we brought up that came to be like: Science Museum, new skyscraper, new downtown library, riverfront redevelopment, expanded airport, better transit (streetcar & 24th BRT), etc.

For fun, let's clear the slate and say our ideas now. What projects or ideas does Omaha need to take it to the next level?

Here are mine:
1. Continue to improve transit network. Better bus routes that utilize the grid. Build strong mixed used development around those stations.

2. Establish a protected bike network. No gutter lanes! Continue to improve on pedestrian safety. More walkable neighborhoods.

3. Change land use code to bring more dense/mixed-use housing options. More condos, row houses, multi-plex units, cluster housing, new urbanism neighborhoods etc.

4. Revitalize 16th Street downtown. This corridor has so much history in theater. I would love to bring back the "Theater Row" and make this area a big deal for shows. Orpheum host the big shows. We could bring smaller theater groups, improv groups, magic shows, dinner theater shows, comedy acts, etc.

5. Revamp i-480. In my mind, any project here needs to bring the same WOW factor as the Riverfront parks. As I have mentioned before the 480 Lid idea is underwhelming for me. I'm a little biased, but I want a large transit center to radically change out transit network. Pair this with a riverwalk concept like Bricktown Canal in OKC.

6. More outdoor adventure activities. I can see the area by Mahoney State Park built up for this. Extreme high ropes/zip-lining, rock climbing, paddle boarding, kayaking, artificial rapids. Snow tubing during winter months.

7. Giant lake near Ashland. This always comes up. I like the idea if we build a strong entertainment district around it. Disney Springs comes to mind in Orlando. This could be an opportunity to attract a large resort like Great Wolf Lodge or Kalahari Resorts as an anchor to the site.
I really like this list and think all are achievable. For me personally I would reiterate number two with more connected bike lanes. While I love the Papio trail I would love a more direct and safe path to get from my home in Askarben to the DT riverfront. But with the auto speeds and current infrastructure it doesn't lend itself. Also I would suggest beautifying the DT core with more grasses and trees. Just because we're not a mountain or ocean town doesn't mean we have to have a concrete jungle.
legato9
Home Owners Association

Post by legato9 »

Omahomie wrote: Wed Aug 30, 2023 10:46 am
Dusty wrote: Sun Aug 27, 2023 6:48 pm It's so interesting reading this thread after 7 years has passed. Wow! Omaha has changed so much in this time frame. It's kind of crazy so many of the things we brought up that came to be like: Science Museum, new skyscraper, new downtown library, riverfront redevelopment, expanded airport, better transit (streetcar & 24th BRT), etc.

Here are mine:

I really like this list and think all are achievable. For me personally I would reiterate number two with more connected bike lanes. While I love the Papio trail I would love a more direct and safe path to get from my home in Askarben to the DT riverfront. But with the auto speeds and current infrastructure it doesn't lend itself. Also I would suggest beautifying the DT core with more grasses and trees. Just because we're not a mountain or ocean town doesn't mean we have to have a concrete jungle.
Amen the part about trees. One of my biggest gripes with Omaha is the lack of tree canopy.

It’s a billion degrees here in the summer, and walkability includes shade.

And 100% of the time, houses / blocks without many trees look run down. I see so many areas that would look profoundly nicer if they just had a few mature trees.

Like, 72nd from Dodge to the Interstate just looks like Mad Max. Imagine how much nicer that Jimmy John’s would look with three or four mature trees around it.

It’s the same with the neighborhoods. If you have two (or often times five) houses in a row with no front yard tree, inevitably that block looks sad and run down. I see so many midtown blocks that would be absolutely charming and beautiful if every yard had a tree in the front. It would make the houses look like they cost $100,000 more.

To say nothing of the flooding benefits. Trees suck up water. But so often here, you see water running for half a mile or more. There’s just nowhere for it to go. It’s all concrete.

When I shop around for cities to move to, one of the first things I look at is the city’s tree canopy coverage. (I recently learned that Nebraska has the second lowest in the country behind - barely - North Dakota.) Omaha is around, I think, 17% and shrinking due to the Ash trees getting wiped out. Meanwhile, Atlanta is at about 48%!
Renovator2559
Human Relations

Post by Renovator2559 »

Cermak wrote: Tue Aug 29, 2023 8:04 pm Southern cities will always have an advantage because so many people dislike winter. Ever since the invention of house air conditioning southern cities have boomed. But that could be changing with the on going drought problems in much of the southwest and parts of Texas.
Tell that to Minneapolis, Toronto and other Canadian cities. As well as Scandinavian countries which by the way are rated as the happiest places in the world and some of them bike in winter! :)

Also we have plenty of people here in Omaha wanting summer to end as the last few days we received a taste of the sauna weather that the South receives for months (though our hot summer nights become comfortable), where people are holed up inside with air conditioning, pre-cool their cars so as not to get burned by upholstery. Also, nights are uncomfortably hot.

