If The North Freeway Was Extended to I-680...

General discussion on all things Omaha.

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

mrsticka
Parks & Recreation

If The North Freeway Was Extended to I-680...

Post by mrsticka »

For years, there's been talk of possibly extending the North Freeway (US 75) all the way up to I-680. If that were to happen, which way would it go? And I mean without destroying any important buildings and landmarks.
Fort Calhoun
New to the Neighborhood

Re: If The North Freeway Was Extended to I-680...

Post by Fort Calhoun »

The plan I heard was to swing east on the Storz Expressway to 16th Street and then turn north. A new bridge would be built and then a new road in Iowa that would connect with 680 at the current exit east of the Mormon Bridge.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

There is a thread on here somewhere where a map was made showing possible renderings of a new extension into Iowa, paving the way for a better downtown Florence. I believe the same thread shows how getting rid of 480 into north downtown could look also.
admiralArchArch
New to the Neighborhood

Post by admiralArchArch »

I wish Omaha was set up like Des Moines, where I-80 and I-35 bypasses downtown to the north and becomes 80/35. And 235 heads east/west into downtown for local traffic and continues to meet up with I-80 again. If you have ever driven 235 to downtown during rush hour, there is not a semi truck in sight.
skinzfan23
City Council

Post by skinzfan23 »

admiralArchArch wrote:I wish Omaha was set up like Des Moines, where I-80 and I-35 bypasses downtown to the north and becomes 80/35. And 235 heads east/west into downtown for local traffic and continues to meet up with I-80 again. If you have ever driven 235 to downtown during rush hour, there is not a semi truck in sight.
If you drive 480 into downtown Omaha during rush hour, there aren't many semis either.
GetUrban
Planning Board

Post by GetUrban »

skinzfan23 wrote:
admiralArchArch wrote:I wish Omaha was set up like Des Moines, where I-80 and I-35 bypasses downtown to the north and becomes 80/35. And 235 heads east/west into downtown for local traffic and continues to meet up with I-80 again. If you have ever driven 235 to downtown during rush hour, there is not a semi truck in sight.
If you drive 480 into downtown Omaha during rush hour, there aren't many semis either.
Yep, I-80 does bypass downtown to the south. That's where the Thru-Truck traffic stays, except for local truck traffic. Highway 75 truck traffic does use the North freeway to N30th St. surprisingly often.
He said "They are some big, ugly red brick buildings"
...and then they were gone.
admiralArchArch
New to the Neighborhood

Post by admiralArchArch »

GetUrban wrote:
skinzfan23 wrote:
Yep, I-80 does bypass downtown to the south. That's where the Thru-Truck traffic stays, except for local truck traffic. Highway 75 truck traffic does use the North freeway to N30th St. surprisingly often.

Ok technically I-80 bypasses downtown, but to get to 480 you have to drive down I-80 with through traffic that consists of lots of truck traffic, which is 90% of the commute.
mgoett
Home Owners Association

Post by mgoett »

Imo------I would like the North Freeway to veer west at Sorenson and head North at 48 st past cooper village and Forest Lawn connecting to 75 North.
mrsticka
Parks & Recreation

Post by mrsticka »

Sometimes I wish I-29 ran through Nebraska instead of Iowa. I've said that before, but it is true.
bigredmed
Parks & Recreation

Post by bigredmed »

mrsticka wrote:Sometimes I wish I-29 ran through Nebraska instead of Iowa. I've said that before, but it is true.
Too many bridges south of Omaha.
daveoma
Parks & Recreation

Post by daveoma »

mrsticka wrote:Sometimes I wish I-29 ran through Nebraska instead of Iowa. I've said that before, but it is true.
I completely agree. Imagine Nebraska City, Plattsmouth, Blair, and Bellevue with 40 years of freeway miles to encourage development and commuting into Omaha. Wow what would've been. I think it would've been very difficult however to build in North O given the controversy of the north expressway. Removing all of the historical structures and neighborhoods required to make way for the freeway alone would've been very painful.

