Sirius XM radio

General discussion on all things Omaha.

Moderators: Coyote, Omaha Cowboy, Brad, nebugeater

User avatar
nebugeater
County Board
Posts: 6082
Joined: Wed Aug 04, 2004 6:07 pm
Location: Gretna NE

Sirius XM radio

Postby nebugeater » Mon Jan 30, 2017 7:10 pm

Does anyone have Sirius XM in their vehicle and drives around 180th & Q. I have it in my Truck and EVERY TIME I am near 180th & Q it drops out no matter what station I am listing to. It is an older 2005 OEM radio and I have just written it off and Oh Well. More specific it is about 179th as you get close to and enter into the Hy Vee Lot. There is no overhead obstructions. There are some cell towers near by.

I got a new to me 2013 car that has XM too and I have the 2 moth free trial activated. Does the same thing. That got me to believe it is not the older radio in my truck. Just wondering if anyone else has noticed anything.
For the record  NEBUGEATER does not equal BUGEATER    !!!!!!!

bigredmed
Parks & Recreation
Posts: 1905
Joined: Mon Jun 06, 2011 12:45 pm
Location: Omaha Metro Area

Re: Sirius XM radio

Postby bigredmed » Mon Jan 30, 2017 7:57 pm

There are a lot of places where the signal drops. Tall building to the south of you will do it.

User avatar
nebugeater
County Board
Posts: 6082
Joined: Wed Aug 04, 2004 6:07 pm
Location: Gretna NE

Re: Sirius XM radio

Postby nebugeater » Mon Jan 30, 2017 8:15 pm

bigredmed wrote:There are a lot of places where the signal drops. Tall building to the south of you will do it.



I get that I know when I deal with drops from obstructions with the view of the Sat. That is not what is happening in this area
For the record  NEBUGEATER does not equal BUGEATER    !!!!!!!

MadMartin8
Planning Board
Posts: 2136
Joined: Sun Mar 11, 2012 12:48 pm
Location: Beyond Thunderdome

Re: Sirius XM radio

Postby MadMartin8 » Mon Jan 30, 2017 11:02 pm

nebugeater wrote:Does anyone have Sirius XM in their vehicle and drives around 180th & Q. I have it in my Truck and EVERY TIME I am near 180th & Q it drops out no matter what station I am listing to. It is an older 2005 OEM radio and I have just written it off and Oh Well. More specific it is about 179th as you get close to and enter into the Hy Vee Lot. There is no overhead obstructions. There are some cell towers near by.

I got a new to me 2013 car that has XM too and I have the 2 moth free trial activated. Does the same thing. That got me to believe it is not the older radio in my truck. Just wondering if anyone else has noticed anything.



My father, when he lived in Omaha, had the same issue in that area. Strange.
No posts exist for this topic

User avatar
Omababe
Planning Board
Posts: 2180
Joined: Thu Jul 05, 2007 9:47 am
Contact:

Re: Sirius XM radio

Postby Omababe » Tue Jan 31, 2017 4:08 am

I'm at 180th and Q at least once a week and I've never noticed XM dropping out there.

The one place I do notice it drop is on Stony Brook between Hy-Vee and 156th.

zippy
Home Owners Association
Posts: 88
Joined: Wed Mar 09, 2005 5:55 pm
Location: East of Elkhorn

Re: Sirius XM radio

Postby zippy » Tue Jan 31, 2017 7:34 am

Not sure if this is relevant, but both of those locations are near Millard high schools.

bigredmed
Parks & Recreation
Posts: 1905
Joined: Mon Jun 06, 2011 12:45 pm
Location: Omaha Metro Area

Re: Sirius XM radio

Postby bigredmed » Tue Jan 31, 2017 7:41 am

Is your receiver being jammed by harmful interference from some microwave transmitter in the schools?

MadMartin8
Planning Board
Posts: 2136
Joined: Sun Mar 11, 2012 12:48 pm
Location: Beyond Thunderdome

Re: Sirius XM radio

Postby MadMartin8 » Tue Jan 31, 2017 7:58 am

zippy wrote:Not sure if this is relevant, but both of those locations are near Millard high schools.


And HyVee's.
No posts exist for this topic

User avatar
nebugeater
County Board
Posts: 6082
Joined: Wed Aug 04, 2004 6:07 pm
Location: Gretna NE

Re: Sirius XM radio

Postby nebugeater » Tue Jan 31, 2017 9:28 am

Good Points.

It starts to drop as I get to the 180th & Q intersection when traveling East. If I pull into the Hyvee lot and get close to the store it seems to cut in and out. As I continue to go East down Q it lasts for about .75 to 1 block
For the record  NEBUGEATER does not equal BUGEATER    !!!!!!!

User avatar
nebugeater
County Board
Posts: 6082
Joined: Wed Aug 04, 2004 6:07 pm
Location: Gretna NE

Re: Sirius XM radio

Postby nebugeater » Tue Jan 31, 2017 6:42 pm

I know at some level it is crazy to pay for this service but I still can justify it as I get the streaming service too.

So for those of you that do pay for Sat radio who pays the going rate and who calls in at renewal and plays CSR rolete to get a better deal?
For the record  NEBUGEATER does not equal BUGEATER    !!!!!!!