I'll take a few extreme hot and extreme cold days a year vs either of the extremes for months (winter is not Minneapolis winter). I love the 4 seasons.

Dusty wrote: Tue Aug 29, 2023 8:17 pm There is more to a city than sprawl factor. Omaha just needs to keep building amazing venues, parks, attractions, etc. Make Omaha a city that has incredible quality of life. It's the big and bold ideas that will continue to shape our identity. We can look at other cities for ideas for inspiration, but we need to make those ideas uniquely Omaha.

That's a good mindset to have and yes the sheep need to be herded. :lol:

Believe it or not when I go to a sprawled city like Orlando, sure there might be attractions but so much time is wasted, stressed out driving for 40mins on a 15mile in traffic congestion one way, aggressive florida drivers. Less attractions get covered, toll roads, few disjointed walkable areas. Going through sprawl feels mundane at times and reminds me of west omaha, kansas city, tulsa; places that look alike, asphalt jungles, parking lot jungles, strip malls and long bars of traffic lights. (I guess some people see beauty in those things :roll: )

As for Dallas, I'll only go there if I have to but its a city that I would not go for vacation, as it is sad having to cross highways, overpasses, shadeless giant parking lots, empty sidewalks, ghost town like downtown do to the inhospitable weather even in the morning in early May.
nativeomahan
County Board

Post by nativeomahan »

Things no one can change, no matter how much we would want:
1. General Climate. Yes it has gotten measurably warmer the past 50 years, but ice scrapers, snow shovels, mittens and scarves are still required 3-4 months of the year. As others have noted, most people, if given the choice, prefer to be too warm as opposed to too cold.
2. Geography. I have never met a person who has told me “Gee, I really wish I didn’t live so close to the ocean (or mountains). It just isn’t gonna happen here. The best we can do is relish the fact we live within a few hours flight time to those locales. And honestly, I have met many, many Denver residents who tell me they haven’t set foot into the mountains in 5 or 10 years, and quite a few residents of Puerto Vallarta that spend fewer than 5 days a year with their toes in the sand on a beach. So there is that.
3. Demographic Issues. Metro Omaha remains predominantly a city of one racial characteristic, although that is slowly evolving. Forty years ago I seldom heard Spanish, Farsi, Russian, Japanese, Korean or Chinese dialects spoken when I was out dining or grocery shopping. Now it is somewhat common, although nowhere near as common as in any large city. I don’t see us waking up anytime soon to being a truly multi-ethnic, majority minority city.
4. Taxes. They are like death, people. They will never get reduced in any meaningful way.

What can be changed:
1. Quality of life infrastructure: Better mass transit; increased recreational opportunities (our park system recently got a shot in the arm with the reopened downtown parks, and the number of suburban lakeside parks with recreation trails keeps growing); increased entertainment options (Steelhouse, reopened Admiral, Astro, Joslyn addition, Luminarium, improvements at Lauritzen and Fontenelle Forest). We will never be a good bike commuter city because we have too many hills for that. But urban planners can insist that new developments be walker friendly, and not focus on big parking lots that by definition discourage walking.
2. Inclusivity: Social diversity is key to making talented people feel welcomed here. Most people now understand this. When a physician, nurse, scientist, educator, IT specialist or any other person in a highly valued profession is offered a job transfer to Omaha, will our city make them feel comfortable moving themselves, and any partner or other family member here? Will they feel accepted given their brown or black skin, their heavily accented English skills, their veganism, their being atheist or Muslim or Buddhist? Will they find a welcoming community that shares their ethnic, social, religious or sexual orientation? Omaha has made strides in that regard, but so much more needs to be done.
3. Health care: Omaha increasingly has become a regional health care magnet, most notably with UNMC. These investments need to continue, as a way to encourage older citizens in particular to stay here is by assuring them (me) that our local health care systems are among the best in the nation.
4. Easy access to other places: Omaha is in the middle of “flyover country”. We are covered by a staple in a map of the nation. That just won’t change. However if our air travel opportunities are plentiful, residents can get to wonderful other locations within a 2-3 hour flight, and closer international locations in time for lunch. Eppley serves no direct international destinations at this time, a fact I attribute most to our relative geographic isolation, but I arrive at our home in México in time for a late lunch (after waking up at an ungodly hour). I can also get to Toronto and Montreal in time for lunch. These travel opportunities help people decide that a move to Omaha (or continuing to call the city “home”) is worth the city’s otherwise geographic isolation.
5. High quality educational opportunities. Our K-12 public schools are, generally speaking, of good to excellent quality, and our universities also rank high, and are relatively affordable. We have dental, pharmacy, law and medical schools. Continued strong investments in these educational systems costs money, often tax money. But we get what we pay for.

I’ve lived in Omaha since birth, and I have witnessed our city evolve. Not always in a good way, but in many ways it is a healthier, more vibrant place to live than when I grew up in the 1960s and 1970s. My travels to other cities and countries shows me both how well Omaha is adapting to change as well as ways where we don’t quite measure up. But the means to improve is within our grasp if we are up to the challenge.
Athomsfere
Planning Board

Post by Athomsfere »

nativeomahan wrote: Thu Aug 31, 2023 11:00 am Things no one can change, no matter how much we would want:
1. General Climate. Yes it has gotten measurably warmer the past 50 years, but ice scrapers, snow shovels, mittens and scarves are still required 3-4 months of the year. As others have noted, most people, if given the choice, prefer to be too warm as opposed to too cold.
2. Geography. I have never met a person who has told me “Gee, I really wish I didn’t live so close to the ocean (or mountains). It just isn’t gonna happen here. The best we can do is relish the fact we live within a few hours flight time to those locales. And honestly, I have met many, many Denver residents who tell me they haven’t set foot into the mountains in 5 or 10 years, and quite a few residents of Puerto Vallarta that spend fewer than 5 days a year with their toes in the sand on a beach. So there is that.
3. Demographic Issues. Metro Omaha remains predominantly a city of one racial characteristic, although that is slowly evolving. Forty years ago I seldom heard Spanish, Farsi, Russian, Japanese, Korean or Chinese dialects spoken when I was out dining or grocery shopping. Now it is somewhat common, although nowhere near as common as in any large city. I don’t see us waking up anytime soon to being a truly multi-ethnic, majority minority city.
4. Taxes. They are like death, people. They will never get reduced in any meaningful way.

What can be changed:
1. Quality of life infrastructure: Better mass transit; increased recreational opportunities (our park system recently got a shot in the arm with the reopened downtown parks, and the number of suburban lakeside parks with recreation trails keeps growing); increased entertainment options (Steelhouse, reopened Admiral, Astro, Joslyn addition, Luminarium, improvements at Lauritzen and Fontenelle Forest). We will never be a good bike commuter city because we have too many hills for that. But urban planners can insist that new developments be walker friendly, and not focus on big parking lots that by definition discourage walking.
2. Inclusivity: Social diversity is key to making talented people feel welcomed here. Most people now understand this. When a physician, nurse, scientist, educator, IT specialist or any other person in a highly valued profession is offered a job transfer to Omaha, will our city make them feel comfortable moving themselves, and any partner or other family member here? Will they feel accepted given their brown or black skin, their heavily accented English skills, their veganism, their being atheist or Muslim or Buddhist? Will they find a welcoming community that shares their ethnic, social, religious or sexual orientation? Omaha has made strides in that regard, but so much more needs to be done.
3. Health care: Omaha increasingly has become a regional health care magnet, most notably with UNMC. These investments need to continue, as a way to encourage older citizens in particular to stay here is by assuring them (me) that our local health care systems are among the best in the nation.
4. Easy access to other places: Omaha is in the middle of “flyover country”. We are covered by a staple in a map of the nation. That just won’t change. However if our air travel opportunities are plentiful, residents can get to wonderful other locations within a 2-3 hour flight, and closer international locations in time for lunch. Eppley serves no direct international destinations at this time, a fact I attribute most to our relative geographic isolation, but I arrive at our home in México in time for a late lunch (after waking up at an ungodly hour). I can also get to Toronto and Montreal in time for lunch. These travel opportunities help people decide that a move to Omaha (or continuing to call the city “home”) is worth the city’s otherwise geographic isolation.
5. High quality educational opportunities. Our K-12 public schools are, generally speaking, of good to excellent quality, and our universities also rank high, and are relatively affordable. We have dental, pharmacy, law and medical schools. Continued strong investments in these educational systems costs money, often tax money. But we get what we pay for.

I’ve lived in Omaha since birth, and I have witnessed our city evolve. Not always in a good way, but in many ways it is a healthier, more vibrant place to live than when I grew up in the 1960s and 1970s. My travels to other cities and countries shows me both how well Omaha is adapting to change as well as ways where we don’t quite measure up. But the means to improve is within our grasp if we are up to the challenge.
Most of this is exactly what I always say.

Although, I disagree slightly on the bike bit. MSP has the same hills, SF has hills. If we had even half decent bike infrastructure people would bike it. But I can't fault anyone for not wanting to commute uphill, with no cover, in a snowy gutter while cars whiz past at 60MPH.
Greg S
City Council

Post by Greg S »

I have been in Recruiting and HR for 3 decades. I have participated in focus groups and committees at the Chamber and with others over the years on attracting talent to this region from elsewhere. We can all site reasons and changes for this not to be an issue, but previously and currently geography is working against us with a certain portion of the population. It may change over time but right now it is something that works against Omaha (and other northern cities). Fortunately the chamber and those with Heritage Services are aware of this and it's why we get such huge private investment in quality of life things here like the redone mall downtown, CHI Center, the Luminarium, zoo and others.