I think we might yet see an approximation of I-29 in Nebraska if the upgrading of highway 75 continues. I think it's definitely probable that a freeway will someday extend from Nebraska City to Blair.
Omaha_corn_burner
Human Relations

Post by Omaha_corn_burner »

daveoma wrote:I think we might yet see an approximation of I-29 in Nebraska if the upgrading of highway 75 continues. I think it's definitely probable that a freeway will someday extend from Nebraska City to Blair.
Let's take it down to Topeka!
Garrett
Planning Board

Post by Garrett »

bigredmed wrote:
That, and interstates were originally meant to bypass cities with branches/off ramps going in, which is where you get 680, 480, etc. and also why I-80 is at the edge of all of the other major Nebraska cities that sit on it. Even if I-29 did run through Nebraska, it probably would have gone around Omaha out west, perhaps running the approximate route of 680.
OMA-->CHI-->NYC
mrsticka
Parks & Recreation

Post by mrsticka »

Or maybe run parallel to 72nd Street?
Busguy2010
County Board

Post by Busguy2010 »

mrsticka wrote:Or maybe run parallel to 72nd Street?
I've always thought if Omaha was like KC and went crazy with freeways, 72nd street would have been a logical addition. I like to imagine a 6 or 8 lane freeway snaking through the valleys along this corridor.
mrsticka
Parks & Recreation

Post by mrsticka »

I've been to large cities with multiple freeways–Minneapolis and Seattle. It's crazy. I've never been to Chicago, Dallas, Miami, LA or New York. So I don't know what their freeways are like. But if they're huge cities, probably constantly gridlocked with heavy traffic.
RockHarbor
Planning Board

Post by RockHarbor »

bigredmed wrote:
It was probably decided to run through Iowa because it starts in Kansas City and diagonals north, naturally leading into Iowa, and building it on the flat Missouri river flood plain is much easier than building it in the rolling topography west of the Missouri River. (Notice I-80 follows the flat flood plain of the Platte River quite a ways, too.)

I wonder if I would like Omaha better if I-480 were removed? In a sense, I would. Because I don't like how the freeway divides downtown in a way. Yet, it is neat having an elevated freeway that you can drive on alongside the Omaha skyline, giving a pleasing vantage point that showcases the skyline and all the new construction to the north. So, I would probably want to keep it. I don't like that sharp curve, though (right by the new Marriott Hotel).

It is going to be nice when they finally connect the North Freeway with I-680. The North Freeway has always felt like a "dead end street" to me -- however the Storz Expressway and Sorensen Parkway help relieve that feeling in a way (in my perspective). I hate being in Northwest Omaha, wanting to go downtown, and your only clean/easy connection is that Sorensen Parkway. Yet, it is better than nothing. I'm glad the Sorensen is there.

I recently went into Downtown Florence. It looks so awesome! Florence really is cute.
I can get pushed out because I'm "too much" for some. Then, an observer of me comes suddenly swooping in to "fill my shoes." People are always more accepting of the new one, because their feathers aren't truly ruffled by them. (Yawn) I can count on it every time.
Uffda
County Board

Post by Uffda »

RockHarbor wrote:
It is going to be nice when they finally connect the North Freeway with I-680. The North Freeway has always felt like a "dead end street" to me -- however the Storz Expressway and Sorensen Parkway help relieve that feeling in a way (in my perspective). I hate being in Northwest Omaha, wanting to go downtown, and your only clean/easy connection is that Sorensen Parkway. Yet, it is better than nothing. I'm glad the Sorensen is there.
Having traveled Sorensen Parkway daily for the past 4 yrs and often otherwise - I have no problem with it. Although some times it can be a speedway. I can be downtown in 15 min by taking Sorensen to N 75 if I need to be.
RockHarbor
Planning Board

Post by RockHarbor »

Uffda wrote:
RockHarbor wrote:
Having traveled Sorensen Parkway daily for the past 4 yrs and often otherwise - I have no problem with it. Although some times it can be a speedway. I can be downtown in 15 min by taking Sorensen to N 75 if I need to be.
Don't get me wrong; I do like it, and it is way more convenient than before it was built. It has helped. They needed to do something. However, I don't think it should be some substitute for a "freeway" connecting downtown to the Northwest burbs. It is a parkway loop strangely not too far within the I-680 loop. It also isn't a clean connection for some people as it curves northward off North 90th. Coming from Bennington, for example, you have to come down the highway, then either connect with it at 90th, or you can go down Highway 36, and make your way down to it along that woodsy, country lane near that Raven Oaks subdivision. I don't like that for the growing, burgeoning Northwest suburbs. It feels clunky & inconvenient to me. It just can't hold the city over forever, imo.
I can get pushed out because I'm "too much" for some. Then, an observer of me comes suddenly swooping in to "fill my shoes." People are always more accepting of the new one, because their feathers aren't truly ruffled by them. (Yawn) I can count on it every time.
mrsticka
Parks & Recreation

Post by mrsticka »

Here's my idea for extending the North Freeway up to I-680. It's not the best design in the world, but I wanted to keep the Forest Lawn Funeral Home fully intact. Also, I even rerouted 30th Street at I-680 to make it continuous through Calhoun. I even added an onramp to eastbound Storz Expressway from Florence Blvd and an off ramp from westbound Storz to Florence. I did that because the airport's that way.

