Husker Train

General discussion on all things Omaha.

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

buildomaha
Human Relations

Husker Train

Post by buildomaha »

I was just thinking about transportation for the Husker games. While at the game today I realized that the train tracks go literally through campus and was wondering why there isn't some sort of passenger "Husker Train" or "Husker Express" going from Omaha to Lincoln. I know that they have something like this implemented in Des Moines/Iowa City for Hawkeye games. It would be a really cool concept and would save on traffic/parking for the games. Thoughts?
#gohawks
daveoma
Parks & Recreation

Re: Husker Train

Post by daveoma »

Agreed, this would be awesome. :-)
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

buildomaha wrote:I was just thinking about transportation for the Husker games. While at the game today I realized that the train tracks go literally through campus and was wondering why there isn't some sort of passenger "Husker Train" or "Husker Express" going from Omaha to Lincoln. I know that they have something like this implemented in Des Moines/Iowa City for Hawkeye games. It would be a really cool concept and would save on traffic/parking for the games. Thoughts?

For the Iowa games I am guessing what you are thinking of is the train that runs the short distance from Corroville to the stadium. I do not know of anything that runs from Des Moines.

Many years ago it was the norm to have a train run from Omaha to Lincoln for games.

two or three years ago they did a special event train for one Game day that ran from Omaha to Lincoln. The cost was pretty high. Not sure the train was even filled.
For the record  NEBUGEATER does not equal BUGEATER    !!!!!!!
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

... .And WELCOME to the neighborhood !!!!! :thumb:
For the record  NEBUGEATER does not equal BUGEATER    !!!!!!!
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Grad study: Husker train from Omaha to Lincoln is feasible

A railroad service to take Husker football fans from Omaha to Lincoln and back could succeed commercially, according to a professional project study done by a recent University of Nebraska-Lincoln master's graduate in community and regional planning.

Forgotten to many, a football train used to run from Omaha to Lincoln, but it stopped more than 30 years ago.
bigredmed
Parks & Recreation

Post by bigredmed »

Coyote wrote:Grad study: Husker train from Omaha to Lincoln is feasible

A railroad service to take Husker football fans from Omaha to Lincoln and back could succeed commercially, according to a professional project study done by a recent University of Nebraska-Lincoln master's graduate in community and regional planning.

Forgotten to many, a football train used to run from Omaha to Lincoln, but it stopped more than 30 years ago.
Mom and Dad rode that back in the 60's. What was cool about it, was a group could reserve a whole car and party all the way down and back.
SwedishChef
New to the Neighborhood

Post by SwedishChef »

two or three years ago they did a special event train for one Game day that ran from Omaha to Lincoln. The cost was pretty high. Not sure the train was even filled.
Yep, two years ago for the Miami game: http://www.omaha.com/money/huskers-foot ... ef12c.html

I actually ended up driving alongside it on Hwy 6/Cornhusker Hwy on the northeast side of Lincoln while heading to the game. I remember it looking pretty full! It was a cool sight -- vintage cars and everything.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Denver/Amtrak/Winter Park just revived the Ski Train using Amtrak equipment, may be they could do the same here?

Here is the Denver Story:
http://www.denverpost.com/2016/08/24/de ... returning/

The old husker trains were organized by Bill Kratville, a local railroad historian/author/photographer, he passed away a few years ago. With Amtrak already servicing Omaha and Lincoln, and the Lincoln station being close to Memorial Stadium, it might be possible to get Amtrak to operate a train if they can make money. The biggest problem is getting the empty train to and from Omaha. The nearest Amtrak Equipment wound need to come from Chicago. Sure they could bring it where with the regular Amtrak train, but they would need somewhere to park the train overnight since the Chicago to Omaha Amtrak get in Omaha at 11pm. The Omaha Amtrak station had an extra track at the station, but that was ripped out several years ago.

Good Idea, hope it happens, but I am not holding my breath.