I can tell you it came up in discussions on who would land Space Command. I know recruit for positions all over the world, but still a chunk here.

Other things that come up when some evaluate a move is major league sports. I think we do a nice job on the side of that with the CWS and how big time UNL sports are, along with Creighton basketball and UNO hockey.

Greg
Louie
County Board

Post by Louie »

nativeomahan wrote: Thu Aug 31, 2023 11:00 am Things no one can change, no matter how much we would want:

What can be changed:

Really well said, and couldn't agree more.
nativeomahan
County Board

Post by nativeomahan »

I guess I should have added the lack of major league sports teams to my list of things that won’t change anytime in the foreseeable future. Even if major league basketball, football, baseball, hockey and soccer eventually expand to new markets, it’s not likely that Omaha will get any of that action. We just don’t have the population or television market share needed to sustain big league sports. So we do the best with what we have. The Chiefs and Royals aren’t all that far away.
Greg S
City Council

Post by Greg S »

Athomsfere wrote: Thu Aug 31, 2023 11:25 am

What can be changed:

Although, I disagree slightly on the bike bit. MSP has the same hills, SF has hills. If we had even half decent bike infrastructure people would bike it. But I can't fault anyone for not wanting to commute uphill, with no cover, in a snowy gutter while cars whiz past at 60MPH.
I agree with all of this as well. I do think Omaha won't ever be a top bike community due to hills. That great ones just don't have the hills we do. That being said, we can definitely make it better here with more trails and bike lanes.

Greg
ita
County Board

Post by ita »

Greg S wrote: Wed Sep 06, 2023 11:28 am

What can be changed:

I agree with all of this as well. I do think Omaha won't ever be a top bike community due to hills. That great ones just don't have the hills we do. That being said, we can definitely make it better here with more trails and bike lanes.

Greg
It will be interesting to see in a year or two if Heartland's B-cycle sees a jump in membership and usage after implementing a full electric bike fleet. I know we continue to need improved infrastructure, but affordable access to electric bicycles is also a nice improvement to our multimodal system.
Garrett
Planning Board

Post by Garrett »

ita wrote: Wed Sep 06, 2023 11:34 am
Greg S wrote: Wed Sep 06, 2023 11:28 am

What can be changed:

Greg
It will be interesting to see in a year or two if Heartland's B-cycle sees a jump in membership and usage after implementing a full electric bike fleet. I know we continue to need improved infrastructure, but affordable access to electric bicycles is also a nice improvement to our multimodal system.
I signed up for CitiBike here in NYC in 2020 and initially mostly used the standard bike, but then over time came to use the E-Bikes 95% of the time. They're pedal e-bikes so there's still a bit of exertion involved with hills but it's still super useful.
OMA-->CHI-->NYC
Renovator2559
Human Relations

Post by Renovator2559 »

ita wrote: Wed Sep 06, 2023 11:34 am It will be interesting to see in a year or two if Heartland's B-cycle sees a jump in membership and usage after implementing a full electric bike fleet. I know we continue to need improved infrastructure, but affordable access to electric bicycles is also a nice improvement to our multimodal system.
The Heartland B-Cycle is getting plenty of use big time. I have the membership and bike regularly. I love speeding down the wonderful hills of downtown and I am able to peddle with little effort up the hills.
Des Moines also has the same bikes with different branding, I use the same app for both locations. Though the Des Moines bike share is more expensive and their stations are not as numerous, with some non-electric bikes.

Also, I've noticed that LA, Phoenix both have the same bikes too.
Omaha Cowboy
The Don

Post by Omaha Cowboy »

Meanwhile on Omaha Reddit, where there are nearly 70k folks, this nonsense-

At least most of the 250 plus responses are hard-checking this individuals “point of view”.. There is a healthy dose of the anti-Omaha clan rearing their ugly heads though…

Ciao..LiO…Peace
Go Cowboys!
ita
County Board

Post by ita »

Omaha Cowboy wrote: Wed Sep 06, 2023 6:23 pm Meanwhile on Omaha Reddit, where there are nearly 70k folks, this nonsense-

At least most of the 250 plus responses are hard-checking this individuals “point of view”.. There is a healthy dose of the anti-Omaha clan rearing their ugly heads though…

Ciao..LiO…Peace
Currently 0 upvotes, that's Omaha pride for you.
Garrett
Planning Board

Post by Garrett »

It has zero upvotes and clearly wasn't well received by the reddit at large. I think Omaha will survive haha

In turn, this super positive Omaha post has 200 upvotes and other positive comments.

OMA-->CHI-->NYC