I'll admit this isn't the greatest idea in the world, but it's not the worst. However, it's the best I could come up with.

RockHarbor
Planning Board

Post by RockHarbor »

I like that better than the plan they have. It feels pointed more towards the growing Northwest suburbs. The plan they have makes Omaha folks cross over to Iowa, then loop back down to Omaha. I just dont like connections that make you backtrack. Whatever. Would they just build the gosh darn thing? How many years do we have to wait & wonder about this desired I-680 and North Freeway connection?
GetUrban
Planning Board

Post by GetUrban »

RockHarbor wrote:I like that better than the plan they have. It feels pointed more towards the growing Northwest suburbs. The plan they have makes Omaha folks cross over to Iowa, then loop back down to Omaha. I just dont like connections that make you backtrack. Whatever. Would they just build the gosh darn thing? How many years do we have to wait & wonder about this desired I-680 and North Freeway connection?
Hate to disappoint you, but the projected future demand and current traffic counts do not really justify the need. Omaha is growing faster northwesterly, much further west than north. Part of it has to do with school districts and where most people want to live.

I think we're more likely to see an outer loop connection of HYW 31 or 133 to I-680 in Iowa, passing between Blair and Ft. Calhoun, although property owners in the path would adamantly disagree and rightly fight it tooth and nail.

Making a nice looking road map is not a primary concern when you stop and think about the disruption and what it would displace. You guys are like young Robert Moses.
Omaha_corn_burner
Human Relations

Post by Omaha_corn_burner »

This seems pretty easy. It's just east of 16th street. There's open land there, but the highway would need to be elevated due to some trains.

Also I would never drive on this road.

RockHarbor
Planning Board

Post by RockHarbor »

GetUrban wrote:
RockHarbor wrote:I like that better than the plan they have. It feels pointed more towards the growing Northwest suburbs. The plan they have makes Omaha folks cross over to Iowa, then loop back down to Omaha. I just dont like connections that make you backtrack. Whatever. Would they just build the gosh darn thing? How many years do we have to wait & wonder about this desired I-680 and North Freeway connection?
Hate to disappoint you, but the projected future demand and current traffic counts do not really justify the need. Omaha is growing faster northwesterly, much further west than north. Part of it has to do with school districts and where most people want to live.

I think we're more likely to see an outer loop connection of HYW 31 or 133 to I-680 in Iowa, passing between Blair and Ft. Calhoun, although property owners in the path would adamantly disagree and rightly fight it tooth and nail.

Making a nice looking road map is not a primary concern when you stop and think about the disruption and what it would displace. You guys are like young Robert Moses.
Do you really think that 133/I-680 connection will happen? I want a connection there, but I thought it was in my wildest dreams. It could also swurve & snake downward and pass south of Fort Calhoun -- passing through more open fields & farmland, instead of bumpy, hilly, woodsy terrain (full of acreages) that is present further north. The demand: Even in the present, I think most people that live north of Dodge & West of I-680 would use the I-680/North Freeway route if it connected nicely. I don't think people who live around North 156th (south of Bennington) want to take Dodge or I-80 downtown. Its a bit of a tiring trek, imo. The map aesthetics: I don't want Omaha to have that "afterthought" look with an awkward & strange layout of freeways. I hate that look.
Last edited by RockHarbor on Thu Jun 22, 2017 7:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RockHarbor
Planning Board

Post by RockHarbor »

Omaha_corn_burner wrote:This seems pretty easy. It's just east of 16th street. There's open land there, but the highway would need to be elevated due to some trains.

Also I would never drive on this road.