User avatar
HR Paperstacks
Parks & Recreation
Posts: 1702
Joined: Fri Aug 04, 2006 7:39 pm
Location: Midtown Crossing

Re: Sirius XM radio

Postby HR Paperstacks » Tue Jan 31, 2017 9:35 pm

I had a trial when I got my new truck. I didn't really care for it. They really tried to get me to renew at the reduced rate. But I just like Pandora One better. I can customize my stations to my liking. And the Thumbprint station offers a lot of variety.

lisanstan
Home Owners Association
Posts: 231
Joined: Wed Aug 10, 2005 6:20 pm
Location: O! (maha)

Re: Sirius XM radio

Postby lisanstan » Thu Feb 09, 2017 6:35 pm

I have some new dead spots over in CB around Sapp Bros. It started a few months ago. I renegotiate in April and I'm going to insist that they add the streaming service to my subscription at no additional cost. I lose the signal in my car on about 1/2 my commute currently and it's just not worth the price if I can't listen at home.

User avatar
Omababe
Planning Board
Posts: 2180
Joined: Thu Jul 05, 2007 9:47 am
Contact:

Re: Sirius XM radio

Postby Omababe » Fri Feb 10, 2017 5:51 am

lisanstan wrote:I have some new dead spots over in CB around Sapp Bros. It started a few months ago. I renegotiate in April and I'm going to insist that they add the streaming service to my subscription at no additional cost. I lose the signal in my car on about 1/2 my commute currently and it's just not worth the price if I can't listen at home.


Mine works fine all over Council Bluffs. Amazingly it works most of the time in the Ameristar garage. I've never had any problems on South 24th.

User avatar
nebugeater
County Board
Posts: 6082
Joined: Wed Aug 04, 2004 6:07 pm
Location: Gretna NE

Re: Sirius XM radio

Postby nebugeater » Fri Feb 10, 2017 6:16 am

lisanstan wrote:I have some new dead spots over in CB around Sapp Bros. It started a few months ago. I renegotiate in April and I'm going to insist that they add the streaming service to my subscription at no additional cost. I lose the signal in my car on about 1/2 my commute currently and it's just not worth the price if I can't listen at home.



I just renewed. As a point of reference I was able to get all access for $129 for 12 months. All access, if you are not aware, includes every XM sat channel and the streaming service. IF you are paying asking price and wanting them to just add streaming for that price you can do much better. I was on the phone for 11 min total to get that and just started by saying I wanted to cancel unless they could do much better for a 12 month deal than what they showed on their web site for current pricing.
For the record  NEBUGEATER does not equal BUGEATER    !!!!!!!

User avatar
nebugeater
County Board
Posts: 6082
Joined: Wed Aug 04, 2004 6:07 pm
Location: Gretna NE

Re: Sirius XM radio

Postby nebugeater » Fri Feb 10, 2017 6:19 am

HR Paperstacks wrote:I had a trial when I got my new truck. I didn't really care for it. They really tried to get me to renew at the reduced rate. But I just like Pandora One better. I can customize my stations to my liking. And the Thumbprint station offers a lot of variety.



It is not worth it at the advertised price. I do like it for the ML Baseball coverage of every game and if I stream it I can get every home broadcast team. Get all the home team broadcasts over the Sat. For the discounted $ I seem to be able to get every year except last year when I forgot to call I can make it work.
For the record  NEBUGEATER does not equal BUGEATER    !!!!!!!

User avatar
jessep28
Planning Board
Posts: 2360
Joined: Wed Sep 03, 2008 4:10 pm
Location: Omaha Metro Area

Re: Sirius XM radio

Postby jessep28 » Sun Feb 12, 2017 5:19 pm

I appreciate satellite radio and streaming services in the morning when most of the FM terrestrial radio stations in South Central NE are simulcasting Todd & Tyler or playing country music.
Verbum Domini Manet in Aeternum

User avatar
nebugeater
County Board
Posts: 6082
Joined: Wed Aug 04, 2004 6:07 pm
Location: Gretna NE

Re: Sirius XM radio

Postby nebugeater » Mon Feb 13, 2017 6:09 am

jessep28 wrote:I appreciate satellite radio and streaming services in the morning when most of the FM terrestrial radio stations in South Central NE are simulcasting Todd & Tyler or playing country music.



I listen to a lot of types of music including country so I am not on the same place there as you are.

As for T&T I haven't listened to them on a daily bases for a LONG time. Every time I give them a shot and listen for an hour or so I am convinced I have already heard that show about 15 years ago. There is nothing fresh or new that they do, at least from my sampling.
For the record  NEBUGEATER does not equal BUGEATER    !!!!!!!

lisanstan
Home Owners Association
Posts: 231
Joined: Wed Aug 10, 2005 6:20 pm
Location: O! (maha)

Re: Sirius XM radio

Postby lisanstan » Sat Feb 18, 2017 5:44 pm

I'm paying less than $100/year. I will not pay full price. Our current car uses XM and it has the worst reception. When we had it in our car with Sirius we didn't have the dead spots like XM. XM obviously got the |expletive| satellites.


Return to “General Discussion”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests