Abandoned Places of Omaha

General discussion on all things Omaha.

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

Desmoire
New to the Neighborhood

Abandoned Places of Omaha

Post by Desmoire »

I am a sucker for abandoned buildings and what not. I think it all sparked when I first saw videos of the inside of present day Chernobyl. Can anyone think of any interesting abandoned buildings/factories/etc in the Omaha Area? Pictures would also be a big plus. :D
BRoss
IT Director

Re: Abandoned Places of Omaha

Post by BRoss »

I can't think of any that aren't being torn down or renovated.
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

HR Paperstacks wrote:I can't think of any that aren't being torn down or renovated.

Crossroads. :D
For the record  NEBUGEATER does not equal BUGEATER    !!!!!!!
BRoss
IT Director

Post by BRoss »

nebugeater wrote:
HR Paperstacks wrote:I can't think of any that aren't being torn down or renovated.

Crossroads. :D
Ok then, Conagra.
GetUrban
Planning Board

Post by GetUrban »

These weren't all abandoned and were far from beyond repair, but the best collection of photos I can think of is this.....

http://landmark.cityofomaha.org/gallery ... ers-canyon

A couple of my favorite photos...from the Meyers Collection

I remember going through some of the other Old Market buildings in the late 90's before they were renovated, such as those south of Jackson between 10th & 12th. It was fun thinking of all that happened in those buildings before and the possibilities that were yet to come.

I have this book, which has some great photos of abandoned, obsolete structures...
https://www.amazon.com/Dead-Tech-Guide- ... 094051222X
He said "They are some big, ugly red brick buildings"
...and then they were gone.
daveoma
Parks & Recreation

Post by daveoma »

There are quite a few abandoned buildings along north 16th street.
Greg S
City Council

Post by Greg S »

It's not abandoned yet but what about that old national guard area off of n 72nd? Kind of a strange place.

Greg
GetUrban
Planning Board

Post by GetUrban »

Greg S wrote:It's not abandoned yet but what about that old national guard area off of n 72nd? Kind of a strange place.

Greg
There are a few buildings in that complex that have the roofs caved-in with trees starting to grow out of the interiors. I never can tell if any of that old construction equipment on the lot just south of McKinley on N72nd ever moves. I think that radar site/dome may still be active though.
He said "They are some big, ugly red brick buildings"
...and then they were gone.
Desmoire
New to the Neighborhood

Post by Desmoire »

Does anyone know about the large silos along I-80? They obviously look abandoned. Interesting to know the history of that structure.

I remember when I was a young kid in the mid 90s we used to take Harrison st all the way east and drive under the kennedy freeway bridge somewhere around there was a large factory that looked completely abandoned and cool.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Desmoire wrote:Does anyone know about the large silos along I-80? They obviously look abandoned. Interesting to know the history of that structure.

I remember when I was a young kid in the mid 90s we used to take Harrison st all the way east and drive under the kennedy freeway bridge somewhere around there was a large factory that looked completely abandoned and cool.
Grain Elevator to Climbing Gym
GRANDPASMUCKER
Human Relations

Post by GRANDPASMUCKER »

Desmoire wrote:I am a sucker for abandoned buildings and what not. I think it all sparked when I first saw videos of the inside of present day Chernobyl. Can anyone think of any interesting abandoned buildings/factories/etc in the Omaha Area? Pictures would also be a big plus. :D

I don't think its responsible or prudent to be naming off places on here that are abandoned and vulnerable. There is no need to encourage some of these nuts here on the net to be trespassing or vandalizing or stealing from unguarded and unprotected buildings.