That's the actual plan...isnt it? It honestly isn't that far-off from just taking I-29 south to downtown -- just one exit away, in fact. Ugh, why can't they just bulldoze a huge section out of a Ponca Hill, and build a big connecting interchange further west (in Nebraska)? It's so green & moist over there we could have limestone retaining walls w/ healthy vines adjacent to curving lanes & stuff. Another thing: If a nice, clean connection were made between I-680 and the North Freeway (somewhere between 48th & 60th St), we can logically conclude that a lot more traffic would be drawn north on I-680. Nowadays, the traffic thins out and the freeway gets suddenly very quiet (just the same as it did growing up) after the Irvington/Blair exit. Therefore, nothing hardly changes over there on that stretch. If much more traffic were present, then developments would start to take-off, I gather. It would also relieve some off Dodge and I-80, as far as people going downtown . In contrast, I-80 & Dodge have both dramatically increased in traffic volume since I was young.
mrsticka
Parks & Recreation

Post by mrsticka »

Okay, here's a much better rendition of my idea for a North Freeway extension up to I-680. You'll notice that it doesn't veer north a block west of 42nd Street now. And there's no exit at Fontenelle Blvd. There is at Curtis Avenue now. I had to put an exit in somewhere. But 30th Street is still altered to be continuous through Wyman Heights (north of Florence) and now turns into Calhoun Road.

Last one, I promise.

BRoss
IT Director

Post by BRoss »

I feel like if anything, have it just run the course of Sorensen, head up Ida around 90th and connect up to Blair High continuing the freeway west of there.
mrsticka
Parks & Recreation

Post by mrsticka »

In my opinion, which no one will agree with, US 75 was meant to be a freeway through Omaha.
buildomaha
Human Relations

Post by buildomaha »

mrsticka wrote:In my opinion, which no one will agree with, US 75 was meant to be a freeway through Omaha.
It would make a lot of sense...
#gohawks
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

buildomaha wrote:
mrsticka wrote:In my opinion, which no one will agree with, US 75 was meant to be a freeway through Omaha.
It would make a lot of sense...
Ask many people and N 75 was meant to divide North Omaha.
RockHarbor
Planning Board

Post by RockHarbor »

Mrsticka: I really like your plan/idea. I just would rather have an I-680/I-80-like interchange. Clover-leaf interchanges aren't my favorite. I was looking at the tall hills south of I-680 around 60th-65th, and you could almost tunnel a freeway through them. I know tunnels are not a common Omaha thing, but would something like that work? (Also: Those spacious, quiet north side entrances to the Raven Oaks subdivision don't have to be there. Those removed would help give room for a freeway meeting & linking to I-680, I think.)
mrsticka
Parks & Recreation

Post by mrsticka »

Thanks. I guess I made the I-680 interchange a cloverleaf because it was easier to make than a bunch of flyover ramps. I didn't even put in collector/distributor lanes. I probably should have, but I didn't. I know some people don't think it's a good idea for a freeway to go through the area because of crime and hills. It's a little late to be worried about crime and as for the hills, I'm sure drivers could navigate through them. I mean, in the western states where there are lots of mountains, interstate highways go through them–I-5, I-10, I-15, I-25, I-40, I-70, I-80 and I-90. They ALL go through mountains. Terrain's less stable in those mountains.
RockHarbor
Planning Board

Post by RockHarbor »

Yeah, I think they should be able to work around the hills, instead of tunnel through them, too. That is typical in Omaha. The hills almost have to like the big, big hills around Charleston, West Virginia to justify tunneling. I think it's so obvious a freeway to I-680 will eventually be needed to develop the metropolitan area in a balanced way. That north side is just neglected & quiet, and I think it affects even the new subdivisions at 120th & State -- ones that seem to grow at a snail's pace. You can tell Douglas County is preparing for future anticipated growth with the widening of Highway 133 up to Blair. (Even Mutual of Omaha built a big building up there. It's really nice.) Omaha doesn't tend to let subdivisions "leap frog" very much, but sometimes I think developers need to start subdivisions & strip malls & a grocery store up near the Douglas/Washington County line. It's really pretty up there (high land, big big skies). As the area grows & grows (hopefully), subdivisions & developments will eventually creep south towards Omaha where it will all connect eventually, I think. Just wondering... (The new hot area does seem to be that LaVista-Millard area, and go figure: It has the same easy access to I-80 & downtown that mushroomed the SW Millard area in the 60's/70's/80's.)
RockHarbor
Planning Board

Post by RockHarbor »

