School Buses are disasters waiting to happen.

General discussion on all things Omaha.

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

GRANDPASMUCKER
Human Relations

School Buses are disasters waiting to happen.

Post by GRANDPASMUCKER »

The latest school bus disaster is horrible. We got a bus driver that had an expired license. The bus driver is 61 and either senile already or on drugs or alcohol or just not very swift. Then we got a kid under the age of 10 who does not speak English. What a recipe for trouble. Kid left on the short bus and just sits there for hours. :what: How do you not see a kid on the short bus? It was a little bus not a big long one. If that was me when I was a kid I think I would of got up and figured how to get out.

They been saying these school bus drivers get $17 an hour which is more then likely some kind of scam or rat race. People want their kids taken to school for them and they don't want to pay for it or they just want to pay a little bit. The buck is getting squeezed tight just like it always has and we got a whole lot of shady and undesirables driving those buses. The joke about the school bus driver in the Simpsons cartoon is that it is not a joke as the bus drivers really are like that in real life.
Busguy2010
County Board

Re: School Buses are disasters waiting to happen.

Post by Busguy2010 »

Excuse me for judging, but the drivers I've seen so far this year don't look so competent. I'm not surprised they would be willing to take almost anyone at this point.
Trips
Library Board

Post by Trips »

Someone I know is very familiar with the school bus system in a town outside Omaha. They have left several kids in the bus at the end of the night. All drivers are required to walk the bus each night and must not have. This individual has requested a buzzer technology that is cheap and been around for 25 years. When the bus is turned off the driver has to walk to the back and physically turn off the buzzer. Simple and it works but they have not done it yet.

They are also concerned that in Nebraska there is not a max age for drivers. They have drivers that are 80+ still on the roads and hitting cars in parking lots on a regular basis.

The one thing that they do have are seatbelts that the kids wear.
GRANDPASMUCKER
Human Relations

Post by GRANDPASMUCKER »

I have a good friend who's 75 year old Dad was driving Omaha School Buses until this year. The guy has had a couple of heart attacks and heart by-pass surgeries and hes 75 driving around kids. If that is not bad enough the guy is hard to communicate with as well. I think as long as they can still breath the bus company will take them.
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

You get what you pay for...
jessep28
Planning Board

Post by jessep28 »

Bus driving pays relatively well for the skill set required. The issue is that it's a part time position with split shift hours. The serious Class B CDL drivers probably just go drive box trucks. You'll get full time hours and don't have to deal with screaming kids, or their screaming parents.
Verbum Domini Manet in Aeternum