Speculative Transit Discussion

General discussion on all things Omaha.

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

Busguy2010
County Board

Speculative Transit Discussion

Post by Busguy2010 »

It seems our real transit threads get a little off topic so here is this thread for us to discuss our personal ideals for what we think a transit system should be. Every now and then I like to post a map.

With the BRT and Streetcar looking ever more real, I wanted to share my ideal Omaha transportation system.

Light Rail:

I've had many variations in my head as to how it could and should be done and I have essentially come to the conclusion that we should model a system after Denver's. Dodge street used to be my dream route, but lately I've realized there's just no room for it. These routes are designed to connect our farthest fringes to Downtown and the Airport in approximately 30 to 40 minutes. Overlapping routes will provide inter-suburb travel

BRT:

My BRT routes are designed to bridge the gap between the light rail routes and provide a slightly more local service, albeit still more streamline than a regular bus. These routes will cover relatively long distances, but with more stops than the light rail. BRT is a really loose term for Omaha. I don't foresee any "BRT" in Omaha having dedicated lanes. This will strictly be limited stop, rapid and easily identifiable buses with better stops amenities.

Streetcar:

My streetcar routes for the most part follow historic routing. I deliberately limited the scope of these routes so as to provide service to the densest parts of town using alignments that wouldn't disrupt a large amount of regular auto traffic. Some of the routes are positioned for development opportunities.

Bus routes aren't pictured, but this kind of system would beg for a countless number of opportunities for connecting bus routes both in the burbs and in midtown.

Any thoughts? I'd love to see everybody's ideas too, please share!
Last edited by Busguy2010 on Sun Mar 05, 2017 11:54 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Dundeemaha
Human Relations

Re: Speculative Transit Discussion

Post by Dundeemaha »

Could you change the access so anyone with a link can view and we don't need to login to Google to request access?
Busguy2010
County Board

Re: Speculative Transit Discussion

Post by Busguy2010 »

Yep, my mistake.