Another thing: I just got back from the verdant Twin Cities. I try to get up there every so often. Of course, I think they are true "urban delights" in their own right, like cities like Seattle, Portland, Boston, ect. are. To be fair, midwestern Kansas City also has a true & satisfying "urban delight" aspect that I feel in their downtown, Crown Center area, Westport area, the Plaza, and Ward Parkway. I think Omaha & Des Moines are becoming sharp "mini Minneapolis/Denver/KCs" in their own right, but we're still on our way there. Omaha & DM are definitely up & coming, and that is exciting. But, in Denver, Kansas City, and the Twin Cities, I see a complete & solid freeway system in every corner of the metropolitian area -- like they stopped at nothing to get it and lay it out right. In Omaha, we have far less freeways, and we have this silly, non-connect issue with our North Freeway and I-680, that goes on & on & on. I'm just like "Really?" To ease the tension, we squeeze a parkway through and "call it good." Yet, is it good? The north side of Omaha is like "frozen in time." I feel like I'm still sixteen driving thru there. Compared to 25 years ago, the I-680 northern loop traffic is still very light, while the much heavier traffic on the wider I-80 shocks me even at 9pm now. The nice, new northwest side of Omaha is likely stunted. And, so on. (I'm not saying connecting the two is going to make us bloom into a full-fledged "Minneapolis", and I realize there is the crime issue bad wrap on the north side, but come on. I realize it all costs big bucks, too. But, it seems like a goofy hang-up. If Minneapolis & KC & Denver were living people, I almost imagine them covering their mouths & trying not to laugh & giggle at "that Omaha...that leaves freeways just short of being connected.") :-)
buildomaha
Human Relations

Post by buildomaha »

RockHarbor wrote:Another thing: I just got back from the verdant Twin Cities. I try to get up there every so often. Of course, I think they are true "urban delights" in their own right, like cities like Seattle, Portland, Boston, ect. are. To be fair, midwestern Kansas City also has a true & satisfying "urban delight" aspect that I feel in their downtown, Crown Center area, Westport area, the Plaza, and Ward Parkway. I think Omaha & Des Moines are becoming sharp "mini Minneapolis/Denver/KCs" in their own right, but we're still on our way there. Omaha & DM are definitely up & coming, and that is exciting. But, in Denver, Kansas City, and the Twin Cities, I see a complete & solid freeway system in every corner of the metropolitian area -- like they stopped at nothing to get it and lay it out right. In Omaha, we have far less freeways, and we have this silly, non-connect issue with our North Freeway and I-680, that goes on & on & on. I'm just like "Really?" To ease the tension, we squeeze a parkway through and "call it good." Yet, is it good? The north side of Omaha is like "frozen in time." I feel like I'm still sixteen driving thru there. Compared to 25 years ago, the I-680 northern loop traffic is still very light, while the much heavier traffic on the wider I-80 shocks me even at 9pm now. The nice, new northwest side of Omaha is likely stunted. And, so on. (I'm not saying connecting the two is going to make us bloom into a full-fledged "Minneapolis", and I realize there is the crime issue bad wrap on the north side, but come on. I realize it all costs big bucks, too. But, it seems like a goofy hang-up. If Minneapolis & KC & Denver were living people, I almost imagine them covering their mouths & trying not to laugh & giggle at "that Omaha...that leaves freeways just short of being connected.") :-)
We're really acting like a metropolitan area that reacts to change rather than planning for the future and that is a good way to get deep in trouble. We could be the next LA if we wanted to with the lack of initiative to get something like connecting the freeway to 680, because thats such a crazy idea right!
#gohawks
RockHarbor
Planning Board

Post by RockHarbor »

Yeah, exactly... That's what it feels like sometimes. Yet, you can see how much Omaha does plan ahead by all the wide grassy sides/shoulders along main streets in West Omaha, all in preparation of future widening. I also wonder if West Dodge Road was always planned on being a freeway eventually because businesses were never allowed to build along it in the fashion of West Center Road. They always had more of a frontage road access, or had entrances & exits off a north-south major street. I do think Omaha is planning that southside freeway-- it seems to me. And, connecting I-680 and the North Freeway doesn't necessarily mean the immediate north/northwest side will grow immediately. (The northern side of Kansas City has taken years to start filling in admist all their freeways. The new southern freeway around Des Moines hasn't caused a lot of new growth.) Yet, that new connection would change a lot, and it is fully justified already with subdivisions enveloping Bennington, imo. Imagine driving Omaha's freeways and knowing there is a clean connection downtown on the north side. That restriction (I'm sure we all feel) on the north side would be gone. It would feel much nicer, better, imo. Looking at Google Maps (satellite view) there is no easy solution, imo. There's always a sacred cemetery in the way, or a historic, established golf course, or Downtown Florence, or a lovely, hilly subdivision it seems. Those hills and adjacent Highway 36 make it difficult for an interchange. If only the bend in the river weren't there, and allowed more room. (I almost wonder if we could "call" Minneapolis or Kansas City, cities with perfect, complete freeway systems, and ask them what they would do in this case.) MrSticka's plan is the best, imo, and logical, but will it still work w/ the northeast corner of Highway 75 and I-680 now being developed? In St Charles County, Missouri (outside St Louis) they squeezed in a much needed freeway (364) using existing Highway 94's footprint part of the way. I drove it and couldn't believe they accomplished that. I'm not sure it was planned. My family lived there for 8 years, and almost bought a house in a subdivision skimmed by it, and there was no talk of a new freeway going in then. But, it was much needed.
mgoett
Home Owners Association

