Recycling Florescent lights

General discussion on all things Omaha.

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

Coyote
City Council

Recycling Florescent lights

Post by Coyote »

Is there any place that accepts old florescent light tubes?
debradomayer
Library Board

Re: Recycling Florescent lights

Post by debradomayer »

We put a couple out with our trash & they were left on the lawn. So, now we know that Deffenbaugh/WasteManagement doesn't take them! There is the recycling center on South 60th between Q & Harrison that does have a glass bin. The bins are unattended, so maybe there?
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Take them to Under the Sink:
http://www.underthesink.org/
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

As a home owner you can dispose of them to the landfill. As a business you cannot.

EDIT

Here is the link to the Nebr DEQ that states this.

http://164.119.180.2/__86256873006009CB ... 652F4?Open
For the record  NEBUGEATER does not equal BUGEATER    !!!!!!!
MadMartin8
Planning Board

Post by MadMartin8 »

Use them in a backyard wrestling league?
No posts exist for this topic
jessep28
Planning Board

Post by jessep28 »

Big box home improvement stores still take them I think. However I wouldn't doubt if they just throw everything in the trash compactor anyways.
Verbum Domini Manet in Aeternum
Dundeemaha
Human Relations

Post by Dundeemaha »

The big box stores can't throw them in the trash, they pay a "recycler" to put them on a barge heading back to asia that stops in africa and drops them in large open landfills where kids pick through the toxins for hard drives and other things they can sell.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

jessep28 wrote:Big box home improvement stores still take them I think. However I wouldn't doubt if they just throw everything in the trash compactor anyways.
20 years ago when I was working at Bakers, we would wait until the large trash dumpster was empty and then throw them like javelins at the back of the dumpster. Great fun for high-school kids.
skinzfan23
City Council

Post by skinzfan23 »

Brad wrote:
jessep28 wrote:Big box home improvement stores still take them I think. However I wouldn't doubt if they just throw everything in the trash compactor anyways.
20 years ago when I was working at Bakers, we would wait until the large trash dumpster was empty and then throw them like javelins at the back of the dumpster. Great fun for high-school kids.
We did the same thing when i worked for Taco Johns. :D
jessep28
Planning Board

Post by jessep28 »

skinzfan23 wrote:
Brad wrote:
We did the same thing when i worked for Taco Johns. :D
When I worked at Baker's, I didn't mess with light bulbs too much. I did receive a mild electrical shock trying to get a fluorescent light bulb to work in a freezer case once. Now that I'm more mechanically inclined than when I was a teenager, the ballast was probably bad. Oh well.

I was in dairy before I quit, and do recall throwing out of date/damaged gallons of milk, eggs, yogurt containers, etc against the trash compactor wall. The stoners in deli thought it was fun too, and would ask me to hold on to stuff I needed to throw out so they could do it
Verbum Domini Manet in Aeternum