General Mixed Use Development & Freeway Discussion

General discussion on all things Omaha.

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

BRoss
IT Director

Re: Boys Town and farmland (144th Dodge)

Post by BRoss »

RockHarbor wrote:Also: I can't tell if Sarpy County alone is being aggressive about its new growth (and projected growth), or if Omaha & the State of Nebraska kinda want most of the new Omaha-area growth to be down there as well? It just feels like that to me -- for some reason.
Omaha wants it more in the northwest where they can build their tax base. They even have plans to widen all the arterial roads up there at some point (some of the projects from that are in the LRTP). The area has seen a lot of growth, but of course not as much as the southwest.

I feel like the city sort of neglects the southwest to discourage more explosive growth around there.
buildomaha
Human Relations

Post by buildomaha »

TitosBuritoBarn wrote:
RockHarbor wrote:I ask: Does Minneapolis, KC, Des Moines, Denver, St. Louis, or Wichita have a tight, grid-orientated "urban village" plotted in the middle of their spacious suburbs?
Yes.

Minneapolis (Clover Ridge - Chaska, MN)

Kansas City (Lenexa City Center - Lenexa, KS)

Des Moines (West Glen Town Center/Village of Ponderosa - West Des Moines, IA):

Denver (Arista - Broomfield, CO)

St. Louis (New Town - St. Charles, MO)

Wichita:
None, not cool enough.

Bonus: Austin (The Domain - Austin, TX)

Do you want us to be Austin or Wichita?

B) An elevated expressway in suburbia. Furthermore, suburbia in a city of the Heartland. What other city has done such a thing?
Texas cities. All of them. At roller coaster heights. https://www.google.com/maps/@30.4696553 ... 56!6m1!1e1
I was looking back at this post and from the images, all of these developments are filled with buildings all conforming to a theme and the are all similar and quite ugly to me. It looks very cookie cutter and there is nothing special about the architecture whatsoever.
#gohawks
RockHarbor
Planning Board

Post by RockHarbor »

HR Paperstacks wrote:
RockHarbor wrote:Also: I can't tell if Sarpy County alone is being aggressive about its new growth (and projected growth), or if Omaha & the State of Nebraska kinda want most of the new Omaha-area growth to be down there as well? It just feels like that to me -- for some reason.
Omaha wants it more in the northwest where they can build their tax base. They even have plans to widen all the arterial roads up there at some point (some of the projects from that are in the LRTP). The area has seen a lot of growth, but of course not as much as the southwest.

I feel like the city sort of neglects the southwest to discourage more explosive growth around there.
Oh, this is where ALL this discussion went. I noticed it was gone this morning, but I wasn't sure what happened...

OK, I'm glad to hear your thoughts. I guess I was thinking/feeling it seemed like the "hot zone" of growth really was shifting more to Sarpy County. I even saw an OWH article on all the new subdivisions planned around the ballpark down there.

Even though I want the jest of the growth in Douglas County, I really am so glad that area is developing down there. (I like Sarpy County. In fact, I lived in Sarpy County as a child, just south of Harrison.) I'm glad to come through the I-80/I-680 interchange (going south towards 'L' and 'Q') and look south to see new houses & buildings on the horizon -- finally. It just has remained farmland for years, mostly probably because Millard was hemmed-in by I-80, until the new Harrison/Giles exit opened things up. Also, when you approach Omaha from Lincoln or other points west (like Denver), I'm glad that Omaha's spread is becoming more evident to motorists driving through down there. For years, it was all out of view, mainly happening quite a ways off I-80.

That developing Gretna area/corridor is also nice... I also read Springfield has new planned subdivisions.
I can get pushed out because I'm "too much" for some. Then, an observer of me comes suddenly swooping in to "fill my shoes." People are always more accepting of the new one, because their feathers aren't truly ruffled by them. (Yawn) I can count on it every time.