Post by mgoett »

I said it before and I say it again. we already have a bridge to Iowa in the 680 bridge. We also have a 2 lane each way all the way to Fort Calhoun. A lot of folks live off the North Freeway and more development would happen if the north freeway was connected on the Nebraska side. Make the Freeway connected at 48 and to Sorenson between the The Cemetary and Coopers Village. Maybe they have too much money to be bought.
RockHarbor
Planning Board

Post by RockHarbor »

I don't have to swoop down like some hawk everytime somebody comments in here, but I am obsessing about this, and it has been for days now. (As usual, Omaha has me obsessed.) I agree the interchange/connection needs to be in Nebraska. I don't feel people want to cross the Mormon Bridge to get to the connection (you might as well stop by Dairy Delight near Crescent while you're at it, or take I-29 South to downtown. It's prettier along the Bluffs anyways...). I was looking at it all today. What about using the Sorensen Parkway bed, and then swooping it straight north just east of 60th Street, then curving it over around the north side of the Omaha Country Club to meet an interchange at I-680 around 65th? Just an idea...as we are all throwing them out there. I hate when a new freeway put in was an afterthought, and it literally makes silly & sharp 'L' turns around existing, unbulldozed structures, but I don't think that layout would be that bad myself...
GetUrban
Planning Board

Post by GetUrban »

If you must mess with a new North Freeway to N I-680 / HWY 75 connection, I think it would be far less disruptive to re-route HWY 75 further southeast from its intersection with I-680 & HWY 36 over to a route paralleling or elevated over John J Pershing Drive along the river and connect it to the Storz Expressway. That would give good access to the airport, nearby industrial areas, and a connection via the North Freeway down to I-480. A connection
north across the river, aligning with 16th St. could still be built, allowing easy connection to I-29 without traversing back to the Mormon bridge. There's even already an interchange east of the Mormon Bridge, on the Iowa side.

It would be a really bad idea to route a new interstate-type freeway through the truly unique areas by North 60th-65th and OCC, along with the resulting traffic and noise....in my opinion. It's too easy to look at a map or Google earth and propose a nice new route without thinking about how disruptive and detrimental it would actually be to what is already there. I hope Omaha shy's away from routing interstates through already-established neighborhoods. That would be a huge step backwards...and is SO 1960s.

Other observations....HWY 36 already has right-of-way for 4 lanes west of 72nd street. A 4-lane section was actually built between 84th and 96th but the north two lanes were eventually abandoned due to lack of need/traffic. Also, have you noticed almost every left turn lane within, or to and from, north Omaha does not have a left turn signal? That irks me. It's like the traffic engineers don't want anyone to go to or leave there.
RockHarbor
Planning Board

Post by RockHarbor »

There is no way around bulldozing at least some housing ANY choice they make on constructing this tricky & challenging North Freeway/I-680 connection -- unless somebody waves a magic wand, or magic carpet rides are an option. (I don't believe in or like magic...just saying...) Yes, the 1960's saw a lot of bulldozing houses w/ the first interstates being put in. But, still in 2017, houses sit on the ground, and are sometimes in the way of the greater good of a city and its progress. Unless it's on the registered list of historic places, drywall, brick & morter, rafters & shingles, and somebody's favorite picture hanging over a couch, shouldn't stand in the way of a growing, booming, developing metropolitian area and proper, balanced, convenient traffic flow & needed major routes, imo.
Last edited by RockHarbor on Wed Jun 28, 2017 2:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.