What If Sarpy County Had 2 Seats?

General discussion on all things Omaha.

Moderators: Coyote, Omaha Cowboy, Brad, nebugeater

mrsticka
Human Relations
Posts: 637
Joined: Sat Apr 07, 2012 12:31 am
Location: Lincoln

What If Sarpy County Had 2 Seats?

Postby mrsticka » Fri Mar 24, 2017 5:21 am

You know how in some states, there are counties with 2 seats? Well, what if Sarpy had 2 county seats–Papillion and Bellevue? Wouldn't that be something?

What do you suppose the pros and cons would be?

User avatar
nebugeater
County Board
Posts: 6082
Joined: Wed Aug 04, 2004 6:07 pm
Location: Gretna NE

Re: What If Sarpy County Had 2 Seats?

Postby nebugeater » Fri Mar 24, 2017 6:06 am

mrsticka wrote:You know how in some states, there are counties with 2 seats? Well, what if Sarpy had 2 county seats–Papillion and Bellevue? Wouldn't that be something?

What do you suppose the pros and cons would be?


FIsrt question is WHY?

No need to duplicate services. This state needs less county seats not more.
For the record  NEBUGEATER does not equal BUGEATER    !!!!!!!

dezzywilliam1
New to the Neighborhood
Posts: 1
Joined: Mon Jul 10, 2017 12:19 am
Contact:

Re: What If Sarpy County Had 2 Seats?

Postby dezzywilliam1 » Mon Jul 10, 2017 12:37 am

Sarpy County truly has something for everybody, and we hope you will ... the two great rivers between the date just given and 1810

bigredmed1
Home Owners Association
Posts: 114
Joined: Mon May 29, 2017 10:16 pm

Re: What If Sarpy County Had 2 Seats?

Postby bigredmed1 » Mon Jul 10, 2017 7:40 am

nebugeater wrote:
mrsticka wrote:You know how in some states, there are counties with 2 seats? Well, what if Sarpy had 2 county seats–Papillion and Bellevue? Wouldn't that be something?

What do you suppose the pros and cons would be?


FIsrt question is WHY?

No need to duplicate services. This state needs less county seats not more.


We could realistically get by with <40 counties. NM, a bigger state than us, by about 30K sq miles has 23.

User avatar
GetUrban
Parks & Recreation
Posts: 1856
Joined: Sun Nov 23, 2008 3:07 pm
Location: Omaha

Re: What If Sarpy County Had 2 Seats?

Postby GetUrban » Mon Jul 10, 2017 12:36 pm

Douglas and Sarpy really should have been 1 county, when you compare their relative sizes to other counties in Nebraska.
Keeping them separate probably had something to do with the early rivalry between Bellevue and Omaha.
He said "They are some big, ugly red brick buildings"
...and then they were gone.

Dundeemaha
Library Board
Posts: 292
Joined: Thu Apr 04, 2013 11:41 am
Location: Country Club

Re: What If Sarpy County Had 2 Seats?

Postby Dundeemaha » Mon Jul 10, 2017 2:14 pm

GetUrban wrote:Douglas and Sarpy really should have been 1 county, when you compare their relative sizes to other counties in Nebraska.
Keeping them separate probably had something to do with the early rivalry between Bellevue and Omaha.


Definitely, originally in 1854 Douglas County had 2 election precincts, Omaha and Bellevue. In 1857 the legislature split the Bellevue election precinct in to its own county, Sarpy.


Return to “General Discussion”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests